Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
ォ Nightmist Online Forum - C++ サ
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/12/24 at 23:46:19

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   C++
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: C++  (Read 2324 times)
Pandilex
Game Creator / Administrator
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

Re: C++
« Reply #20 on: 11/30/03 at 14:47:32 »
Quote Quote

I think a lot of people need to get their facts straight before they post. Every post bar the first is misinformation based on what seems to be a couple of lines they read somewhere in an article. If you have no idea what you're talking about then that's fine but please don't pretend you do!
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Kalel
USA 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: 12/05/03 at 07:41:47 »
Quote Quote

on 11/30/03 at 14:47:32, Pandilex wrote:
If you have no idea what you're talking about then that's fine but please don't pretend you do!

if every one did that the post count per day would only be -1
IP Logged

http://www.venom-gaming.com
Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: 12/05/03 at 15:36:19 »
Quote Quote

on 12/05/03 at 07:41:47, Fujin wrote:

if every one did that the post count per day would only be -1

IP Logged

Abj
United_Kingdom 

I Dunno y?

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: 12/05/03 at 21:14:16 »
Quote Quote

well ok then, i checked the Moose project and decided to go with C++ just spent some money on a book and learning it as we speak. ty Pandilex
IP Logged

Abj, Alienated, Firekeeper, Steam, Zooom
rebel_blaidd
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: 01/10/04 at 17:35:46 »
Quote Quote

maths knolidge and problem solving skills would help too theres quite a few good tutorials online aswellit aint all that easy to learn c++ but if it was anyone could do it like umm *cough* vb *cough* lmao j/k i have a hatered for vb which comes from having to do vba at college which if ppl dont know vba is visual basic for (ghey microsoft) applications also i like it how c++ you see the whole backbone and from what ive looked at in vb you dont see everything and the way its set out is just strange d**n ive been pissing myself laffing at thease postes in here i dont realy know much about c# but i know it aint java heh btw the creator of c++ (not exactly acurate) bjorn straustup dossnt even acknoledge java as being anything like c++ lol it came from c but it changed quite a bit some methods and stuff are simular but not entirely
IP Logged
Breton
USA 

I've come to bring you hell...

Methos21488
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #25 on: 01/10/04 at 17:52:58 »
Quote Quote

on 01/10/04 at 17:35:46, rebel_blaidd wrote:
maths knolidge and problem solving skills would help too theres quite a few good tutorials online aswellit aint all that easy to learn c++ but if it was anyone could do it like umm *cough* vb *cough* lmao j/k i have a hatered for vb which comes from having to do vba at college which if ppl dont know vba is visual basic for (ghey microsoft) applications also i like it how c++ you see the whole backbone and from what ive looked at in vb you dont see everything and the way its set out is just strange d**n ive been pissing myself laffing at thease postes in here i dont realy know much about c# but i know it aint java heh btw the creator of c++ (not exactly acurate) bjorn straustup dossnt even acknoledge java as being anything like c++ lol it came from c but it changed quite a bit some methods and stuff are simular but not entirely

Math skills are required for any time of programing, its the only thing I ever apply my Algebra2+ math classes I took...
IP Logged

"Fear is a Mind Killer"
Bill
England 

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: 01/10/04 at 18:54:10 »
Quote Quote

I prefer VB over C++ etc. it's much easier to make visual things in (hence the name) Visual Basic, and i've also learnt a bit of Python, which is a very easy language, but i'm not too keen on it, for one thing it doesn't make .exe files, so you need the program to run it.

And yes, maths skills are required in most types of programming i've seen anyway.

on 11/29/03 at 22:46:11, Pandilex wrote:
lol I don't agree with any of your comparisons, microsoft has its own version of java which is not c#

J++?
IP Logged
acapulco

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: 01/11/04 at 00:22:06 »
Quote Quote

on 11/30/03 at 14:47:32, Pandilex wrote:
I think a lot of people need to get their facts straight before they post. Every post bar the first is misinformation based on what seems to be a couple of lines they read somewhere in an article. If you have no idea what you're talking about then that's fine but please don't pretend you do!

why u always so cranky?  i think u need to get laid buddy boy
IP Logged

magoo/remix ingame
dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: 01/11/04 at 06:13:04 »
Quote Quote

actually, you're all wrong, C# is Db. hah! i made a funny.
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #29 on: 01/11/04 at 06:19:14 »
Quote Quote

on 01/11/04 at 00:22:06, acapulco wrote:

why u always so cranky? i think u need to get laid buddy boy

Why is it that I always see "go get laid" comments on these forums?  Like sexual gratification is going to change anything in this situation.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Thenobleone
USA 

Razanon in game.

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: 01/15/04 at 12:07:17 »
Quote Quote

Ok I am learning C#.  Now this is what C# really is I watched a show made by microsoft by the developers of c# and thisis what they said it was.

C# is a combination of the good points of many languages and missing the bad points in these languages.  C# is a combination of C++/C and Java with a few things from other langs I can't remember.  C# only works on the .Net platform and the easiest way to use it is with MSVS.Net.  MSVS.Net costs around $1000 usd for the low down version.

http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Episode008/default.asp

Watch that and it will tell you what it is.
IP Logged

Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED !!!!!!!!!!!
Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: 01/15/04 at 12:18:26 »
Quote Quote

Cheesy

It's cool. The new Black & White game is written in .NET =)

Microsoft demonstrated Quake 2 written in .NET at our university a while back.
IP Logged

Thenobleone
USA 

Razanon in game.

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: 01/15/04 at 12:22:50 »
Quote Quote

lol actually I saw a demo in the .Net Show archives which was raw recompile of native c++ into managed c++ the fps dropped by 10% from 60 to 50 but that was no written in managed code with managed directx 9 and managed c++ so if it was totaly re written in managed you would have only seen about a 1 - 2% decrease. Tongue
IP Logged

Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED !!!!!!!!!!!
Abj
United_Kingdom 

I Dunno y?

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: 01/15/04 at 14:35:27 »
Quote Quote

right i put C++ on hold and started learning VB instead
IP Logged

Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: 01/15/04 at 16:00:33 »
Quote Quote

on 01/15/04 at 14:35:27, Abj wrote:
right i put C++ on hold and started learning VB instead

Put both on hold and learn C#, it is superior in every way.
IP Logged

Abj
United_Kingdom 

I Dunno y?

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: 01/15/04 at 19:06:50 »
Quote Quote

yes but i am new to programming and VB is easier to learn first
IP Logged

Issy
USA 

I am Alpha and Omega; the first and the last

67662135 67662135   Isaiah213   Issyfur
View Profile

« Reply #36 on: 01/15/04 at 20:06:34 »
Quote Quote

on 01/15/04 at 16:00:33, Pandilex wrote:

Put both on hold and learn C#, it is superior in every way.

I've taken  a C++ course, and a VB course. Right now i'm taking Java.

In college, i'll take all of them include including C# and VB.net.

I don't know how much different VB and VB.net is....so i'm a bit excited.
IP Logged

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: 01/15/04 at 20:18:05 »
Quote Quote

on 01/15/04 at 20:06:34, Issy wrote:

I've taken a C++ course, and a VB course. Right now i'm taking Java.

In college, i'll take all of them include including C# and VB.net.

I don't know how much different VB and VB.net is....so i'm a bit excited.

C# and VB.NET are essesntially the same, but with C# having a Java/C++ sort of syntax, and VB.NET having a visual basic sort of syntax.

.NET is object-oriented, while VB is not. This makes it infinitely more powerful and easy to use. Rather than have huge ugly arrays and other such nonsense, you can make a class, say for example, a Cat class. Inside the class is everything you need for a cat, so it would have a Name property, and perhaps a Colour property. It would also have a method to make it Meow and Purr.
Once you've made the class, you can now make as many cats as you want. In visual basic, you cannot do this, you can only use types (which are pointless without serialization).

This makes it very easy to create large numbers of anything, for example in Nightmist we would use a Monster class, a Player class, an Equipment class, Sword Classes, Shield classes, etc etc.

Then to create players, we'd just do like  

Pandilex = New Player();

And ta-da we have a new player called Pandilex who has a name, race, etc - everything we defined earlier. Saving to a file is a matter of a handful of lines, rather than something that loops through an array. These are just some of the things that make .NET better than visual basic.

Visual basic is very difficult to write large programs in because it is poorly structured and code is very hard to read (This is the reason that the first opal spheres game was abandoned).

In C#, I can read other people's code including my own without any difficulties. It offers so much more than what's above, but that is the main use of it. It is where industry is going - sadly visual basic will become obselete in a few months/years and .NET will be the industry standard. Hurrah for microsoft.

I strongly advise against learning visual basic, it is not up to standard and does not have any cutting edge technologies. .NET programs can be compiled to work on computers such as Windows machines, Tablet PC's and even SmartPhones (my housemate has one of these and I'm very jealous). It also works on one of the unix distributions, and when the .NET frameworks for other operating systems are completed, it will work on those too.
IP Logged

Abj
United_Kingdom 

I Dunno y?

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: 01/15/04 at 20:24:42 »
Quote Quote

Geeses all i wanted to no in the first place was what language i should learn and end up with loads of people telling me things after i start learning i get told to learn somthin else lol.

right a question what programmeing language(s) did you/JLH use to make nightmist and how long it take you to make it to be released and i aint asking cause i wanna make it. IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!! lol just wondering
IP Logged

Issy
USA 

I am Alpha and Omega; the first and the last

67662135 67662135   Isaiah213   Issyfur
View Profile

« Reply #39 on: 01/16/04 at 00:07:48 »
Quote Quote

on 01/15/04 at 20:18:05, Pandilex wrote:

.NET is object-oriented, while VB is not. This makes it infinitely more powerful and easy to use. Rather than have huge ugly arrays and other such nonsense, you can make a class, say for example, a Cat class. Inside the class is everything you need for a cat, so it would have a Name property, and perhaps a Colour property. It would also have a method to make it Meow and Purr.
Once you've made the class, you can now make as many cats as you want. In visual basic, you cannot do this, you can only use types (which are pointless without serialization).

That would mean  C++ and .NET are similar as well? Considering C++ is object oriented  as well.

on 01/15/04 at 20:18:05, Pandilex wrote:

This makes it very easy to create large numbers of anything, for example in Nightmist we would use a Monster class, a Player class, an Equipment class, Sword Classes, Shield classes, etc etc.

Then to create players, we'd just do like  

Pandilex = New Player();

And ta-da we have a new player called Pandilex who has a name, race, etc - everything we defined earlier. Saving to a file is a matter of a handful of lines, rather than something that loops through an array. These are just some of the things that make .NET better than visual basic.

Thats what C++ is like generally. The Chess program a friend and i tried to make (which we still havn't got working) required. Create a pawn class, queen class, king class etc etc...

VB is a weird language  in my opinion. Before i took VB, i could look at VB and semi-understand it.

Java is similar to C++ to me as well.
IP Logged

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB ゥ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.