Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Scheduled downtime »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/05/24 at 17:49:30

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Announcements and Info
(Moderators: JLH, Pandilex)
   Scheduled downtime
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scheduled downtime  (Read 1143 times)
JLH
Game Creator / Administrator
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

Scheduled downtime
« on: 05/23/03 at 00:26:37 »

NTL have finished sorting out my extra 1mbit connection, and one of their "engineers" is coming out this saturday to put another cable network point on my wall. It will take me a few mins to get the new connection working on my laptop then the server will go down for a bit (probs an hour ish) for me to test running both lines at the same time.
Also, the current client should be set to alternate DNS off to allow the server to balance the load evenly, this will be sorted in the next client (which is not far away).
Basically, as to quote a popular forum phrase; "yay, less lag".
This will double my internet bandwidth, and will be interesting to see the results at peak times.

The forum will change from http://81.99.152.130 to http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk (even tho they are the same) to allow me to use round-robin dns to alternate requests between 81.99.152.130 and my new ip (that i don't know yet).
This means that everyone will need to relog into the forum, if you do not know your password (and it's not my fault the forum can't email passwords to some domains, i'll be making my own mod to it at some point to fix the issue) then i advise going on profile on the menu and changing it to something you do know, as last time the server's ip changed, i got many requests for passwords (although i will reply to these as fast as i can).

I am also aware that i've not been doing much work on nightmist recently, this is due mainly to a few projects on at university (york - uk). However i have been working now and then on nightmist when i get the time, and have a large update planned (server and client) when i'm happy with the results of it.
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
JLH
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Scheduled downtime
« Reply #1 on: 05/25/03 at 02:51:07 »

although the additional line works, when both lines are run together in the server, occasionally, one of the lines will stop transmitting data for about 15 seconds. so i have stopped the extra line while i work it out.
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
JLH
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Scheduled downtime
« Reply #2 on: 05/25/03 at 13:26:26 »

i got a different ip in a different subnet for one of the network cards so instead of having 81.99.152.130 and 81.99.152.85, which had the same gateway ip of 81.99.152.254. I now have 81.99.152.130 and 80.4.180.117 with gateways 81.99.152.254 and 80.4.180.254. This seems to have stopped the confusion the server was getting with where to send data, but we'll see in time. Failing this, i'll get a dual-wan router to do all the work for me.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.