Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Abolishing Training Guilds. »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/16/24 at 06:37:10

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Improvements
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Pandilex)
   Abolishing Training Guilds.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Abolishing Training Guilds.  (Read 1477 times)
Zephie
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Kalypso in game.

View Profile

Abolishing Training Guilds.
« on: 03/11/03 at 19:24:18 »
Quote Quote

This has been on my mind quite some time now especially since now you can't train after certain experience. Let's say you're off training far away from the guild of your specific level, how about just leveling up automatically?  

Scrolls would be sold in scroll shops, or maybe in the old guilds.

IP Logged

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Penguin King

View Profile

Re: Abolishing Training Guilds.
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/03 at 19:26:04 »
Quote Quote

that'd be cool
IP Logged

All hail to the Penguin King!!!
Payne

ïMmÓrtÅ£ ®ôß

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/03 at 19:28:34 »
Quote Quote

how much would u have to be paying to buy these scrolls cuz it would be dumb to aboilish someting thats free and for people new to teh game they wouldnt afford these scrolls i like the idea but i think the guilds should stay also ...
IP Logged

Page/Memo Astinus,Payne,Apocalypse in game

http://www.geocities.com/baby10884/Watch.jpg
Zephie
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Kalypso in game.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/03 at 19:29:34 »
Quote Quote

The spells aren't free now, lol.. The scrolls would cost the same as the spells.

Someone pointed out to me that you should have to find the lvl 30 guild (The ones in desert) I agree.
IP Logged

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Necros

Email

« Reply #4 on: 03/11/03 at 19:29:36 »
Quote Quote

I agree, Guilds go, Except the level 29-30 guild, Cause people really like to get to 30 that way you can look forward to something, seems a good idea auto level up though.
IP Logged
Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 03/11/03 at 19:30:49 »
Quote Quote

It seems like you should have to actually earn that level 30, since everyone wants to be it, making someone roam the desert sounds like a good way
IP Logged
Necros

Email

« Reply #6 on: 03/11/03 at 19:35:02 »
Quote Quote

on 03/11/03 at 19:29:34, Zephie wrote:
The spells aren't free now, lol.. The scrolls would cost the same as the spells.

Someone pointed out to me that you should have to find the lvl 30 guild (The ones in desert) I agree.

For the record, That someone is me Wink.
IP Logged
Valentine

Welcome to  the  human race.

hillarydavis2000
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: 03/11/03 at 19:58:22 »
Quote Quote

This has been mentioned before...once or twice by me lol.

My idea was you could either auto-level or return to your guild. The advantage of returning to your guild is your hp/mana is restored--the disadvantage being you have to travel to it. On the flip side, the advantage of leveling "in the field" (/level or whatever random command) is you don't have to return to your guild and can continue playing where you are, but you don't get the free hp/mp.

As far as level 30 goes, it ain't that special...although having it so leveling to 30 in the guild sends a system message saying "So-n-so has made level 30" or some other appropriate message would be fun.
IP Logged

"Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to be controlled by good people, by people who love you." Ender's Game
Some of us are more human than others.
Pandilex
Game Creator / Administrator
England 

Maneki Neko! (‚Ü‚Ë‚«‚Ë‚±j

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: 03/11/03 at 20:54:28 »
Quote Quote

As far as I can see, training guilds have served little purpose in the game other than to annoy players.

The first thing you might notice is the 'Buy Training' button, which is rather odd considering you never actually have to pay for training.

It does seem rather illogical that your experience in the wild fighting monsters galore is useless until you visit a broken down house in the middle of a forest, or whatever to finish your training, whereby you suddenly become more powerful.

Therefore I agree that training rooms should be abolished, and spells sold in scroll form in shops around the various cities.
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: 03/11/03 at 23:07:43 »
Quote Quote

I considered his quite some time ago, but passed it along as a silly adjustment that would just be passed along.  Glad to see it's response and we can finally stop hearing questions "wheres so and so guild?"  I believe the guilds should still say and provide for the purchase of spells.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 03/11/03 at 23:11:17 »
Quote Quote

Just a little problem. Level restricted areas....
Due to the fact you'd never have to leave where you are training effectively you could still be in a level 20 or 25 capped area, at level 29 and 30.

This could be sorted out though by coding all grid square in area to a max level. Then as soon as they are auto-leveled above the capped level they are ported to Boar's Tusk.
So effectively what happens when a crit is booted or disbanded while in clan house.

Dont know of any other ways it could be prevented other than this.
IP Logged
JLH
Game Creator / Administrator
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: 03/12/03 at 00:14:24 »
Quote Quote

level locked areas would cause a great problem, the only work around that i can see, is for any area that should be level locked, all the squares in the area have to be set with the level lock too, however i think the staff would be annoyed with having to set a good 500+ squares, and it can't be automated easily.
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 03/12/03 at 00:34:28 »
Quote Quote

it could be made so that at certain lvls you have to use the guild, 20, 25, 30. or more emphasis could be put into making the guilds more involved in the training aspect. completing a task for a guildmaster to recieve training for a specific level (waxing cars or something). i'd much rather just see them turned into spellshops but since only 4 of them sell spells that will draw a crit out of a level restricted area there probably should be something to lure people into a guild and not spend forever in lvl restricted areas because for some reason i don't think anyone wants to re-edit 500 grid squares.
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: 03/12/03 at 09:34:54 »
Quote Quote

Oh oh,, How about Pandilex, Stotic and Zephie do these areas Grin Wink Having all agreed with the idea..

Just as a side note, im not expecting that to actually happen! You all probably have enough work as it is.
IP Logged

Bishop
USA 

Draco Honoris - Fighting for Honor and Goodness

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: 03/12/03 at 15:33:46 »
Quote Quote

I disagree completely.  You go to the guild to represent spending a short time (weeks actually) studying and refining new skills picked up in the field (taking time to reflect on what you've learned while adventureing) and the wisdomed instruction of someone else who has already done it (the guild master).  

However, the new system of not gaining exp after 10% past what is need is very annoying when you reach that amount 1/2 way to a boss - it should be changed to 90% (10% before the next level).  Also, if possible, it should not be in affect for characters under lvl 10.
IP Logged

"What you fear in the night in the day comes to call anyway."
Valentine

Welcome to  the  human race.

hillarydavis2000
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: 03/12/03 at 16:29:58 »
Quote Quote

on 03/12/03 at 15:33:46, Bishop wrote:
Also, if possible, it should not be in affect for characters under lvl 10.

Definitely. Low-levels gain the exp too fast for this to be effective. All this does in encourage training in arenas where you can easily run to the guild for the level.
IP Logged

"Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to be controlled by good people, by people who love you." Ender's Game
Some of us are more human than others.
Momba

Email

« Reply #16 on: 03/12/03 at 16:59:49 »
Quote Quote

I hate to say it but I'm gonna go with Bishop on this one. Half the fun of being a n00b was searching out the guilds. The excitement of finding it was better the seeing the exp bar go red.
  The 10% should stay. If you know you only need 1 mil exp til 25 then don`t log all your crits for a night out in Jahanna. It can be annoying at times, but still a good addition to the game given that we have so many new level restricted areas.
  I`m really liking the idea of a system message when you have reached level 30. I do however see a problem with auto system messages upon leveling to 30. If your are known to have just leveled a ranger to 30 we all know ya gotta come back through the forrest to get anywhere. I kinda forsee a running of the gauntlet type thing happening unless someone gets smart and throws sum vines up then your just stuck in the gauntlet so to speak Wink

And last but by all means not least LOSE THE PK LEVEL RESTRICTION ALREADY!!!!
IP Logged
Momba

Email

« Reply #17 on: 03/12/03 at 17:01:41 »
Quote Quote

on 03/12/03 at 16:29:58, Valentine wrote:

Definitely. Low-levels gain the exp too fast for this to be effective. All this does in encourage training in arenas where you can easily run to the guild for the level.

If people choose to level in arena it is their lose. Bears are awesome exp and very close to the guilds so it would in most cases be no farther from the arena to the guild as it would be from the forrest.
IP Logged
Odin
Australia 

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: 03/16/03 at 05:41:59 »
Quote Quote

on 03/12/03 at 00:14:24, JLH wrote:
level locked areas would cause a great problem, the only work around that i can see, is for any area that should be level locked, all the squares in the area have to be set with the level lock too, however i think the staff would be annoyed with having to set a good 500+ squares, and it can't be automated easily.

You wouldn't have to set every square to the level lock. You could just set some of the key squares, take the swamp for example, you would put the lock on the hydra hatchlings, vines or any square which is travelled on a lot. Then when they move on to a key square, they will be teleported out. Easier than changing every square.
IP Logged

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: 03/17/03 at 09:57:57 »
Quote Quote

on 03/11/03 at 19:29:36, Necros wrote:
I agree, Guilds go, Except the level 29-30 guild, Cause people really like to get to 30 that way you can look forward to something, seems a good idea auto level up though.

i didn't read all posts so i might say something that has been said before) but i kinda agree with this only since you can get maps with the locations of the lvl 29-30 guilds it would still be a waste of time.

i suggest we make it so that you can lvl up in every guild for your class in the game instead of just anywhere on the map.
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.