Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - New Abilities. »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/06/24 at 17:15:21

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Ranger Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   New Abilities.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Abilities.  (Read 2314 times)
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

New Abilities.
« on: 01/25/03 at 18:42:45 »
Quote Quote

Rangers are perhaps the most superior class.

First things first it takes 2 hands to use a bow and arrow effectively. Lets lose the shields.

Flaming arrow seems to be of no use within the game, the chance to poison has to be increased to about 75% or more. The damage the poison does then should be increased dramatically.

New ranger of bows needed as every ranger has an enchanted bow. Once again there needs to be variety.

As talked about before maybe Rangers would need to use 1 or 2 spaces of the inventory to carry arrows. A new bar would needed to show the amount of arrows they have left. Maybe a limit to the amount they can carry too.

Shield could be replaced by a Quiver. Different quivers could be bought at differing price to hold a differing amount of arrows.
IP Logged
Sera
USA 

Herself in the Heavens, Her beam on the waves..EAP

View Profile

Re: New Abilities.
« Reply #1 on: 01/25/03 at 23:07:08 »
Quote Quote

Oh yes, lets take the shield away from the rangers, therefore lowering thier armor EVEN MORE!!! If you take away our shield, we need more armor in some other manner, it's bad enough already.

I am currently at a whole whopping 96 armor. You take away my shield and I'm down to 76. Tell me exactly, how I'm supposed to be protected without it.  

Also take into consideration, I have Spider gaunts which add 6 armor. Not everyone has those. Now we're down to 70.

Let's not forget my 4 crs...that's another 12 armor, that not everyone else has. Now were down to 68 armor.  

Mages have 32 armor with nothing special on. Just Golden Robes and a silver amulet. With Aura of Protection, that is bumped up to 80 armor. That is 28 more armor than rangers would be with just your base items.

They've already lowered our hit % and how hard we hit, now you want to lower the armor too? What's next? Lowering our HP too?
IP Logged

I won't go.. I won't sleep... I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me... I won't leave...I can't hide...I cannot be, until you're resting here with me...
Cyric

the One and the All, God of Murder and Intrigue...

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: 01/26/03 at 00:00:36 »
Quote Quote

I agree that to use a bow you cannot use a shield.  I'm not saying that this means they 'should' have lower armor; if this is done, perhaps other armor options willl need implimented (maybe).  Also, the potential of different types of quivers of arrows (affecting attack damage/to hit) would be a considerable addition to the class.
IP Logged

Patron of Deception and Chaos, Prince of Lies, the Dark Sun, rightful Lord of the Dead, and known to some as "the Mad God."
Sin2

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 01/26/03 at 04:38:35 »
Quote Quote

If rangers do get there shields taken away, i agree there needs to be something takes its place.  Whether it be a new item that also gives armor to rangers, or maybe increasing the hit rate, or hit points of their atacks, something would need to be given to make them plausible.  

Here are some things I have seen on other abilities/ideas I have seen on other games that Rangers have the ability to do (In know way am I saying they should or should not have any of these so do not flame the ideas)

-Use small round shields on not drawing arm.
-Have seen them with ability to covert in forrset/nature areas
-Critical shot(basically a death wielding blow that takes all stamina).
-Hypnotise
-Charm animals to follow and attack.
-Armor increasing magic
-Dexterity increasing magic
-Strength increasing magic
-Ability to weild blades w/larger shield.

Like I said above I do not think they should be given all these, but just trying to give some ideas.  The way I have seen them made in other games is basically like a cousin to the druid, but with out the religousness of nature.
IP Logged
Sera
USA 

Herself in the Heavens, Her beam on the waves..EAP

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 01/26/03 at 05:47:45 »
Quote Quote

Oh yes, that's another of my problems. Lower our armor by taking away our shields and THEN make us take up valuable space in our inventory for arrows!!!  

Not to mention that you will have to carry a TON of arrows to bosses and while training (and pking). Now you have no pots because you have a full inventory of arrows that you can't use because you DIED cause you can't carry any pots to heal with!!
IP Logged

I won't go.. I won't sleep... I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me... I won't leave...I can't hide...I cannot be, until you're resting here with me...
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: 01/26/03 at 06:03:52 »
Quote Quote

Well it only makes it realistic, but if your going to do this with two-handed bows you might as well do it to fighters with halberds (a two arm weapon).  Also maybe have crossbows available and you'd be able to carry shields.
« Last Edit: 01/26/03 at 06:27:57 by Stotic » IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Oblivion

Psychedelic

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 01/26/03 at 07:23:10 »
Quote Quote

sera the arrows would only take 1-2 slots and that could be around say 300 arrows for a slot. they are not going to run out of arrows anytime soon..  

Maybe different types of arrows.
Some that when they hit someone they take off a point or 2 in a certain stat.
Some that can lower dmg of the player.
IP Logged

And so in the sky shines the electric eye supernatural king takes earth under his wing Heaven's golden chorus sings, Hells angels flap their wings Evil Souls fall to Hell ever trapped in burning cells
Pyros

Email

« Reply #7 on: 01/26/03 at 10:08:23 »
Quote Quote

on 01/25/03 at 23:07:08, Sera wrote:
Oh yes, lets take the shield away from the rangers, therefore lowering thier armor EVEN MORE!!! If you take away our shield, we need more armor in some other manner, it's bad enough already.

I am currently at a whole whopping 96 armor. You take away my shield and I'm down to 76. Tell me exactly, how I'm supposed to be protected without it.  

Also take into consideration, I have Spider gaunts which add 6 armor. Not everyone has those. Now we're down to 70.

Let's not forget my 4 crs...that's another 12 armor, that not everyone else has. Now were down to 68 armor.  

Mages have 32 armor with nothing special on. Just Golden Robes and a silver amulet. With Aura of Protection, that is bumped up to 80 armor. That is 28 more armor than rangers would be with just your base items.

They've already lowered our hit % and how hard we hit, now you want to lower the armor too? What's next? Lowering our HP too?

Another person that doesn't want their best class to be made slightly worse? Mages have to spend like 80k or something to get Golden Robes and a Silver Amulet, which is more than what rangers pay for their armour, AND THEY GET MORE!  

The arrow idea is good, it makes the game more realistic, but maybe it could have a seperate slot instead of one/two in the inventory?  

PS. Lets not forget that Aura of Protection costs around 500k (Not sure of the exact price)
IP Logged
Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 01/26/03 at 10:21:35 »
Quote Quote

Was it not suggested earlier having a quiver that would be equipped in place of shield.  Then maybe make an extra slot on bar on how many arrows you have along with what type, leaving your inventory open (unlike mages who have to use their whole inventory to hold mana and be able to fight).
IP Logged
Pyros

Email

« Reply #9 on: 01/26/03 at 11:01:23 »
Quote Quote

I think it was, but I can't remember what topic it was in.
IP Logged
Schizo
United_Kingdom 

No more Mr. Nice Guy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: 01/26/03 at 12:22:50 »
Quote Quote

Rangers are sappose to have low armor due to there speed, and when using there bow, they stand a distence from there enemy usually, not right infront of them  Undecided
IP Logged

"In the name of God, Impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal d**nation. Amen." Hellsing
Mammon
USA 

Yup...

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 01/26/03 at 14:35:30 »
Quote Quote

Ranger are quick so they shouldn't have very high armor,they should have a higher dodge rate.I think it is realistic to have quivers in your inventory even though I don't like taking up space in my inventory with them, as also I feel it is realistic that they cannot use shields with a bow, or fighters with a halberd and a shield.
IP Logged
Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 01/26/03 at 20:30:32 »
Quote Quote

That's something really bad with nightmist; every weapon in the game being "one handed" -  even though it would be impossible to use some of them with one hand. Halberds, bows, and a couple of swords in the game should use both the weapon and the shield space.. Kiss
IP Logged

Fair enough.
Mammon
USA 

Yup...

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 01/26/03 at 21:34:54 »
Quote Quote

Yes and each of which, as discussed in the past, should have its own advantages and disadvantages, like with rangers (This is a ranger discussion forum right?) should be able to choose different styles of arrows, some maybe that increase damage slighty, maybe hit more often, do some elemental damage or cast some debuff spell that weakens the enemies such as:

Flame Arrow: Fire damage,probably small maybe does more damage to enemies that hate fire.

Ice Arrow
Earth Arrow
Wind Arrow
Water Arrow  
Ice Arror: all same as fire arrow with appropriate elements.

Arrow of Sloth: Has a % to cast slow on opponents, making one less stamina per round return.

Enfeebling Arrow: Has a % of lowering the enemies strength slightly. ( Does not stack)

Mind Thrusting Arrow: % of lowering enemies intelligence.

and so on...of course if these or any others were added other classes would have to get weapons just like these, or something that allows something simialar in order to keep rangers from making all other classes useless.
IP Logged
JLH
Game Creator / Administrator
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: 01/27/03 at 03:51:30 »
Quote Quote

As i said before, i do like the arrow idea, where the arrows take the shield slot, and you can have various different arrows 'equipped'. But i'm not sure how well it would work in Nightmist. 3 attacks per round (10 seconds) is 18 arrows a minute, is 1080 arrows in 1 hour of constant fighting.
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: 01/27/03 at 04:05:51 »
Quote Quote

on 01/27/03 at 03:51:30, JLH wrote:
As i said before, i do like the arrow idea, where the arrows take the shield slot, and you can have various different arrows 'equipped'. But i'm not sure how well it would work in Nightmist. 3 attacks per round (10 seconds) is 18 arrows a minute, is 1080 arrows in 1 hour of constant fighting.

Better stock up on those arrows!
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
PopTart

King Newbie!!!

xxm2themxx
View Profile

« Reply #16 on: 01/27/03 at 06:00:09 »
Quote Quote

The mages mana would still cost alot more then rangers arrows.
IP Logged

Every decade there is one newbie,One newbie with the uncanny skill to ask so many easily answered questions he can drive all Nightmist elders to retirement.That one chosen man is declared King Newbie!
Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 01/27/03 at 09:00:19 »
Quote Quote

Would have to agree on that one, it is really expensive to do anything with a mage, so unless you have unlimited magic (of course not realistic), then there shouldn't be unlimited arrows.
IP Logged
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 01/27/03 at 19:16:00 »
Quote Quote

Arrow of Sloth......

now ive heard some funny ideas thats one of the best.

Someone was killed by someonelses rapid fire from their Enchanted Bow firing an Arrow of Sloth

As for arrows, couldnt you use the magic bar, fix it at say 200 for rangers, mana manacrystals mage/pally/druid/cleric only then add small/large quivers of arrows which are like ranger only 'mana crystals', then make bows need one 'magic' to use, and dualshot another?
IP Logged
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: 01/27/03 at 19:22:53 »
Quote Quote

Oh, and if you rapidfire with 3 stam and kill with your first shot, thats still 3 arrows down the drain...

Dunno if that idea would be popular though, more likely one of those 'realism over what people want' questions like shield+bow or hally.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.