Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - berserkers »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/29/24 at 10:11:19

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Berserker Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   berserkers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: berserkers  (Read 1864 times)
Oops

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

berserkers
« on: 02/19/03 at 09:14:04 »
Quote Quote

the berserker class and half-orc race, is basically taken straight from RoK...
IP Logged
Teh Fluff
Canada 

tEh FlUfF

56709527 56709527   zicdeh_silver_moon   ZicdehSilverMoon
View Profile WWW Email

Re: berserkers
« Reply #1 on: 02/19/03 at 09:20:48 »
Quote Quote

-slaps Oops- Hi, I believe Berserkers and Half-Orcs can be found anywhere in RP and elsewhere, so don't say its basically taken from RoK they could have gotten it from anywhere and yeah -coughs and walks away-  Undecided
IP Logged

dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 02/19/03 at 11:58:40 »
Quote Quote

listen, if you can't steal ideas from someone else then where are they gonna come from!
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
King_Macros

Email

« Reply #3 on: 02/19/03 at 12:51:21 »
Quote Quote

Make up your own? There's a thing called imagination.

* King_Macros points to his completely original mud that no nm player will ever see
IP Logged
PureMourning
Ethiopia 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 02/19/03 at 18:08:15 »
Quote Quote

Not only of RoK, I know other RPG's that have Beserkers and half-orcs. It's fine.
IP Logged
King_Macros

Email

« Reply #5 on: 02/19/03 at 18:26:52 »
Quote Quote

don't they have half-orcs in d&d also? I know I've seen them in like a bunch of muds, and actually, when i started playing nm, i thought it was odd they didnt have them
IP Logged
Oops

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 02/19/03 at 19:10:53 »
Quote Quote

well i dont play many games much so i dont know how many ppl have ripped off other ppl...
IP Logged
Blade

Email

« Reply #7 on: 02/19/03 at 19:29:38 »
Quote Quote

Berserkers/barbarians are used in almost every RPG game. Nobody 'ripped off other people' by putting berserker in, as nobody owns the right to having it.
IP Logged
Abandon

I am the supreme ruler. Bow to me.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: 02/19/03 at 21:56:28 »
Quote Quote

Your point? look at the other classes on nm?

What's next? Going to make a Necromancer/Death Mage and Bard/Minstrel classes?

-Dysfunctional/Trix/Abandon/a nutsload more (On RoK)
IP Logged
King_Macros

Email

« Reply #9 on: 02/19/03 at 23:04:19 »
Quote Quote

Didn't Necromancers use to be in the game, If my memory serves me right
IP Logged
Abandon

I am the supreme ruler. Bow to me.

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: 02/20/03 at 00:54:26 »
Quote Quote

on 02/19/03 at 23:04:19, King_Macros wrote:
Didn't Necromancers use to be in the game, If my memory serves me right

I wouldn't know. I don't play this sh*tty game. =)
IP Logged
drizzt_dourden

fear the pointy stick!!!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 02/20/03 at 14:04:04 »
Quote Quote

why do you bother to post then? no life?
IP Logged

you must cut down the mightiest tree in the *dense*forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith.....a herring!
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 02/20/03 at 21:52:48 »
Quote Quote

On a different point, anyone know who first invented the orc?
IP Logged
Prince_Damon

,!,,

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: 02/20/03 at 22:24:07 »
Quote Quote

I would have to guess it has been passed down in some sort of mythology, and weather or not this is true, I would also have to guess D&D had something to do with the orc gaining entrance to the gaming world as it would seam they are to gaming what God is to all creation. By the way, I have never once played D&D, and am only going off what I have seen through my experiances in the world of Role Play over the last few years, so I may be way off base in my oppinion.
IP Logged

Knine, Pacman, LS_DayWokr_LS, SoulsWrath, Ender, Phobia, Scar, Lorivan, Widowmaker, Leafstorm, etc.
the Kiheitai

We're headstrong to take on anyone

weaselking123   weaselking123
View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: 02/23/03 at 20:35:59 »
Quote Quote

Everyone has their own idea of what fantasy is. tolkein's version of an orc is a twisted, tormented version of Elves, incase any of you out there have read his books on hte history of Middle Earth, other writers/game designers have linked Orcs to being the failed attempt at creating dwarves, later perfected as the dwarven race. No one is stealing anyones ideas. I'm sure JLH or PAndilex would give you a reason for adding them in. Maybe you might hear soemthing liek this, "We felt we needed a more 'sinister' or 'evil' race to be added, since all of the other races are considered 'goodly' by many fantasy gaming standards(with the exception of humans who take every side and every alignment)" and when they added a berserker class, they probably felt they needed a class that would capitalize the most, i.e. adding a race that is brutish yet stupid. After all, if you wanted to go into a huge battle, you would have to be stupid not to strap on armor up the yin yang. Who else would walk onto the field metaphoricaly naked? A being with 6 inteligence.
IP Logged

the Kiheitai: proud members of DRACO HONORIS...Represent
Silverwizard
Canada 

The Great And Powerful Wizard

View Profile

Berserkers
« Reply #15 on: 02/25/03 at 19:24:54 »
Quote Quote

Yes Tolkien thought of these big brutes we call orcs first. D&D is what has inspired almost all games and it has had halforcs since AD&D mabye even the little known ED&D. Barbarians the same thing they are normal to have.
IP Logged

The Silverwizard, The Great and powerful Wizard, And the Over Lord Of The Warroirs Of The Mist
drizzt_dourden

fear the pointy stick!!!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: 02/26/03 at 01:07:07 »
Quote Quote

i dont belive he was the first, i dont know for sure who was, but im pretty sure they were around b4 his time.
IP Logged

you must cut down the mightiest tree in the *dense*forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith.....a herring!
Silverwizard
Canada 

The Great And Powerful Wizard

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 03/04/03 at 20:00:49 »
Quote Quote

Orcs were Tolkien. He thought of them originally as big goblins but in Lord Of The Rings Treebeard states that ents are like trolls the same way that orcs are like elves by that orcs were tortured and twisted by Sauron (or his old boss (read The Silmarilian))
IP Logged

The Silverwizard, The Great and powerful Wizard, And the Over Lord Of The Warroirs Of The Mist
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 03/04/03 at 21:56:26 »
Quote Quote

OK heres a puzzle for you all...

HalfOrc = half 'man half orc
HalfElf = half 'man half Elf
HalfLing = half 'man half Huh?
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: 03/05/03 at 01:50:03 »
Quote Quote

on 02/23/03 at 20:35:59, Julius wrote:
I'm sure JLH or PAndilex would give you a reason for adding them in. Maybe you might hear soemthing liek this, "We felt we needed a more 'sinister' or 'evil' race to be added, since all of the other races are considered 'goodly'

I think you would probably get something more along these lines, 'We needed a next to useless race, which no one would ever use, but threw in just to mix things up a bit.'

For Alicia: I'd say the name Halfling was generated due to the stature of the halfling being approximately half the size of the generic human, whilst still sharing the same basic appearance.

P.S I highly doubt Orcs were the brainchild of Tolkien, just because he used them in a book, and gave them his own spin by giving them a history does not mean they were his creation. I'd put my money down on stories told by mothers to scare their children into behaving way back when. They may also have some kind of factual relation, e.g people born with abnormalities and such, which in the past has been hideously distorted into this totally unbelievable concoction.

Silverwizards thinking would dictate that David Bowie was the creator of the famous Goblin *shakes his head*
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.