• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

This item makes 0 sense to me. Reminds me of the Pandi-drops that every one use to whiiiiiiine and whiiiiiine about.

The focus on 1a (mainly) is to balance the game.

There are a fair amount of 4 ac rings out there.

Time to introduce a shiny new 5ac ring?
That's surprising, there's only 1 of those on Multi. But sure! Sounds great!

How about a shiny +1 dex ring?
Woa! I WANT I WANT

How about now turning that 5ac ring into the first dex-mod ring on the server as well?
Huh...?

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.

I would appreciate any input as to why this item was implemented, do you think it's balanced, what can be done to balance it, etc..

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#2 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

It's balanced because it was incredibly hard to get and only one will ever exist. Unlike some of the drops of old, it took a lot of work to obtain and due to its rarity, cannot be stacked.

There is another 5ac ring in the game actually, and it isn't a quest item. Oh, and there are at least 3 on multi-alt.

#3 Dangerous

Dangerous
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

I would have done the quest but i couldn't find my batteries Q.Q

#4 Pureza

Pureza

It's 4:20, do you know where your papers are???

• Members
  • 1858 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:41 AM

It's balanced because it was incredibly hard to get and only one will ever exist. Unlike some of the drops of old, it took a lot of work to obtain and due to its rarity, cannot be stacked.

There is another 5ac ring in the game actually, and it isn't a quest item. Oh, and there are at least 3 on multi-alt.

As far as the main server is concerned, what 3 rings are you refering to? Or are you refering to the 4 Glowing Cobalt Rings that have been made?
Jaded ingame.

#5 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

I still wonder if the ring was beefed up when staff realized that everyone hated the 'quest' and ignored it as best as possible. . . Sort of a "See, you should have taken part in the quest!" modification to make the players wish they had done more. :lol:

This questie blows every one from the past out of the water on the 1-Alt server, and there are really only a couple of the dozens on the multi server that would be nicer to have in my opinion.

Edited by Autek, 28 July 2011 - 01:57 AM.

Autek in game.

#6 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:34 AM

No, I promise the ring had its stats finalised before the Bile Worm made its appearance. And yes, I was referring to the Glowing Cobalt Rings previously (I'm not sure exactly how many there are).

#7 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

And other multi quest rings, like "Ruby Ring" and "Inquisitor's Ring".

#8 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

I have thought it was over the top since I heard about... could basically make 1 char in the game have a huge advantage over the rest of the server... I would have rather seen a ring with a ridiculous amount of armor than a dex mod... but oh well.. I wouldn't complain of I had it

Edited by Apocalypto, 28 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.

Apocalypto

#9 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

I still have my suspicions either way. And yeah, the Inquisitor's Ring is the only ring I'd rather have over it on either server. As for other items, I've always drooled over the Amulet of Sythos and the Rune Staff I own is pretty much irreplaceable for a solo druid.

And just because something is hard to get doesn't mean it's balanced. . . . What if you had some ridiculous quest that had a 1/1000 chance to complete for a permanent 500 HP gain on the lucky character to land a kill shot? Sure, difficult and very unlikely that it would ever be completed, but does that make it balanced? Not at all!

Heck, just look at the opening bid on the ring. . . No item or character has ever seen a bid like that on the 1-Alt server, and if you translate that at a 1:10 ratio over to main gold, I'm not sure than any single character or item, questie or otherwise on that server has seen a bid of that stature. And that's just the OPENING bid!

Balanced? I don't think so. . . .

Edited by Autek, 28 July 2011 - 01:47 PM.

Autek in game.

#10 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Questies dont have to be balanced. If they were, it would be boring. +1 dex doesnt make you an invincible ninja god, so get over it.

#11 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Why do staff respond on here, valid or not, this only enforces the claim that players influence staff decisions. Altering it now in any way doesn't look particularly good. The current owner will claim bias if it gets changed because other players wished it to be.

If you feel as staff you have to argue your reasons every time they are questioned by players, you remove the line between who is actually developing and who is actually playing.

Not saying players can't discuss it between themselves, and raise valid points which staff can consider (behind the screens that is).
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#12 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

^^^^

Do not feed the Troll.

#13 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

I actually think staff should defend their decisions sometimes. I feel that this was a bad implementation, but i agree it should not be changed. And +1 dex can make you a ninja god. 25 dex ling druid anyone? Or how about a 24 dex pally... or 24 dex gnome mage??? those are all ninja gods.... hell, 26 dex ling druid with 15 str wouldnt be too bad.. or a 25 dex mage with kinda lame armor...(feathered boots+ring)

anyways, i just think that it was a big bit too much... 10 ac ring would have been better imo... and you could complain thats redic, but atleast its not one of the 2 main stats in the game being modified...

Edited by Apocalypto, 28 July 2011 - 04:30 PM.

Apocalypto

#14 Chronic

Chronic
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

l..o..l
Solstice 1a

#15 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:45 AM

Yeah, I don't think it should be changed now, I know I'd be pissed and probably quit if I owned the most valuable single item on either server and it got changed. Was just commenting that it is OP, no ifs ands or buts about it.

And I wish they would have started putting out not boring questies before this point aside from Pandilex's stuff. lol
Autek in game.

#16 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

Most MUDs and MMORPGs have rare quest items that are significantly more powerful than anything else in the game. Nightmist multi-alt has the Inquisitor's Ring that was apparently released even before there was a crit at the level that could use it! The point is here that the effort to obtain the ring is significant and the overpowering aspect of it can be controlled because there will never be more than one of them. Unbalancing, perhaps, as it does give them an edge in battle, but not make them invincible against a skilled opponent or just plain luck. Whoever the owner is, be proud of your possession.

#17 Chronic

Chronic
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:17 AM

So does this make me a invincible ninja god? Damn i finnaly beat nightmist!
Solstice 1a

#18 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:41 AM

So does this make me a invincible ninja god? Damn i finnaly beat nightmist!

... Unbalancing, perhaps, as it does give them an edge in battle, but NOT make them invincible against a skilled opponent or just plain luck. ...

#19 Chronic

Chronic
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

Lol, i know im not but i like how some ppl think i em just bcuz of the ring.

Are they gonna complain about a lvl 39 theif clicking lvl 30s more now?

Round and round we go
Solstice 1a

#20 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:36 AM

It will be significantly unbalanced on a 39 dwarf thief, but could be way worse combinations...40 ling pally would would be a boss... BTW I'm just voicing my opinion... not trying to annoy you in anyway as it does add fun to the game and I would have jizzed in my pants if I got the ring.. just saying it was possibly a lil over the top
Apocalypto

#21 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

LOL - DEX MODS ARE A BIG ADVANTAGE IN THE WILD! Due to having extra dex!
Apocalypto

#22 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'd like a 28 dex ling cleric with 202 armor.

That would be an unkillable ninja god.

#23 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Another thing to consider is that this probably cripples a lot of new items in the future in terms of stat mods because you don't want this to stack with much else. At least not dexterity. :lol:
Autek in game.

#24 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

No it doesnt. :lol:

#25 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

That was just what I took from the above. . . I understand he meant that that was why there was only one particular ring dropped during that quest, but if there couldn't be more dropped during that quest because their stacking would be considered OP, what would make it okay to drop more even at a later date? :lol:
Autek in game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users