16 replies to this topic

#1 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

ok /random

what does it do? Displays a random number between 1 and 1000 to all players on square

example: Enzyme rolled and got the number 567

what is it for? It gives everyone in a 1-alt party an equal chance to collect a boss drop instead of it being whoever gets the kill as this is unfair for support characters such as cleric who may never get the kill, so everyone in party would roll for the item drop (if they want it of course), highest number would collect item.

#2 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

Supported

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#3 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

Don't really need this to be added to the engine per se. Players can do the same thing via an honour system.

...What? Don't trust the people in your party? Just don't invite them next time. Eventually, nobody will want to form parties with them and they'll never be able to get these items.

In a 1-alt server, I assume that reputation would be pretty important among the playerbase.
Posted Image

#4 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

simply making /pickplayers not mosh-only for players, like it is for staff, would solve this

#5 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

Squee how would an honour system work in this aplication. A group of 20 people get together and kill the Time knight, it drops... how would an honour system work?
You would have to kill it 200 times to get every one in the origanl party a blade? Who gets one first? who has to wait nearly a year for theres?

A simple random would be fairer then the next time you go the hounorable thing to do would be to exlude your self from the random if you already got the drop
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#6 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

I think you misunderstood what I meant (or maybe I'm misunderstanding something).

I think it's better if players, after a boss is done and through, all do a /random. Then the person who actually got the item forks it over to the person that rolled highest.

I don't think it's necessary to create a whole new system to deal with things like this.
Posted Image

#7 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

I think either me or you have misunderstood the original sugggestion -
Jai is suggesting a random based on every one in the party doing the number thing, then the highest person gets given the item by who ever got the drop (currently there is no /random command outside moshes so his idea was the same as yours.)

I personally prefer this system to a simple /pick players as it adds another min of tension as every one /randoms to see who is highest
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#8 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

Also if just made pickplayers available to all it would include everyone in party, when may only be 2-3 ppl rolling for the item?
Ps: to clarify, the idea is nothing more than another /flip coin type command

Edited by Dark, 19 March 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#9 Jimbates

Jimbates
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

Perhaps to avoid the problem with /pickplayers including the entire square (the entire party, some of whom may not want/need the drop) make the command /pickplayers <number>/<character, character, chracter, etc> where the character list after the / is the players to pick from. The number system is good too, thats how it's been done in other games.
Jimbates/Nikita/Fairborn

#10 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

why do i think people will random spam, lol
here's an idea, a party command called random, that will randomly pick a member of the party, thoughts?
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#11 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

jlh - why do i think people will random spam, lol
here's an idea, a party command called random, that will randomly pick a member of the party, thoughts?

Yup that will do the job!

TBH, i never realised /pickplayers chose from players outside the party, i thought it was party only!

to stop spam, make it party leader only

#12 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

I think in the end, Snoopy and I were thinking of the same thing.

I like /random to create a random number much better. It gives you that whole suspense thing. /pickplayer is boring.
Posted Image

#13 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5237 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:56 AM

And with a random number, you could switch it up.
It could be like golf style and lowest number wins.

Along with that, there are other things that a random number might be useful for..
That's just for oddies like me.

I'd like to see something like /random # (which would pick a random number from 1 to #) but it would only show it to the player doing it.
And that would just be if something like the random was put in.
If a simple random was put in, I'd suggest 1-1000 be shown to whole square...otherwise people might put low limits on their numbers to cheat, etc.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#14 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:18 PM

A random command will be needed, however I like the idea of a coin flipping tournament between all who went . . . Would be intense!
Autek in game.

#15 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

/random should be automatically set 1-1000 and if someone does /random it will say Freek just rolled a 567 or whatever to everyone on square. That way you can see who /random's more then once and everyone knows what everyone rolls :)
Freek ingame.

#16 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

You relise thats exactly what i suggested?

#17 Walt

Walt
  • Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

Bumping this because it is relavent to an idea currently being proposed by another player for the main server, as it was very much needed well over 2 years ago for 1alt, and still is needed.

This idea has two different, yet very doable conclusions. One proposed by JLH himself of a /pickplayer party comand, and another sort of a dice roll that can be used in a number of ways. Lowest/highest, or even whoever rolls a "323" first wins the random.
I would ask myself why, but even I do not know everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users