A Very Pretty Toggle...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5240 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:37 AM

Alright, I am suggesting this a second time; it's been about two years.

I think 5 mins of inactivity afk should be toggle-able.
I don't get why this isn't an option; it gives me hassle pretty often, and I know it does the same to others, especially while in parites with friends.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#2 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

Agreed, it lags my pc up waaaaay to much.
Si Senior!

#3 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

agreed
Pulsar, Gremlin or Old_Dog in game. (multi alt only)

#4 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

perhaps even make it IP sensitve rather then character, so if your running with a party of crits, you as a player are not inactive - the fact you havnt had to use your druid for 5mins dosnt mean that it becoms inactive. Dunno just a different way of tacking it if the toggle is rejected. im for either really.
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#5 Horny

Horny
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:22 PM

supported!!!
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

#6 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

supported
Page/Memo Beatrix

#7 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5240 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

The toggle would remain on after crits logged off like other toggles.
That's why it was suggested per crit- Since that would allow people to pick crits not to go inactive rather than forcing them to only do it completely or not at all.

As I understand it---crits would still log due to inactivity. It would simply get rid of the afk message for those of us who would like it not to lag up our parties.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#8 Scripto

Scripto

~teh Scripto

• Game Staff
  • 1628 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:37 PM

Supported.
For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.

Ingame:
Scripto (Staff)
Kannabis (Mortal)

#9 shomer

shomer
  • Members
  • 1104 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:32 PM

i like it
Page me on Heritage

#10 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:22 AM

i don't accept the defense "it would lag us out", it's 1 line of text...
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#11 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:48 AM

agreed.... but the inactivity thingy needs changin....
nowt worse than gatherin all your alts up to go to chronos, takin them fast through first part of jungles then gettin ready to fight out second bit (after town, with traps) then watching in horror as 8 alts 'log off due to inactivity' just as you are about to attack with them (yes that has happened to me......) and the remainder get chewed up pretty bad by anacondas......

Edited by joanna, 20 November 2005 - 02:49 AM.

#12 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5240 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:52 AM

It's also a picture change on every crit you've got logged on..basically at once.
(and it changes each of them in every box, and you have to change each of the pictures back, and it's just really something that I think most people would like to be able to toggle.)

#13 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:14 AM

and it's just really something that I think most people would like to be able to toggle.

-nod-

#14 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:33 AM

Problem is, some people leave their crits logged in all day and night which is why it was introduced in the first place . . .!
If you build it, they will come.

#15 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:04 AM

Problem is, some people leave their crits logged in all day and night which is why it was introduced in the first place . . .!

Hense why Gaddy said the Toggle would only prevent the picture change. It wouldn't change anything else.

As I understand it---crits would still log due to inactivity.  It would simply get rid of the afk message for those of us who would like it not to lag up our parties.

Edited by alone, 20 November 2005 - 11:05 AM.

"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#16 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

guess it won't happen cuz both head game stuff don't like the idea, even tho 99% of people would like it and the changing of pics does create lag much more so than the simple line of text that appears.. also if people were to leave there stuff logged on all day and night would they not die from hunger and thirst over and over ? (this was not a problem once hunger and thirst done only 1 damage it is no longer the case) *shrugs*

#17 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

Also, just to note the recent addition of the 1hour inactive kick makes it inpossible to leave on all day and night any way.. perhaps extent it to 10/15mins at the very least?
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#18 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:37 PM

I know many people (rob is first one who comes to mind but there is others) who lag out for about 2 minutes when a square of crits go afk so this would be very nice

Edited by Rappy_Ninja, 20 November 2005 - 02:39 PM.

Page/Memo Beatrix

#19 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

very annoying when this happens...

Supported
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#20 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:05 PM

I know many people (rob is first one who comes to mind but there is others) who lag out for about 2 minutes when a square of crits go afk so this would be very nice

yes i have same trouble if i have over 10 alts logged on and they go inactive i'll basically get white screen for a minute or two, snoopy's idea of it being 15 minute or longer is another good option, it generally happens when running between areas anyway.. e.i. Joanna's post mentioning going afk as u move onto a square full of monsters the lag from it is sure to have most of your party dead

Edited by Perfection, 20 November 2005 - 04:05 PM.

#21 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

Also, just to note the recent addition of the 1hour inactive kick makes it inpossible to leave on all day and night any way.. perhaps extent it to 10/15mins at the very least?

Pandilex misunderstood the Toggle, I believe he thought it'd totally null the effects of the inactivity code, which it won't.

As I haven't given an opinion yet, I see nothing against this Toggle, other than it kind of promotes the use of alts.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#22 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:35 PM

other than it kind of promotes the use of alts.

that happened a long time ago eg. the numerous healing bosses.. blame jurian for alt abuse he started it :(

#23 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:55 PM

I support the idea. I go to desert a lot now a days and fighting off the granites don't take the use of all my alts, but when I do get to a square that does require the use of all my alts, the changing the pictures back to normal from afk does lag me quite a bit.

Btw, I always thought it was rather pointless and stupid to have alts logged on all day and night anyways. Really no reason for it. Especially for those that get easily annoyed trying to contact someone who isn't really at their computer like gnarkill was with shaginator or annoyance.. I can't remember which one was having the post war.... Wait a minute.. no one can pick a post war with gnarkill but me dag nabbit!

#24 fallen

fallen
  • Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

show the <3

Supported
we will pass judgement on the day of your doom

#25 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

I am completely against this and other suggestions that provide a conveinence to heavy alt users.
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#26 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:58 PM

unfortunatly new additions to the game require alts..
try getting even half of the way through the new area without 10+ alts.. normally 16+

#27 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

That why we have the 1 hour activity logging out thing then :( I agree with Lew's suggestion about IP sensitivity, that would be pretty cool.
Disaster ingame.

#28 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:55 AM

I am completely against this and other suggestions that provide a conveinence to heavy alt users.

you built the Harabec Dungeons didn't you? unless i'm mistaken that area promote heavy alt use .. i can't do it on any less that 8 i've tryed several times.. even with 8 it is extreamly difficult *shrugs*

#29 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:58 AM

unfortunatly new additions to the game require alts..
try getting even half of the way through the new area without 10+ alts.. normally 16+

agreed Tirantek area requires at least 10, i've tryed smaller partys here also and it's basically imposible.. 10 or 12 is minimum requirement for that area, 10 or 12 archmaster that is

#30 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:51 AM

you built the Harabec Dungeons didn't you? unless i'm mistaken that area promote heavy alt use .. i can't do it on any less that 8 i've tryed several times.. even with 8 it is extreamly difficult *shrugs*

...Not to step on any toes here but I believe it was supposed to promote team-play. /invite is not just for your alts - I kid you not.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users