State Of Nightmist

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Shera

Shera
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

Hey ;) What's going on with the game? I used to love playing but now i can barely log on without being annoyed. Wheres the new area's, items, monsters for 1alt. 1alt is basically the game now, so do something with it. Balance the classes. Bring new class specific items in.

DONT TELL ME ITS TOO DIFFICULT BECAUSE ITS NOT. TRIAL AND ERROR.

I have been around for awhile, and its a shame too see such a good game going to waste.

If you need any help just ask. 1alt could be made awesome within a few weeks. :ph34r:

Lots of love, Jase.

- AWOL untill the game is improved </3
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. - Paul Fix

#2 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

I knew something like this would come up eventually, either a post like this or one about forum nazis :ph34r:

I think you're right.. in a way.

It's not too difficult to change the game, but it isn't exactly easy. Classes have to be balanced, etc etc. 1a messed a lot of this up, so its still in the process of being fixed. As far as I can figure, a lot of the staff members weren't aware 1-alt was going to be released, it was just released. So they have had to fix a lot of the stuff in main which'd mess up 1a (e.g. being able to sell museum keys in ss for 11k, playing pacifists, etc etc).

Best thing for you to do really would be to try suggest some stuff that could be changed? One man can do alot really mate, look at Alan. He's a mess, but we all love him (in a completely straight way) and he suggests things every day. Numerous suggestions of his have been put ingame, and he pushes for things to get done - why I respect him so much.

I agree 1alt could be made awesome within a few weeks, but everyone has to put something towards it really. Yes, staff have been appointed to help run the game, but it isn't solely their jobs to improve the game - players have the power of speech, so they can make it better in that way.

Think to yourself..

What exactly is the problem?
What can be changed to fix this problem?
What can I do to fix this problem?

.. and maybe problems which only the playerbase of 1alt can see can be brought to attention, and they can be fixed. I don't play 1a enough to know these type of things, but it's just my view on it.
Disaster ingame.

#3 Shera

Shera
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

classes can be balanced by new items asmuch as they can be balanced by editing the code. This is simple and would be easy to draw up. Id just need a few test crits and a few items.

Also building area's is not a problem. Its just not happening.

Currently as a player i dont see myself being able to help at all. Maybe hire a few more staff specifically with area design and balancing as there primary role.

(This is all directed at 1alt)

<3

Jase
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. - Paul Fix

#4 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

I wanna develop areas :ph34r:

#5 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

Haha, pay heed to the clarion cry of the downtrodden masses, if indeed we still qualify as masses...

Hear the man. We gots the awesomest ideas. Just gotta let it happen.

Respect to Kier for the word up homes :ph34r:

seriously though

WE WANT TO HELP. GIVE US MORE WAYS OF DOING IT!

Edited by Raylen, 26 July 2008 - 09:14 PM.

+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#6 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

WE WANT TO HELP. GIVE US MORE WAYS OF DOING IT!

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

JLH once said, "Nm will run for as long as there are people to play it", or words to that affect. People are here, and people are trying to play it - but they need stuff to play, on both servers by the looks of things.

I know SO many people who want to help Nightmist along. There are 1295 topic in suggestions alone (not counting improvements and NM development), and im not saying each suggestion is epic and immeadiately has to be put ingame, but there are some damn good suggestions in there. And each topic has been made by someone trying to help Nightmist in some shape or form..
Disaster ingame.

#7 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

If you wanted 3 new staff, you could certainly do worse than me, Jase and Alex. heh.

#8 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

For 1a i'd agree.

Gaddy seems to be handling both the forum and multi more than well enough, so I don't think that any more staff are really needed over that side, but it would be interesting to see what difference could be made.

I like Alan for a staff job, he's grown up, he has experience both sides of the game, he is loyal, fair and has all the equalities I personally would look for in a staffer - and all the qualities that the current staff members have - it is just a shame so many of them have left the staff team or are inactive.

Jase is a good guy, i'd vouch for him, same with Alex. I don't know either of them as well as Alan, but as far as I can tell they seem pretty safe..

Then again, there are others on 1a which would make a difference too..
Disaster ingame.

#9 Shera

Shera
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

Its just irritating me now people are just accepting the game for what it is. We should make it better, we should all contribute. Even if you dont appoint new staff for 1alt, just think about it.

#10 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

Its just irritating me now people are just accepting the game for what it is. We should make it better, we should all contribute. Even if you dont appoint new staff for 1alt, just think about it.

what i understand at the moment is that Wes has to decide aout stuff like that butsince Wes is gone for ages cuz of rl things nothing can be done by staff.
Even in death my hate will go on

#11 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

If you wanted 3 new staff, you could certainly do worse than me, Jase and Alex. heh.

I don't think they could do any worse than me lol

I'm just an idea guy. Besides, I don't need to be staph to be able to make areas.

Uber 1a area, coming up.

#12 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

Just walk away. 1-Alt was doomed from day one. Non-admin staff gave no input, had little chance to mould it, and never had any idea at all that it was coming. Only a full reset would fully be able to fix and balance it, and really, that will just drive away more players if that's possible. Who wants to start their level 35 all over again?

Although new staff and areas will sustain interest and add a bit of fun to it, but long term, it's mooseed.

Edited by Thunderja, 29 July 2008 - 10:48 AM.

I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#13 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5242 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

Just walk away. 1-Alt was doomed from day one. Non-admin staff gave no input, had little chance to mould it, and never had any idea at all that it was coming. Only a full reset would fully be able to fix and balance it, and really, that will just drive away more players if that's possible. Who wants to start their level 35 all over again?

Although new staff and areas will sustain interest and add a bit of fun to it, but long term, it's mooseed.

.....I'm starting to see this in a different light. As the game continues, it appears to balance itself fairly well. There are desparities in character power and gold, but those differences come from players putting in tons of work on individual characters, and other players are able to work to get on that same plateau.
.....Now, it is not designed for single character play, and that puts a harsh limit and demand on people who play it. This cannot be fully fixed without a reset and major overhaul, but it does not seem to be a major problem right now. The game functions just fine in all reality.

.....It might not seem as highly developed, complex, or demanding/1-alt-able as it ought to be, but not everything has to be highly complex. It's a game, and it appeals to quite a few people. When they actually group and hit things, it does have full complexity, and when they play alone, the game is limited, but still vast and fairly interesting.

.....If people enjoy the game, I hardly think it is 'doomed'. It just isn't fully balanced as we'd naturally consider. However, it is a different game, so perhaps it is balanced in it's own way. It doesn't seem like anything is too slanted or disjointed.

.....Players have even been able to fully explore the game, which suprised me somewhat. The only problem will be if a lot of people quit, but we've had a pretty solid playerbase on the server. Quite a few active players and several highly active players...that's all the game really needs to sustain in a fully playable manner.

I got really frustrated by not being able to tab or put in spaces. I just want to be able to write in a sensible way with paragraps and indentation. I don't know why a forum wouldn't make it simple.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#14 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

I don't think it is doomed really, but I think more thought should've been put into the releasing of it, it would've fixed a lot of the problems that we are encountering at the moment..

I see what you mean about the tab thing. I thought I had it sussed, but it was an indent not a line break or whatever it's called.

Edited by Äññöÿäñcë, 29 July 2008 - 03:49 PM.

Disaster ingame.

#15 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

Modern writing doesn't require indentation.

We're still waiting for guilds.

#16 Payne

Payne
  • Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

Game hasnt been fully explored theres still untouched bosses
Astinus on 1alt Only

#17 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

hardly, from what i can tell the only main untapped boss is the credenza..

and thats going down soon anyway.

i dont even know if dvergar is on 1a, so i can't comment on that - neither the pally area. but if dvergar is on 1a you can't expect it to be taken down any time soon due to the fact two 31+ parties of twenty have trouble doing it.. and thats all equipped with cobalts / 8 years of work.
Disaster ingame.

#18 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5242 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

Dvergar Stronghold is not on 1-alt, and there is no plan to put it on that server. I do not believe it will be done...
I do not believe Shifting Sands is on 1-alt either.

Technically, the paladin area should be on that server since it was made far in advance of the 1-alt server release, but I have no idea what data JLH used by the end. Yes, more thought pre-opening would definately have helped the 1-alt server.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#19 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

To my knowledge, the world map of the 1-alt server was an exact carbon copy of the multi-alt server. The two have diverged a little in time, namely Shifting Sands, the Nightmist Rooftops and the Dvergar Stronghold on the multi-alt server, the different level requirements for the Spider Tunnels and the Catacombs and, um... what is actually unique on 1-alt (not counting quest areas)? I heard a rumour that there was a dragon at the summit of Jahanna's Peak, which is where the Dvergar Stronghold entrance is on the multi-alt server, but I have not seen it myself yet.

Funny... they say that little development will occur on the multi-alt server, and yet it is that server that gets all of the new areas!

I am still surprised that more people do not go to Castle Darksparrow though; I would have thought that a Paladin using a Sword of Light will be greatly sought after in places. Plenty of people go to Tirantek to level up, so plenty of opportunities to grab a Seal of Betrayal or two.

The Credenza will be a very hard boss to access because of the 'keys' required to access the area and the number of 'critical points' present (e.g. if you lose your Mages, it is very hard to escape from the area; if you lose the crit carrying the Seal of Kiaransalee [assuming it did not drop], you cannot get to the Credenza; if you get careless and accidentally kill a friendly NPC, you cannot progress until it respawns [which takes time!]). The other thing, as a couple of players have pointed out, it is very easy to run out of mana down there.

Edited by Crane, 29 July 2008 - 11:55 PM.

The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#20 Wind

Wind

Kevbear <3

• Members
  • 1021 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

I agree with Jared for the first time ever I think. Its doomed. :ph34r:
Cry me a river!

Character Name: Wind on both servers!

#21 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

What sense does it make to add more content when the current playerbase is so small that it could not possibly hope to support the current geography. Close off areas, remove speed bumps (KTP, excessive boss hp), concentrate the population, force unintentional interaction, time it so it coincides with a grass roots campaign (if RoK can top MPOGD than so can we), and pray that it gives new players the impression of dynamic world worth playing. New players see what now? A series of ghost towns? An entire ghost server? The definition of an idiot is someone who does the same thing repeatedly, each time expecting a different result.
Evil report carries further than any applause

#22 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

What sense does it make to add more content when the current playerbase is so small that it could not possibly hope to support the current geography. Close off areas, remove speed bumps (KTP, excessive boss hp), concentrate the population, force unintentional interaction, time it so it coincides with a grass roots campaign (if RoK can top MPOGD than so can we), and pray that it gives new players the impression of dynamic world worth playing. New players see what now? A series of ghost towns? An entire ghost server? The definition of an idiot is someone who does the same thing repeatedly, each time expecting a different result.

His member number does imply his personality and intelligence

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#23 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Äññöÿäñcë, 08 August 2008 - 05:30 PM.

Disaster ingame.

#24 Shera

Shera
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Serious jase deemed this thread serious. Nightmist is still not fixed. Anyone that played rok, im Sieep. I could drag so many players into the game, but whats the point while its like this. The only reason people play rok is because its better. It doesnt have to be, but people are letting this game die. Some of the older players will know i have experience running and balancing games. It just makes it even more frustrating for me! :ph34r:

<3

Jase

#25 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

Lets not start a RoK NM comparison. I don't think people are letting this game die as much as they are acknowledging the fact that it is not as vibrant and full of life as it was before. Even though the game continues to expand, people are still leaving, so the problem is not that it lacks content. Think about it, from 2003 to 2008, five years, NM has been on a steady population decline, but continued to expand geographically and content-wise.

Think of the game as having it's own biosphere and different playing styles as different species that support it. For an example, look at how Yellowstone has changed since wolves were reintroduced; an MMO is not that different from a macro level. In NM, the expanding geography and power requirements to acquire items moved herds of hard-core grinders far away from the central points of the map, which made them more difficult to pk, which made pkers more prone to prey on players in more populated sections of the map, which drove them out further or to quit, meanwhile NM restricts pking in a way that allows grinders to come back to town even less, thus new players see hardly any activity and pkers become more idle. Over a long timeline, the only playing style that is supportable is that of a minority of power players who are now the game's standard, but hardly a typical playing style or an attractive offer for large audiences of potential players. Of course then we make 1a, which takes the remaining players and forces them to be spread out even further in relation to the ease in which players can come in contact with eachother. But Sieep has experience balancing games. What's really surprising to me is that our solutions are all the same thing, over and over again. More levels? More areas? Blue Steel? More classes? Ferrari? More staff? Another server?

Posted Image

It's all the same thing! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!

Edited by EvilDognapot, 09 August 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#26 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5242 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

The same solution isn't what we're always doing. It's what people always demand.

Things like setting up the NOPK worked for a while, but now we're seeing a lag in any activity on the multi server. I don't know why and stuff. Do you have any actual suggestions, or is it your opinion that we've run the game into the ground?

#27 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

The same solution isn't what we're always doing. It's what people always demand.

Things like setting up the NOPK worked for a while, but now we're seeing a lag in any activity on the multi server. I don't know why and stuff. Do you have any actual suggestions, or is it your opinion that we've run the game into the ground?

Well I've been saying why for a long time, but anyhow, we basically need to undo a lot. So maybe it has been run into the ground, because how do you take away lvls 30-40? How do you shut off access to half of NM's map? My first post in this thread is pretty much what I see as needed to give NM another chance but we would need a lot of people to offset the immediate power disparity that comes with lvls 30+, but there are ways around it. However most of them would severely piss off the players who have been most loyal over the years. Whatever we can't undo, we need to make irrelevant, this includes a ton of areas, area level restrictions, pk restrictions, additional levels, we need to start flushing gold out of players too, but the point of it is to create an environment that makes players feel like the world is alive, and worth exploring. Even if there's less places to explore, part of the fun of MMO's is social exploration, exploring the relationships made with new people. Even when NM was 1/3 as large as it is now, you could be surprised at what you found in the same old places. I could go on in more detail, but I'll probably save that for a more appropriate venue than this thread.

#28 BinLaden

BinLaden
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:19 AM

The state of Nightmist is doing very well. Please don`t let the option of players who have not played in years, but still find the need to talk about the game as if they have a clue cloud your mind.

Evildognapot's forum account should of been deleted when his account went inactive. Great player in his time. Many of us just wish he'd find other ways to spend his time. . .

#29 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:47 AM

The state of Nightmist is doing very well. Please don`t let the option of players who have not played in years, but still find the need to talk about the game as if they have a clue cloud your mind.

Evildognapot's forum account should of been deleted when his account went inactive. Great player in his time. Many of us just wish he'd find other ways to spend his time. . .

Shows how much you know, I was never a great player. The only reason people believe that was because prominent players were my friends, and the only reason I was initially introduced to them was because I was good at gaming the system and stopping other people from doing the same. That's all. It really goes to show how NM works. My playing style was totally without class, but most people just follow the leader so I never got grief for it. Of course we could just take opinions based on the size of the opinion's account, but that's pretty much what we have been doing all this time, and well, look where that got us. I've been a participant and an observer over this long decline and still have clue or two left at how things work.

#30 Shera

Shera
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

Fixing the game.

1. Re-design the multi map. Restrict it too 5 alts per person, and reset the entire damn thing. Concentrate ALOT more on high end keys to access newer area's, and less on crafting to gain new items. Possibly the library function for items needs to be disabled, or have alot more items with hidden attributes. Remove the nopk on multi. Equipment needs to be a much more important factor on characters than it is now. Any current items need to be scrapped, bosses need to be entirely changed. (boss items only, storebought is fine). Restrict classes. As paci's cant be logged on with other characters, make it so you can only log on one of each class up to your 5 limit. I could go on but my girlfriend is about to get out the shower ;D.

Also i dont really want to comment on 1alt right now ;P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users