Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
ォ Nightmist Online Forum - Barbarian/Berserker サ
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/16/24 at 14:24:04

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Improvements
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Pandilex)
   Barbarian/Berserker
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Barbarian/Berserker  (Read 1272 times)
Epic
USA 

Whammo

Ask
View Profile

Barbarian/Berserker
« on: 05/09/03 at 23:12:10 »
Quote Quote

Not a big deal..just alittle pet peve if you will...instead of having it called berserker i think it would be better if it was Barbarian...maybe thats cause im used to barbarians instead of berserkers from the old nightmist..*shrug*
IP Logged

Gangsta Gang Gang Gang Gang Gang Gangsta (walk)
Gang Gang Gang Gang Gang Gangsta (walk)
Gang Gang Gang Gang Gang Gangsta (do the gangsta walk)
Pandilex
Game Creator / Administrator
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Barbarian/Berserker
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/03 at 00:13:35 »
Quote Quote

The class is not based on barbarians, it is based on berserkers. From history we know these were fighters who were virtually unstoppable, and fought on even with the most horrific of injuries. This is why berserkers have many many hit points. Berserkers also wore no clothing at all to intimidate their opponents and scare them senseless.
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Epic
USA 

Whammo

Ask
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/03 at 01:35:10 »
Quote Quote

Oo i see, well thank you for the feedback and not being all negitive and rude about it like most people
IP Logged

Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: 05/10/03 at 17:57:37 »
Quote Quote

on 05/10/03 at 00:13:35, Pandilex wrote:
Berserkers also wore no clothing at all to intimidate their opponents and scare them senseless.

I like that part. Smiley
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Vodka
USA 

crackkills_2000   SiMpLyJuStAsH
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 05/15/03 at 17:30:00 »
Quote Quote

Agreed.  Tongue
IP Logged

サ*^、キコラ~ー Gh黎t Q頌 ー~ラコ、キ^*ォ
Lich
Germany 

Death is but the beginning.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 05/16/03 at 07:41:51 »
Quote Quote

Pandilex where do you get that they were naked. Because you are wrong. Beserker break down Ber= BEAR they got the name BERSERKER because they wore bear skins complete BEAR SKINS. and the fighting skill you talk about, Also earned them the reputation that they could turn them selves into bears. This history where in the Bloody H$%^$^# did you ever get that they didnt where clothes.. points to the post just asking where someone not only posted The meaning of the word Berserker. But also a link to a history site where you can find out alot more.
IP Logged

Grave digger when you dig my grave, will you make it shallow so I can feel the rain.
Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 05/16/03 at 10:53:34 »
Quote Quote

Berserker is the name of the roughest vikings (from norway and sweden Smiley) who spread terror amongst the coastal villages in europe (and they discovered north america aswell, "normandie").

The word "berserker" comes from the old norwegian word "berserkr", and is a compound of "ber", which means bear, and "serkr" - which means coat (just as Lich stated above).

Berserkers wore clothes. I know the history of my ancestors. Wink
IP Logged

Fair enough.
Epic
USA 

Whammo

Ask
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 05/16/03 at 23:42:22 »
Quote Quote

So therfor, Barbarian would make sense and it sounds better then a berserker berserking....barbarian going crazy..killing many people=he went berserk
IP Logged

Lady_Maha
Germany 

I found my Tao - how about you?

81348228 81348228   tannygurl   Tanja+Hilton
View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: 05/17/03 at 04:11:40 »
Quote Quote

on 05/10/03 at 00:13:35, Pandilex wrote:
Berserkers also wore no clothing at all to intimidate their opponents and scare them senseless.

Pandilex, please read my post on Lich's thread "ok, asking staff" because yor information on berserkers, as Lich again stated, is wrong. I posted a link to a website even, that explains the name berserker. They DID wear clothing, which is what gave them their name.

IP Logged

If you want to become whole, first let yourself become broken. (Lao Tse in the Tao Te Ching)
Nocturnal
United_Kingdom 

Elmer Season!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 05/17/03 at 09:52:10 »
Quote Quote

Hey! It doesn't really matter if Berserkers don't wear clothes, we finally have a nudist class! Surely that is a win win situation?  Cheesy
IP Logged

Daffy, Custard, Firestorm, Abundance and Nocturnal
Nocturnal Inc.
Pandilex
Game Creator / Administrator
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: 05/19/03 at 06:03:18 »
Quote Quote

on 05/17/03 at 04:11:40, Lady_Maha wrote:

Pandilex, please read my post on Lich's thread "ok, asking staff" because yor information on berserkers, as Lich again stated, is wrong. I posted a link to a website even, that explains the name berserker. They DID wear clothing, which is what gave them their name.

This is incorrect. They did not wear clothing. The name berserker, despite having several possible translations, was generally agreed to mean 'Bare Shirt' or 'Bare Serk' (Serk being some rough translation of their nationality).
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Lich
Germany 

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 05/19/03 at 11:08:11 »
Quote Quote

Panidlex I dont where you learned to speak Noris but you need to go back there and tell your teacher your wrong. In college I learned a very usefull class for a soldier's. History of war and tactics. My final paper was on Berserkers and the uses for them buy the noris.  

NO WHERE in any text I ever read, AND I MEAN NO WHERE. DId I ever see the words although the word BER means BEAR we beleive this to be Confussed with BARE. No History says They were called BERSERKR. This translates to BEAR and Serkr doesn't mean SKIN it means COAT. Show me one text one that says they were naked. Just one because in all the armies and tactics of the past that i have studied i have yet to see one single army. (Save the romans but this was a punishment for slaves) To ever send a soldier or fighting force into battle with no protection at all.
IP Logged

Grave digger when you dig my grave, will you make it shallow so I can feel the rain.
Astrona

~*ミ羂k ミvt*~

KCsDrkAngel@aol.com
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: 05/19/03 at 11:12:11 »
Quote Quote

In my history notes somewhere I have a battle like that..I'd have to go look it up. It was on an island I believe..they were being attacked by a much larger force, so a leader had gotten an idea. They died themselves blue..painting their faces hideously..they all hid..and when the army approached..they jumped out..naked..blue..and ugly..and scared the army to death practically..the army never seeing a tatic or nething of this sort ran..a  lot of them leaving their weapons etc behind.
IP Logged

~Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you from experience!~
Lich
Germany 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 05/19/03 at 11:21:31 »
Quote Quote

Hun that wasn't noris Berserkers...LOL... that was Scotish freedom fighters the army was english...LOL... And they didnt run away leaving everything they just ran away...LOL.. The scots were known to go into battle painted using their blue war paint. But that had nothing to do with beserking or to do with them not normally wearing clothing. But  you did help prove one thing with the words never seeing that kind of tactic before.
IP Logged

Astrona

~*ミ羂k ミvt*~

KCsDrkAngel@aol.com
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: 05/19/03 at 11:25:42 »
Quote Quote

on 05/19/03 at 11:08:11, Lich wrote:
Show me one text one that says they were naked. Just one because in all the armies and tactics of the past that i have studied i have yet to see one single army. (Save the romans but this was a punishment for slaves) To ever send a soldier or fighting force into battle with no protection at all.
 Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue I showed you one! Mwhaha..

So I can't spell..shush  Tongue Either way..Oh well..I knew there was somethin like that that happened.
IP Logged

~Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you from experience!~
Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 05/19/03 at 15:24:16 »
Quote Quote

on 05/19/03 at 06:03:18, Pandilex wrote:

This is incorrect. They did not wear clothing. The name berserker, despite having several possible translations, was generally agreed to mean 'Bare Shirt' or 'Bare Serk' (Serk being some rough translation of their nationality).

I don't know where you got all this from, but at least it's funny to read. Smiley

I guess we're talking about norwegian/scandinavian berserkers, since I don't know of any others. As I already tried to tell you, "berserker comes from the old norwegian word berserkr. Old norwegian is extremely similar to old swedish, and unless the swedish I've learnt since I was born is completely screwed up and wrong, "berserkr" means (once again) "bear-skin/coat".

If you still claim that I'm wrong, then I suggest you to call one of my swedish teachers and explain to them how to use their mother language.
IP Logged

Fair enough.
Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: 05/19/03 at 15:34:51 »
Quote Quote

http://www.reed.edu/~deregtd/history.html
http://www.cyberclip.com/Katrine/NorwayInfo/words/berserk.html
http://www.m-w.com/whist/whisthm.htm
http://www.sacred-texts.com/goth/bow/bow05.htm
http://www.disal.com.br/nroutes/nr9/pgnr9_07.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/masbah/berserker.html
IP Logged

Fair enough.
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 05/19/03 at 16:09:20 »
Quote Quote

Sure its bear-skin and not bare-skin...... j/k
IP Logged
Lady_Maha
Germany 

I found my Tao - how about you?

81348228 81348228   tannygurl   Tanja+Hilton
View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: 05/19/03 at 19:34:42 »
Quote Quote

on 05/19/03 at 06:03:18, Pandilex wrote:

No, my info is not incorrect, yours is. Just look at all the proof posted by Insomnia, Lich and me throughout the forum. I think for once you'll have to admit that you are wrong.
IP Logged

If you want to become whole, first let yourself become broken. (Lao Tse in the Tao Te Ching)
Stigmata
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: 05/19/03 at 20:57:03 »
Quote Quote

Sorry but I fail to see what relevance this holds to improving the game?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB ゥ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.