The Xbox 360 Challenge!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

Recently a friend at home told me his xbox 360 he had only had a month had died. I looked up the problem on the net, and found out the '3 red lights' was extemely common, fatal, and required sending back to MS for repair.

Is this a common thing nowadays? That consoles arnt designed to last? Xboxes are supposed to be so tough you can drive over them and they still work, yet their internals are so cheaply made they are 'expected' to die?

Most original Playstations ive seen still working only do so upside down. Original Xboxes you never see in 2nd hand shops, simply because they dont last long enough (unlike PS2's which are very common, but the DVD drives on them often die). Wiis will not last the test of time, not because of design but due to the way they are played.

So heres the challenge. You have to make a 360 last 25 years. Proving nightmist is still around then, in 25 years youtube me a 360 starting up and playing a game, with the reciept showing the purchase date next to the tv screen. First person to do that earns either 10 nightshades main or 2 nightshades nm1a.

Why 25 years? Well on my bday 25 years ago i got one of them Atari 2600 consoles. The other day i tried firing it up to see if it still worked - which it did! The only glitch was it was stuck in B+W for the first 30 mins while it warmed up, probably due to the age of the capacitors.

#2 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

why did i read this? give me back the 3 minutes i wasted on reading this please.
Even in death my hate will go on

#3 plugwash

plugwash
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

Afaict consoles in general got less reliable with the move from cartridges to optical media. Optical media drives (whether in PCs, av equipment or games consoles) have a lot of precision moving parts and in my experiance are not very reliable.

Microsofts consoles seem to be even worse though, probablly because of microsofts relative inexperiance in the games console market.

#4 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

Buy one from Currys and take out the monthly product support and your good to go. Come see me at work to arrange this :ph34r:

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#5 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:43 AM

Buy one from Currys and take out the monthly product support and your good to go. Come see me at work to arrange this :ph34r:

Currys product support usually is for 3 years max for a games console. MS will give repairs for 7 years from the introduction of the produckt, so you have 5/6 years free red lights of death repair however old your console is.

Neither of these will help you 25 years down the line ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users