Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Shazrach's Lake »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/05/24 at 22:26:14

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   Shazrach's Lake
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shazrach's Lake  (Read 1412 times)
Lady_Maha
Germany 

I found my Tao - how about you?

81348228 81348228   tannygurl   Tanja+Hilton
View Profile WWW

Shazrach's Lake
« on: 06/22/03 at 05:03:25 »
Quote Quote

Storyline:

The poor but happy fisherman Shazrach and his wife lived in a small hut by a lake, out of which Shazrach caught the fish that he then sold to supply shops all over Nightmist. After a particularly good day, he packed his wagon, kissed his wife goodbye and travelled towards the cities to sell his fish. Upon his return though, his wife had vanished. Shazrach went to search for her, but couldn't find a trace. He waited for her to return to him for a seemingly neverending year, and finally gave up all hope to ever see her again. Insane with grief he set out onto the middle of the lake, not willing to live without his love anymore, and threw himself into the cold waters to drown. As his senses were fading however, he heard his wife's voice call out to him, begging him to live on. She told him that if he died by his own hand, they could never be reunited, but if he lived on until his life found a natural end, they would be able to spend eternity together. Shazrach, given new hope to be reunited with his wife one day tried to swim back to his boat, but the cold water and current were too strong. As his strength faded and the current pulled him under, he vowed that he would give everything he had to give to be reunited with his wife. His wish was fulfilled in the most terrible way, because as he hit the bottom of the lake he found his wife, who, just like him, could not die, nor live, but had to continue to exist in the lake because of the vow he made. His wish had come true, they had been reunited, but the price was high. To be with his wife, you see, he had to give up his soul, the most valuable posession he had. He roams the lake now, a soulless being that kills everything in sight, his only goal protecting the one treasure he can still feel love for, his wife, whom he keeps hidden in a cave beneath the lake.

Task:

To enter the lake and be able to breathe you need to find the "stone of Shazrach", which is guarded by his dog in his hut. This stone has to be carried by the party leader to be able to enter the lake and not drown. It will sink you to the bottom of the lake and enable your party magically to breathe under water. Going past the shallow water without the stone will cause instant death due to drowning. The bottom of the lake will have several little caves that are connected by tunnels. Shazrach roams these caves, and his wife is hidden in one of them. To get to her, you have to vanquish Shazrach. Upon handing her the stone (which actually contains part of his soul) she will drop a "waterlily blade", a magical weapon that deals higher damage to water and swamp creatures (other than that I'd suggest a base damage of 20).

The area should be suitable for lvl 15 and up in parties.

Monsters in the area:

Shazrach's hut:

rats
giant rats
giant roaches
Shazrach's dog

Around the lake:

bears
wolves
snakes

Shallow water of the lake:

water fairies
frogs
water mokkasins
water mokkasin nests

Shazrach's underwater caves::

giant watersnake
giant squid
piranhas
snapper turtles

Boss:
Shazrach (his wife would give you the blade after getting past him)

Traps in the area:

trap door in the hut and in the lake
instant death if entering the deep part of the lake without the stone

Sample descriptions:

Shazrach's hut: You are in Shazrach's kitchen. You can explore another room to your north, or return to his living room to the south.

The kitchen is covered with cobwebs and a sickening stench reaches you from the sink, letting you know immediately that this place has been abandoned for some time. Large holes in the wall are witness that the new occupants of this place are rats, and possibly other disgusting creatures.

Lady_Maha pages you from Shazrach's hut (kitchen): Blah!

Shazrach's lake: You stepped into the shallow waters of the lake. You can continue into deeper waters to your west, remain in the shallow waters north and south, or return to shore west.

The water reaches about kneehigh and you can feel the soft mud underneath your feet as you sink in an inch or two. Swarms of small fish skid away quickly, hiding under patches of waterlilies, as you step into their habitat.

Lady_Maha pages you from Shazrach's lake (shallow waters): Diddledum!

Shazrach's lake: You are in Shazrach's underwater caves. You can continue east, north and south.

The few rays of light that find their way this far below the surface bathe the caves in an eerie greenish light. Occasionally a fish eyes you curiously and then quickly swims away. The ground is solid rock now, as are the walls, that seem to be carved with clawmarkings as if to warn you about some strange creature that may reside here.

Lady_Maha pages you from Shazrach's lake (underwater caves): Whoopdidoo!

Map of the area is safely stored on my computer, if any staff likes the idea.
IP Logged

If you want to become whole, first let yourself become broken. (Lao Tse in the Tao Te Ching)
Teh Fluff
Canada 

tEh FlUfF

56709527 56709527   zicdeh_silver_moon   ZicdehSilverMoon
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Shazrach's Lake
« Reply #1 on: 06/22/03 at 05:14:24 »
Quote Quote

I like it! The idea of having a weapon which does more damage to water/swamp creatures is great maybe after this there will be more swamp-ish or water-ish type areas made? The descripts are nice and the story seems interesting and just what exactly are mokkasins? Anyways good job.
IP Logged

Vodka
USA 

crackkills_2000   SiMpLyJuStAsH
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 06/22/03 at 05:55:46 »
Quote Quote

Oh, I like it.. and agree with Justin. Well done.. once again Maha.
IP Logged

»*^¤·º×~° Ghêttø Qüêèñ °~׺¤·^*«
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: 06/22/03 at 06:38:05 »
Quote Quote

I was thinking about some lake area in the future.  This could take its place.  Lets nitpick shall we?

Quote:
but the cold water and current were too strong.

If this is your average lake (no Lake Erie) then I would see them to be mostly warm (fresh water) and calm with only the slightest current with strong on windy days, but not drownable.  I think saying that he never learned to swim would be your best bet.  Kinda odd when you live next to a lake, but sh*t works bluntly put.  I wouldn't worry much about this though since the storyline isn't actually directly put in the game.  I'm having fun with this. Smiley

Quote:
one day tried to swim back to his boat

From what I am interpreting here is that he jumped off his boat and heard whispers of his wife if that he lived he'd be able to live for eternity with her.  Whats with the one day?  Did he float around in the water for a couple days with floaties (god I miss them) or something?  And if he did drown then that was taking his own life in realistic terms.  Then how can he be allowed to exist alongside his significant other if you said earlier in this if he suicided he wouldn't be allowed to do so.  

Quote:
soulless being that kills everything in sight,

When did he become reckless like this?  He got to live with his wife and suddenly becomes godzilla? (oddly godzilla also dwells in the water)

Also I believe you should find another name.  Shazrach just doesn't seem to flow right.  Sounds like something out of Pakistan, but I don't know.  It could mean god in german or something.  Dem crazy deutsch.  (Hey, I'm german too.  Grandparents from Frankfurt.)  

Also this dog that defends this stone realisticly would die very soon considering it is....just a dog.  Unless there's some twist where the Saschwhich guy fed him anthrax and he's a super dooper mutant dog.  Will there be puppies in the Dog House Dungeon? (just joking!)  

Quote:
a magical weapon that deals higher damage to water and swamp creatures

This means new slot values for weapons and monsters.  I'm not sure if JLH would be keen on implementing that on just one area.  I don't see a million swamps and water areas coming out in the future.

Besides all that nitpicking I found the monsters, descrptions, and all the rest of that fun stuff to be good.  Most of this stuff is nitpicking the storyline that will hardly see the light of day so don't worry about it too much.  Good job and sorry for taking so much time out of your life to point you in the right direction.  At ease!
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Doublement

Contact Gaddy, Prism, Ceaser, or Mercury in game.

Gaddy101
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 06/22/03 at 09:36:56 »
Quote Quote

I like the idea...i think there ought to be more places to train low lvls like this one since so many people pk anything they see, and the 10 lvl rule isnt as effective when you're 7 or so lvls lower and there are 3 people there...so it'd be good to have lvl 15s train in many diff. places rather than be stuck to orc caves and ..dunno.
IP Logged

You see to live is to suffer, but to survive, well, thats to find meaning in the suffering.
Slippin' by DMX

/bounce should be an emote.

gad- v. to wander about aimlessly seeking amusement
Lady_Maha
Germany 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: 06/22/03 at 10:57:26 »
Quote Quote

on 06/22/03 at 06:38:05, Stotic wrote:
I was thinking about some lake area in the future.  This could take its place.  Lets nitpick shall we?

If this is your average lake (no Lake Erie) then I would see them to be mostly warm (fresh water) and calm with only the slightest current with strong on windy days, but not drownable.  I think saying that he never learned to swim would be your best bet.  Kinda odd when you live next to a lake, but sh*t works bluntly put.  I wouldn't worry much about this though since the storyline isn't actually directly put in the game.  I'm having fun with this. Smiley

From what I am interpreting here is that he jumped off his boat and heard whispers of his wife if that he lived he'd be able to live for eternity with her.  Whats with the one day?  Did he float around in the water for a couple days with floaties (god I miss them) or something?  And if he did drown then that was taking his own life in realistic terms.  Then how can he be allowed to exist alongside his significant other if you said earlier in this if he suicided he wouldn't be allowed to do so.  

When did he become reckless like this?  He got to live with his wife and suddenly becomes godzilla? (oddly godzilla also dwells in the water)

Also I believe you should find another name.  Shazrach just doesn't seem to flow right.  Sounds like something out of Pakistan, but I don't know.  It could mean god in german or something.  Dem crazy deutsch.  (Hey, I'm german too.  Grandparents from Frankfurt.)  

Also this dog that defends this stone realisticly would die very soon considering it is....just a dog.  Unless there's some twist where the Saschwhich guy fed him anthrax and he's a super dooper mutant dog.  Will there be puppies in the Dog House Dungeon? (just joking!)  

This means new slot values for weapons and monsters.  I'm not sure if JLH would be keen on implementing that on just one area.  I don't see a million swamps and water areas coming out in the future.

Besides all that nitpicking I found the monsters, descrptions, and all the rest of that fun stuff to be good.  Most of this stuff is nitpicking the storyline that will hardly see the light of day so don't worry about it too much.  Good job and sorry for taking so much time out of your life to point you in the right direction.  At ease!

Thanks for picking out the flaws, helps me to make stuff better.  Wink

Granted, the lake might not have a lot of current, unless maybe there's some underground river going through the lake. causing it to whirl a bit. As for water temperature, if you've ever been in one of the mountain lakes in the alps, you can freeze your rear off in there, even though most are tiny.

The one day thing is missing a comma, the one day belonging to the first part of the sentence as in : Shazrach, given new hope to be reunited with his wife one day (as in at some point in the future, knowing it can't be right away), tried to swim back to his boat,...

The suicide part and being reunited is explained with his vow. He vows to give whatever it takes to still be allowed to be back with his wife. That vow causes him to not exactly die, yet not be alive, therefor not actually dying, but instead turn into a soulless being, since his soul is his most valuable posession, and after all he promised that for a chance to be back with her.

This also explains why he turns into "godzilla". He traded his soul to be with his wife again, therefor not knowing right from wrong anymore, and the only feeling left to him is love for his wife and the fear of losing her again, causing him to jealously protect her.

I liked the name Shazrach for some odd reason, but if you don't, feel free to change it to Fluffy or something.  Wink

Dem crazy deutsch.  (Hey, I'm german too.  Grandparents from Frankfurt.)  Funny you should mention this, that's where I'm from...lol... (that's why me no sprechen English all that gudd  Grin )

As for the puppy, there's still Shazrach (Fluffy) to kill, and considering this area was meant to be lvl15 and up, they shouldn't face an extremely bad doggie at the very beginning of the task. I was thinking about something somewhat similar to the guard dogs in the SDG, if one seems too little of a task, put a few more in.

For the weapon I didn't realize it was so much more work to give it that special ability. If JLH doesn't like that, then I'm sure we can all think of something else that would be worth the slot.
IP Logged

If you want to become whole, first let yourself become broken. (Lao Tse in the Tao Te Ching)
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: 06/22/03 at 17:38:08 »
Quote Quote

Well if you know how to use the map developer then start building your area and I'm sure one of us will help you implement it.
IP Logged

Lady_Maha
Germany 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: 06/22/03 at 21:47:48 »
Quote Quote

I don't know all the grid commands, if you are talking about the one on the FTP info on the NM site. I have a cute lil psp map though, if you want to look at it. Unless you want to give a short tutorial how to use the mapmaker.
IP Logged

Medora
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Dont interrupt me when I'm talking to myself.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 06/22/03 at 22:30:20 »
Quote Quote

Giant Squid cant be used...
IP Logged

Belladonna is no longer my main, but a lvl 1 name holder in my account. Maybe Ill update this when I decide whats to be my main next.
Lady_Maha
Germany 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: 06/22/03 at 22:49:04 »
Quote Quote

Okay, I'll think of another slimy creature that lives in a lake then Smiley
IP Logged

King o Sausage

Email

« Reply #10 on: 06/22/03 at 23:00:44 »
Quote Quote

Octopus.   Smiley
IP Logged
Lady_Maha
Germany 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: 06/22/03 at 23:04:33 »
Quote Quote

on 06/22/03 at 23:00:44, King o Sausage wrote:
Octopus.   Smiley

Yay, that's the word I was looking for but couldn't remember. Sometimes it sucks if English isn't your native language.  Kiss
IP Logged

Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: 06/23/03 at 00:11:11 »
Quote Quote

Since when do octopus's and squids live in fresh water?
IP Logged

King o Sausage

Email

« Reply #13 on: 06/23/03 at 00:39:52 »
Quote Quote

They don't....  Undecided

IP Logged
Lady_Maha
Germany 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: 06/23/03 at 06:16:17 »
Quote Quote

Interesting question... you do have a point, they don't. Which, come to think of it, makes me want to have a word with J.K. Rowling. Doesn't she have a giant squid living in the lake by hogwarts?
IP Logged

Metatron
Northern_Ireland 

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 06/26/03 at 22:28:43 »
Quote Quote

on 06/23/03 at 06:16:17, Lady_Maha wrote:
Interesting question... you do have a point, they don't. Which, come to think of it, makes me want to have a word with J.K. Rowling. Doesn't she have a giant squid living in the lake by hogwarts?

Yeah but its a *magic* squid  Grin
IP Logged

With ambitious aim against the throne and monarchy of God rais'd impious war in hev'n battle proud
~John Milton
Lady_Maha
Germany 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: 06/26/03 at 23:53:12 »
Quote Quote

Hmmm... how is it *magic*? And couldn't we make our octopus magic too then?  Wink
IP Logged

Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: 06/27/03 at 03:58:24 »
Quote Quote

technically yes
IP Logged

Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: 06/27/03 at 04:11:33 »
Quote Quote

May we name the Octopus stotic?
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Lady_Maha
Germany 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: 06/27/03 at 04:15:57 »
Quote Quote

I think that would be cute, but I dunno if our Stotic would agree to that...lol
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.