Appropriateness

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Egbert

Egbert
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:02 AM

Nightmist is supposed to be a game suitable for all ages, right? Well, there are TOO MANY bad words floating around, too many innapropriate conversation subjects, and even character names. And there are ESPECIALLY obscene profiles.

I HATE this stuff, and I shouldn't have to see it. I don't mean to be a whiner, but it must stop! Please staff... start enforcing these rules.

#2 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:06 AM

I support you 100%, but staff cannot look over every profile of every crit in the database because there are simply far too many. As for making an automated search for inappropriate words, people just use fancy symbols and extra spaces and full stops to disguise the swear words to all except the human eye.

The only thing that can be done really is to report to a staff member if you come across something inappropriate.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#3 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:10 AM

I would tell you to deal with it.. But for once, someone's complaining about something that isn't actually right.

I'm with ya, but it isn't an easy task for staff members to complete.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#4 Egbert

Egbert
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:37 AM

Staff could allow players to report bad profiles more effieciently, maybe /profile report so-and-so, maybe?

Edited by Egbert, 21 November 2004 - 02:38 AM.

#5 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:39 AM

You can. Best bet would be to either memo JLH the characters name, and a very brief explanation of the problem. Or to e-mail him, again, keeping it very brief.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#6 Bishop

Bishop
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:08 AM

Staff could take a more offensive approach; I used to view the profile of anyone that caught my attention (be it breaking rules or just yelling or asking questions), the first thing I'd do would be to view their profile information. Then when I addressed them I simply suggested they change anything that was inappropriate, and if it wasn't changed by the time I was done assisting them, they got more drastic encouragement. :P

Edited by Bishop, 21 November 2004 - 05:08 AM.

#7 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:19 AM

I agree with you to a degree.. Can't help but feel should wipe away a few tears and just not associate with people who offend you so much.

Not everyone would agree that what you think is inappropriate is, in fact I get offended by people trying to restrict things that I say when where I'm from it's common not offensive slang.

To control what people can say based on a totally different culture and point of view is a little Nazi like to me but there are certain levels of just mooseing arse nuts ##### potato behavior that does need a little control.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#8 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:26 AM

i think it's bs i still hear 6-8 years old in my street call the other one mothermooseer but this game has to be swear free. it's bs.

edit: wrote here intead of hear :S

Edited by jurian, 21 November 2004 - 11:40 AM.

Even in death my hate will go on

#9 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:30 AM

i think it's bs i still here 6-8 years old in my street call the other one mothermooseer but this game has to be swear free. it's bs.

Give them a street dayban?

#10 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:39 AM

You can memo or email me profile reports and I can have them dealt with. Bad language in game requires a member of staff to be available to log on and deal with it. Yelling is a good first step but I don't mind people adding me to msn/aim so they can report people on the spot to me when I'm available. (All contact info is on my in-game profile as well as the little buttons below).

#11 Egbert

Egbert
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

Thank you for the advice guys... bad language and yelling is usually no problem, it's the profiles. I'll be more active in preventing it, and I hope you all will too!

#12 Deathwish

Deathwish
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

Someone cry us a river?
Out, out brief candle. Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour on the stage and then is heard no more.

#13 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:23 PM

Someone cry us a river?

i'll give justin timberlake a call :P

#14 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:46 PM

Nightmist is supposed to be a game suitable for all ages, right? Well, there are TOO MANY bad words floating around, too many innapropriate conversation subjects, and even character names. And there are ESPECIALLY obscene profiles.

I HATE this stuff, and I shouldn't have to see it. I don't mean to be a whiner, but it must stop! Please staff... start enforcing these rules.

Thats total bullnuts, they are enforced enough and like jurian said, your 8 year old isnt normal if he/she doesnt know a bad word or two.
If you dont want your kids to get any "bad influences(sp?)" dont let them play a game where they could possibly encounter real people, better to lock them in your basement just to be sure.

#15 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:42 AM

I only knew one swear word at age 8 and that was from a film, and because people around me do not swear, I learnt not to swear myself. Honestly, why do it? There is always an alternative word.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#16 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:22 AM

Here's my view. If it's in..
Open Chat-Imediate report to staff, if none online, leave a memo.
Clan Chat- /clan disband
Friend chat- /friend [player]
Page-Imediate Report to staff, if none online, leave a memo.
Yelling- If it does not stop, memo a staff, if it does stop, a staff has already taken care of it.
Profile- Ask em to remove it, if not, tell or memo a staff.
Memo- Memo a staff, I dislike offending memo's, cause a players doesn't have the balls to tell me when I'm on.

Thank you, and goodnight ^_^

Edit: Forgot the last 2 :P

Edited by Ryuku, 22 November 2004 - 08:26 AM.

#17 Wafer

Wafer
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:13 AM

Cursing and swearing is a fecking intergral part of Irish culture, in fact I think its a bloody visa requirement.

We use cursing to feckin indicate to other inebriated irishmen and women the level of our sobriety and to ban it could compromise our ability to bloody find mates effectively, I view it as a form of gawddamn genocide!

:P

#18 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:23 AM

Lmao Wafer

#19 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:13 AM

yeah i think this game is full of hypocrit morons you guys should come live in holland once. swearing on tv, radio everywhere because we don't take swearing that serious since they are just words.

(Rhymes with "bankers" and starts with "w" I consider a swear word; keep it to yourself please, for in the UK, swear words are offensive - Crane)

Edited by Crane, 22 November 2004 - 01:17 PM.

#20 Chewbob

Chewbob
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:13 PM

I live in the UK and don't find swearing offensive.
Although I do agree that it shouldn't really be allowed.

#21 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:00 PM

Likewise I'm afraid.
I'd be the first to admit that some of the language in game is a little out of hand... but I rarely see swearing in general chat anyway. The only issues in my eyes are names and profiles.
But as Chewbob says, the majority of swearwords I don't find that offensive. I dislike swearing sure, but I'm not offended by it.

You know what? If the word you editted were considered particularly offensive, it'd be filtered out... And if it were, you wouldn't have been 'allowed' to allude to the word you editted, nor have felt the need to.
The way you've left it you might as well have left his post alone seeing as how each and every one of us is (I'm certain) capable of replacing the 'b' in bankers with the mentioned 'w' to get wankers. I don't even consider wankers a particularly offensive word.

There are plenty of other places and plenty of worse examples if you care to look. If you want to combat swearing, logical though it may have seemed, this thread wasn't the place to start

Especially when there seems to be some sort of double standard and you left Wafer's post alone.
(No offense to Wafer, because I I actually quite liked that post, and laughed when I read it... I was just using it as an example... deleting 'wankers' when 'fecking' was left alone...
No offense to Crane or any other editty staff either... I was just having an opinion. Unfortunately I actually pressed 'submit' after writing this one out :P)

Edited by Charon, 22 November 2004 - 06:07 PM.

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#22 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:45 PM

who invented swear words anyway? and who said they were bad?

btw, doesnt the bible say swearing is bad? how the fock does he know what a swear word is in english? or russian? or japanese? or whatever language? he spoke hebrew? ;p
BeEp!

#23 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:11 PM

Not necessarily swear words, but certain words we say out of habit as interjections the Bible considers blastphemy.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#24 Chewbob

Chewbob
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, it's pointless editing out wankers if you're just gonna tell people what it is in the edit.

#25 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:35 PM

Then I suppose that when I get a bad deal, I can yell out "That user just jewed me!" because it doesn't offend some people.

Or I can say that I was just "gyped" in a trade.

Or maybe someone jumped me from behind; can I say I was Japped?

Just because you don't find it offensive doesn't mean there isn't a minority who does.

...Or we can totally ignore the minorities. Whatever. :P
Posted Image

#26 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:52 PM

(Rhymes with "bankers" and starts with "w" I consider a swear word; keep it to yourself please, for in the UK, swear words are offensive - Crane)

Descriping a word like that is just as bad as saying it, I'm sure.

#27 MessiahX

MessiahX
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:20 PM

I completly disagree with the profiles issue. If you don't like their profile then don't look at it. It's THEIR profile to put what THEY think is appropriate. If they're on your friend list and they cuss alot and this offends you then /friend (name). Clan chat? warn them to stop, tell a founder and #off problem solved. General chat is the only thing I really think cussing should be discouraged in. Just an opinion...but yeah...go irish people.

#28 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:21 PM

I completly disagree with the profiles issue.  If you don't like their profile then don't look at it.  It's THEIR profile to put what THEY think is appropriate.

And just as you completely disagree with me/us over the profiles issue... I completely disagree with you over the profiles issue :unsure:

Using /who <player> shouldn't be something you do at risk to your own morals... /who should be way to gain information about a character or a player.

Many people do use their profiles properly, to state their name, their contact details and whatever...

But the fact is that some people put things in their profile that they know are not appropriate. Perhaps because they personally weren't offended or found it amusing... perhaps because they want to shock whoever /who's them next.

The fact is that if I were to fill my profile with an explicit cyber encounter people would have every right to be shocked or disgusted (or intrigued? ^^) upon reading it. They didn't know that by doing an innocent /who on one of my characters they would be confronted with that.
It is, as it has been said often, an all ages game. Its pretty much taken for granted that explicit sexual content wouldn't be suitable for all ages.

Or if, as in Squee's point, I wrote a (very) mini essay on why I hated a minority in there... people shouldn't have to be confronted by my prejudices and hatreds.

And likewise if I were to fill my profile with string upon string of swearwords... the same is true-
Sure kids tend to know some swear words... that doesn't mean that more should be forced down their throats. Just because most kids swear... there are always the few who don't. And there are always the few who will be offended.
For the sake of those few... they shouldn't have to risk it.

However thats not my point here.
You want to know what my main point here is?
Noone would know that my profile was inappropriate until they looked it up.

The poor so and so might only have wanted to see if I'd put my email addy on there so they could contact me
They might have heard a friend going "Hey, lets kill the annoying Pally" and done a /who to find out my level/clan to see if they could go and help.
They might have received one of my annoying "Wouldn't you rather be our clan ally or clan neutral than our clan enemy" posts, and do a who to find out who I am.
Someone I've been rping with might think "hmm, a profile, wonder if she wrote anything about her character in it" (just to note, generally I haven't)
Someone might have wanted to see if a character was me or not, and done a /who to see if "Charon" was listed under the name...
All of those people would be confronted by whatever I put in my profile.

By whatever I put in there
Not just the appropriate content... but the inappropriate content too.
Not just by the good... but by the stuff they might feel offended by.

And as before, my main point: hey have no choice over deciding to look at an inappropriate profile. Noone does until they know which ones are inappropriate.
Therefore...

You wouldn't know that you wouldn't like someones profile, so you wouldn't know not to look at it.

Edited by Charon, 23 November 2004 - 06:23 PM.

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#29 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

How is swearing offensive??

#30 Bishop

Bishop
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

keep in mind also that the profiles are viewable via the Nightmist homepage; not only that, but this forum, which leads to the NM homepage, are in the google search database. Meaning that new players exploring new game opportunities could very well have thier first encouter with NM include a profile with words such as motherphucker & nigga (didn't take me long to find).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users