Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - C++ »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/13/24 at 12:37:38

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   C++
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: C++  (Read 2326 times)
JLH
Game Creator / Administrator
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

Re: C++
« Reply #40 on: 01/16/04 at 00:21:21 »
Quote Quote

on 01/15/04 at 20:24:42, Abj wrote:
Geeses all i wanted to no in the first place was what language i should learn and end up with loads of people telling me things after i start learning i get told to learn somthin else lol.

right a question what programmeing language(s) did you/JLH use to make nightmist and how long it take you to make it to be released and i aint asking cause i wanna make it. IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!! lol just wondering

nightmist is all visual basic, the first version took 6 weeks to create (the summer holiday) and since then it has been continually upgraded. I have no plans to rewrite everything in another language, because it all works fine as it is. I've been doing basic since i was 6 tho, so i can easily code in it so changing for me would be a big deal, although i do know how to work visual c++, i don't use it because i know basic better.
if you know nothing, it would probably be a good idea to learn a new language like one of the .net's, i have not looked at them yet so can't comment further on them.

Edit: VB is an intrepreted language, along with the .net's so they run on top of a framework (vb runtime dll's and .net framework). C++ compiles directly for the cpu and so can run on any operating system with minimal changes. The fastest langauge though is assembly, the language of the computer processor, but it would take ages to make the simplist of things.
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #41 on: 01/16/04 at 00:25:04 »
Quote Quote

Ok.. As a complete novice to coding. Where would all you people suggest I start? I'm guessing, as JLH said with the .net's. But, what's the different between them? How many are there? Is a book best? Classes? Tutorials?

Thanks foir any and all advice in advance Smiley
IP Logged

JLH
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: 01/16/04 at 00:39:02 »
Quote Quote

i started just messing about with basic and typing games into it from the user guide that came with the bbc (only way to play a game was to load it from a cassette or type in the code, i didn't have a disc drive back then (they cost like £200!)
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
Issy
USA 

I am Alpha and Omega; the first and the last

67662135 67662135   Isaiah213   Issyfur
View Profile

« Reply #43 on: 01/16/04 at 01:24:57 »
Quote Quote

I started with C++  and C. then adapted into VB, and am slowly growing from there.
IP Logged

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Thenobleone
USA 

Razanon in game.

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: 01/16/04 at 02:11:56 »
Quote Quote

Ok maybe I can help a bit here.  .Net consists of 15 supported langs.  The only ones I know of are Managed C++, C#, VB.Net, J#, Cobal.Net.  There are many more that are supported I just can't remember.  Now Managed C++ is not compiled directly to the Machine anymore.  It is now just like all the other .Net langs.  They are compiled to a assembly lang called MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language).  Then when the exe is run the JIT (Just in Time) compiler is run analzing the MSIL and converting it to x86 Binary Machine code.  Then the CLR (common language runtime) executes the code on the machine.  Now the CLR is the only part of the .Net framework with total access to the system.  This makes things more safe your computer.

The types of safty are for example in C++ you can use pointers well bad pointer math will screw your computer and cause memory leaks and worse yet overwrite memory that runs the os and other important things the CLR can prevent this somewhat.

Now all of the langs compile to nearly Identical IL.  Thus the langs can interact with eachother very well.  Every lang now references variables By Val as the default then removing lots of interoperability problems that they use to have.

So that means all the langs that come in .Net can interact with eachother with no code change whatsoever. YEY!

JLH that means no more haveing to type By Val for every var in a api function.

Now the best lang in .Net is C# and it is the most powerful as it was made only for .Net and not modified to .Net.  The reason it is more powerful is it has 100% full access to all of the CLR's functionality.

Now the coolest thing about .Net is that it will eventually work on multiple operating systems without having to recompile the code

the reason for that is that the .net framework will have a CLR that will compile to there machine code therefor your program can run without ever needing to be changed or recompiled on diff computers.

Ok I am tired of typing Tongue  Hope that helps all of you understand a bit more about .Net and hopfully in insighted you JLH.
IP Logged

Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED !!!!!!!!!!!
JLH
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #45 on: 01/16/04 at 02:46:12 »
Quote Quote

Quote:
JLH that means no more haveing to type By Val for every var in a api function
i don't anyway, lol.
also, i prefer to write my own functions, so api's are avoided generally.
IP Logged

Thenobleone
USA 

Razanon in game.

View Profile

« Reply #46 on: 01/16/04 at 02:52:27 »
Quote Quote

lol well most people in Vb use the api's quite a bit especially when writing games so I assumed you did as well I guess i was wrong then.  However, I still hope the rest of it gave you a bit better look at .Net.
IP Logged

Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED !!!!!!!!!!!
Flawless

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: 01/22/04 at 19:43:50 »
Quote Quote

lol writing your own function is much more fun (sarcasm), though writing your own functions is better in my opinion. Though going back to JLH point assembly is crazy language anyone that can program in it is well crazily clever or spends every moment of their life learning it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.