• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:48 AM

This suggestion has probably taken many shapes and forms over the years... but here is my description of it...

Might I make the suggestion that Fighters have the ability to sometimes parry an enemy player's mêlée attacks, similar to how a Mage counterspells enemy spells? e.g. from the Fighter's point of view... "Player1 tried to attack you with his Halberd, but you successfully parried the attack." ... and the attacker's... "You tried to attack Player2 with your Halberd, but Player2 parried your attack." Note this should only work against regular attacks... not spells, Rapid Fire, Assassinate, or any of the other abilities that serve similar functions.

The chance of a successful parry could be dictated by the Fighter's level (your combat experience), the opponent's level (their combat experience), the base damage of the Fighter's weapon (a strong sword would parry better than a Quarterstaff), their Intelligence (foresight; knowledge of combat methods) or Dexterity (speed of bringing in your weapon to stop the attack)... or a mixture of a number of these quantities; the chance should still be fairly low, as they wear very heavy armour anyway.

If it is not possible to implement this into Nightmist, would this be a suitable suggestion for Nightmist II?

Comments?
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#2 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

Well, overall I like the idea, and having the use of int to do this, many fighters now would be rerolled, for most don't have int, and people who use fighters would really want this. But not often do I see people do anything other then zerk/rapid/assassinate. As for the Nightmist or Nightmist II thing, I think it would be an excellant suggestion for Nightmist II, and for Nightmist.

#3 Da_J_Mooney

Da_J_Mooney
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:36 AM

So it would only be affective against Pallys, Clerics, and other Fighters? We all know that a Thief that can Assassinate isn't going to regular attack a fighter...
Aequitas In-Game

#4 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:48 AM

So it would only be affective against Pallys, Clerics, and other Fighters? We all know that a Thief that can Assassinate isn't going to regular attack a fighter...

Druids as well when they're morphed or just using regular attack unmorphed can be parried.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#5 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:29 AM

Hmm, parry would avoid a little armor, I think, since you parried his attack, he might stumble forward and you'll get a cheap shot, but realistic stuff isn't for Nightmist all the time, now is it?

#6 Evergrey

Evergrey
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:13 AM

Might I make the suggestion that Fighters have the ability to sometimes parry an enemy player's mêlée attacks, similar to how a Mage counterspells enemy spells?

Read this again please, and refrain from posting unless you read the entire post...

For those of you who don't understand.

Mages rarely counterspell Rapid fires/berserks/assassinations/regular attacks.
Thus Parry... <as stated above> Would only "parry" regular attacks. <Same way Mages only can counterspell magical attacks? *Hint Hint*!!!>

Idiots
ass, cretin, dimwit, dumb ass, dunce, fool, halfwit, ignoramus, imbecile, jackass, jerk, moron, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, simpleton, stupid, twit, Idiot

#7 Evergrey

Evergrey
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:14 AM

Previous statement was for you.
And as for thief users not using regular attacks... do I have to get into that?

Edited by Evergrey, 11 January 2005 - 01:15 AM.

ass, cretin, dimwit, dumb ass, dunce, fool, halfwit, ignoramus, imbecile, jackass, jerk, moron, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, simpleton, stupid, twit, Idiot

#8 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:31 AM

All this would serve is the further weakening of pallys.

#9 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:04 PM

supported - would be good to give fighters a lil more zing
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#10 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

wot about berserk/smite attacks.... there pretty much someone swinging a sword/halberd ect

#11 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:31 AM

All this would serve is the further weakening of pallys.

This is not about the discussion of Paladins, but since a Paladin is part Fighter, perhaps it should possess parrying skills, although not as strong as the Fighters'.

As for Berserk and Smite... I imagine them to be too... berserk... to be easily parried. If a Berserker berserked in real life, it would probably appear as a blur as it leaps towards you with its weapon swinging wildly, but aimed in your general direction... not something easily parried.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#12 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:40 AM

No way sherlock. My point was that the main threats to fighters (meaning they are completely dominated by them) are currently rangers, thieves, and berserkers; none of which are affected by this. All it will do is make fighter vs pally and fighter vs fighter duels last a few seconds longer.

Watch your language - Crane

Edited by Crane, 14 January 2005 - 01:30 AM.

#13 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:08 PM

Rangers and thiefs yes, but zerks no - fighters have a fairly even chance of taking a zerk out - well if the fighter had ok equip and the zerk dosnt have a bot and is not spelled up
The bigest threat i have found to a fighter is a mage -
snoopy - 5stat full wiz big hp
mage takes me down to at least half health normally down to about 100 in the first round
my answer? 6 clicks of absorbed attacks and the od hit of 20 orso
its happend to me countless times.

Tho this dosnt help as u cant really parray a beam of light lol
maybe fighter sun glass's with Uv protection? lol

Perhaps instead of parray there is a higher % chance to 'Dodge the blow'
As fighters are masters of hand to hand combat it stands they should be able to get out of the way of big hitters.

Edited by Snoopy, 14 January 2005 - 01:12 PM.

If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#14 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:43 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to put mages in my post, but I acknowledge them as a major fighter slaughter house also.
(and I disagree with you about the zerkers, but I won't get into that on this topic)

#15 Tom

Tom
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:35 PM

excellent idea - got my thumbs up.
Feck Off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users