Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Double Wield »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/27/24 at 08:02:26

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Fighter Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   Double Wield
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Double Wield  (Read 1355 times)
Dark_Vengence

Ramble on.

View Profile

Double Wield
« on: 03/26/03 at 05:03:30 »
Quote Quote

personally, i think fighters should be able to hold another weapon instead of a shield, what does everyone else think?

Cool
IP Logged

Dark_Vengence ingame (believe it or not)
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Double Wield
« Reply #1 on: 03/26/03 at 08:54:09 »
Quote Quote

i agree but what would the use of it be? that it can attack with like a halberd and bot? but it can't attack with both at the same time and why attack with an inferior weapon and have less armor.

maybe they need an ability called "smash" it would make them attack an enemy with their shield and smash em to the ground or something (just a not really well thought about idea)
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
drizzt_dourden

fear the pointy stick!!!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 03/26/03 at 14:58:09 »
Quote Quote

dual wield would be interesting. i like the idea....some of your posts about it on other threads had a few ideas i didnt like though. you SHOULD be able to use 2 of the same weapon. i also dislike the added armour decrease(besides just the shields base).  

i know people just HATE emulating other games when introducing new ideas into nightmist...but lets face it, EVERYTHING has been done before somewhere or another.  

and in that case, Neverwinter Nights, has quite the suitable system for dual-wield. now i forget the actual percentages, and i cant be bothered to look them up, but its close to -25% dmg on main hand weapon and -50% dmg on off hand weapon. but all in all you still end up with 125% dmg left over. this would be (at least near to...) a fair amount of attack bonus compared to armour loss.
IP Logged

you must cut down the mightiest tree in the *dense*forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith.....a herring!
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: 03/26/03 at 15:12:15 »
Quote Quote

ok if you put it that way i like it Tongue
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Dark_Vengence

Ramble on.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 03/26/03 at 20:23:21 »
Quote Quote

i agree that your way is better.  my other ideas were simply because if u could attack with both at full strength there would not be a high enough penalty but the way u put it makes it pretty fair with the extra damage but no shield

i still think that u should not be able to wield two of the same weapon, but thats just my opinion.  i think that every fighter having two halberds is dumb.  if they ever add the diversity that has been talked about (different weapons that have the same base damage, just to make fighters less boring) then it would make it a lot more interesting cuz u could have a halberd and some other weapon, but it would still be the same damage
IP Logged

medication

R.I.P.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 03/26/03 at 22:43:57 »
Quote Quote

If you put dual wield in (which would be cool) you have to balance it.  
That means that they would have to make 1-handed and 2-handed weapons for starters (hally, bot (2handsword) would fit as such) and when using those you wouldn't be able to equip shield as well. Reason for this being that it would be just overpowering if you could equip 2 biggest weapons. Hally and bot would probably get increase in abse dmg.
Then it'd probably had to have chance to hit (penalties) in order to make it more balanced. So you hit less with 'off-hand' (using 2 BoHs hitting every time would still make you hit for 70-80 for each stam)
That leads to special bonuses that shield would have to have or otherwise everyone would just pick dual wield if loss is 20+ armor. Shields would have to have extra defensive bonuses to balance out the offensive bonuses given by the ability.  

So, it would actually lead to reconstruction of whole armor/weapons and fighting system.
IP Logged

I just wanted to carve a little Z on your forehead - nothing serious.

[InGame: Tempest/Titan]
Dark_Vengence

Ramble on.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 03/27/03 at 03:16:22 »
Quote Quote

two handed weapons would be dumb cuz u couldnt use a hally and a shield.  the way drizzt_dourden put it was good.  because each weapon is decreased in base dam., there is only a 25% increase in base dam, but you lose the armor of a shield (20 in the case of spiked shield, which i feel is a lot) so i think that way it balances out pretty evenly, its just whether you want more armor or more damage, both are advantagous (sp?)
IP Logged

Malfunction

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 03/27/03 at 03:35:47 »
Quote Quote

That um...doesn't make much sense....
Do you hit less with a BoH if your holding another weapon ?
Do you hit more with a BoH if your holding a shield ?

I suggest the offhandweapon deal less...
I uh..prolly aint making much sense  Lips Sealed
Hope you guys get what i mean  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: 03/27/03 at 04:59:34 »
Quote Quote

on 03/26/03 at 08:54:09, wonderful_nightmare wrote:
maybe they need an ability called "smash" it would make them attack an enemy with their shield and smash em to the ground or something (just a not really well thought about idea)

You may wanna take a lil peekaboo on other threads, that one has been suggested in more detail, with a bundle of other skills with it.  Grin

P.S I just did a fart at work, and got the dirtiest look from my team leader EVER  Cheesy

P.P.S Medication is smart, take into account his post. There is a man who knows what he is talking about.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
drizzt_dourden

fear the pointy stick!!!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 03/27/03 at 14:44:14 »
Quote Quote

on 03/27/03 at 03:35:47, Malfunction wrote:
That um...doesn't make much sense....
Do you hit less with a BoH if your holding another weapon ?
Do you hit more with a BoH if your holding a shield ?

I suggest the offhandweapon deal less...
I uh..prolly aint making much sense  Lips Sealed
Hope you guys get what i mean  Roll Eyes

on 03/26/03 at 14:58:09, drizzt_dourden wrote:
...but its close to -25% dmg on main hand weapon and -50% dmg on off hand weapon. but all in all you still end up with 125% dmg left over. this would be (at least near to...) a fair amount of attack bonus compared to armour loss.

its all there....meaning you would hit for more with 2....but you would also get hit for more without a shield.

also, as for the people always runnign around with the same 2 weapons i forgot to include a lil part of thier system....you get an added bonus to chance to hit if you use a smaller weapon in the off hand.
IP Logged

you must cut down the mightiest tree in the *dense*forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith.....a herring!
Dark_Vengence

Ramble on.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 03/27/03 at 21:13:53 »
Quote Quote

ok that makes more sense now
IP Logged

Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: 03/28/03 at 00:08:12 »
Quote Quote

This would be a worthwhile thing to employ if only shields were only valued to a higher standard.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Creed
USA 

Creed ingame

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 03/28/03 at 00:17:54 »
Quote Quote

Man, there has been a few threads about this topic that I know of at least, and I would REALLY like to see this happen. I mean it would be more detailed to your char if you did this.  

I think there should be a heck of alot more items and weapons in this game really, so it can be more custimized with your char you know, b/c every single archmaster fighter that I have seen uses a hally and wears almost the exact same armor, even with the other classes as well... Shouldnt there be more?

I mean, this is just me..
IP Logged

For we have crossed many oceans, and we labor that in between.. In life, there are many quotients.. And I hope I find the mean..
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #13 on: 03/28/03 at 06:18:06 »
Quote Quote

my archmaster has no armor and a short sword Smiley

i dont think this is a good idea, due to the fact the 20 armor, isnt that big of a deal to most people
IP Logged
drizzt_dourden

fear the pointy stick!!!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 03/28/03 at 16:27:02 »
Quote Quote

while that may be true, they may change their mind after getting hit harder and more often....

....besides, we can always play around with the percentages a bit and lower the attack bounus....i just used nice round numbers for examples sake.

basically the main idea is to trade one thing for another....damage for armour(dual wield or shield) and damage for chance to hit(2 of the same weapon or a smaller weapon in the off hand......possibly 2 small weapons for even better hit rate but still less damage).

oh and btw....if this would ever be put in....someone please make me some scimitars(hopefully around the same dmg as a halberd), just for my rp sake......please?  Grin
IP Logged

Dark_Vengence

Ramble on.

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 03/30/03 at 00:03:39 »
Quote Quote

thats why i suggested an additional decrease in armor if two weapons are equipped
IP Logged

Blast

Email

« Reply #16 on: 04/05/03 at 10:24:41 »
Quote Quote

two weapons... sounds good Smiley
IP Logged
Melfice
United_Kingdom 

Minion of teh fluff!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: 04/18/03 at 02:35:57 »
Quote Quote

I personally think if a duel weapon system would be put in that rather than changing weapons to suit the system why not make duel weildiing weapons for it.  I mean realistically what kind of mortal person could run around with a halberd in each hand lol.   Roll Eyes

You could have it as an extra stat like vamparic n magic you could have duel weild: yes.  so say you buy a scimitar you equip it as a normal weapon but you have the option of buying a second one which would be able to equip it in the slot your shield would normally go increasing your attack by a certain percentage but also losing the armor from your shield or maybe a certain percentage depending on lvl/weapon/current armour etc.  

maybe you could mix weapons, so say have a blade of honor as your main weapon and a scimitar as a second weapon in your shield slot but you could only equiip a duel weapon if your main weapon was duel weild compatible "duel weild: yes"
IP Logged

Let me show you my real power!
DragonZero
USA 

Never Run From A Sniper... You'll just die tired

GoldDragon1567
View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: 04/20/03 at 20:39:28 »
Quote Quote

hmm maybe we should make a Double-Wield (two-handed) as in one weapon two hands increases damage but unable to carry shields

Like having the Blade of Honor, but with both hands it increases the attack power of the weapon a little...that would be fun....
IP Logged

Mangler, Sirina, and Divine_Dragoon
scott4

Email

« Reply #19 on: 05/25/03 at 01:06:00 »
Quote Quote

Tongue
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.