Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - im wondring why certain areas have been changed. »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/03/24 at 20:26:44

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   im wondring why certain areas have been changed.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: im wondring why certain areas have been changed.  (Read 2480 times)
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

Re: im wondring why certain areas have been change
« Reply #20 on: 03/18/03 at 08:14:45 »
Quote Quote

hmm i still wonder what hapenned to captain wylsen though Sad
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Norinth

The Elder Druid.

View Profile Email

« Reply #21 on: 03/18/03 at 13:28:36 »
Quote Quote

I didn't go often to swamp, only when I was with a few friends on training trips. Now I don't think it's actually worth it. Instead of reducing gold, why don't you make monsters harder? And why don't you ask the creator of such area before you change it? Changing squares does not affect the area, but changing monsters?

If we compare swamp to RG... RG gives a player much more gold in less time. At least an Hatchling is hard to kill with a torch. And takes long. I used to get 20k in 30 minutes or so(RG) with a level 23 fighter and a level 22 paladin.

And Barracks... Clerics heal for 100 (level 27). Have 4 stamina and 3 stamina every 10 seconds (not sure). A demonic soldier dies after a few seconds! And rangers also rock in there. 150 gold x a party of 5 rangers/clerics x 20 minutes there = a lot more than in swamp.
IP Logged

Anything just ask Smiley.
JLH
Game Creator / Administrator
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: 03/18/03 at 14:25:23 »
Quote Quote

gold is one thing, but with a torch, doing 4 times as much damage on everything 'hydra', you are gaining xp 4 times as fast.
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
Valentine

Welcome to  the  human race.

hillarydavis2000
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: 03/19/03 at 15:42:44 »
Quote Quote

on 03/18/03 at 14:25:23, JLH wrote:
gold is one thing, but with a torch, doing 4 times as much damage on everything 'hydra', you are gaining xp 4 times as fast.

I just want to point that the base damage of the torch is VERY low (4), meaning its only usefulness is against the hydra creatures, mosquitos, and vines. The area was designed with the use of the torch in mind--hence the high hitpoints, damage, and summoning the hydra is blessed with.
IP Logged

"Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to be controlled by good people, by people who love you." Ender's Game
Some of us are more human than others.
Bishop
USA 

Draco Honoris - Fighting for Honor and Goodness

View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: 03/19/03 at 15:53:05 »
Quote Quote

Not that my opinion was asked; but I don't feel right not saying anything.  Ignore it if you like.

The only problem with the area (as it 'was') is the character classes that have an attack that does massive damage in one hit (assassinate, berserk, and maybe rapid fire).  Besides that, it was all perfect - the area is dangerous (very challenging) and without those classes, even the gold was not over-the-top.  Simply class restricting it would fix any problem with it.

But, I highly doubt gold/exp was the real reason it was changed anyway.
IP Logged

"What you fear in the night in the day comes to call anyway."
Valentine

Welcome to  the  human race.

hillarydavis2000
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #25 on: 03/19/03 at 16:00:19 »
Quote Quote

Just pointing out...the only "crazy" damage caused may be with the thief's assassinate using a torch (don't know enough about berserk to comment on that), in which case simply disallowing thieves from using the torch would solve that problem.
IP Logged

"Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to be controlled by good people, by people who love you." Ender's Game
Some of us are more human than others.
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: 03/19/03 at 16:03:56 »
Quote Quote

berserk does more damage then assassinate
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Bishop
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #27 on: 03/19/03 at 16:04:25 »
Quote Quote

right, and rapid fire can't be done without a bow.  Although the torch is (or intended to be) a key also.  

Without being able to class restrict the torch, that leaves Thieves and Berserkers.
IP Logged

Pile

Email

« Reply #28 on: 03/19/03 at 18:44:52 »
Quote Quote

Since the basis of the high damage is a fire I think blast should also receive a considerable attack bonus on these same monsters. I guess it’s not strictly the same but even though magical, I think a fireball would technically do the same.
IP Logged
Bishop
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: 03/19/03 at 18:54:18 »
Quote Quote

Spells are worked differently - I wanted to do it that way, but never found a reasonable way to adjust the spells as such.
IP Logged

Crusher2

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: 03/19/03 at 23:45:06 »
Quote Quote

if you take the same period of time to go through the area, we discovered the swamp was comparable, even slightly lower, than some of the other areas we were training in. It is just that the xp/gold was concentrated on the hydra family. This seemed to me to make sense with the story line.

In other areas, no, the gold isn't as high on a single creature, but in the course of the same training period, you make out far better in other areas.

As for the torch doing the damage? Um, no. That's ridiculous. A hydra hatchling yields the same number of experience points regardless of what you kill it with. It is just related to the speed at which you kill it. It isn't rocket science. Do the math.
IP Logged

Phos Kai Dzoe
Pile

Email

« Reply #31 on: 03/20/03 at 00:33:25 »
Quote Quote

Rather a literal and pointless way to play it. In a game where the major constraint is time the amount of damage per hit, and therefore speed at which experience is gained, is a key element. Considered a general aim by most is the advancement of their character through gaining experience points, killing a specific monster is just an indirect outcome of this. The whole playability of the game is hinged on the maximum potential speed at which you can gain experience, and if this isn’t balanced, neither is the game.  

So while you technically get the same experience, it is this speed at which it can be achieved that it would seem some people are objecting to. After all there isn’t a set amount of times you can kill a specific monster and the swamps are big enough to provide a continual supply of clicking.
IP Logged
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #32 on: 03/20/03 at 07:38:52 »
Quote Quote

on 03/20/03 at 00:33:25, Pile wrote:
Rather a literal and pointless way to play it. In a game where the major constraint is time the amount of damage per hit, and therefore speed at which experience is gained, is a key element. Considered a general aim by most is the advancement of their character through gaining experience points, killing a specific monster is just an indirect outcome of this. The whole playability of the game is hinged on the maximum potential speed at which you can gain experience, and if this isn’t balanced, neither is the game.  

So while you technically get the same experience, it is this speed at which it can be achieved that it would seem some people are objecting to. After all there isn’t a set amount of times you can kill a specific monster and the swamps are big enough to provide a continual supply of clicking.

blah blah blah blah, thats what i got out of that. now, because of the rediculously low respawn rate for the monsters in that area *i do believe 5 minutes for masquito swarms and hydra hatchlings and an hours for heads and hydra body* the speed isnt to high
IP Logged
Pile

Email

« Reply #33 on: 03/20/03 at 11:45:42 »
Quote Quote

I well reframe from telling you what I got out of that. The point is there is always something to be killing with 4 times the speed of normal experience gain. Yes the boss takes a while to respawn but it would be hardly balanced if it were there all the time. So you can basically stick it out in the area and aimlessly wonder around never really running out of monsters to kill, and then even go back to the boss every hour and kill it again. So the overall experience gain is in fact massively quicker than training on ‘normal’ monsters, I should know I train there myself. So what exactly is it you’re whining about know, u want a permanent boss and instant respawns?
IP Logged
Crusher2

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: 03/20/03 at 12:48:42 »
Quote Quote

4 times the speed of normal experience gain? Do you actually go to the swampHuh??
IP Logged

Phos Kai Dzoe
Norinth

The Elder Druid.

View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: 03/20/03 at 13:07:25 »
Quote Quote

To go to the swamp (and survive) one must have a decent ammount of (good) crits and specially a decent cleric. And in case nobody noticed only a few players go to swamp. The swamp was fine. (not complaining about the square changes)
IP Logged

Anything just ask Smiley.
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #36 on: 03/20/03 at 14:07:04 »
Quote Quote

i just wrote up a big explanation to prove everything you just said wrong in your posts. ill make this simple, things taking 10 minutes to respawn, means you can easily whipe out an area and sit with nuthing to do.
IP Logged
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #37 on: 03/20/03 at 14:09:16 »
Quote Quote

i would also like to point out that the hydra hatchlings didnt get changed....thats a bit odd when almost every tr member i see in there *and im in there a lot* only kill the hydra hatchlings....i find a bit odd that draco honoris kill the hydra body and head all the time, along with me, and those get changed, but tr members kill hatchlings a lot and those dont get changed.

Edit: i would also like to point out the fact that its rediculous you can kill 7 hatchlings and get more gold from killing the body, when the body is a lot harder to kill. and with the hydra thorn being a worthless item......
IP Logged
Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: 03/20/03 at 14:57:45 »
Quote Quote

on 03/20/03 at 14:09:16, Tender_Foot wrote:
i would also like to point out that the hydra hatchlings didnt get changed....thats a bit odd when almost every tr member i see in there *and im in there a lot* only kill the hydra hatchlings....i find a bit odd that draco honoris kill the hydra body and head all the time, along with me, and those get changed, but tr members kill hatchlings a lot and those dont get changed.

I just have to ask, is this a serious post or are you just trying to make fun of all those pathetic newbies who thinks that staff is corrupted and want TR to get everything?
IP Logged

Fair enough.
Pile

Email

« Reply #39 on: 03/20/03 at 14:57:52 »
Quote Quote

I am well aware the speed of experience gain is dramatically increased, but when I said 4 times I am simply working of JLH said since I figured he might know what he was talking about. 1 hit point of damage yields 56 experience points from a hatchling and so a hit of 400 or more from 3 stamina would, for my character, be about 4 times what is possible with a ‘normal’ weapon on ‘normal’ monsters. And yes I frequently train in the swamps, I use a cleric 2 thieves and a berserker and never run out of things to kill. I also notice the spawn time has gone from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.

Tender_Foot, if this weren’t a forum where we all played nice, I would call you a cretin. The body is a boss for a level 25 and under area, 3k is good, you clearly don’t understand the point of balance in this game. The purpose of the boss is for the story and the item it drops, the fact that it limited in its use is a problem in itself, not a reason to make a massive gold drop. I haven’t done a lot of other boss killing in a long time so can someone point out how much some of the other bosses drop, and the increased difficulty in killing them, demonic general and such forth…

You are simply requesting the swamps be tailored to your personal needs so you can gain experience and gold as you see fit, in a potentially unbalanced manner.  

Vote Tender_Foot for sysop.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.