Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Killing Noobs »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/13/24 at 20:53:37

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   Killing Noobs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Killing Noobs  (Read 2577 times)
Lavalamp
New_Zealand 

ßëç¢ð

View Profile Email

Re: Killing Noobs
« Reply #20 on: 01/17/04 at 00:19:49 »
Quote Quote

on 01/17/04 at 00:01:06, Sera wrote:

The only drawback of this is, if you are training, you can only hit with one crit and then have to switch... wait for stam.. hit with the next. By the time you get to a healer, all yer crits are dead cause the monsters don't have to wait for stam.

maybe he means for pking only, if he means in general, thats prolly not a good idea anyway i think the 1stam thing is good, as long as training is not limited
IP Logged

Dunkler_Engel/Healer/Cylena/Kalee/Tolv/Meadow/Charisma/Dark_Elfen_One/Emerge/ + A lot more
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: 01/17/04 at 00:27:23 »
Quote Quote

Harky's idea=teh win
IP Logged

Tatsu
England 

Tatsu, Kang, Syphon in game

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: 01/17/04 at 00:46:04 »
Quote Quote

hmmm well to me all these ideas seem a little...flawed  Undecided

first of all, altho there used to be no pking limits, and you say that 'i trained through it, why dont people now have to do the same thing?', the fact is that there are a lot more people playing nightmist now, and it would be hell trying to train now if anyone can hit you. i remember when i was a newb, i almost quit because i couldent train anywhere without being pked: now i dont care wether i get pked or not, but back then it used to really annoy me. and no, you shouldent just make it so after lvl 5/10 u can get pked, i was still just as much a newb at these levels on my first crit as b4.

its all very well saying that it encourages you to explore and get better exp, but how can u explore when u cant train the crits up to be able to explore more than a few squares outside a city? ooo and imagine the rax  Shocked this would make many new players leave the game.

i think that using stam on all ur crits would be far from cool: one round and then u cant heal or anything....i just think it would make the game very boring /shrug

i personally have no problem with people pking in parties, can lead to some interesting fights, adds a bit of tactics here and there, i think this stamina system would actually have less tactics....one rapid fire and u cant do anything else.

i wouldent mind seeing a stop to hit and running tho, but i dont think this is the way forward  Wink
IP Logged

ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-ahh, ting-tang, walla-walla-bing-bang; ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-ahh, ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-bang. (repeat, with various arm and leg movements)
Kazuya
Australia 

Käžúÿä

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: 01/17/04 at 04:28:13 »
Quote Quote

on 01/16/04 at 21:16:50, Aidon wrote:
I am rather fond of Hark's idea about only being able to pk with one crit on.  Would put a stop to people running around on mass alts, and to hit and runs. It would also allow for the regular use of alts for training.  Though there would have to be a rule about either not allowing to attack someone who has alts on because they cannot fight back, or the person with the alts being allowed to attack the person who attacked them.

It would also make bosses impossible to ever beat, unless ofcourse you get ya whole clan to log on 1 alts to do 1 boss. But how often do you see a clan with 10+ members (not crits) on all the time.
IP Logged
Matt
USA 

Abnormaly420
View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: 01/17/04 at 04:38:05 »
Quote Quote

on 01/17/04 at 04:28:13, Kazuya wrote:

It would also make bosses impossible to ever beat, unless ofcourse you get ya whole clan to log on 1 alts to do 1 boss. But how often do you see a clan with 10+ members (not crits) on all the time.

Why exactly do bosses have to be pking fests?

Seriously, let's all just get along.

Cheers to your idea Harky.
IP Logged

"Faith; noun. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." --- Ambrose Bierce
Limit
USA 

Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #25 on: 01/17/04 at 04:41:20 »
Quote Quote

Bring back old days where once your lvl 5 your on your own... pkers will pk, people will die tough chit.... only way to get good is to get use to it.... by changing the way things go it changes the way people play... if you dont get that dieing experience when your lil youll get it when it hurts most  Grin
You dont see too many of the old players that bad off do ya? We all did just fine.. i think everyone should share the same experiences we did... hell my first crit i got enough exp to lvl it to 11 before actually lvling up to 5 and past.

Old Nightmist  Grin
IP Logged

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Fusion
USA 

None   ElDiAbLo142@aol.com
View Profile Email

« Reply #26 on: 01/17/04 at 05:13:59 »
Quote Quote

I member having my level 20 thief with 250mil exp Grin. Old, but not prereset.
IP Logged

Oasis, Imagine, Fusion ingame. And more.
Rattlesnake
USA 

Miau

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: 01/17/04 at 05:46:17 »
Quote Quote

I remember being killed a lot as a lil 'un... It made me learn how to run really fast. Now days I see these people lvl 15 that don't know their way to RH w/o a map.. * Rattlesnake sighs.
IP Logged

Contact Sweet_Dream in game. Smiley
My Pictures
Limit
USA 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: 01/17/04 at 05:54:07 »
Quote Quote

People learn quicker out of fear  Shocked which is why i think the lvl cap isnt as good.
IP Logged

Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: 01/17/04 at 06:18:10 »
Quote Quote

I don't really see the point in the whole pking with only one crit.  How do you kill a party of 8 with only one attacker?  If that were the case why not just take PKing out of the game.  I don't think the idea of PKing ought to really be sitting at southgate house and hitting one another, that is fighting.  PKing is hunting around for players to kill.  It doesn't make sense to me how using stam on one of your crits does anything for all of them.

I don't see hit and runs much anymore, everyone is being gay and sitting in the place over boars tusk now.

I don't see the whole killing anything over level 5 would work anymore, there are simply far too many more people who would be hunting around for that to be acceptable anymore, but to take away my ability to kill off a big party of training crits should be taken away.

If you were to make it so that a player can only pk on one alt, that just means people are going to run around with arch zerkers, a cleric, and a mage- spell up, and pick off one crit of a training party.  What is the point in doing that?

Either take it out of game completely, leave it how it is, or alter it slightly, but limiting it to one crit can hit doesn't make sense at all to me.  I thought we were not trying to make training easy?
IP Logged

Everlast is the voice of reason, take heed, take heed. -Deval Feb. 4, 2004

Find me on Gaddy.
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #30 on: 01/17/04 at 06:38:07 »
Quote Quote

We're trying to make pking not easy.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: 01/17/04 at 06:43:15 »
Quote Quote

the only problem with the 'only one alt can pk' thing is how some little things will make it's efforts in vain.

logging off crits would be the first thing. imagine you have a nice party going, several thieves and a cleric. you see your target sitting unaware, and quickly spell up your favorite murderer and log the rest off before attacking. that's a no-no. you would have some sort of protection from danger because of being under a pk restriction, and you would be using it to get a better first round.  

then there's what kind of defense should a party have? harky had a good idea but i just can't see it making the kind of difference nightmist needs. parties would have to have some kind of protection from pkers if they can't fend them off, but the protection can't be great enough to be abused for even less skillfull pk's. even then, what the hell kind of sense does pk restrictions even make? it applies an ethical rule on a bunch of cheating murderers.

maybe i see things through differently shaded lenses, but the problem with pulling it off here is alts. it's no surprise to anyone who reads the crap i post here, but i believe it really is time for nightmist to have an individual oriented sister-server.
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: 01/17/04 at 07:33:39 »
Quote Quote

Making PKing difficult...hmm...why not make the level restriction on pking decline as you move further from town.  Start it was they must not be 5 levels or less below you and as you get further from town it increases.  So on 2nd floor of zeum you could hit anything of any level, same with Desert.

I'm not saying it moves lvl by lvl, something like it goes by 5s, and this would solve the problem of lower levels training and being wiped out because forest is very close to town and stuff.  It would also keep people from having gold crits of low level.

...please read this, it may be the most intelligent thing i've posted in months.
IP Logged

Find me on Gaddy.
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: 01/17/04 at 07:48:13 »
Quote Quote

on 01/17/04 at 06:38:07, wrote:
We're trying to make pking not easy.

I think that should mean the area above Boar's Tusk should be removed, or modified to count deaths because that is a huge way of making PKing easier than anything.
IP Logged

Find me on Gaddy.
Limit
USA 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #34 on: 01/17/04 at 08:09:56 »
Quote Quote

A good reason this games lost alot of its potential is the set difficulty for pking. You can rarely find a good pk anywhere anymore. Alot of people play for the thrill of pking.. take that away and theres not really much a point to it.... You play to get strong, you get strong to kill.. if you cannot kill.... whats the point? I myself would have nothing to do w/the game if pking was taken out of it.... just about the only thing that can get me moving anymore... and thats a rarity.
IP Logged

Tienno
Great_Britain 

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: 01/17/04 at 09:37:11 »
Quote Quote

i FEEL IVE OPENED A CAN OF WORMS HERE LOADS THINK SOMETHING NEEDS DOING BUT ALSO LOADS THINK NOTHING NEEDS DOING........

I LIKE SOME OF THE IDEAS SUGGESTED I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE IDEA OF IF PROVOKED FIRST U CAN HIT THEM BACK AS THAT WOULD KEEP IT OPEN TO CHANCE AND NOT PKING
IP Logged

If two cents is all i have, that's all i'll give. If i have more to give, bet your own last dollar ill give it.
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: 01/17/04 at 11:40:42 »
Quote Quote

A few points. We are talking about 'alts', not parties of 5 different people using 1 crit each.

Possibly the shared stamina would only be PvP, and not PvM.  

Maybe even a single alt rule could be introduced. Which personally I see as the best possible way forward for Nightmist. Then allow Pkin at any level after 5.

There are far too many arches in the game anyway, a reset would be the best idea then restart with this new update.

Bosses have been upped in hp/dmg because of the mass of alts that destroy them, if an alt rule was implemented they would obviously be reduced, it's hardly rocket science. At the moment the game is far to easy.

As spoken numerous times before, Harky and others have said that there was maybe 30 arches after a year pre-reset. There are 785 approx arches in the game now. Which is obscene.
IP Logged
Zephie
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Kalypso in game.

View Profile

« Reply #37 on: 01/17/04 at 12:20:36 »
Quote Quote

Eternyte- why would you compare the amount of lvl 30s back then and the amount of lvl 30s now..of course there's more now..look at the userbase! I honestly don't see how a 1 alt limit would better the game. Maybe that's just because I actually train my characters to -use- them rather than just letting them lie around. If the 1 alt system was ever actually put in I think dognapot's idea of having a sister server would be a good idea..I'm sure there are plently of people who would like to play the game just as it is now.
IP Logged

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Detheroc
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: 01/17/04 at 12:56:57 »
Quote Quote

on 01/17/04 at 12:20:36, Zephie wrote:
Maybe that's just because I actually train my characters to -use- them rather than just letting them lie around.

He also suggested that a reset would fit in best with the 1 alt idea, which is true. With a 1 alt limit you'd have to be pretty stupid to train up more than one character, and then complain about only being able to use one at a time.  

I agree fully with what Eternyte said. Nightmist is just too easy at the moment.
IP Logged
Stigmata
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #39 on: 01/17/04 at 15:27:33 »
Quote Quote

The problem everyone seems to be overlooking (even the staff...) is that this version of the game is designed for alts. It may not have been intentional but it happened.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.