Iso: Low-level Restricted Areas For Multi

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:59 AM

Over the next few weeks, I'll be looking for one or more low-level restricted areas for the multi-alt server. We want to be encouraging new players with some sharp, exciting areas but I'm a bit busy with a number of other projects so this is your chance to contribute an area. In general, these areas will not be the most interesting things for old-school players, but will hopefully give some new and unique things for new and old players to do together. If you want good examples of the kinds of things we are looking for, the Necro Tower area or the Scarlet Daggers Guild are both prime examples.

Design criteria:
- Multi server only.
- Maximum character level of 24 or less.
- Must be new-player friendly.
- Drops must not exceeds the best available class armor/weapon at level 25.
- Maximum area of approximately 50 grid squares.
- Area can be restricted to certain classes or open to all.
- An entrance in or near Nightmist.

What to post (this overrides other rules for posting):
- A title for your thread that begins with "LLRA:"
- A full map of the area
- A 1-paragraph description of the storyline
- A full specification of any drops or unique items
- A rough outline of the strength/power of monsters
- Full descriptions of a few sample rooms.

If we find initial proposals that we like, we'll post on those threads requesting more detail.

Judging criteria:
- Small and elegant will win over large and bulky.
- Compelling storyline that doesn't conflict with other game content.
- Spelling, grammar, and style count.
- Good understanding of the balance of low-level play.
- Unique descriptions on every room (like SDG) will win over Mass-produced grids

I reserve the right to use any and all of the submissions, but I'm hoping that at least one of these will make it into game. Also, this will not be open to a player vote, since they must fit into existing plans the staff already have. Rules may also change as I remember things that I've forgotten.

Questions about these rules should be posted on this thread. Areas should be posted on their own threads. Good luck!
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#2 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

I may or may not post it, depending on time etc. But I have always thought a rooftop area for the city of Nightmist would be pretty cool. Fans of Discworld will have an idea of what I mean. Towers and gargoyles and traps and thieves, hidden entrances to building and lots and lots of secrets.

Sounds better by the minute.
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#3 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

I may or may not post it, depending on time etc. But I have always thought a rooftop area for the city of Nightmist would be pretty cool. Fans of Discworld will have an idea of what I mean. Towers and gargoyles and traps and thieves, hidden entrances to building and lots and lots of secrets.

Sounds better by the minute.

That actually sounds quite awesome. There could be several entrances throughout the city where you could /climb up while having a rope or a ladder in your inventory or if you have a dex value above, lets say, 20.

Do it!

Edited by Cule, 06 November 2007 - 09:33 PM.

#4 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:39 AM

Just one lil question... Why do you have to submit a full map of the area? Surely this will totally and utterly negate the point of new areas, since any secrets/tricks can be revealed by simply looking on the site

#5 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

A few reasons:

- Anything submitted will be changed before being put in game.

- Part of the point is to make this as easy as possible for me to read and possibly to implement. Digging through the majority of the posts without maps has shown me that deciphering the post is often impossible without consulting the map.

- The map design gives me a very quick indication of whether you've followed the directions.

- These are supposed to be new-player-friendly areas, not necessarily areas that will provide great challenges to more experienced players.

#6 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

That actually sounds quite awesome. There could be several entrances throughout the city where you could /climb up while having a rope or a ladder in your inventory or if you have a dex value above, lets say, 20.

Do it!

Let's say 22 :ph34r:

It wouldn't necessarily need a "boss" or anything...just secrets and traps and danger and fun o.o

Like you can drop down into the back room of the armoury and /examine for a nice little shield or something...but you can only get back up with a rope, otherwise you have to fight your way out past a guard.

I'm in a good mood so creativity is working again, go me!
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#7 Slushie

Slushie
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

http://www.nightmist...showtopic=26926

#8 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

lol 22 dex to get in, i like it :ph34r:
Disaster ingame.

#9 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

Is this development paradigm still open? It's been a bit quiet on this front.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#10 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

I believe four people thus far have submitted their "LLRA" areas. Has any of these been considered?
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#11 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

I believe four people thus far have submitted their "LLRA" areas. Has any of these been considered?

More than 4 have been submitted. Three were initially selected. Two [1,2] have been open in game for months now. One is still under construction.

Is this development paradigm still open? It's been a bit quiet on this front.

Yes, more might be added in the future, but it is not our top priority. We wanted a little bit of new low-level content and we got that. We've now switched to providing some additional challenges for higher levels [3,4].

#12 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, I noticed those threads such as the one depicting Sleeping's area. I just wans't sure if those were directly taken from this pool of LLRA areas submitted here.

Thanks for clearing that up Trev.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#13 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

What's the hint that a suggestion is being considered or has been rejected? Just that replies of 'o.O' or total silence I find a bit too ambiguous and unnerving.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#14 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

When I start building an area, I discuss it with the topic author and so far, they have all been involved in that process.

I see no need to reject areas. Things that don't fit well now might be a reasonable fit once other things are added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users