Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - why would you want to attack yourself? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/26/24 at 13:58:00

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Comments
(Moderators: JLH, Pandilex)
   why would you want to attack yourself?
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: why would you want to attack yourself?  (Read 4145 times)
Teh Fluff
Canada 

tEh FlUfF

56709527 56709527   zicdeh_silver_moon   ZicdehSilverMoon
View Profile WWW Email

Re: why would you want to attack yourself?
« Reply #20 on: 03/19/03 at 04:36:05 »
Quote Quote

Yes, people should be able to have the option to hit themselves around a bit if they want to, but the people killing themselves could possibly be a slight problem, but what can we do about that? Make a severe consequence for killing yourself?
IP Logged

dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: 03/19/03 at 06:36:12 »
Quote Quote

people killing themselves is hardly a problem.

1. it only determentally affects the person killing themself.

2. they could only kill themselves in pkable zones. no player kiling means no player killing even if it is yourself.

3. since you can only kill yourself in pkable squares; in order to kill yourself you will have to compete with people who want to kill you.

4. you couldn't kill yourself at lvls lower than 5. pking is pking alright?

5. nopk commands will affect you. as a member of X clan, typing /nopk clan protects you along with, /nopk party, /nopk <name>, and /nokill.

6. it would stand to reason that in order to kill yourself in a timely fashion (fast enough to stop someone else from killing you or be killed by monsters) you must be skilled and decently equipped. ergo, in order to kill yourself (exclusively) over and over you must be of a high enough a level to do the above and it would be only to your disadvantage to behave in such a manner.

these factors would make any nuisance merely personal and negligable to the population of NM as a whole. i don't know what situations you guys were imagining but they cannot be so imprisoning the listed factors could not assuage the nuisance of seeing someone die or allow you to ignore it in some fashion.
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #22 on: 03/19/03 at 08:36:58 »
Quote Quote

i dont think that there is much of a reason to 'commit suicide' if someone is attacking you or a monster is going to kill you. i feel that if you commit suicide you should lose more exp then you would if you were to get pk'ed
IP Logged
dognapot
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: 03/19/03 at 09:57:55 »
Quote Quote

jebus man, it's not a particularly depthy subject. it's being able to hit yourself; it's no different than being able to hit other players. you don't need cyanide pills, spontaneous combustion commands, or suicide spells all that this thread was supposed to be about was being able to hit yourself when it is appropriate. to be completely honest here's what i was planning on doing with this idea...

You don't have enough space for a 'rose' in your inventory.
Dognapot: nuts to that!
Dognapot attacks Dognapot with her 'dagger of spirits' for 39 points of damage.
You drink an Advanced Healing Potion.
You picked up a 'rose'.

and for you russian roulette or 'deer hunter' fans...

Dognapot: Diddy mao! Diddy mao!
Luna: ok ok
Luna attempted to assassinate herself but failed.
Luna: your turn!
Dognapot attempted to assassinate herself but failed.
Dognapot: ha.ha.ha. now diddy mao!

something this simple really shouldn't warrant that much explaining.
IP Logged

So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Unwillingly mine
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #24 on: 03/20/03 at 07:59:43 »
Quote Quote

i dont know about you, but i think it would be preety hard to attack yourself with a sword
IP Logged
drizzt_dourden

fear the pointy stick!!!

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: 03/20/03 at 13:53:20 »
Quote Quote

its not all that hard when you first start practicing actually...... i can recall many wounds i sustained because of foolish mistakes while training.
IP Logged

you must cut down the mightiest tree in the *dense*forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith.....a herring!
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #26 on: 03/20/03 at 14:20:44 »
Quote Quote

yeah, but i wouldnt call them life threatening wounds, and since nm treats all wounds the same, i just cant see someone with a sword killing themselves
IP Logged
Pile

Email

« Reply #27 on: 03/20/03 at 15:46:34 »
Quote Quote

Why the hell would it be hard to kill yourself with a sword? Since it would be pretty reasonable to assume you wouldn’t be defending yourself I can think of numerous inventive ways to die by your own sword, all as technically feasible as slitting ones wrists with a dagger of spirits.
IP Logged
Rattlesnake
USA 

Miau

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: 03/20/03 at 15:47:20 »
Quote Quote

I think people with low dexterity should occassionally fall on their weapon killing themself. Imagine the clumbsiest person you know donned in armor and handed a really sharp sword.. they go skipping along like the fool they are trip over a log and boom, stabbed through the chest.
IP Logged

Contact Sweet_Dream in game. Smiley
My Pictures
Valentine

Welcome to  the  human race.

hillarydavis2000
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: 03/20/03 at 16:02:22 »
Quote Quote

I'm wondering how dex would factor into this...would a high dex mean that you have good aim, and therefore hit yourself? Or would a high dex give you the ability to dodge the blow?

Heehee...the image in my head is pretty funny...

I'm all for a /suicide command...
IP Logged

"Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to be controlled by good people, by people who love you." Ender's Game
Some of us are more human than others.
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #30 on: 03/21/03 at 03:00:45 »
Quote Quote

on 03/20/03 at 15:46:34, Pile wrote:
Why the hell would it be hard to kill yourself with a sword? Since it would be pretty reasonable to assume you wouldn’t be defending yourself I can think of numerous inventive ways to die by your own sword, all as technically feasible as slitting ones wrists with a dagger of spirits.

what i said was swords, not daggers. also slitting wrists rarely ever kills a person. now a good down the arm slit, and your working with something
IP Logged
dognapot
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: 03/21/03 at 03:20:24 »
Quote Quote

can i please just hurt myself? all i want to do is clear the potions out of my inventory and play russian roulette in a smokey backroom of the clan house.
IP Logged

So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Unwillingly mine
Pile

Email

« Reply #32 on: 03/21/03 at 03:49:06 »
Quote Quote

I was saying that hurting yourself with a sword is just as easy as with a dagger, hence the dagger reference. Since self-inflicted injury is normally associated with small sharp instruments, the dagger sprang to mind as a good example…

Yeah sorry, off topic again but that tender person just seems to inspire me to argue over complete and utter nonsense. You know I used to think that some of the more aggressive posters' continual putdowns and arguments used to grate a little bit. However, it seems to me that the forums have been somewhat quieter for a while now and it has taken this for me to realise their fundamental purpose of keeping the goons in check from running rampant. Where has Poptart gone? You don’t miss things to until they aren’t around anymore, and from my new enlightened perspective I feel we need some aggressive and antisocial behaviour, and a smidgen of personal attacks, just to balance things out a little.
« Last Edit: 03/21/03 at 04:14:28 by bullitt » IP Logged
dognapot
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: 03/21/03 at 04:16:27 »
Quote Quote

yeah, there aren't as many bs-detectors as there used to be.
IP Logged

So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Unwillingly mine
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: 03/24/03 at 04:45:17 »
Quote Quote

Can we personalise our own suicides?

Deval glues the handle end of a screwdriver to a piece of board so it points upwards, then gets on his hands and knees and crawls over the board. Deval then proceeds to slam his head repeatedly down on the screw driver, gouging his eye socket till there is nothing left but a mashy bloody hole, accented with a dash of stylish fragmented bone, backed by a lovely conglomeration of blood, puss, tattered skin, and the occasional glimpse of grey matter. Surprisingly, Deval has not yet passed away, and thus stands up in frustration. He then takes a nail file and begins to jam it randomly in his mouth, shredding lip, gum, tooth and eppiglotis until he eventually punctures his spine, thus severing his spinal cord. With one laster whimper of agonising satisfaction, Deval slumps to the ground in a pile of blood accented by the occasional highlight of bone.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Rattlesnake
USA 

Miau

View Profile WWW

« Reply #35 on: 03/24/03 at 05:41:45 »
Quote Quote

on 03/24/03 at 04:45:17, Deval wrote:
Can we personalise our own suicides?

Deval glues the handle end of a screwdriver to a piece of board so it points upwards, then gets on his hands and knees and crawls over the board. Deval then proceeds to slam his head repeatedly down on the screw driver, gouging his eye socket till there is nothing left but a mashy bloody hole, accented with a dash of stylish fragmented bone, backed by a lovely conglomeration of blood, puss, tattered skin, and the occasional glimpse of grey matter. Surprisingly, Deval has not yet passed away, and thus stands up in frustration. He then takes a nail file and begins to jam it randomly in his mouth, shredding lip, gum, tooth and eppiglotis until he eventually punctures his spine, thus severing his spinal cord. With one laster whimper of agonising satisfaction, Deval slumps to the ground in a pile of blood accented by the occasional highlight of bone.

Shocked Shocked Shocked  
* Rattlesnake pukes
 Undecided
IP Logged

Contact Sweet_Dream in game. Smiley
My Pictures
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #36 on: 03/24/03 at 09:49:53 »
Quote Quote

LOL @ DEVAL i'll just borrow captain wylsens gun Cheesy

Before you land the mortal blow, Jurian raises his Silver Pistol to his left temple and fires the gun, spraying his cranial matter across the bookcase and northern wall.
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Melfice
United_Kingdom 

Minion of teh fluff!

View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: 04/20/03 at 19:15:35 »
Quote Quote

Y don't you just drop a potion?  Roll Eyes

neway i do like the idea of a suicide command, and i definatly enjoyed reading the russian roulette thing lol.  Cheesy
IP Logged

Let me show you my real power!
Hatchet Warrior

"The soul your body carries really has no worth"

Homeless+x+Larry
View Profile

« Reply #38 on: 04/21/03 at 09:33:50 »
Quote Quote

whoo....well...ok, here's my thought on this one. I can see why a suicide command isn't in the game. One, you'd never get PK'd, cause if you were about to get dropped, you'd just kill yourself to save you the pain of being killed by someone else.  

Then we have realism, which a suicide command would be good if you look at it this way. It would make play more realistic if you were able to kill yourself, suicide missions (If your captured, kill yourself) do happen, especially in terrorism groups, or as I like to call them, Astral Warriors (lol).  

All in all, I think it would be good, but if it was added, would probally be taken out soon due to overuse, and miss-use of the command.
IP Logged

"You never know what even your closest friends will say about you once you leave the room"

Main Crit: Loco
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #39 on: 04/21/03 at 14:06:34 »
Quote Quote

thats why i said you would need to buy potions to do it.

blah blah blah just drank a Vile of Poison.

blah blah blah was ressurected here after commiting suicide.

they would cost 1k-5k each not much, but would keep people from over abusing them
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.