Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Objective Comments on Devastate!! »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/03/24 at 05:51:47

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   Objective Comments on Devastate!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Objective Comments on Devastate!!  (Read 1894 times)
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

Objective Comments on Devastate!!
« on: 07/10/03 at 18:08:26 »
Quote Quote

Ok, firstly I have been away in Greece for a while, so I have missed out on things happening, and have therefore been unable to comment. I shall now take some time, and have my thoughts made known.

As already posted in numerous places on the forums, Devastate is supposed to be the most deadly spell within the realms of Nightmist...Agreed?

Being one for the few people who have actually used Devastate, I can honestly say that I didnt think it was overpowered. Granted whilst you were able to time stamina it was a lethal wepon. However, this has been removed from the game.

At present, since the new modification of Devastate mages are left in some what of a very deep trough of abilities. Previously devastating a bunny would cause approx 140 damage, now it causes a mere 105 or so. Beam does about 96. So effectively the most powerful spell ever does only 10 more damage than a poxy ray of light? Thats obscene!!

It costs 25 mp, also thus making it the most inefficient spell currently on the game.

When I heard and saw for myself the modification of the "Master of Magic" most destructive spell, I thought just how wrong things could go.

High level mages are the most powerful beings, yet they hardly seem to be more than illusionists making people invisible. Such dark times this is for the magical generations.

There is no way on earth such a powerful spell can be so feeble. Also with all the resists, fizzling, partial resist etc. mages are fast falling into the depths of oblivion.

Mages have NO spell that can modify their spell damage, unlike every other class being affected by Enhance and Righteous Fury etc. Even the amulets that give +1 intelligence dont affect damage by anything significant.

On another point, why the hell should a Cleric be able to heal for 100+ everytime, they even have more advanced spells. They can hurt entire squares, hell they can even make their stamina return to maximum. For example, a level 30 mage only gets 4 stamina back with Haste. However, a level 30 cleric gets 5 stamina back with both Blessed Haste (castable on whole parties), or the much cheaper Holy Might.

Why cant you see that your making Mages so pathetic, that no one is going to want to use one. Even their mana gets ripped from them. Clerics heal for 100+, with the long time widely available Divine Restoration for about 8mp. Devastate about 50-80 varying on wisdom, with added resists, fizzles and partial resists, not yet even widely available and costs a stupid 25mp. It's ludicris!!
Even Druids out spell mages, their armor spells are just awesome. Also stormwrath costs very low mp and does 10 less damage than beam.

Mages even get rounded by almost every class due to their very low hp, unless your able to get or willing to buy Aura of Protection, plus 2mil+ gold of extra equipment.

Most players remember old_fart/Milagros really dominating. This is due to the simple facts:
1. John is a good player, and can work mages well.
2. Whem stamina timing was in John was good at this, thus managing to inflict about 7-9 devastates in quick succession.
3. In large events such as Triplex, he uses Nightshade Elixirs, Vampire Potions and Powerstones. So anyone could do very well with full mp/hp heals, and stamina regains, and the vamparic ability the vampire potion gives for the short period of time. He also used these when dueling the 3 level 30 rangers posted about on forums somewhere.

Anyone using Vampire Potions or Nightshade Elixirs would do some serious damage to people dueling them.

Also the only people that seem to be posting that Devastate be tweaked, or the people with no hope at all of getting it, no hope at all of buying it, and are incapable of training a mage to level 30 because they are very difficult to train.

Players need to stop thinking about personal power, and only posting ideas on their mains alts. Then when a good idea, thats powerful comes up for a class other than their mains, they say how overpowered it would become.

I have posted this numerous times, but no one seems to listen, and it's ruining the game with people only listening to themselves.
IP Logged
Cupcake

I love this game more than taffy!

faux_pas17   faux+pas17
View Profile

Re: Objective Comments on Devastate!!
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/03 at 18:14:01 »
Quote Quote

Ill drink to that....
IP Logged

I'm handin' out beat downs like lollie pops. You in the mood for a sucka, sucka?
Harath

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 07/10/03 at 19:07:31 »
Quote Quote

I agree with what your saying there, but I have one comment to make:

on 07/10/03 at 18:08:26, Eternyte wrote:
people only listening to themselves.

Not meaning to sound rude, but you seem to fit right into that category.

/who Eternyte
---------------- Eternyte ----------------
Name: ÂnD®£w
Class: Male Gnome Archmaster Mage
Clan: The Resistance Leader (HELP!!)

Arch Mage, looks to me like your only thinking of yourself. I know you might not be, but you have to admit that it makes your opinion look biased.
IP Logged
Bobbity

Email

« Reply #3 on: 07/10/03 at 19:11:27 »
Quote Quote

So what? He likes mages..  I agree, Devastate utterly sucks now...
IP Logged
Harath

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 07/10/03 at 19:16:49 »
Quote Quote

I'm just saying that he shouldn't make statements like that, especially when he fits right into it. But I do agree with him, devastate needs improving somehow.
IP Logged
Bobbity

Email

« Reply #5 on: 07/10/03 at 19:20:03 »
Quote Quote

It needs changing back to it's original power.
IP Logged
Harath

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 07/10/03 at 19:23:52 »
Quote Quote

No it does not. That would be way over powered, imagine every mage with devestate doing that much, nothing would stand a chance.
IP Logged
Bobbity

Email

« Reply #7 on: 07/10/03 at 19:27:43 »
Quote Quote

That's what it should be like. It's not overpowered, it's sensible.
IP Logged
Ender

Email

« Reply #8 on: 07/10/03 at 19:40:35 »
Quote Quote

Sensible? Its stupid. 5 Arch Mages with Devastate....take out parties of 15.  Its not JUST devastate that needs improving its mages too! I think they should get more HP personally. And Devastate + 20 dmg /shrug.
IP Logged
Bobbity

Email

« Reply #9 on: 07/10/03 at 19:44:18 »
Quote Quote

And tell me Rich, who would, and how long would it take to get 5 arch mages with Devastate?
IP Logged
Ender

Email

« Reply #10 on: 07/10/03 at 19:53:22 »
Quote Quote

Not that long.

Example.
Look how long it took for Spider Gauntlets to be cheap.
No-one could kill it at first, as they didn't have the power, look at the people today. It may be a mage only area, so what? There are quite a few mages who would go there to get it, huge parties would, Over and Over, people will buy them, but so many will come in-to game they will become cheap. Every Mage will have Devastate soon. Like AOP and SG's. AOP - Wanted Badly back then. Now you can pick it up for 200k.
IP Logged
dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 07/10/03 at 20:01:39 »
Quote Quote

andy has a mage. true, and he has atleast 1 high level crit of every class.

everyone just shut up. andy is right.
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
Ender

Email

« Reply #12 on: 07/10/03 at 20:05:13 »
Quote Quote

Or you shut up? And put some constructive comments in to this post.

Andy isn't always right, just cause both Andy and Ste Have a high level of every class.

Other people have a right to express their opinions. You cannot come in to a post and say Shut Up..
IP Logged
Marros

Sapper710
View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: 07/10/03 at 20:07:17 »
Quote Quote

Mages are entirely reliant on spells for the most part, everyone will agree with that right?  Then tell me why clerics, which can also heal for 100+, have more spells then mages by like double.  It's absolutly unrealistic and quite frankly, stupid!  Mages should keep their hp and mp as it is (it works out nicely), but receive more spells, and something that puts them over the top like devastate.  Mages are hardest to train, and lowest hp... Doesn't that mean they should have some pretty nice spells?  They don't...  I would take a druid or cleric over a mage any day.  But back to the subject, I think devastate should have lowered mp cost, and raise damage or decrease resist rate to 0.

*Edit: And just to tell you, I don't have any mages...
IP Logged
Despair
United_Kingdom 

»º ïñ§åtïåßlë º«

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 07/10/03 at 20:20:47 »
Quote Quote

Good post and I agree with just about everything you said . . .

But do have one query, didn't Milagros even with his not amazing hp in a duel vs 3 Arch Rangers being used by an experienced player manage to take 2 of them down . . .

And afterwards asked for a re duel with the confidence to offer a million gold pot to prove that he wouldn't die again . . .  

Now I know since the damage has been reduced slightly . . . but should any crit be able to take down 3 other crits of the same level?
IP Logged
Ender

Email

« Reply #15 on: 07/10/03 at 20:28:01 »
Quote Quote

I was the player Milagros dueled. He took out one of my crits.
IP Logged
Cupcake

I love this game more than taffy!

faux_pas17   faux+pas17
View Profile

« Reply #16 on: 07/10/03 at 20:39:51 »
Quote Quote

hp on mages is fine, it does not need to be raised. Aura balances out the low hp, as if it was raised and had aura, they truly would be Gods. Numerous people can tell you that Milagros was far from invincible even before devastate was altered. However devastate gave mages a fighting chance against classes they would normally stand no chance of defeating before, such as thieves, rangers, and zerkers.
IP Logged

I'm handin' out beat downs like lollie pops. You in the mood for a sucka, sucka?
PureMourning
Ethiopia 

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 07/10/03 at 20:45:25 »
Quote Quote

Since this spell will be added into the game for everyone, I think it's fine that it is lowered, BUT, the spell's power was lowered TOO much.  

I think it makes sense that the spell's power was lowered for the fact it'll be in game, but I think this whole problem would be fixed if you just increased it back up slightly. Simple?
IP Logged
Zephie
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Kalypso in game.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 07/10/03 at 21:49:01 »
Quote Quote

I agree with the damage being changed, but the mp cost should be reduced slightly.

IP Logged

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Payne

ïMmÓrtÅ£ ®ôß

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: 07/10/03 at 23:34:43 »
Quote Quote

nah i think it was lowered to much..about that 5 mages runing around wiht devestate pking crap have u ever encounder a party of 5 arch zerkers?..wiht spells they can do WAYYY more damage than 5 mages and they dont even use mana..so just cuz the spell his for 80-90''s more depending on wiz shouldnt be lowerd cuz i can berserk for 80-140 wiht my zerker and round "ANY" crit with a good round..whats my point? that if people keep whining about spells and crits being to powerfull then everyhitng will be lowered making this game usless..i suggest leave it how it was before
IP Logged

Page/Memo Astinus,Payne,Apocalypse in game

http://www.geocities.com/baby10884/Watch.jpg
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.