Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - No name area idea. »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/14/24 at 17:04:02

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   No name area idea.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No name area idea.  (Read 663 times)
Discipline

View Profile

No name area idea.
« on: 03/19/03 at 22:08:05 »
Quote Quote

-Area name: Landscape manifestation through contemplation. (Name will surely change)

-Story (Very brief version, might be lacking some detail)

The art of Wizardry is commonly taken up by those unwilling to see how similar it is to other crafts of a difficult nature. Let it suffice to say that wizardry is quite similar to the practice of medicine. Constant challenges, new discoveries, ever changing. They both require dedication, a sense of discipline and dedicated thought. The unwilling fail to achieve any sense of accomplishment in the field until they learn and accept this.

Ashling, was one of mind set that would properly fit most professions. But with every job  there was something lacking. At the age of 26 and with no profession there might be cause  for alarm. Yet it never seemed to bother him. In a little dabbling of the magic's, he found a niche.  He began to fall heavily into the field, even without apprenticeship he became quite proficient. Maybe this was due to his good work ethic and his love of a challenge.

His rapidly gained knowledge may have been part of his soon to come down fall. For you see, the magic studied by Ashling was one that required great mental control. Gaining talent so fast did not give him time to build upon his stability of thought. Thus great focus needed to be constantly maintained. Soon the landscape of the city weighed too heavily on him. So around his sixtieth year of life, he chose to live in the forests that lie east of Resthaven and northerly of    Daven. There he would work on his craft, improving it for all.

Ashling was never credited by anyone, not even himself to be far along on the side of sanity. He was merely thought to dwell about the border of that which is sane, and that which had a lack thereof. But the remnants of caution where always there, denying him the ability and desire to cross.

With age there is sometimes a fogging of the mind. The lucky merely wonder in it, never crossing one of the many borders into regions best left unagitated. Ashling was part of the unfortunate few who fall to a worse description than senile dementia can provide. His  stumbling steps caused him to fall deeply into his own worries, mistakes and regrets. Slowly he is tortured by the experiences that once gave him his description as a sage. Without the ability to control his mind, the land around him began to take the shape of his thoughts and his emotional state.

Now he rests within the middle of his created land. Kept alive by his magic and his embitterment for himself. He would mutter his desires for death if he could some how force them by his uncontrolled ranting, but then again who would hear it. Can you be the one to bring absolution? Better yet, can it be brought at all?

-Contents  
Possible boss drop:
Riveted Scale Armor of Dementia
Description: A well crafted piece of armor. The armor is painted red with the blood of it's previous owner. Vivid depictions of homicidal occurrences are engraved about the armor. Surely such engravings were done with the intent to drive the wearer mad.
Stats: lvl Requirement: 28  Ac:50 Dex:+1 Wis:-1 Cha:-3   class: Fighter, Paladin, ranger, thief.  

Traps:  
Various traps with varying damage, that somehow reflect Ashling's changing thoughts.

Level requirement and class restrictions:
Designed for levels 26 to 30. Area is open to all classes.

Ideas with questionable feasibility
Teleporting traps:  
Traps that would possibly move players to random spots on the map to instill disorientation, and to project the idea that the area is actually changing with Ashling's thoughts.  
Area damage at Boss:  
Area at the boss could change, and that could inflict the most damage. If not able to do this, is there some way it could be faked?
Monsters:
Embodiment of self hatred
Listless thoughts
More to come
-Sample Descriptions  

Sample #1
The title: Amiable forest of contempt

The small description: You're in the outer rim of the Amiable forest.

The exits: There seems to be a path between the billows of trees to the west and east. And to the north there seems to be a makeshift path of matted leaves.

The long description: The light slightly pierces the treetops. Then ever so carefully it lands on the mosaic of colorful leafs gracing the forest floor.  The trees are slowly becoming listless in there appearance, but at this moment they are quite alive with the stirring and rustling of creatures among them.

Sample #2  
The title:  Desolate path of anxious desperation.

The small description: You find yourself somewhere on a path that severely lacks stability.

The exits: You may head north or south along the path

The long description: The path beneath you is rather unstable. Loosely it shuffles under the feet of travellers. Almost as though it were meant not to be travelled upon . Yet to the north, there is an enticingly picturesque clearing.
*note: Clearing would become less picturesque with every advancing square.

Sample #3  
The title: Rock staircase

The small description: You find yourself on one of the many rock steps that encompass the passageway.

The exits: The stair case continues in both up and down directions.

The long description: Torches along the lower portion of the western wall cast an obscured light on the crumbling stairs. The ability to see ones feet and what they touch is all that can be managed.

I have never been the best editor. So please do not nit pick at all my grammatical and spelling errors, unless there is great need to do so. Also the descriptions can be lengthened if needed.

Edit: Changed agin to again.
« Last Edit: 03/20/03 at 01:26:53 by Discipline » IP Logged

From nothing we have risen and from nothing we still rise!!!
Discipline

View Profile

Re: No name area idea.
« Reply #1 on: 03/22/03 at 17:19:41 »
Quote Quote

Thank you all that have given me your opinion on this piece of work. I just have one thing to ask of thee. Please give me more than "it was Good!!!!!", or "man that blows". Try telling me why it sucked. Did the story lack a certain degree of fluidity in it's presentation? Were the descriptions too short? All I ask is that you explain your opinion, and give me something to work with.
IP Logged

Mammon
USA 

Yup...

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 03/23/03 at 01:07:18 »
Quote Quote

The storyline is well written, thought out and intresting, nothing really appears to need changing there. The descriptions are all right, but need a tad bit more content, at least in my opinion, but other then that it looks to be a nice area.
IP Logged
Discipline

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 04/07/03 at 05:48:18 »
Quote Quote

Why thanks for the opinion Mammon, I will try some longer descriptions and see what people think. After that all I need is a proper name.
IP Logged

AlliedAssault

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 04/07/03 at 16:20:18 »
Quote Quote

Longer descriptions dont always make for good descriptions. Make sure if you do redo them just try to make it so a player can read the description and visualize that they are there.
IP Logged

My main is Alliedassault.
Sorrow

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 06/30/03 at 05:42:09 »
Quote Quote

I was just wondering if staff or the creator could tell me what's going on with this possible area. If so, please do tell of it's progression. Well Pandarus, what's with the area?

P.S. Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I'm curious.
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: 06/30/03 at 07:53:51 »
Quote Quote

Can we 'PLEASE' not have another dexterity modifying item. This is getting ridiculous
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Temp

Email

« Reply #7 on: 07/01/03 at 01:47:10 »
Quote Quote

on 06/30/03 at 07:53:51, Deval wrote:

Can we 'PLEASE' not have another dexterity modifying item. This is getting ridiculous

Deval, don't worry about this item. This area wont be made, hence the item will not be created. I hope this answers your question Sorrow.
IP Logged
Sorrow

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 07/01/03 at 19:45:35 »
Quote Quote

It does answer my question. I still would have liked to hear it from staff or pandarus, mainly because they'd most likely know the correct information. And possibly why the area wasn't put in. Thanks though, I'm still appreciative of the effort.
IP Logged
Sausage

Email

« Reply #9 on: 07/01/03 at 20:04:51 »
Quote Quote

Temp is Pandarus.  Wink
IP Logged
Temp

Email

« Reply #10 on: 07/01/03 at 23:18:43 »
Quote Quote

on 07/01/03 at 20:04:51, Sausage wrote:
Temp is Pandarus.  Wink

Why yes, I happen to be Pandarus.  

Well sorrow, the project did not go through for several reasons. Mainly I thought the story, and descriptions were lacking a certain lvl of quality. I even felt this heading upon heading in, yet for some reason that is beyond myself, I said nothing. Then there were certain personal issues which arose.

I apologize for the mistaken identity. I sold my account upon quitting nightmist. The person whom  bought my account, has chosen to keep the name -it is a rather charming name, such is the reason I can not in any right form mind place blame-, which is in his right.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.