Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Resolution to the ranger/shield problem »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/29/24 at 06:59:29

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Ranger Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   Resolution to the ranger/shield problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Resolution to the ranger/shield problem  (Read 1091 times)
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

Resolution to the ranger/shield problem
« on: 01/28/03 at 01:30:56 »
Quote Quote

Idea:

If you want to remove the shield off the ranger it could replaced with a 'Metal Splint' or 'Wooden Brace' etc.
Basically it is a length of contoured metal or wood that is strapped to the forearm for defense purposes, thus not requiring the use of the hand to wield it. AR would have to be significantly lower than say, that of a fighter or paladins shield, due to the fact it offers alot less protection, and having a halberd jamming down into your forearm will not be without pain and some form of bruising/damage.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Bun
United_Kingdom 

~¤ RôÇK§tåR§ ¤~

View Profile

Re: Resolution to the ranger/shield problem
« Reply #1 on: 01/29/03 at 22:42:52 »
Quote Quote

or quivers could be added lie say wooden quiver could add +3 base damage and say soem vampuric but ranger are still very powerfull
IP Logged

~¤ RôÇK§tåR§ ¤~
Sapper2

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 01/30/03 at 23:30:41 »
Quote Quote

Why in the world would a quiver deal more damage!? And vamparicness.... do you know what a quiver is!?
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: 01/31/03 at 00:24:28 »
Quote Quote

LOL

Agreed with Sapper 100%
GO THE SPLINT/BRACE!!!  Grin
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Dwaerkyn

GIVE IT TO USSSSS!!!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 02/02/03 at 22:53:38 »
Quote Quote

LOL you don't even know what a quiver is!!!!! Wooden quiver?

I think that rangers should be able to use bucklers for bows, but then is they wanted to use tower sheilds they would have to use a crossbow,  which would do less damage then a bow, but would have a +1 stamina recharge.

IP Logged

I'm hungry!
Carpe_Noctem
Sweden 

Like a moonshield

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 04/10/03 at 12:26:33 »
Quote Quote

Crossbow is a 2 handed weapon... and you even need 3 limbs <2 hands and a foot> to reload a crossbow... So who on earth would you think that a Crossbow... Who has longer range... more accuracy, more power etc etc could be brought in as a 1 hand weapon?

Someone people have obviously no clue what has been going on in the past... <let's face it... it's a medievil kind of game> And Second of all.. how the hell would you be able to aim with a crossbow with merely one hand? how many of you go out Hunting <if so> swinging around a Rifle easily one handedly... and hitting?  

The rifles are produced with the crossbow as the basic idea... you have the same kind of posture while firing etc etc <on later models> Thus placing the crossbow so that you can easily see the way you are aiming it in... and at... partly against the Shoulder for support and partly you have to hold it somewhere along the middle region to be able to aim it sufficiently?

Right?

And a Crossbow takes alot longer to reload...

There is a slight alternative... you could make a gearbolt crossbow with a turniping mechanism... but that would kinda just take out any kind of realism... Excepts in the sense of Rapid fire...

Crossbows is not the alternative... Nor is a Flick bow etc etc

Bows to the people!?
IP Logged

"If no one see's me crying, so what's the reason to cry?"
-AngeluS-

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 04/10/03 at 12:30:54 »
Quote Quote

on 04/10/03 at 12:26:33, Carpe_Noctem wrote:
Crossbow is a 2 handed weapon... and you even need 3 limbs <2 hands and a foot> to reload a crossbow... So who on earth would you think that a Crossbow... Who has longer range... more accuracy, more power etc etc could be brought in as a 1 hand weapon?

Someone people have obviously no clue what has been going on in the past... <let's face it... it's a medievil kind of game> And Second of all.. how the hell would you be able to aim with a crossbow with merely one hand? how many of you go out Hunting <if so> swinging around a Rifle easily one handedly... and hitting?  

The rifles are produced with the crossbow as the basic idea... you have the same kind of posture while firing etc etc <on later models> Thus placing the crossbow so that you can easily see the way you are aiming it in... and at... partly against the Shoulder for support and partly you have to hold it somewhere along the middle region to be able to aim it sufficiently?

Right?

And a Crossbow takes alot longer to reload...

There is a slight alternative... you could make a gearbolt crossbow with a turniping mechanism... but that would kinda just take out any kind of realism... Excepts in the sense of Rapid fire...

Crossbows is not the alternative... Nor is a Flick bow etc etc

Bows to the people!?

First off all a crossbow can be a two-handed weapon but also a one-handed depends on the size....
second u have crossbows who can fire up to 8 arrows in under 10 seconds...

Dont talk about crossbows if all u know is the one they used in the middle ages
IP Logged

I can't heeeaaar yooouuu!

Carpe_Noctem
Sweden 

Like a moonshield

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 04/10/03 at 12:48:44 »
Quote Quote

The point being... The gme is situated in the middle ages or about that... it's a Medievil game as I stated above. And the point once more then?

To make it realistic!

You can't Rapid with a Crossbow unless it's a gearbolt crossbow which has the same kind of mechanism as a 12 gauge Shotgun with a <Censored?> mechanism.

It takes longer to reload a Crossbow <from, that age>

A crossbow hits harder... why do you think they abandoned the bow?

A crossbow however requires less space... you can lay down and shoot it... but you still have to stand to reload it <or somehow in some odd position reload it laying down...>

The crossbow was ideal for using in narrow spaces as where you cannot even fit for an example long bow in... you can operate a Crossbow fully...  
<Still the point is... they didn't have that knowledge of a perfected C*cking device in that time... and they bow on the crossbow was to hard to even pull back to do it with one hand...>

So if we are talking about keeping it realistic here?

`Please do read the other threads before pointing out obvious things Angelus...

If we are to be like that... why not give a Ranger an Uzi for Rapid fire? Maybe a Shot gun for flaming arrow?

<Anyone see where I am going with this?>

The point being... a Crossbow won't cut it in this game if we want it to be "REALISTIC" So read up on the other threads before coming with any 'smart' comments </sarcasm?>

I would like to point out that I'm not thrashing you people who have really put in an effort to try and figure out the solution to this little problem... I'm merely giving you a warning on How things will get worse if you don't think before you e.g would put in a crossbow into the game.

That is not a solution. That would merely bring the game further away from the Realism most of you are looking for.
IP Logged

Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: 04/10/03 at 12:48:45 »
Quote Quote

why the hell would rangers need a shield anyway Cheesy

just remove the shields Cheesy
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
-AngeluS-

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 04/10/03 at 12:55:35 »
Quote Quote

realistic ... uhm then also remove the rubber knife.

And did they have museums in the middle ages (elevator?) Undecided

IP Logged

Carpe_Noctem
Sweden 

Like a moonshield

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 04/10/03 at 13:03:23 »
Quote Quote

That is already in the game... <the elevator and rubber knife etc etc>

But we can prevent this game from totally getting out of hand.
   Why justify bringing in 'unrealistic' items by saying there is already 2 other things that isn't realistic... is that a reason to make things worse? I somehow can't seem to get what you are hinting at? Was there really a point to that post?

And as for the "Remove shield totally post" Have you even read the other posts?  
Fact: Rangers get relatively low HP's
Fact: Low armor would kill off the rangers totally...
Fact: Rangers can either deal huge amounts of dmg... or none... Where as a fighter hardly ever misses an entire round nor do a Mage

And once more, that is stated in other posts around this place... read them, and then talk?
IP Logged

-AngeluS-

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 04/10/03 at 16:05:08 »
Quote Quote

k gonna stop posting here now ...... u write waaayyy too long gives me a headache  Grin
IP Logged

Jurian
Netherlands 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: 04/10/03 at 16:09:28 »
Quote Quote

on 04/10/03 at 13:03:23, Carpe_Noctem wrote:

Why justify bringing in 'unrealistic' items by saying there is already 2 other things that isn't realistic... is that a reason to make things worse? I somehow can't seem to get what you are hinting at? Was there really a point to that post?

Fact: Rangers can either deal huge amounts of dmg... or none... Where as a fighter hardly ever misses an entire round nor do a Mage

And once more, that is stated in other posts around this place... read them, and then talk?

hmm lol read some more in the mage part of this forum there are complaints about mages missing/fizzle too often lol Cheesy

edit: spelling Cheesy
IP Logged

Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #13 on: 04/11/03 at 04:36:49 »
Quote Quote

on 04/10/03 at 13:03:23, Carpe_Noctem wrote:

rangers hit a lot, if you got good ones
IP Logged
Carpe_Noctem
Sweden 

Like a moonshield

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 04/11/03 at 10:52:09 »
Quote Quote

I've had 'good' Arch rangers do rounds on me... and Miss all but on shoot... and that is with Crits with around 17 dex as well.
IP Logged

Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #15 on: 04/12/03 at 09:15:43 »
Quote Quote

yeeeeeeah
IP Logged
Jurian
Netherlands 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: 04/12/03 at 10:02:12 »
Quote Quote

on 04/11/03 at 10:52:09, Carpe_Noctem wrote:
I've had 'good' Arch rangers do rounds on me... and Miss all but on shoot... and that is with Crits with around 17 dex as well.

never happened when i tried to kill with supreme i hit 2-5 times 95% of the time sometimes hit once but hit never? not me Cheesy (supreme has 23 dex so maybe that's the diff but not sure)
IP Logged

Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
Pazzer

Prepare to be burnt

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 04/24/03 at 20:13:31 »
Quote Quote

(To whoever said that rangers cant were shields because of their bows)   I have seen many games/films were the ranger has a shield strapped to his arm not holding onto it meaning he can shoot and block
IP Logged

contact me on Pazzer
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #18 on: 04/24/03 at 20:52:23 »
Quote Quote

yeah, but i doubt they weigh as much as the spiked shield
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.