Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - An Area Suggestion »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/29/24 at 07:39:42

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   An Area Suggestion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: An Area Suggestion  (Read 563 times)
Gnosis
USA 

Independent

clayton_1_99   XCXBX03
View Profile

An Area Suggestion
« on: 11/23/03 at 00:59:46 »
Quote Quote

I like to look at each area in the game as a piece of property.
Thus being the fact Property gets sold (Not as what you might think Don't sale it to Nightmist Players). A new owner comes in and The property has a different Objective. I would like to take Rose Garden/Surrounding Areas for example.

The Monarch dies, and someone in his Will takes the place over. New Quest developes, and making the old one totally obsolete and making Items from the area Obsolete. Thus with a New quest new Weapons/Armor come into the game and giving a new advantage.  

Its a thought... I get terrible bored of seeing the same places over and over. I have been playing this game for over 2 years now and the Rose Garden is just getting "Old". Why not just create somthing new with what you already have. In my next example I will use the Town of Airlin.

Airlin where all the 'Hunters' hang out. In the pub there is a bar room brawl late one night and a Lantern is tipped over Burning the entire town and part of the forest. After some time the Town is rebuilt (Maybe given a new name?) and the Forest is ruined, thus making the bears and such find a new home in the Grassy Meadow?

I don't know what else much to add, just a suggestion. Please leave 'Intellegent' Inquiries below, I know its a hard thing to do. But atleast try.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 11/23/03 at 01:39:18 by Gnosis » IP Logged

Gnosis, Ice_Wrath, Seek, Jew
Spectrum
England 

No clips. No bullets. No mess!

View Profile Email

Re: An Area Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 11/23/03 at 12:03:54 »
Quote Quote

Wouldn't this mean some unlucky person, has to go back over every square and change discriptions, and monsters, and basicly everything about that area. Also, wouldn't this idea unbalance some things, (like changing a apprentice area to being a journeyman area?) As new players will still want to get these items and if these items were no longer avalible for what ever reason, the prices for them would shoot up. I do agree it does get boring seeing the same things over and over. But the logical thing to do is add extentions to excisting areas.
IP Logged

Yllap/Void/Spectrum - For now.
Gnosis
USA 

Independent

clayton_1_99   XCXBX03
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 11/23/03 at 16:57:45 »
Quote Quote

I don't guess you have ever wondered into an Antique store?
Prices of things are double than what they were when they were Manufactured.
IP Logged

Spectrum
England 

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: 11/23/03 at 19:24:35 »
Quote Quote

So basicly if you haven't been playing for over 6 months your not going to be able to afford anything anymore?
IP Logged

Mephistroth
United_Kingdom 

Thanks to Anubis for letting me use the image :P

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 11/23/03 at 20:40:02 »
Quote Quote

Try thinking about it. You would still be able to afford the new items, its just the old, rare ones that increase in price.
IP Logged

Ok, so I kinda didn't ask.. oh well Grin
Gnosis
USA 

Independent

clayton_1_99   XCXBX03
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 11/23/03 at 22:14:21 »
Quote Quote

on 11/23/03 at 12:03:54, Spectrum wrote:
But the logical thing to do is add extentions to excisting areas.

I am supposing you know nothing about a computer. Everything on a computer is little bitty pieces of information. over time adding 'New' little bitty pieces of information adds up. Thus more space is needed to forfill the task. I don't have a clue how much space this game and everything associated with this game takes up on Jonathan's computer. But I do know a new 100 gb Hard drive cost over $100. Why add new areas when you can just fix up the old ones that aren't used...

I guess its just me, as a hobby I fix up 'Old' Stuff and Sell it wiether it be cars, Computers, or whatever. The person buying is Satisfied.

Wouldn't this mean some unlucky person, has to go back over every square and change discriptions, and monsters, and basicly everything about that area.

Descriptions yes they would need to be Changed. But I also have to point out it would be Much easier to change descriptions than create all the Squares for the area from scratch. I'm not saying The 'Map' Itself has to be changed.

Also, wouldn't this idea unbalance some things, (like changing a apprentice area to being a journeyman area?)

No, not neccisarly, but honestly how many times do you want to kill Elshira? or the Demonic General? after the first few times, it gets Rather 'Boring'.

As new players will still want to get these items and if these items were no longer avalible for what ever reason, the prices for them would shoot up.

Like it has been said before. The old areas will be converted to New Areas. Thus 'New' Items to take the place of the old.
Old items then become 'Rare' and un able to be found in a one aday.

I will answer any other questions opposing or supporting the idea accordingly.
« Last Edit: 11/23/03 at 22:35:10 by Gnosis » IP Logged

Spectrum
England 

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: 11/24/03 at 13:39:58 »
Quote Quote

So what you going to do when the new areas become boring, keep chaging them?  

Edit: Would we actually experience the fire of arlin? Like have loads of monsters raid the place. And we get to fight them off? I'm not trying to put down your idea, just trying to find out about it, so far it seems pritty good though  Grin
IP Logged

Gnosis
USA 

Independent

clayton_1_99   XCXBX03
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 11/24/03 at 17:20:30 »
Quote Quote

on 11/24/03 at 13:39:58, Spectrum wrote:
So what you going to do when the new areas become boring, keep changing them?

That part of the suggestion isn't my call, But what do you do when you don't like the way your bed room is set up? Rearrange right? I rearrange my room atleast every 4 months. But this wouldn't be my call unless I was actully staff(which is a long shot.)
EDIT:
Thanks to Kharybdis for pointing this out its JLH's Call, Thanks again Kharybdis!  Cheesy
on 11/24/03 at 13:39:58, Spectrum wrote:

Edit: Would we actually experience the fire of arlin? Like have loads of monsters raid the place. And we get to fight them off? I'm not trying to put down your idea, just trying to find out about it, so far it seems pritty good though  Grin

Also somthing that wouldn't be my call, this is totally up to the person that Remodels the new area. so I wouldn't be able to say .. and it was an example, but that would be a good suggestion and should be noted.
« Last Edit: 11/24/03 at 23:04:11 by Gnosis » IP Logged

Kharybdis
USA 

DeludedMindGame
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 11/24/03 at 22:30:23 »
Quote Quote

Even if you were staff you'd need approval from JLH to change/update areas, so it wouldn't exactly be "your call".
IP Logged
Gnosis
USA 

Independent

clayton_1_99   XCXBX03
View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 11/24/03 at 23:00:46 »
Quote Quote

Kharybdis, I really don't think that post was needed. Thanks for pointing that out. Next time I want a comment like that, I will call for the 'Royal Jester'.
IP Logged

Kharybdis
USA 

DeludedMindGame
View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 11/24/03 at 23:41:39 »
Quote Quote

Just correcting a misconception; no offense was intended.
IP Logged
Gnosis
USA 

Independent

clayton_1_99   XCXBX03
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 11/24/03 at 23:54:57 »
Quote Quote

It was the Quotations around the "Your Call" that tweaked me off. I think this is a good idea, but it seems that no one likes it. Just another dead topic.
IP Logged

Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: 11/26/03 at 03:34:08 »
Quote Quote

What your suggesting is simply alot of unneccesary work. Whilst these areas may not appeal to you, they are all still new and exciting to newer players, just the other day I saw a bunch of newbs going off their nut because they got a spider staff. It takes long enough and loads of work already as it is to get new areas, let alone remodel every area in the game on a regular basis. The larger the world of nightmist gets, the more exciting and diverse it will get. With expansion, perhaps one day we will have a world so big that there will be loads of players that we will never meet until we cross an entire continent, perhaps the world will grow so large, there will be multiple 'countries' that we may start in? It's this kind of diversity and expansion Nightmist should be driving for, not pissing around with an already working formula.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Raylen
England 

=)/¥\r.Ñ¡çÊ.Gû¥ (=

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 12/03/03 at 11:25:40 »
Quote Quote

Great post deval, i couldn't agree more. I remember the first (and only, lol) time i got a spider staff, was awesome! More recently, went with some mates and killed the chameleon. I'm sure in the future there's gonna be a trip up to see the time knight...  Cheesy

The idea of other continents sounds cool too, like maybe you could move clan house to another continent, with perhaps monsters with better exp/gold, or you could just go to silversail port and buy passage to the other continent  Cool

Bah i have too many ideas, i should probably go away and think about all of this and write it all out Smiley

Woot! You could like buy your own ship or something for like a mill gold or so, and then become a merchant or something, then you could get pked by pirates from TR or something  Grin
IP Logged

Page/memo Commotion
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: 12/03/03 at 22:45:00 »
Quote Quote

TR pirates...imagine that  Shocked
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.