• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tommb

tommb
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

1 thing needed.... fix the roller...
lol its rediculous how much time u need to spend on the thing to get an even playable crit... which tbh destroyes the temptation of any person wanting to try the game even just for an evening, the game is just anti new players the only reason new people join is because people they know who play give them a chrit or 2 to try out in the game, and tbh having more 4+stat players wont affect the gameplay at all because those are the only crits people use any ways appart from the first crit u ever rolled but got to 30 cause it was ur first ect... so if u want more players make the game more welcoming because tbh as a game thats been running all these years its a bit of a joke that it only really has a max of less than 40 players at its Busyiest! and tbh thats all the fault of the roller in my oppinion

also another thing a mates been cmoplaining to me about the nightshade elixir and its overpowerednes esspeciallyon 1 alt where a theif can instnatly kill entire clan parties so the easiest way to fix it in my oppinion with out reducing its value drasticaly especialy as every one farms them for free any ways.... is leave them exactly the same just scrap the instant stam regen... there simple problem solved

just to summ this up feel free to flame w/e for my comments and my spelling as i cba too little to check it, and i dont really care what u have to say, also i will probs never read this post cause i cba to play the game due to pretty much being impossible to get crits worth while useing without spending hours pressing the fkng space bar..
so there u go just me commenting on some pretty basic but seriouse issue imo
peace ppl and enjoy wasting time reading this cause its not gonna change nothing if u think about all the good ideas just laying around in this forum due to lazy admin
x

#2 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

You can't really just let everyone have a 4 stat crit at this stage in the game though is the problem on 1a atleast.

Solution: Make it so that people who are new can get a 3 stat crit with not terrible, but not 1 off perfect in the non-essential stats;

i.e.

A new player selects a dwarf fighter but doesn't want to roll so he clicks the option for something like "Basic set stats" upon which he gets the stats:

21 16 18 21 16 15, this won't affect his experience of the game whilst not flooding the game with higher end character stats.

A Halfling cleric

16 17 21 18 18 17 - You'll notice here while charisma is required I have not classed it as an essential stat as it won't make a massive difference

An Elf mage

16 21 19 18 20 19 - You'll notice here that with mages they essentially do have 4 essential stats so the one they require least is dex, by taking one point from it they are unlikely to see a massive difference.
Si Senior!

#3 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'm wary of that suggestion; reason being is that Crane on multi-alt is 19 16 19 19 18 18, which is worse than your 3-stat suggestion, and yet he performs wonderfully, even if he is one-off on Wisdom and Charisma.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#4 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

i bought a bunch of 4stats to give out to clannies once and all the characters were deleted because the guy that i bought em from used an autoroller..which leads me to the point.. if autorollers are possible the roller is even lamer than meets the eye...
Apocalypto

#5 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

I'm wary of that suggestion; reason being is that Crane on multi-alt is 19 16 19 19 18 18, which is worse than your 3-stat suggestion, and yet he performs wonderfully, even if he is one-off on Wisdom and Charisma.

Paladins would be one of those that would be

19 17 18 19 19 17
Si Senior!

#6 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:20 PM

Thing is... what counts as essential and non-essential stats?

For Paladins, essential stats in my opinion are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution and Wisdom. You can get away with being one-off on Strength and Wisdom though, and high Charisma does help.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#7 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

16 21 19 18 20 19 - You'll notice here that with mages they essentially do have 4 essential stats so the one they require least is dex, by taking one point from it they are unlikely to see a massive difference.

accuracy fail

also

1 thing needed.... fix the roller...

that's it? really?

suggestion fail

edit. i know, why don't we clear up the forums because ppl make suggestions and they get shot down by ppl who don't even play the gd game any more

edit 2. but who still know more about stats than ryan <3

Edited by Raylen, 06 July 2009 - 12:06 AM.

+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#8 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

1. Make the 4 primary stats perfect, and only roll the other 2 (either int + char or str + char).
2. Give people a specific amounts of points to divide, and then create bosses for lvl 30+ that could drop a stat-enhancers. An item that would give them the right to up a stat with 1 in a non-perf stat.
3. Make the gap closer, instead of 10 to 21 it would be 14 to 21 for instance.
4. …
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#9 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

1. Pacifists would be Str + Int... - but I don't support this proposal of the four primary stats being perfect.

There was a quest once where the prize for getting the kill-shot was a permanent stat boost to a non-perfect stat; would be nice to have one of those again. Question is, what would happen if the crit who got the kill-shot was a six-stat?

I would support proposal number 3... closing the gap. I'd go for a range of 10 (e.g. 12 to 21), as then you have a 1,000,000 to 1 chance of rolling a 6-stat, which is a nice round statistic. In this instance, the chances of rolling ANY kind of 4-stat would be approximately 823 to 1, if my knowledge of the Binomial Distribution serves me correctly.

At the current range of 12, the chances of rolling ANY kind of 4-stat are approximately 1,645 to 1 (which is virtually half the chance of rolling the same with a range of 10), while rolling a 6-stat is 2,985,984 to 1. Chances of rolling a 0-stat are about 1.68 to 1 - in this case it's better to express as a percentage... around 59%.

ADDENDUM: If this change took place, what would happen to crits that had stats rolled outside of the new range? For example, Europa has 7 strength out of a possible maximum of 18 - the new range would only take it as far down as 9.

Edited by Crane, 06 July 2009 - 01:10 AM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#10 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

Main wouldn't be influenced (well, in my idea anyways, but i know John can't separate the two). I'd still like the idae of dividing an amount of stats. Perf crits just shouldn't hand in an item that would gain them a stat on a non-perf stat, as they don't have any.

I don't see how this will affect older chars, as they could still obtain the drop. And to come back to another issue, like quest items, current staff don't believe in adding new quest items that make the old ones obsolete or simply multiply the old ones. I don't see a problem in it, else ppl could complain about anything that came after the broad sword as at one time that would have been the best weapon available. You could either sell it, or guess that it won't be replaced that fast, either way it is a quest item, you are entitled to nothing else but the quest item. If in time a new item came that was simliar or better, then tough luck, if you want it, quest again. I have a big disliking for old money.
Angelus ingame.

#11 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

I think the roller is the major barrier for first-time players. I'd love to see it removed.

If it comes at the expense of some old characters having slightly lower stats and billions more experience than new players, I don't care. Give the new rolls some tiny advantage.

I'd support giving all new players a 4-stat character. Simply allow them to choose a race, a class, and which 4 stats they want maximized and get on with it.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#12 Master1988

Master1988
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

u dont need nowhere near perfect stats check this out for my first ever crit

Danny_The_Pacifist's stats are:
Race/Class: Male Half-Elf Archmaster Protector. Str: 9, Int: 20, Dex: 10, Con: 19, Wis: 13, Chr: 20, Lev: 30, Exp: 391,617,446, HP: 306, MP: 225, Stm: 5.
Spells: Cleanse, Recall, Create Food, Create Water, Soothe, Salve, Depurate Undead, Subdue, Lesser Pact, Greater Pact, Shield Self, Justice Zone.
This character has been a level 30 Pacifist, with 306 HP, and 225 MP.

and it hardly misses i will be willing to show anyone who diesnt belive

Edited by Master1988, 06 July 2009 - 11:43 AM.

FåT Ðåññ¥/Danny_The_Pacifist x

#13 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

u dont need nowhere near perfect stats check this out for my first ever crit

Danny_The_Pacifist's stats are:
Race/Class: Male Half-Elf Archmaster Protector. Str: 9, Int: 20, Dex: 10, Con: 19, Wis: 13, Chr: 20, Lev: 30, Exp: 391,617,446, HP: 306, MP: 225, Stm: 5.
Spells: Cleanse, Recall, Create Food, Create Water, Soothe, Salve, Depurate Undead, Subdue, Lesser Pact, Greater Pact, Shield Self, Justice Zone.
This character has been a level 30 Pacifist, with 306 HP, and 225 MP.

and it hardly misses i will be willing to show anyone who diesnt belive

Erm..paci's use spells. Wisdom affects if they hit or not, not dex.

But that doesn't matter, if I see a roller on a game I always roll till I get good stats. If that doesn't work and I still play, I have a lot less motivation to actually continue as I already start off with something semi-crap.
Angelus ingame.

#14 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

Lol Accuracy fail?

Elf: 18 21 19 18 20 21

16 21 19 18 20 19 - You'll notice here that with mages they essentially do have 4 essential stats

So I then made a suggestion that they are reduced a dex point as well.

Try harder Alan ;p

Edited by Prophet, 06 July 2009 - 06:34 PM.

Si Senior!

#15 Toretto

Toretto
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:13 AM

good stats = semi easier playability..

I will say this. for any one who dosn't know diddly squat about MMORPGS would never survive in NM. those who played other MMORPGS like NM and Diablo, WOW, Furry Online will come into the game and still semi suck because they don't want to waste 3 hours rolling for a decent stats.

So yes the roller is to hard core, and keep a lot of people out of NM from pro's who have owned the crap out of World of Warcraft. I mean I play and I do decent and have traded up several times already since I came back to NM and well, will eventually get to a 5 or 6 stat that I want. witch will take months

Long Story Short Roller Needs To Be Fixed to make the game more accessible to Semi Casual Players, to the Pros

#16 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

I stumbled upon Nightmist not knowing what MMORPG is and just looking for a game to play.

My first crit was 18 15 16 17 9 12 Human Pally and it didn't take away from the game play at all. Not everyone can start out on a perf stat crit. Don't be so picky, play the game.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#17 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

When I started playing, I rolled like a 2-3 stat fighter, killed things for gold and bought better. I worked my way from the ground up, just like most folks.

ANYWAY, I had an idea about how to bring new players to NightMist, but the more and more I thought about it, I didn't want to invest my time/money to bring players in, but if there is anyone who wants to impliment this suggestion, by all means.

We all have comic book stores in our towns, or surrounding. The one around me, there are people who play Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh or whatever it's called on a regular basis. Print up fliers for Night Mist and hand them to the owner and ask him to set them or hand them out to the geeks who do those types of games. I use to go to these comic book stores to help my Alternity Star*Drive (Just like D&D only in futuristic star-ship setting) collection. Had I seen a flier such as the one I suggested, I may have tried to give it a shot.

That is only half the battle. Staff should be hired to look after these 'new players', maybe they themselves amongst other things could push these players into the right direction of wanting to stay.

#18 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:11 AM

I suggest telling new players that they will be paid $10.00/hr of active game time.
However, they have to reach at least 50 days of game time to get the money.

I'll leave the rest of working it out to others, but I wouldn't suggest actually paying them $50*24*10...
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#19 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

Total Game Time: 168 days, 9 hours and 43 minutes.

Nightmist owes me over $40,000! That will pay off my student loan, that's for sure.

Pokémon? Yu-Gi-Oh? Anyone in the area up for playing Magic: the Gathering? (*loves his Twilight Shepherd and Unmake cards*)

Edited by Crane, 16 July 2009 - 01:26 AM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#20 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:21 AM

Heh, I once got a starters deck of Magic: The Gathering for a holiday you guys don't have. Sucked tho, would play with my bro, but not enough cards in one pack to really play. And no one here in the surroundings (people I knew anyways) would play such games. But they were already just cool to look at. Then just recently found the game online, but you still have to buy cards, even if they are digital, very lame. So played some knock off for a while, but it's not the same.

I started off with crap stats as well, back in 2001/2002. But to be fair, that was different. Online games weren't that accessible, and were kinda new to me. The people who now choose Nightmist to play are, as I think anyways, slightly older, looking for nostalgia. And they will want perfection from the start (to be fair, I didn't even know you could hit a 4 stat or even a 6 stat, just thought the total was randomly divided, which you have with other games). Since now you have fully functional 3d RPG's free to play, which lures all the kids anyway. If I had a choice between Nightmist and Maplestory (no clue what it is or if it's lame, but I reckon it looks like candy in a 12 year old's eyes) I probably would have picked maplestory back then.

I also wonder how many old players come back, decide they would give it a go and are frustrated by the roller again,and then decide to not bother. As they are quickly reminded on what they hated about it, the repetitive nature, and never get to the good part about it, the social part.
Angelus ingame.

#21 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Some people enjoy actually having the "Gamble" of rolling and maybe obtaining a good char for themselves through patience. I know I like to sit and roll sometimes when boredom strikes, I have had days where I have gotten 3-4 4 stats in a matter of hours and days where I haven't got a useable 4 stat for a week. The roller has nothing to do with people leaving, thier own laziness does. Sure if someone can't handle the easiest part of the game that just requires a little patience how will they handle the rest of it without whining?

I would like to see characters limited to the account that rolled them though. That would take the easy factor out for people like me who don't mind rolling for some spare gold. I don't think the roller has any impact of people staying at all, I leave that to the playerbase for discouraging new players(pking relentlessly, crap talk at sitting hot spots, not being willing to help a new player).

Bottom line is alot of players have made full accounts out of 3 stats and have done fine. Having a 3 stat vs. a 4 stat won't make such a huge difference that the char is unusable like everyone makes it out to be, unless you are pvping in events or trying to brag up your chars to other players(if you're trying make something to be proud of wouldn't it make sense that it took time and patience to obtain it?).

Edited by Gnarkill, 16 July 2009 - 08:42 PM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#22 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

Trevayne has suggested getting rid of the roller to allow new players to have good stats to start off with. I agree with that.
I think it still stands fairly firmly that I own the most 6 stat characters of anyone in-game. If not, Trevayne is the only one close to having the same.

There would have to be some kind of limit or buffer on how exactly these characters are aquired so players are not basically "rolling" for the last two stats to be perfect. However, giving players good stats isn't an issue. I would also like 4-stat armies of characters of my choice. Is that possible?
I don't lose my crits when new players get good ones as well. I don't support making 6-stats common, but something better should be done...

Point here- Those of us with the characters of best stats don't have a problem with new players getting better odds. That should be a sign that it is at least moderately fair and would benefit the game.

(For clarification---As always, I am only talking about the main server.)

-Gaddy
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#23 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

i honestly dont think the roller is that hard.. if new players get on they just need someone to talk to and they will stick around for at least a little while.. what i would suggest is something kind of like the star on the website for level 35's... Maybe just an asterisk in the /who on the people who are willing to help new players?.. i had plenty of stats like the ones you all are suggesting that i would have given to new players all day long, and im sure there are others willing to help them in other ways..

/toggle noobhelper

Online users: Derlok (Entertainment Farmer), Prototype (Game Staff) (AFK), Aaaaa (*), Advocator, Cheetah, Devotchka, Gaunja, God, Hitokiri (*), Lish, Mindwave, Rupture(*), Spellbound, Sub_Zero, Sublime.

Would show that "Aaaaa" , "Hitokiri" , and "Rupture" are all willing to help new players at the time being.

Anyways, i dont know if this is a good idea or not, but i really dont see changing the roller as a solution to anything.

EDIT:

Newbieplayer Pages You from Viper Street (Nightmist): hey man.. im a noob and need help on how to train this.. ive been using the arena...

/p Newbieplayer i see.. you should probably run into the swamps and hit vines with a machete.. ill get you a chete, then show you can train more "efficiently"...

Newbieplayer Pages You from Viper Street (Nightmist): ah, great.. this game is kind of a pain in the ass to get into at first considering it's 2009 and its a textbased game... but since the players werent dicks and didnt harass me and call me noob and chain pk me i might try it more than one day

---------------- Newbieplayer ----------------
Name: JOhNY
Class: Male Gnome Grandmaster Class II Sorcerer
Clan: Ðårk Å££Ïånçê Founder (Pande=lame)
E-Mail:
Comment: Im not a noob anymore.
AIM Name:You hear that? IM NOT A NOOB ANYMORE.
MSN Name: ^merrrrrr^
Kos List: ----
Monsters Killed: 43453
Players Killed: 1001
Deaths by Players: 222
Total Game Time: 12412485 days, 11241246 hours and 12412449 minutes.
Character Score: 234235
Overall Ranking: 2352/2352352525
Class Ranking: 235/235235235235
Last Logon: 07-19-2010 16:01:18
Staff Comment:

Edited by Apocalypto, 17 July 2009 - 04:32 PM.

Apocalypto

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users