Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - The Land of Hades & Elysian Fields »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/05/24 at 23:20:10

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   The Land of Hades & Elysian Fields
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Land of Hades & Elysian Fields  (Read 939 times)
Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

« on: 08/22/03 at 17:51:01 »
Quote Quote

I figured this area would be a great asset to the realm of nightmist but also decided, because of the size of this area, it needs alot more backplanning for those who decide to build this so here follows my previous idea, changed, more depth and hopefully much improved.

The Fun Bit (Story):
Deep below the ragged mountains curtained stalactites hang, the dwarves are digging for gold, lit by burning brand, in caves with frozen waterfalls, in a secret shadowy land. This is the gloomy underworld where trolls and monsters lie; along the cavernous corridors echoing voices cry, as the blackest of lakes unfurls,with ripples that surge and sigh. A skeletal figure is waiting, waiting to row you now, in a boat made of waxen ribs with a skull at it's bony prow; a great clock hides his face. The boatman (Charon) makes a sweeping bow. Do not step into the boat, do not take his offered hand, do not cross that black expanse to that shore of sifting sand, for this is the Underword, where only spirits can land, Run back along those tunnels, run back to the world of light, to a home that is warm and bright; leave the mountains to guard their spirits, and the will o' the wisp to the night. It was long ago a man named Esgaroth lived a cursed life, of cheating and murder. He collected followers and became greatly unpopular with many people, the loss of family and friends drove them to the brink of insanity, it was then the greatest murder plot began, but to cut a long story short, Esgaroth was killed, but his life didn't end there. Alone he created gloomy caverns, lakes and monsters whom craved the taste of blood. These caves were expolored by many men but none returned, Legend has it they were killed by gruesome monsters or the old man who resided the other side of the lake, who over time became called Hades. One man returned from the underword, he told stories of frearsome undead creatures or dark shadows and a large three headed dog who had enforced his retreat (Cerberus), this scared many living beings but still the cause of great agony, dwarves, gnomes, half-orcs and all other races vowed to join forces in a quest to claim Hades sythe and save the world from darkness.  

This journey to cheat death would be only advised to levels 25+ in parties.

The Hard Bit (Task):
The parties which wish to challenge the God of The Underworld must begin the quest below rocky mountains past the Elm tree from which false dreams hang, progressing towards the Black Lake, Killing Rats, Spiders, Skeletal Imps as they pass. Unburied Souls surround the lake, these must be slayed and layed to rest in the shadows. One of these creatures will drop a skull, Waiting by the side of the lake will be Charon, the leader of the party must give the skull to Charon and in return the party as a whole will be transported to the other side of the lake, moving into the boat without passing the skull will result in drowning. Across the other side of the lake the party will stand at the entrance to The Asphodel Fields guarded by Cerberus the three headed dog. Cerberus will bite hard and frequently (thus being one of the bonuses to having three heads) After killing Cerberus the party can chose the shorest route to the Palace of Hades through The Asphodel Fields and The Vale of Mourning slaying any creature that may pass across their path. As the Palace of Hades looms in the distance, the party trudge through the dieing undergrowth, the Palace is full of long winding corridors laced with skeletons, deep inside the corridors lies the throne room guarded by Serpents, these cannot be kill but will cause substantial damage to the party that passes them. in the throne room the party will lay eyes upon Hades the ruler of The Underworld, at this point the party may not retreat, face Hades or death, to the one who slays Hades, he will offer up (alternatly) his Sythe and his Braclet. Past the Palace of Hades lie the Elysian Fields full of grace and beauty and will stand by Panacea to have their wounds healed.
IP Logged

There's no turning back now you've woken up the deamon in me!
Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

Re: The Land of Hades & Elysian Fields
« Reply #1 on: 08/22/03 at 17:54:40 »
Quote Quote

Monsters for the area:

Below the Mountains:
  • Unburied Soul:
    Mutant Rats - pre existing
    Giant Rats - pre existing
    Skeletal Form: The Skeletal Imp looks like the remains of a slain animal. The Imp carries a dagger in one hand, which slices your skin in the swiftest of moves  
    Black Widdow: The largest of all spiders the Black Widdow has eyes of black and the sharpest of bites poisioning the receiver.

Shallow Waters of The Black Lake:
  • Water serpent: The coils writhe and unloop from the slime below, sliding scales gleam and fanged jaws steam poised to bite.  

The Boat:
  • Charon: Charon is appallingly filthy, with eyes like jets of fire, a bush of unkempt beard upon his chin, and a dirty cloak hanging from his shoulders.

Asphodel Fields:
  • Cerberus: Three head's occupy your sight, while the body of the dog and the tail of a dragon block the entrance to the fields beyond.
    Harpies: Harpies appear to be birds with the heads of women, long claws, faces pale with hunger, as they fly past they leave behind filth and stench
    Python:

The Vale of Mourning:
  • Lost Soul:
    Mourner: pre existing
    Cyclopes: The giant stands before you, the one large eye in the centre of his forhead follows your every movement.  

Palace of Hades:
  • Serpent:
    Python:
    Skeletal Form:

Elysian Fields: (forming a seperate area, designed for healers, unicorns can only be healed for xp)
  • Panacea:
    Unicorn: A slender white Unicorn grazes in the pasture, the horn contains magical healing powers, to slay a unicorn is a terrible deed.
    Centaur: The Creature stands tall with the head of a man and the legs and body of a horse.

Boss:
Hades: desc. to be done  
Will say - You show great bravery coming here in free will, but this will not save your excuse for a soul!  

Traps:
Entering the boat without offering the skull, will resort in instant death  
Odyesseus Pit: only party leader will fall and die

Items:
Skull: desc. to be done  
Sythe of Souls: Base damage: 26, Can be used by: fighters, Druids, Paladins, Berserkers, Description: The silver blade of the Sythe glistens in the sunlight, The wooden handle marked with blood. This weapon carries great danger to those who face it. Level needed to equip it: 25, Magical: No, Vamparic: No, Armor: 0, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0, Poison chance: 0, Poison/30s damage: 0, Monster damage table: , Mana leech: .  
Bracelet of Souls: Armor base: 0, Can be worn by: clerics, druids, fighters, mages, paladins, rangers, thieves, pacifists, Description: This bracelet contains a small black stone heart the symbol of doom and death, the colour fades from the face to those who wear this. Level needed to equip it: 25, Strength modifier: 1, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: -2.  
« Last Edit: 08/22/03 at 19:37:27 by Foxie » IP Logged

Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 08/22/03 at 18:01:33 »
Quote Quote

Sample Descriptions

Dark Mountains:
------- Pages You from Corridor (Underground): damp in here

Basic Description:

Detail Description: You are lurking in the depths of the mountains. The mountainous ridge stretches before you. Rats and Spiders scuttle along the dark floor. On closer examination your eyes pick out scratches engraved on the nearby rocks.

/examine: the scratches offer you a piece of advice, looking closley they read "turn around and flee."

Shallow waters of the Black Lake:
------- Pages You from Shallow Waters (The Black Lake): ------

Basic Description: Standing on the shores of The Black Lake you stand perplexed as a cold shiver runs down your spine. You can retreat to the South, and to the North you can see a boat.

Detail Description: You feel cold as the blackest of lakes unfurls, with ripples that surge and sigh. A Skeletal Figure is waiting to offer you a ride. Around you Skeletal Imps dance in the shadows taunting you, your mouth opens to scream, but no sound escapes, only the wailing of pain is faintly heard in the distance

Charons Boat:
------- Pages You from Charons Boat (The Black Lake): ------

Basic Description: You have just stepped into the boat, Charon the oarsman rows across The Black Lake, you may step out the boat to the North.

Detail Description:The boat is made of waxen ribs with a skull at it's bony prow, The Oarsman rows silently across the still black lake to the shallow waters of the other side where you may leave the boat to the North.

Asphodel Fields:
------- Pages You from Asphodel Fields (Underworld): ------

Basic Description: You have just walked into the gloom of the Asphodel Fields, The grey mist prevents you from knowing which way the field spreads.  

Detail Description: Pale grey weeds blanket the mournful ground upon which you stand, dark shadows move through the cold dark mist sending shivers through your spine, This is not a place of punishment, but there is not pleasure to be found, you can contine through the mist.

The Vale of Mourning:
------- Pages You from The Vale of Mourning (Underworld): ------

Basic Description:-  

Detail Description:-  

Palace of Hades:
------- Pages You from Corridor (Palace of Hades): ------

Basic Description: Corridor: You are surrounded by darkness, damp walls lurk in the shadows. Your eyes strain to see you may continue to the East, West and North.

Detail Description:You are lurking in the corridors of the Palace of Hades. The cavernous corridor stretches before you, echoing voices screaming in fear are carried in the damp air. Skeletal Forms move in the dark shadows and pythons slither around your feet. You corridor continues to the East, West and North.

Hades Throne Room:
------- Pages You from Throne Room (Palace of Hades): -----

Basic Description:You stand in the throne room of Hades the ruler himself. You cannot flee, you must face Hades, or face death.  

Detail Description: Hades towers before you his sythe gripped firmly and swiftly swings in your direction. The black throne sits against a stone wall, a cage hangs from the wall, containing what looks like a deadly python. At the sound of crunching you glance down, the floor covered in an aray of human and animal bones. Giving you courage to fight.  

Elysian Fields:
------- Pages You from Elysian Fields (Paradise): ------

Basic Description:You are standing in a wide expanse of healthy green grass feeling almost too peaceful to be real. The Fields spread out to your South, East and West.  

Detail Description: You feel asthough you are standing in what might be paradise, the green grass fills the fileds beyond and the tunes of the song bird fill the air, Unicorns and Centuars Roam feely choming on the grass nearby. The Fields spreads out to your South, East and West.  
« Last Edit: 08/22/03 at 19:38:27 by Foxie » IP Logged

Metatron
Northern_Ireland 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 08/22/03 at 18:22:14 »
Quote Quote

wow very good and very detailed hope it gets put in like your other idea
IP Logged

With ambitious aim against the throne and monarchy of God rais'd impious war in hev'n battle proud
~John Milton
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: 08/22/03 at 18:57:22 »
Quote Quote

Seems like an interesting idea.  Your trap may be difficult to design and also is that mana leech on a Sythe? There is also too much bd for it to be better than a Justice Blade.  Do you want all our pallies running around with farming instruments?
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 08/22/03 at 19:06:53 »
Quote Quote

i will leave all the fine tuning to you important ppl (its what your good at) weapons and things i am not good with, writing i can cope with Smiley
IP Logged

Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: 08/22/03 at 19:16:24 »
Quote Quote

I'm assuming it is a low level area because of the rats and skel imps.  And if this is true I might suggest to you to think of a new drop less valuable yet to valuable to whoever gets the drop.
IP Logged

Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 08/22/03 at 19:29:22 »
Quote Quote

It was for higher lvl crits because the monsters further on would be harder (from cerberus onwards) but also leaving the beginning of the area for lower levels to train.. that was the idea kinda.... but it would need work and development. Thats a first draft kinda thing.

Edit: Skeletal Imps to Skeletal Forms (alowing the area to be harder and more challenging  Wink)
IP Logged

ThaGChild

/t abra sucks to be you!!!

ThaGChild21
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: 08/25/03 at 05:11:09 »
Quote Quote

on 08/22/03 at 17:54:40, Faerie wrote:

Sythe of Souls: Base damage: 26, Can be used by: fighters, Druids, Paladins, Berserkers, Description: The silver blade of the Sythe glistens in the sunlight, The wooden handle marked with blood. This weapon carries great danger to those who face it. Level needed to equip it: 25, Magical: No, Vamparic: No, Armor: 0, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0, Poison chance: 0, Poison/30s damage: 0, Monster damage table: , Mana leech: .  

i like ur ideas, but i dont think that a pally should get this item, just because of the fact that pallys r supposed to be all holy and pure good n all, but why would it use Hades' weapon? ya catch my drift...
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: 08/25/03 at 06:48:30 »
Quote Quote

Don't you think it is just a little ambitious to implement heaven and hell themselves? I think that may cross the line of being adventurers and questers to being supreme dietys and the saviors of mankind... I mean... what point is there to create anything further if you can conquer heaven and hell themselves?...
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 08/25/03 at 07:55:02 »
Quote Quote

on 08/25/03 at 06:48:30, Deval wrote:

Don't you think it is just a little ambitious to implement heaven and hell themselves? I think that may cross the line of being adventurers and questers to being supreme dietys and the saviors of mankind... I mean... what point is there to create anything further if you can conquer heaven and hell themselves?...

really good point...
IP Logged
deSade
United_Kingdom 

Bloody crumbs everywhere!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 08/27/03 at 17:21:11 »
Quote Quote

on 08/25/03 at 06:48:30, Deval wrote:

Well considering that heaven and hell only exist in ppl's imaginations whats wrong in imagining the dietys as dungeon monsters instead?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

ßí§ÇÚít Mħ±€®
Bill
England 

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 08/27/03 at 20:27:49 »
Quote Quote

Well deSade, a fair amount of people believe that Heaven and Hell aren't imaginary, and infact do exist when they die. (No, i'm not one of them.)

Back on Topic, i can't think of any RPG or anything where you do actually kill God or the Devil and it doesn't really fit in or make any sense, a 6ft ish fighter or anything attacking something that could theoretically be any size and kill people instantly, wouldn't stand a chance anyway.  Undecided
IP Logged
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: 08/27/03 at 22:38:18 »
Quote Quote

I'm sure the author of this area could alter it to avoid this misconception.
IP Logged

Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 08/28/03 at 13:51:58 »
Quote Quote

In my previous post i had given the boss another name but it was suggested i called the boss hades. so in this re-draft i did so but this could be altered easily to not give the impression of heaven and hell in respect to those who may have certain beliefs.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.