21 replies to this topic

#1 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:56 AM

.::Mistian, the Nightmist language::.

Mistian is the language of nightmist created by Ste J Edwards. The language is based upon the welsh pronounciation in English structure. This makes the language alot more easier to understand and learn, as all other languages have a different structure to the English language, like french for example.

We will start off our first lesson by getting to know how to pronounce the letters in the Mistian language.
If you know the welsh language well, you will be able to get this quite easily. Unlike welsh itself, Mistian uses symbols that are often seen in the french language to tell you how they are pronounced, this makes learning the language more easy.

Like welsh, the spelling is much more 'phonetic' (or, to be more accurate, phonemic) than english or french. There is a closer correspondence between symbol and sound. Each consonant has one sound only. Ff and ph obviously have the same sound.

VOWEL SOUNDS

Mistian vowel sounds are 'pure' sounds, similar to those found in spanish and italian. The long vowel sounds must not be diphtongised as in english. For example, To (long o) is pronounced as to(h), not as tow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

á - long, as in 'father', or 'Part'

a - short, as in 'Jack', or 'Cap'

é - long, as in 'pale', or 'fail' (Pronounced 'ay', not 'ee')

e - short, as in 'pen', or 'head'

í - long, as in 'machine', or 'meal' (pronounced as 'ee' not 'aye')

i - short, as in 'pin', or 'dim'

ó - long, as in 'chorus', or 'more', and sometimes as 'wrong'.

o - short, as in 'pop', or 'hot' (a gutteral sound)

ú - long, as in 'meal' (same as í)

u - short, as in 'pin' (same as i) U in Mistian is never pronounced as 'uh', but always as 'ee' or 'ih' (as in pin)

w - a long vowel sound as in 'fool'. in Mistian, "ffwl". (usually has an accent above)

w - short, as in english 'took', or 'book'

y - This symbol represents two sounds:

(1a) A long vowel similar to í 'ee', which is only used at the end of words, like for example 'hynny' (pron. Honey)
the first y represents an 'uh' sound, while the last y represents the 'ee' sound.

(1b) A short sound similar to i in 'bin'. This letter usually has an accent above it, to make it easier.

y - (2) This sound is similar to U, as in 'up', or 'shut', like in hynny (pron. Honey).

CONSONANTS

b - As in english

c - Always the hard sound of C in 'cap', never as in 'ace". Therefore the Mistian alphabet dispenses with K.

ch - As in german Bach, scottish Loch, never as in 'church'. Two consecutive ch's are sounded as one.

d - As in english; Dim.

dd - Used to represent the softer th sound as in english 'Breathe', or 'the', and 'though', never as in 'thing', or 'thought'

f - Always as in english 'of'. There is no V in the Mistian alphabet.

ff - As in english 'off', or 'film'.

g - Always as in 'get', or 'garden'. Never as in 'George'.

ng - As in english 'sing', but never as in 'angel', or 'danger'

h - As in english

j - As in english

l - As in english

m - As in english

n - As in english

p - As in english

ph - As in english (Similar to ff)

r - As in english

s - Always as in 'sit', never as in 'nose'.

si - Pronounced as 'sh' in 'english', or 'shop'.

th - Always as in english 'thing', or 'thought' never as in 'the', or 'though'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 2 OF MISTIAN PRONOUNCIATION WILL BE POSTED LATER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Fingolfin, 16 May 2004 - 12:57 AM.

#2 Consumed

Consumed

o0o-Alias ig

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:17 AM

sweet :)
-Alias ingame-

#3 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:24 AM

since i am inventing this language, i now state that 'Pwn' is officially Mistian for 'Own'. (Pron. Poon). :)

however, you cannot say 'pwned', it must be 'pwnd', as there is no need for such unnecessary vowels. :)

Also, i will be inventing my own words, Mistian isn't just a language where we turn english words into other 'forms', like for example, turning the word 'Nightmist' into Naetmyst (as 'Ae', and 'Ai' are pronounced as 'Aye').

Edited by Fingolfin, 16 May 2004 - 01:29 AM.

#4 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:39 AM

Sweet awesome.
Posted Image

#5 Omniscient

Omniscient
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:06 AM

since i am inventing this language, i now state that 'Pwn' is officially Mistian for 'Own'. (Pron. Poon). :)

however, you cannot say 'pwned', it must be 'pwnd', as there is no need for such unnecessary vowels. :)

Also, i will be inventing my own words, Mistian isn't just a language where we turn english words into other 'forms', like for example, turning the word 'Nightmist' into Naetmyst (as 'Ae', and 'Ai' are pronounced as 'Aye').

Everyone knows that the correct version of the past tense of pwn is pwnt.

#6 Darkling

Darkling
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:18 AM

Awwie lol thats so cute :)
Leave the sig alone you rabid monkey

#7 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:12 PM

since i am inventing this language, i now state that 'Pwn' is officially Mistian for 'Own'.  (Pron. Poon).  :)

however, you cannot say 'pwned', it must be 'pwnd', as there is no need for such unnecessary vowels.  ;)

Everyone knows that the correct version of the past tense of pwn is pwnt.

yeah but not in mistian :)

I will be writing part 2 today. :)

#8 Lich

Lich
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:45 PM

I understand you are righting this and what is up is cool as Shyte, But omni is right that is how 90percent of Nightmistians talk. why not keep it how we are...lol
You dont want to be accused of being like the american shcool system who when you open an english book an englishmen can even read it... and half the time will be like WTF!!!!!!!

Edited by Lich, 16 May 2004 - 01:46 PM.

Grave digger when you dig my grave, make it shallow so I can feel the rain.

#9 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

these so called "Nightmistians" can talk english, welsh, german, dutch, french, 'american' or whatever else they want. I'm inventing my own language SPECIFICALLY for nightmist, to encourage some hardcore roleplay. People who even bother to follow my lessons and learn the language will be able to communicate with other people who can speak Mistian, and it will be fun. Just imagine, a game with it's own language, i don't believe i've ever seen it before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LESSON 1, PART 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIPHTHONGS

The chief vowel comes first, but both are pronounced in quick succession.

ae, ai - As in english 'aye', e.g. bai (meaning 'Bye'); maen (pron. 'main')

aw - A combination of short 'ah' and short 'oo'.

ei, eu - These represent two sounds.

a. When they are on their own they are usually pronounced as 'ee]

b. When they are part of a word, they are pronounced 'aye', e.g. tei (pron. 'tie').

iw, uw, yw - As english 'ew' in 'dew'. Duw ('dew'), byw; i'w.

oi, oe - Like the oi in 'oil'. Oes ('oiss'); oedd; troi.

ow - As in Owen. Trowch, (rhymes with 'smoke').

- (remember, the ŷ represents an 'ee' sound). This represents a short oo sound followed by a short ee sound. Pwŷ is pronounced by adding 'Pooh' and ŷ (as in 'yet') - 'pooh-y'.

The accent (or circumflex) above some of the letters mean that it is a LONG sound. Once you get used to the words in the Mistian language, there will be no need to use them in chat, but they are there for the learners purpose.

Edited by Fingolfin, 16 May 2004 - 10:19 PM.

#10 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:29 PM

i kinda had to edit that post alot. it's really hard inventing a language, even if it's based off another, so please bear with me, as i have to change alot of things round.

in the mean time, try and translate this sentance. I haven't invented any new words yet, but this is plain english, with the Mistian pronounciation....

welcwm tw naetmyst, péj Whitness yn gém ffór enŷ help

#11 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:37 PM

Could you use more examples for the sounds of letters? And maybe some more examples of it being used in actual sentences? I'm trying to follow along but sometimes it's hard. ^^;;
Posted Image

#12 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:41 PM

well, i haven't really invented any words for Mistian yet, but if you want, i can use some welsh words, seeing as they use the same pronounciation.

#13 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:19 PM

So will we be getting isgól (ysgol) for school and áraph (araf) for slow? I was going to put up Pistyll as well (waterfall), but what do we do with "st" or even just "t"?

P.S. I'm Half-Welsh.

Edited by Crane, 16 May 2004 - 11:20 PM.

The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#14 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:25 PM

As a thought... this language will probably not be spoken by the majority of players, but could be the official language of the scholars and the archived books that they write of Nightmist.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#15 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:27 PM

"st" is still the same, and there will be no welsh words in the Mistian language, and "t" is also the same.

#16 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:29 PM

As a thought... this language will probably not be spoken by the majority of players, but could be the official language of the scholars and the archived books that they write of Nightmist.

Well, for those of you who learn to speak Mistian, you will be able to talk amongst yourselvs secretly :)

#17 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:34 PM

Ustmay earnlay to eakspay istianmay!

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#18 sephiroth42420

sephiroth42420
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:29 AM

I have been inspired by you.

I will now create my own language.

FOR THE GNOMES!

#19 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:58 PM

lol, this died ages ago, i got too much on my hands at the moment to write anymore on the language.

However, if i do ever choose to continue, i will start from scratch and invent my own pronounciation, as using the welsh-based one becomes complicated as it tied in with other things used in the language.

#20 Marko_Polo

Marko_Polo
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

That new language thing is a good idear...

#21 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:32 PM

way to bump up an old topic ^^
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#22 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:18 AM

:P

I may continue to work on a language when i have the time. perhaps coming up with something completely original and advanced, but easy to learn none the less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users