Arbitration - Game Staff "stig" And Player "banishment"

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:28 AM

Due to conflict of interest in dealing with behavior based issues, Stig agreed to allow me to manage this issue - both current and going forward.

I want this to be public so that there is clarity for everyone. This post is to verify the events and accept any feedback, additional information, or context prior to attempting to resolve the issue and determine future management of player concerns and behavior.

Below is my understanding of the on-going situation between Game Staff (Stig) and player (Banishment/Djinn Terra/Azile- using Banishment since we are on the forum). 

1. Stig inappropriately logged onto game client with mortal and staff character at the same time (conflict of interest risks) 
  2. Banishment/Djinn (Banishment) exhibited ill-will bordering on toxicity towards game staff through various in-game comments (tags, profiles, AFK, and contacts)
  3. Stig instructs player to stop and alter these comments
  4. Banishment effectively refuses, instead choosing to hassle and insult Stig (acting in his staff role)
  5. Stig bans player for 3-days
  6. Banishment contacts Stig off-platform (outside of game or forum) to complain and indicates they will use statements and context to imply Stig cheats for his mortal crits (Crane)
  7. Stig interpreted the contact as a threat to attempt to get the player base to turn on staff
  8. Stig posts to forum about making adjustments to game in support of player's complaints about mage class, and includes concern about harassment and threats in post
  9. Banishment posts thread - he is concern about being labelled as "threatening"
  10. Banishment acknowledges ban was deserved, but he takes issue with the label and method of communication (Game Update post, though no names mentioned)
  11. Banishment also shares why he feels Stig/Crane situation seemed to be suspicious (Crane stating concern of being PK'd on boss trip; PK was incoming - seems like risk of abusing staff character Stig to benefit player Crane and his party)
  12. Stig concedes authority to manage situation to Game Advisor (Gaddy) 
  13. Gaddy posts this thread to summarize topics and receive any additional information, feedback, or context  <--- we are here
  14. Gaddy to propose resolution to current issue and manage future interactions with Banishment relative to Game Staff (e.g. - any future complaints, concerns of cheating, harassment, or other non-gameplay input)
    1. Note 1: Unless the situation above is a drastic mischaracterization, both Stig and Banishment may have additional bans or punishment recommended as resolution to the current situation
    2. Note 2: I do not have a staff character to enact in-game punishments. I will rely on Stig to decide if arbitrated decisions are reasonable and to enact them.
    3. Note 3: I do not accept feedback about how to improve or adjust the game outside of the forum. I feel doing so lends to biases without other perspectives or input being enabled.
  15. Stig determines if arbitrated resolution is acceptable and feasible. 
  16. Stig completes the necessary steps for the resolution or posts the altered solution to this topic.
  17. Stig to redirect future behavior based punishments with Banishment to Gaddy (though game, forum, or e-mail) - this may begin with Stig applying a day-ban before Gaddy's input about ban severity.
    1. Note 4: This is not some wild or veiled threat to Banishment. I do not support perm-ban as an approach aside from in cases of theft, real life threats, or extreme cases of hate speech or sexual harassment (e.g. - bypassing /ignorepc and such). This is to stop Banishment from having to route concerns through the individual drawing his concern. It also removes any justification for continuing to chase Stig about these topics, which Stig feels harassed over at this point.
    2. Note 5: I am willing to create new punishments that are unpleasant or severe. (e.g. - staff could have to self-ban, characters could be locked in a location that forces it to sit and die of hunger - even one that does not send to local - effectively causing character, gold, and gear temporary (or long-term) deletion, etc.)
      1. Again, this is not a threat. This is me trying to be clear that continued harassment is unwelcome and will not be cycled with Stig as your focal point.
      2. This is also not a threat to Stig, but continued suspicious behavior or interactions where Crane or other mortal characters seem to have knowledge that they could or should not have can now be reported to a 3rd party. 
      3. Again, Banishment is also welcome to contact me with his concerns about suspicious behavior or situations - which may need to escalate to JLH (I cannot pull game logs); a lot of this relies on Stig being honest about actions and accepting an arbitrated decision unless JLH steps in to fully resolve issues.

Please let me know if there are concerns or significant context or information is missing.

For reporting issues or concerns:

1. Make a post with a summary and supporting details, especially timestamps, in the forum "Comments" section (if you are comfortable documenting publicly)
  2. Send me a forum message with that information if you feel uncomfortable making the claim yourself (I am likely to make a post so that the information exists beyond one forum account inbox)
  3. If both of these feel unfair or unsuitable, contact JLH. It is his game, and you are allowed to contact him when you think things are wrong.

This also goes to the game in general, not just one player or interaction. I am in discussion with Stig about how we may leverage this approach more broadly. Being the only staff member is not fair to him or players when concerns or conflicts arise. It is also a problem how directly many folks (on both servers) have gotten to engage with staff on changes to the game, and we would like to curtail that issue.

Open to feedback and thoughts about that as well.

- Gaddy

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#2 Nerve

Nerve
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:30 AM

— (Stig) and player (Banishment/Djinn - using Banishment since we are on the forum).—

Don’t really care about post, but thought you should know and help to keep it from being confused, Banishment on forum and Djinn in game are 2 different people. Banishment is Craig, Djinn is Ryan or Cody.

#3 «Chão§phê®ê»

«Chão§phê®ê»
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:59 AM

"It is also a problem how directly many folks (on both servers) have gotten to engage with staff on changes to the game, and we would like to curtail that issue."

I disagree with this point. I think the the mod weapon thread was very productive. Also, even in the recent instances where specific items only owned by a small portion of the server were effected in a major way, it led to productive ideas. Albeit not it the most productive way. I think the solution is transparency. Like, had that been something considered for a while? Was it based off of 5 pks by the only player with them? Was it because of an additional item or oversight. It was bad timing to say the least, but it is what it is.

One problem is when all sides of the coin aren't considered before making changes, and that is mainly problematic because certain whisperers might have a motive. And they may be helping thier account or specifically aiming to hurt another. Whereas their idea would get called out on the forum if the idea was over powered or caused a major redundancy/balance issue or whatever thing that might be overlooked.... quick changes to some of the harder items to obtained seem rash when they effect such a small portion of the playerbase, even if coincedental/justified.

Just my two cents on that part. - ares, athena

Edited by «Chão§phê®ê», 10 February 2022 - 05:03 AM.

Ares, Apollo, Asclepius, Athena, Adonis (°±»Còñü§mêЫ­­±°) 

#4 Banishment

Banishment
  • Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:12 AM

I've already considered this over after stigs last post and is why I locked the thread. In my thread I've already said I will remove my tag and delete my profile and stop any interaction with him ingame or out of game.

And to clear up the order of my ban, after being kicked offline for the afk "stop using staff locs", I was banned after massaging him on discord and then refusing to change tag or profile.

Simply copy and pasting comments in game is no way a threat or even a veiled one. Even my afk was "stop using locs", I wasn't quiet about what I thought.
Once more, I'm done with this.

Edited by Banishment, 10 February 2022 - 07:32 AM.

"Rules for thee but not for me."

#5 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:18 AM

It's not Djinn, it's Terra/Azile.  Wrong in-game crit.

#6 «Chão§phê®ê»

«Chão§phê®ê»
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 01:46 PM

"I see Banishment acknowledging he harassed Stig and deserved a ban, but there is no apology nor any implied plans of changing behavior going forward. Banishment does not like how his harassment was taken by his victim; so he is continuing to berate said victim to seek submission."

Lastly, from my perspective this is nothing more than a failed public relations attempt. The arbitrator can't state thier opinion and then pretend that they are a non biased party that will rectify something lmao

The "harassment" was acknowledged without bans and had a lot of back and forth for months before escalating into what is being framed as "threatening." The banned being justified was never mentioned. The idea that anyone is trying to actively threaten stig is fabricated and imo this post is just an attempt to make that nonsense stick in public perception.. framed as "threatening." The banned being justified was never mentioned.

Edited by «Chão§phê®ê», 10 February 2022 - 04:40 PM.

#7 Banishment

Banishment
  • Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:57 PM

Now that I had time to read through this again, some things I want to touch up on.

"Stig bans player for 3-days"

"Banishment contacts Stig off-platform (outside of game or forum) to complain and indicates they will use statements and context to imply Stig cheats for his mortal crits (Crane)"

I was banned AFTER contacting him on Discord (I wasn't on Nightmist at this time) and refusing to cleanse my tag/profile (I was off and on for this part).

"Stig interpreted the contact as a threat to attempt to get the player base to turn on staff"

Crane: Log to entrance immediately once it dies.
Crane: I just have a bad feeling.
Neither of these were an attempt to threaten Stig, to use it against him or turn the player base on him, his comments were directed towards the majority of the player base that was already in his party.  Not like they didn't know he said this or anything.  The point of my last thread was that I DIDN'T threaten Stig.

"Banishment acknowledges ban was deserved, but he takes issue with the label and method of communication (Game Update post, though no names mentioned)"
Not only was it posted on forums, my sharer was also told directly "he outright threatens me on Discord".  Without context this could mean threats of physical harm or some other bs.
It doesn't take much to realize who it's aimed at, his forum post was made sometime after the comment on Terra.
Character Terra Stig on 02-08-2022) Banned for 3 days for constant threats and harassment towards an individual, in-game and out. And not sanitising their profile without being able to resist being a smart alec.
"Constant threats" This is the first time I've messaged him on discord since August 2021 and even that wasn't me harassing Stig.

So yes, I do take issue with being labelled as "threatening".  

Edited by Banishment, 10 February 2022 - 03:31 PM.

#8 Banishment

Banishment
  • Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:10 PM

"I see Banishment acknowledging he harassed Stig and deserved a ban, but there is no apology nor any implied plans of changing behavior going forward. Banishment does not like how his harassment was taken by his victim; so he is continuing to berate said victim to seek submission."

The apology wouldn't be sincere.

Already said in my previous thread on the very first post I would be cleansing my clan tag and character profile, along with no or few interactions in-game and out.

Previous thread wasn't to berate him, simply pointing out I didn't threaten him.

Honestly I've already gone through all of this in the previous thread and locked it assuming it was over, I feel this thread was unnecessary bait to try and extend my ban and to reinforce the idea that I threatened him.

Edited by Banishment, 10 February 2022 - 03:28 PM.

#9 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:43 PM

"It is also a problem how directly many folks (on both servers) have gotten to engage with staff on changes to the game, and we would like to curtail that issue."

I disagree with this point. I think the the mod weapon thread was very productive. Also, even in the recent instances where specific items only owned by a small portion of the server were effected in a major way, it led to productive ideas. Albeit not it the most productive way. I think the solution is transparency. Like, had that been something considered for a while? Was it based off of 5 pks by the only player with them? Was it because of an additional item or oversight. It was bad timing to say the least, but it is what it is.

One problem is when all sides of the coin aren't considered before making changes, and that is mainly problematic because certain whisperers might have a motive. And they may be helping thier account or specifically aiming to hurt another. Whereas their idea would get called out on the forum if the idea was over powered or caused a major redundancy/balance issue or whatever thing that might be overlooked.... quick changes to some of the harder items to obtained seem rash when they effect such a small portion of the playerbase, even if coincedental/justified.

Just my two cents on that part. - ares, athena

100% agree.

Forum posts are the right way to get input about game development and changes.

Everyone can provide input and perspective, and that should reduce biased changes that impact the game unevenly or unfairly.

My recommendation is that people wanting to provide feedback should almost always be directed to post on the forums.

What I meant by "too directly" was that I feel we should curtail taking game development directly or in 1-to-1 settings, such as messaging on Discord or in-game but with staff using clan or friend chat. 

I agree with a lot of individuals' opinions and input, but I don't think it is fair for some folks to get what feels like "special access." Discord is good for rallying groups or players or spreading announcements, but it is unfair for changing the game - the forum was designed for that input to be done for Nightmist. 

The changes to 1-Alt monster wisdom highlighted that to me. I agree with mages often having issues on Nightmist - no area of effect damage makes them weaker than most modern games; they feel odd being largely utility. Improving them by reducing many monsters' wisdom stat is probably one of the best methods - but that being done after feedback from a person on Discord feels sketchy - even when it makes sense and is done in a practical way that is even for all users.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#10 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:55 PM

There is so much background that goes into this situation, I will most likely end up sending you (Gaddy) a novel in DM's but its not for here. 

I will try to be concise

1. There are a multitude of issues that go into this and other situations on 1-alt. #1 is optics. When you have members of 1 clan telling you items and things that are going to be implemented at future dates, it does give off the sense of "them vs us" mentality. And this is not something that is exclusive to 1 staff member, it was all staff members at the time.

2. You say that forums are the place to discuss some changes and while I agree, I will use my lvl 40 mage item post as a reference. When totem was changed to non legendary status (which is an amazing change), I posted that the lvl 40 mage item that you get when you lvl was no longer best in slot for mages. I proposed an armor increase for it. It was then met with "you ungrateful children" rhetoric from staff members, and the whole post turned in to a steaming pile of poop. This is not the first or last time that this has happened. To the point where things were said on our side and staff side that we probably both regret. (1 staff member editing original post and in turn made it look like my post was an unwarranted flame post). that was for a +1 ac buff on a lvl 40 item mind you. Now the outcome was a great lvl 40 item for mages but the whole process made me not want to play.

3. When we message or interact with staff, in my own personal experience, any communication not greeted with "hey how are you doing today, hello, etc is met with "that was rude you are rude" etc. and then used as an arbitrary reason to either end a discussion or to get angry. This has happened on multiple occassions. 

4. Changes implemented in the last few months have impacted 1 clan more than others and it seems to be a response to a dynamic shift in the game. 

5. You can't leave the game be for the most part for multiple years and come back and rule with an iron fist. 

6. lots of coincidences have occured during quest times and other times that, although have no hard evidence, seems to be to be not on the "up and up". Including staff following us around to bosses, to TK , during pks, that make us think they are "out to get us". 

7. Nothing escalated until 1 multi-permed player manipulated staff into thinking that people were cheating and in turn he was caught to be cheating. And even then not every account with characters bought from the main "autoroller" had bans or characters deleted, again something that seemed hyperfocused on a minority.

8. I think Staff has done a great job of implementing some much needed item/mob/lvl changes to the game that has honestly been a godsend. BUT, when you are in a position like that you have to have some perspective, and current staff take everything very personally. Changes to mage items did not happen until a few people died of pks, and even then it was a stealth nerf until i mentioned it to staff. So lots of coincidences that pile up and give certain people a probably skewed view of the entire situation

I think the overall view of certain players is that we feel "targeted" being the minority and not in the "in" crowd. And so when things get changed right after we do a boss or train a certain character we feel like its directly related to our play styles etc.

Edited by brewcrew, 10 February 2022 - 09:02 PM.

Prophet 1a #1 pande pwning clan!

#11 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:58 PM

Now that I had time to read through this again, some things I want to touch up on.

"Stig bans player for 3-days"

"Banishment contacts Stig off-platform (outside of game or forum) to complain and indicates they will use statements and context to imply Stig cheats for his mortal crits (Crane)"

I was banned AFTER contacting him on Discord (I wasn't on Nightmist at this time) and refusing to cleanse my tag/profile (I was off and on for this part).

"Stig interpreted the contact as a threat to attempt to get the player base to turn on staff"

Crane: Log to entrance immediately once it dies.
Crane: I just have a bad feeling.
Neither of these were an attempt to threaten Stig, to use it against him or turn the player base on him, his comments were directed towards the majority of the player base that was already in his party.  Not like they didn't know he said this or anything.  The point of my last thread was that I DIDN'T threaten Stig.

"Banishment acknowledges ban was deserved, but he takes issue with the label and method of communication (Game Update post, though no names mentioned)"
Not only was it posted on forums, my sharer was also told directly "he outright threatens me on Discord".  Without context this could mean threats of physical harm or some other bs.
It doesn't take much to realize who it's aimed at, his forum post was made sometime after the comment on Terra.
Character Terra Stig on 02-08-2022) Banned for 3 days for constant threats and harassment towards an individual, in-game and out. And not sanitising their profile without being able to resist being a smart alec.
"Constant threats" This is the first time I've messaged him on discord since August 2021 and even that wasn't me harassing Stig.

So yes, I do take issue with being labelled as "threatening".  

Your post on the forum is exactly what I am asking folks with issues about staff or behavioral punishments to do going forward.

Punishing for that or trying to bait you into punishment would be toxic staff trying to ruin the player experience and drive you off Nightmist. Contact JLH.

Summary of blue font: I agree that the logs shown do not demonstrate any threats or extreme behavior by Banishment - in-game, on forum, or off-platform. However, continuing to contact Stig about Stig does not work - as you've also said you agree about. That's why I've asked to step in as a 3rd party.

Thank you for that sequence clarification about bans and communication. It is important to note that your 3-day ban was after the Discord message. Thus the punishment as for the full combination of in-game hassling of staff and what Stig took as harassment off-platform.

• Off-platform behavior - "hassling staff" but I don't see anything beyond that
    • Nightmist is not responsible for other platforms; thus, what goes on with other platforms being part of Nightmist should only be in extreme situations (e.g. - real-life threats, trying to get someone to self-harm, and other conditions that are literally broaching legal issues --- things where Nightmist needs to avoid being construed as enablement of illegal actions)
    • No threats or extreme behavior has been shown in the chat logs shared.
    • The log does show continuing to pester Stig by claiming he cheats - after being told that was harassment in-game.
  • ​However, Nightmist has never had a method to air these grievances aside from "e-mail JLH"
    • So, I really don't know what you should have done.
    • Making a post on the forum with that claim of cheating would probably be seen as more aggressive than contacting the staffer.
    • Thus, I've tried to provide this platform - use the "Comments" forum or message me.
  • Stig's behaviors and communication - I am making a separate post for this.

So, that's why I've setup the process that I outlined. There has not been a method that was not hassling Stig about Stig. Now, we are saying that creating a post in "Comments" is the route to report suspicious behavior or staff harassing players. 

I just do not see any other options without additional game staff or oversight of staff - aside from, "e-mail JLH." 

#12 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:26 PM

There is so much background that goes into this situation, I will most likely end up sending you (Gaddy) a novel in DM's but its not for here. 

I will try to be concise

1. There are a multitude of issues that go into this and other situations on 1-alt. #1 is optics. When you have members of 1 clan telling you items and things that are going to be implemented at future dates, it does give off the sense of "them vs us" mentality. And this is not something that is exclusive to 1 staff member, it was all staff members at the time.

2. You say that forums are the place to discuss some changes and while I agree, I will use my lvl 40 mage item post as a reference. When totem was changed to non legendary status (which is an amazing change), I posted that the lvl 40 mage item that you get when you lvl was no longer best in slot for mages. I proposed an armor increase for it. It was then met with "you ungrateful children" rhetoric from staff members, and the whole post turned in to a steaming pile of poop. This is not the first or last time that this has happened. To the point where things were said on our side and staff side that we probably both regret. (1 staff member editing original post and in turn made it look like my post was an unwarranted flame post). that was for a +1 ac buff on a lvl 40 item mind you. Now the outcome was a great lvl 40 item for mages but the whole process made me not want to play.

3. When we message or interact with staff, in my own personal experience, any communication not greeted with "hey how are you doing today, hello, etc is met with "that was rude you are rude" etc. and then used as an arbitrary reason to either end a discussion or to get angry. This has happened on multiple occassions. 

4. Changes implemented in the last few months have impacted 1 clan more than others and it seems to be a response to a dynamic shift in the game. 

5. You can't leave the game be for the most part for multiple years and come back and rule with an iron fist. 

6. lots of coincidences have occured during quest times and other times that, although have no hard evidence, seems to be to be not on the "up and up". Including staff following us around to bosses, to TK , during pks, that make us think they are "out to get us". 

7. Nothing escalated until 1 multi-permed player manipulated staff into thinking that people were cheating and in turn he was caught to be cheating. And even then not every account with characters bought from the main "autoroller" had bans or characters deleted, again something that seemed hyperfocused on a minority.

8. I think Staff has done a great job of implementing some much needed item/mob/lvl changes to the game that has honestly been a godsend. BUT, when you are in a position like that you have to have some perspective, and current staff take everything very personally. Changes to mage items did not happen until a few people died of pks, and even then it was a stealth nerf until i mentioned it to staff. So lots of coincidences that pile up and give certain people a probably skewed view of the entire situation.

I cannot claim to fully understand each point since I am not familiar enough with the ongoings of 1-Alt, but I've read your post and appreciate you taking time to provide additional context.

1. Yes, and that is more than optics. Staff sharing development info outside of the staff forum is not allowed. I get the information is probably too late to capture, but in the future, I'm asking folks to make new posts in "Comments" with logs of chat and other information about involved parties when this occurs. It is a huge no-no.
    1. I do not have historical guidance on how it has been punished, but that means staff are breaking basic development rules and giving advantages to players. For example, I ask Stig to jump through hoops so that I can play Main without advantages (hiding quest details, not revealing drops, etc.), but sometimes I just have to recuse myself from new gameplay for a defined period of time - certain whole quests or crafting that were shared for input on the Staff Forum as well.
  2. Yep - most of the time input and feedback is not taken. I get frustrated with the same thing. It is nice that feedback has a platform and gets considered though.
    1. Sorry, staff are volunteers that ultimately are doing what they think is best combined with what allows them some creative expression and freedom. They do not owe us anything. Of course, when you get treated poorly, that sucks. I'm sorry your posts have been unwelcome rather than getting quality discussion.
  3. Staff are not assigned to be a welcome desk or accessible buddy. Players often come off as trying to manipulate staff into being buddy-buddy to get their ideas implemented.
    1. The only staffer that I recall being particularly friendly for over a year was Elf.
    2. Most staff have seemed egotistical and self-righteous. I know those were some of my biggest problems when I was Game Staff long ago... 
  4. Hard to gauge this. I am interested in understanding what is going on, but game design tends toward staff preferences for creating and developing - sometimes more than it should. However, there should also be balances and limits. If none of this is being posted for discussion, that gets pretty frustrating. Also, JLH did not make 1-Alt NOPK or ever state support of that approach from what I have seen.
  5. Who? And what do you mean by "rule the game?"
  6. That sounds suspicious, and I have gotten private messages that others also feel targeted, monitored, and tracked. Frankly, from what you and others describe - Stig is harassing players that he either does not like personally or disagrees with on gameplay. That is harassment and raises concerns.
    1. This applies here, but please consider starting capturing these instances. I suggest an ongoing thread like, "Feeling Over-Monitored" for players to log when they feel tracked or harassed by staff, which can compile those claims over time. Please ensure it includes a request to be left alone.
      1. Sometimes, staff are going to follow players. They are tracking auto-trainers and other rules, but they also want to see how people play the game to assess game development, improvement, and changes. Even when they are monitoring tactics, that is part of why they have the ability.
      2. However, it seems abusive if it is used to figure out and stop players from enjoying the game. For example, if you PK regularly, and staff follows you to figure out how to hinder your PK methods, that is questionable at best.
    2. I am trying to process the multiple folks who have reported this and assess what is a reasonable response.
  7. My understanding is that JLH was able to come in to resolve issues around the auto-roller situation. Make a separate post for this, but I am not likely to address it.
  8. Adjustment of balancing items is going to happen. Staff do not have any obligation to announce or post those adjustments. Stig has made a habit of tracking and posting update information, which is great - but don't slip into thinking it is some kind of required service or task.
    1. Was this gear that Stig developed and has since modified? Perhaps this is what results in saying folks are ungrateful - developing an area, boss, drop, crafting, etc. - have it be great new stuff, but when tweaked, folks want to complain and tear you down---and completely forget the gear would not even exist. It does feel bad for staff; any tuning down of gear is always treated as a horrible offense by some.

Again, I am not Game Staff. The Advisor role is subordinate to Game Staff. So, my opinions about staffing and development do not make rules - I advise, but staff are above me.

I do not see the authority to push 1-Alt to NOPK, but Game Staff develop without clear direction or rules, and they do not have to seek or accept feedback. However, I think a thread was started to discuss that exact topic months ago, right?

#13 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 05:21 AM

I can't take this any more.  I really can't.  I can't defend myself.  I can't justify myself.  I can't do anything right.  I can't even hold a real-life job.  You can have my resignation.  Consider this an admission that I was cheating and am currupt in the worst way possible.  I cannot handle this any more.  I just get it wrong.

Trevayne was right.  I am emotionally unstable and manipulative and "my way or the highway".

(I will deny editing any recent posts though)

#14 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 06:18 AM

I think we all want a mutual resolution and I don't think this is the answer. Outside of this situation I genuinely hope you are OK.

#15 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 06:30 AM

Am I okay? No I mooseing well aren't.  I can't do a good job, I got no support from anyone on the staff team because they've all been fired for corruption, are completely indifferent or have been hounded off the game and/or otherwise refuse to log on for their own mental health.  So of course I ended up playing favourites and asking a few experienced players for input and design ideas, many of which appeared in the game in one shape or another.  Yeah, I played, favourites... yeah, i tracked players... yeah, I monitored chat.  I am corrupt.  I am hypocritical.  I am evil.  I am mentally unstable.  I am autistic.  I am subhuman.

There is no answer but me to leave.  I cannot take this any more.  I cannot take this stupid life any more.  I can't even cook food now because I'm so frightened of setting the kitchen on fire, not to mention that my oven's heating element shorted out and tripped the circuit breaker.  And I can't afford an electrician to repair it.  NO. I. AM. NOT. OKAY.  I've had enough.  I've had enough.  I just can't do this.  I can't do this.

And I hate PKing.  I hate it. I hate it.  I HATE IT.

#16 Banishment

Banishment
  • Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 06:49 AM

I will say this got way out of hand and wasn't my intention to turn this into anything more, I simply wanted to defend myself from the accusation of sending you threats both ingame and out.

As others have said, there was a lot of build up over the past months that made me act the way I did to earn my ban, I would have accepted it for what it was if not for the "threats" added in my profile.

I also do not wish for you to quit and I would prefer to just drop all of this.

#17 Nerve

Nerve
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:22 AM

So I kind of already touched a little on this and nothing against gaddy at all but, This post should have never been started. If more info was wanted or needed should have been DM to them and not another public post.

I dont want Stig to quit either, I hope hes ok I really do. You being autistic doesnt make you any less of a person or subhuman

I say lock this thread and drop it, I dont see any good coming out of this.

#18 Banishment

Banishment
  • Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:24 AM

Nuke both threads.

#19 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:28 AM

Agree with mike, 

Not one of us want to see you treat yourself this way Stig, 

I hope you find help if thats what you need, or get time away if thats what you need. 

Nuke the thread..

#20 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 05:28 PM

Sorry gents. I am not going to do that.

No one posted abuse or wild things. I appreciate how civil this thread remained.

Stig needs support, as he stated. Staffing alone is a horrible setup.

The support I have offered is to get to where Stig is not be the one handling complaints himself and to stop Stig punishing Stig. So, I am not deleting this post or recommended process. If the help is not wanted or "helpful," Stig can reject it. I have no actual authority over him or Nightmist.

My request has been to allow me to recommend the resolution - including punishments if needed. That is because I recognize Stig tends to be harder on himself than any reasonable 3rd party would be - by far. Your requests to delete this emphasize that, and hopefully Stig can recognize he is overreacting.

However, more staff comes with significant additional risks. So, rather than proposing more staff, I proposed a path to reduce the burden on Stig without that risk.

That said, I do think we can stop arbitration input, and I can conclude.

Sadly, I worry I've left that a day too long, but hopefully Stig can come back to the agreement rather than his approach to handling Stig.

Stig:

I recommend a 2-week recusal from staffing 1-Alt, and a 1-week ban from playing 1-Alt.

Additional recommendations about mitigating staff burden and reduce conflicts and biases going forward.

1. 2-week recusal proposed for abuse of staff powers
    1. Context suggests that staff crit was used to benefit self as player (seeing PKers or knowing their plan)
    2. Tracking and monitoring players seems to have reached a point of harassment; the break is also meant to provide time and distance - hopefully reduce the tunnel vision on specific characters and playstyles
    3. Other game development, changes, and work are up to staff discretion. Development bias will exist, and there are no rules or grounds to argue that should be punished
  2. 1-week ban from playing 1-Alt
    1. Context suggest payer benefited self and party members with staff character (notifying group of risk)
    2. No other play restrictions or rules - staff already holds self out of clans to be available for all to group for parties, show play styles, and interact on somewhat equal footing
      1. This is an impressive best practice. I wish we had done this when there were more staff members.
  3. Other recommendations:
    1. Discord should be used as player-only, except when passing along announcements made by staff via forum or in-game
      1. Direct contact seems unhealthy for staff - both amount and directness
      2. Direct contact seems too impactful and unfair to the development process - no checks on bias or input equitabilty
    2. Player complaints about game should be directed to the forum
      1. Players upset about PKs, play styles, developments, and all things regarding staff should be redirected to post on the forum
        1. Staff should not constantly be burdened with each player's feelings
        2. Players who are upset should able to express themselves elsewhere, not with the single authority figure that is working on game development and other things - too distracting and upsetting
    3. Staff in-game should be able to interact and communicate - but they are not a doormat and should be free to manage their time as needed
      1. In-game, staff's mortal characters should NEVER be pulled into staffing topics - shut folks down when that occurs - blame Gaddy
      2. In-game, players should be contacting staff to talk or say hello - possibly sharing links or asking if their idea has merit or been seen (AFTER having written the concept for public review on forums) 
      3. In-game, development and staff work should only be discussed if STAFF is ASKING for input
        1. Sometimes, conversations are helpful, and some players have input that you need from them specifically
        2. Obviously, this is all that the discretion of the staff member, but they should be able to be online without feeling required to address everyone for everything
          1. On non-staff crit or not seeking input - "Please post on the forum. Game development is not something I am asking for direct support with."
          2. Folks trying to unload about other players -- "I am not an appropriate venting location; staff need some distance. Please post to the forum." 
          3. Seeking feedback --- "I'd appreciate your thoughts on ____. Could we chat or could you post to this forum topic _____."

Recommendation Context:

Recommendations 1 & 2 - Stig, I ask that you enforce these upon yourself. There is sufficient context and merit to the player concerns, and there is no way for staff to prove innocence. I think a break demonstrates humility and willingness to acknowledge that the perception is important, too. No further punishment or issues are needed, and I hope you'll let yourself off the punishments and labels you've put on yourself.

Recommendation 3 - These should be able to be leveraged at staff's discretion to protect of your time, energy, and well-being.

This is recommended because it seems like Stig could use some rules to refer players to understand. I think he feels too much burden and too many demands. Stig and other staff could vary on these as much as they want, but I think they are setting up for failure by doing so. You expose yourself to too many people, biases, and issues - on a constant basis. 

If you choose to use these recommendations and anyone is upset that you've pulled back or are being "mean." They are being rude and unreasonable. Blame Gaddy for pushing his expectations for distance and communication management on staff.

Basically, direct unwelcome contacts or messages to the forum or me. I will try not to be mean, but I also do not tend towards the guilt and self-blame struggles.

Banishment:

No changes except those proposed.

1. 3-day ban makes sense, but I no longer think it was getting off lightly
    1. Stig has made himself too accessible as staff (Discord, constant contact, mortal crits contacted about staff topics); that is not players' responsibility to manage
    2. No threats were made on well-being or real life
  2. Future concerns or complaints should be made in a Comments forum post or message to Gaddy
    1. Banishment stated he would abide by instructions to clear profiles and stop harassment behaviors
    2. Agreed that he wants to drop it and leave Stig alone - as requested

Best regards,

Gaddy

PS -

I'm sorry to see Stig beating himself up. I worried that would happen, and I let this drag on too long.

However, I am glad Stig recognizes there is a problem with how he has handled interactions and frustrations. However, I hope he is willing to have a 3rd party assess his behavior rather than how drastically he feels he needs to respond.

However, as players, I think you're also seeing how problematic it is to start the game on a PK phase again. Players are upset and being run off the game. Those players pull Stig into their feelings and complaints over and over and over, and Stig already hates the PKing aspects. You can play how you want to play and do what you enjoy, but don't expect Stig to develop or enjoy a game that is ruined for him.

#21 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 10:33 PM

I still skulk around here from time to time. That was a heavy read.

There's a duality in being staff that is hard to deal with. They either care about playing the game and will have a hard time when tension rises to not give their mortal character that little edge or they lose interest and stop logging on unless drunk and bored. Examples aplenty, me personally being one of the later.

I'm still sour from Jase (I think that's what he was called) banning my staff character only to then later been found out to be cheating and just wanting me out of the way. Although the banning in of itself was justified.

It's not easy. I hope everyone that needs it will find a way out of their current state and a way to refocus.

Edited by Angelus, 11 February 2022 - 10:38 PM.

Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#22 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 11:54 PM

I hate to see this. I didn't want to post on these threads at first because I didn't wanna get caught up in the drama this stuff always brings but I feel I need to say something now that it's came to this and seeing recent posts.

In the decades I've known Gareth in-game he's always been fair as a player and staff to me. I'm not close to him and I've never interacted with him outside of game at all but from what I do know he is a good dude and I for one was glad he was made staff. Gareth is one of the few people in game that has always been kind or fair to people who treat him the same over the entire time I've played. If you had an issue in game he would always take the time and do his best to work it out or help or at least guide you to contact JLH and even going as far as helping JLH notice that contact attempt to get things resolved more quickly. I feel I need to say all of this because a lot is being piled on someone who has always been a good dude in my opinion.

I don't care about this current situation or if people disagree with me or have had different experiences I am just giving my viewpoint. I do care that the only person I've seen still even attempting to improve the NM experience might have been chased off. Things could have and should have been done differently and not gotten to this point. I appreciate Gareth for taking the time out of his days to staff this game as long as he has and appreciate all he has done. Thank you for that Gareth. I really mean that. 

This leaves the fact that every time we have an active staff on this game that actually tries to change anything it's only a matter of time before they get ran off by players that take it as a slight or disagree with them over something that looks silly in hindsight. I hate this about NM. Sometimes as a player base we don't know how to handle small issues like adults and it snowballs into a big issue in which staff is either removed or just gets fed up and leaves. This does not leave the game in better shape because as soon as it happens "new players" aka perm banned players from the past come back under new aliases, botting and auto rolling run rampant and NM just circles the drain as it gets further away from the game and player base we all used to love and the players who play by the rules and appreciate having staff are discouraged and/or ran off. It's time we're honest with ourselves and point the blame where it's due. A lot of players who have left and never came back didn't just "grow out of NM" or "move on to better games". They left because of player or clan disagreements and drama, getting hunted and harassed mercilessly to the point they couldn't even play, sharer theft, personal attacks in and out of game, some well deserved perm bans obviously but the list goes on and we've seen it happen over and over. it sucks.

Gareth please don't be so hard on yourself. You're a kind dude with a good heart and I'm glad I got share a nerdy little game like NM with people like you over the years. Even if I'm not as present in-game as I once was just know there are still people out there who have your back.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#23 «Chão§phê®ê»

«Chão§phê®ê»
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 02:34 AM

I don't care about this current situation or if people disagree with me or have had different experiences I am just giving my viewpoint.

K.

#24 «Chão§phê®ê»

«Chão§phê®ê»
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 02:55 AM

Agree with Angelus. There are some very tempting minor things that can cause stupid nuts to snowball, or their is full fledged cheating..

Over the last year my perception of stig being perfect diminished drastically, but it's really not as big of a deal as everyone is acting.

@stig I had a really rough year last year and sort of see similarities in us from what I do know. You seem to care very much about your reputation and simultaneously seem to not want to at the moment. Try to find a balance. Because even people that are irritated have seen what you have done for the game.

I personally just don't want to see that go out the window /shrug.

Bans and stuff have been mentioned.... why? Lol. Like just move on. The point that you shouldn't trust a ding-dong saying zerkers are hard to train has been made, and that is the only thing that really matters. Game changes should be a little more Public or developed nearly privately. Not a small group of players.

The other thing is a matter of choice. If my ex is sending messages to someone and I'm reading them without a reason, I can't really be mad at what the contents say... but if my ex knew I was reading them, she would probably say things to hurt me on purpose. Which is what happened. If it led to prolonged negative feelings, that wasn't the purpose from what I saw. It would be like a cop following you all the time. Sure, I could let it go... or I could tell the authority off to the best of my ability without getting thrown in jail./shrug. Idk, I guess gaddys idea was pretty good after all. Cause I feel like this is completely done unless the authority figure chooses otherwise.

#25 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 04:23 PM

Christ has everyone gone back to the old days when they were teenagers?

It's always been questionable with Staff checking locs and I've seen it over the years but honestly I don't see Gareth doing it.

That been said Staff are supposed to be there to progress the game and be authoritive. Ban all involved.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#26 «Chão§phê®ê»

«Chão§phê®ê»
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 07:25 PM

He admitted it, yet I still don't think it's worth the conversation. I'm just mad about Willy nilly changes that seem to have alterior motives.

#27 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 08:31 PM

Oh if he admitted it then that's obviously not good.

Using a Staff Character to abuse powers isn't what I had him pegged down to do however that said he does so much good for the game he's entitled to a few mistakes.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#28 «Chão§phê®ê»

«Chão§phê®ê»
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 08:51 PM

It's minimal abuse. It's "I am not going to get pkd because I have a crystal ball" lmao.. which while technically wrong (somewhat expected lmao)

Edited by «Chão§phê®ê», 12 February 2022 - 09:03 PM.

#29 «Chão§phê®ê»

«Chão§phê®ê»
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 08:56 PM

I mean. I excuse it as a human tendency to do most of the things mentioned on both sides. If someone has full authority over something chances are they utilize thier decisions for some sort of benefit. Whether it just being accidental because you enjoy the benefit of playing with other people. I think one solution for the game and stigs mental health is to seperate his income person from his staff one.

I dont know that I've ever seen him on a mortal in a DA party where changing something is brought up. (Almost always with an obvious reason for thier own account) lol.. should stop...

On the flip side, you are going to say something to get in trouble if a cop pulls up to check on you on a daily basis... all because they would prefer a 10 crit party with stupid random rules from 10 years ago (made sense at the time) instead of 3 people utilizing game functions to kill the same bosses. /shrug

But yeah, I'm pretty civil about it all in spite of the fact that stig and the inbred bunch are the reason half our account was banned.

Edited by «Chão§phê®ê», 12 February 2022 - 09:07 PM.

#30 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:23 AM

The cheating and questionable actions I've done:

- Re-created Kayla's Brooch when instinctively and carelessly walked into Kayla's house too early (before the Mysterious Chest respawned from using a previous brooch).  (And no, this source of XP in general is fine because it's once per hour on average and doesn't have much impact once you reach the Expert levels.  I'm aware of players hogging it and have never tried to stop it... just occasionally getting annoyed when I go to use Kayla's Brooch and find the Mysterious Chest not in (in which case I just accept my loss - the above incident was in response to my own stupidity because I had just used the Mysterious Chest 5 minutes prior)... I will not make it PK).
- Refunded 10,000 gold after carelessly running into the scrapyard in Harabec with nothing to trade (no /examines sought).
- Refunded 5,000 gold after accidentally running into the room with the Blue Cauldron in the Coven with no Empty Flasks (the /examine was not touched).  This happened due to hitting and running Bandits in the Royal Forest and running back to the Coven to heal and to minimise the risk of getting PKed, and getting my directions wrong.
- Increased Balrog's hypnotise factor from 0 to 0.01 after observing a level 40 Ranger constantly soloing it (0.01 shouldn't really affect a level 40 Ranger though unless their Charisma is particularly bad, since at that level they've kind of already earnt the right).
- Felt that +2 Int, +1 Dex was too much for a single boss drop which was possibly designed to make the boss appealing over some quest items that were already around in-game, especially after observing that some of the PKing Mages had 33 Int at level 37 (with another +1 Int available at level 40), so reducing this item to just +1 Int I felt was the best way to temper this power, with the logic that it will still have +1 Dex, +5 armour and 0.1 Spell Absorb over the other non-quest Int item that can go in this slot (it's +1 Dex, +3 armour over the quest item).
- Toned down the Erebus Lance ever so slightly after hearing just how fast some Berserkers were training (this on top of the ridiculous notions that "18m XP is not that much")... it also opened my eyes as to why these players were so privileged... they were using heavy hitters with training weapons and spells, something that not everyone can afford, especially if they're using a class like a Paladin that trains more slowly even with a powerful PvE weapon.
- Tracked players, mostly out of curiosity, especially if they're soloing a boss and possibly making adjustments based on their performance (especially if a boss is not designed to be soloed).  OFten, nothing needs to be done because it takes a ridiculously long time to solo a boss.  After the PKing recently picked up and I was being personally hunted, I did briefly use it to work out where PKers often looked, but this was mostly unhelpful because said PKers were able to check the entire realm in a matter of minutes and nowhere was safe, and they were thorough.  In the end I just fell back to old intuition of staying off the beaten path and preferably being behind a line of KTP monsters that they wouldn't think to initially check (e.g. parts of Mt. Sentant are a good choice... the Ancient Tunnel is a bad one).

On my mortals, I'm effectively in my own clan and am a mercenary for hire, and mostly just want to keep to myself unless explicitly invited.  All I want to do is private training and to keep to myself, not disturbing anyone and not being disturbed in return.  I'm a loner... always have been.  My staff name "Stig" is a reference to a Brisih television show where the resident expert driver is a guy in white overalls, an unknown identity and never seen with his helmet off, although there's always been speculation and an older, black-suited variant of "The Stig" who was outed as the racing driver Ben Collins was killed off, so part of me knew I would eventually be exposed as Gareth/Crane and I was kind of lampshading it... and that happened when a player once slyly asked me a staff question on my mortal and I answered without thinking, prompting a "gotcha" and a "You just told me" reaction - I was nothing short of furious and feeling incredibly stupid that I fell for the oldest trick in the book.  Unfortunately, at that point on, the line between mortal and staff was no longer distinct and even I struggled to keep them separated.

So for the incident that kicked this all off... the crackdown on auto-rolled crits.  A player (Blake I think, I'm terrible with names) sent me screenshots of a conversation and a virtual machine showing the infamous auto-roller in action.  I knew this was serious and undeniable evidence that the auto-roller exists, and I couldn't see any immediately obvious doctoring, so I checked the account in question and found that 18 out of 22 crits were 6 stats.  This rang alarm bells, most likely influenced by what I had just seen, but feeling this was well out of my league and I couldn't actually prove anything for sure, I sent everything I had to JLH.  He told me to ban the account pending investigation (which I did) and he ran his own log analysis on the entire server, which flagged 18 accounts as having used an auto-roller or which shared an IP with an auto-roller.  No names, just pure logic and analysis (JLH mentioned that one IP had over 300,000 rerolls within 24 hours... that's nearly a consistent 4 per second).  I had nothing to do with who got banned and who didn't, other than the order to ban the initial account.  Unfortunately there were accusations of favouritism because one of the flagged players claimed innocence, and after I analysed the crits in their account one by one, I determined that none of them were 6-stats and hence were likely not auto-rolled.  Once JLH himself was satisfied the account was clean, it was unlocked.  This caused the ire of one player because I had trained with them once and they were adamanti that this player was not innocent, sending me proof that they were using multiple VPNs (it didn't click initially that this was what was happening in the screenshot and I was too overwhelmed with everything else to make head or tail of it), and this caused me to be labelled as corrupt and constantly hunted.  I just wanted to be left alone, but now this wasn't an option on my mortals any more.

To re-emphasie, I hate PKing... I absolutely hate it, and want nothing to do with it and to just be left in peace, but players make the game what they want to make it, and in their mind, if you don't like PKing, get off the game or go play multi-alt.  From a long-range perspective, I can see this only driving off moderate players, especially those who can't put in many hours a day because of the extortionate XP losses and other unfair penalties on being PKed that some classes can't get back as quickly, or only in set locations (e.g. undead areas for Clerics) where they'll likely just get nailed again.  I would wish that prizes and penalties were more dynamic and could be made fairer, especially if griefing and bullying becomes a problem, but the things i can influence in the game are limited, and hard-coded mechanics I have absolutely no control over.  And now I was being hunted over an accusation of favouritism and nothing could counter their desire for blind vengeance.

Now to the business of the Red Dragon.  I was tracking Djinn at the time - I can't remember why I never just sent Stig back to the staff room, but that's rife for speculation.  I guess this is where my naïveté shows, because not once did I envision them actually follow us into the Twilight Jungle, so you can imagine my horror when they did just that, and then strategically wait for us to reach the Red Dragon so they'd have a better chance and an easy escape.  Now I knew they were stalking us, but I knew I couldn't tell the party that "they're in here with is" and would just have to wait until the fireworks started flying.  Maybe it's from being too addicted to this game that it caused me to bave an adrenaline dump and a fight or flight response because, you know, my life was in danger in-game.  I think the other players suspected something might be up, possibly due to Ares being in the party with them (although they should have no reason to check the location of their own clannies, if they even could, while being distracted by the area's hazards).  At the same time, I realised the area had a design flaw that the PKers could exploit... the entrance square was PK, and being killed at any of the Red Dragon's spawn squares would send is back there, so any victims could receive a double whammy of lost XP and items, something that in my mind was beyond unfair, so I corrected the problem and made the square noPK (but still able to attack monsters).

In the end, I slipped up and mentioned I had a bad feeling, possibly unable to contain the panic any longer, and the feeling seemed to resonate with the team.  At one point the PKers lost track of us, and I knew we had to get this over quickly and hoped we could kill the Red Dragon before they returned... alas, it was not meant to be.  They timed their opening volley right after we attacked so we would have no stamina, and our Cleric went down instantly.  Being a Paladin, I would stand no chance against a Mage and a Berserker of a similar level and I knew this, so having already cast Champion's Strength on the hitters a couple of rounds earlier, I knew I had done all I could and logged to the entrance.  To my surprise, the PKer got killed by one of the surviving Berserkers (the only one that wasn't Ares) because he managed to hold out against the Nightshade spam with his own use of Ration Packs, and when his 5 stamina recharged, he managed to round him thanks to having Enhance and Champion's Strength active... and then amazingly managed to kill the Red Dragon too, which was near-death.  I'm not sure what happened to the other PKer, because they have no kills or deaths on their profile, or at least no extra ones, so I suspect they got killed by the Kitsune that had spawned on the square.  Pkers and victims alike reconvened on the entrance square, and the victims said it's a shame that the square was noPK because they wish they could PK them back there and then (which confirmed in my mind that the PKers would be doing just that given their large inventory of Nightshade Elixirs).  The whole incident had really shaken me up, and I just wanted to get back to town after all that.  My body was trembling out of panic.  Some people live for that rush... I don't.  I like to keep control of my destiny.

My reputation.  I want to be known as fair and just, but I don't want to be put on a pedestal.  I'm not an infallible god and I never want to be.  I don't want to be a hero or the face of anything or seen as this great person.  I have no desire to fame, because ultimately we all die and are forgotten to the sands of time.  I'm the technician who keeps his head down and makes sure things are working, and whom you wouldn't give a second glance to on the street.  My life is irrelevant in the grand scheme and I seek only to serve things greater than myself so they may continue running once I am gone.  Frankly I could live being the most hated subhuman in the universe, as long as I could do my job and keep exposure to a minimum, but due to how politics have played out in this game, that option has been taken away from me and for too long I have been the only active moderator of this game, and so have become the face of it.  With no other staff around, me questioning myself and me being an extreme introvert, in the end I had to rely on players to help with ideas and testing, which of course gave them knowledge of things that other players had yet to discover or work out... one example is Lady Talaska's new drop and what to do with it, and the new craft in the Coven.  I have asked to keep it on the QT and to not be the first to craft it, but I can't control that ultimately, and if players aren't that observant, they may miss something (e.g. a subtle clue in the text descriptions or NPC chat) that my helpers know already due to being part of the design process.

And now a final word... frankly I'm sickened that even upstanding people instantly go for 'guilty until proven innocent', like with the last member of staff who got chased off the game.  A screenshot exists of her teleporting a level 18 Mage to a square near the Magician Bandit... unfortunately it's not the complete picture... she was teleporting her BACK to the Magician Bandit because she had teleported her away to test a Mage weapon (she was trying, unsuccessfully, to make Enhance useful for them) - unfortunately when she finished and teleported Mew back to its previous location, another player was on the square.  The staff was more than willing to have JLH confirm that this is what happened, but players had already decided she was a cheater and to not let her forget it.  Worse, people who are completely unconnected to the incident believe her to be guilty... doesn't anyone think to ask "care to explain this?" before jumping to conclusions?  And of course, with her gone, I was alone once again, having to endure endless vitriol and entitlement and rapid-fire debates without assistance.  I just want to design things and make players happy, but because I'm the only one left, I'm forced to deal directly with people.  In case some of you haven't noticed, I can't even remember people's names half the time or who belongs to what.

As for what happens to me now... unless JLH himself decides my fate, I'll let you speculate.  Don't try looking for me - you won't find me - and maybe at last I can rest in peace.

Yay... less lag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users