• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:26 PM

i may be wrong - and please correct me if this is already in place - but i think that the spell flame should have the same damage bonus as a torch in the swomp?
i mean it goes with the story - that the hydras feel most the lick of a torch orso - fire huts swomp things so flame should. would make training mages a lil easyer to get them going?
dunno if im wrong and they get a bonus i remove my comments.
snoop :)
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#2 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:48 PM

Makes sense for Flame to do more damage there - I'm not sure about the aspect of game balance though if it is implemented.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#3 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

Said too many times.

Isn't going to change.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#4 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:11 PM

I remember seeing this a lot on the old forum...

...If it makes you feel better, let's just say the "Flame" spell doesn't really create fire. It creates an "artificial" fire. Something that acts, looks like and feels like real fire to an untrained person...but, in reality, it's not. The beasts of the swamp know this and, as such, they don't fear it. It doesn't have any special effect on them. They fear only true fire.

...And it's blue. Fire's always cool when it's blue.
Posted Image

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:29 PM

Technically, blue-hot is the hottest type of heat (more apparent with stars), but I see your point Squee.

I may be mistaken, but I presume the Hydras are slightly flammable or something, so, even if the Flame spell only felt like fire, wouldn't it still have the same effect against something that isn't fireproof?

Regarding the Giant Mosquito Swarm though... a single fireball probably won't harm them - you need to hold a torch up and wave it around in the swarm and let the heat accumulate to have the desired effect.

Edited by Crane, 16 May 2004 - 11:31 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#6 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:45 AM

Isnt white hot the hottest?
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#7 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:39 PM

Isnt white hot the hottest?

Red-hot, yellow-hot, white-hot, blue-hot. In the order of temperature.

To be honest, it looks like Flame won't be upgraded for the Swamps.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#8 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:20 PM

It is.

#9 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:14 PM

Dont forget green-hot!

Axe body spray turns into a green flame if you use it like a flamethrower for an extended amount of time..... So someone told me :)
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#10 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:20 PM

That may just be a chemical reaction though.
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#11 Evergrey

Evergrey
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:32 AM

Isn't all fire Chemistry and Physics?
ass, cretin, dimwit, dumb ass, dunce, fool, halfwit, ignoramus, imbecile, jackass, jerk, moron, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, simpleton, stupid, twit, Idiot

#12 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:02 AM

Kim bumped a year old topic...

As for white fire... well the one thing I remember from chemistry-

Don't look at the burning magnesium.

EDIT: As to what someone mentioned about green flame, yeah that usually comes from a chemical reaction. We burned some newspapers last night and the ink caused the flame to turn green.

Edited by Sneaky, 10 July 2005 - 01:03 AM.

Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#13 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

Yes, those flame colours are due to chemistry; magnesium burns white and is extremely bright, potassium burns lilac, propane and oxygen mixed burns blue etc.

Mages' Flames are spawned from magic, not a chemical reaction, and if you ask me, the colour of the flame is decided by the surface temperature of the fireball. If you heat the end of a metal poker, it turns red, then yellow and eventually white as it gets hotter and hotter; unfortunately it melts or even turns gaseous before turning blue; the same principle goes with stars and perhaps the Mage Flame spell.

P.S. Take a good look at the stars Betelgeuse and Rigel, Orion's left shoulder and right foot respectively (unfortunately, not visible at this time of year)... Betelgeuse is red and Rigel is blue, their colour given by their temperature.

Okay, I've rambled on enough now, and this is way off topic! Mage Flame will not be changed for the swamps, and as Squee says, it is not true fire anyway so the Hydra and other swamp monsters will not feel it.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#14 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

Copper causes a green flame.

When it comes to colors aside from orange, red, white, and blue---such as fireworks, elements cause the color effect.
That's something we did an experiment with in freshman science in our Jr. High.

I later found that the wrapper of a piece of Doublemint gum will burn green (the part that is green and wraps around the individual pieces of gum and foil; it says doublemint on it).
That was a fun New Years Eve....

As far as mages flame, it'd be nice to work like a torch in swamps, but I highly doubt the change will be implemented.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#15 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

We did a whole thing on burning elements in chem my sophomore year, partially because my teacher liked to play with burning things.

Cobalt burns blue I believe.
Copper does burn green.
I remember some things burned purple... Sodium or Potassium stick out. Not too sure though, it was almost 2 years ago.

deimos the noob said no

#16 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:01 AM

I remember some things burned purple... Sodium or Potassium stick out. Not too sure though, it was almost 2 years ago.

Sodium burns orange and Potassium burns lilac (purple) - and that is all the Science you will get from me for now.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#17 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:11 AM

Teach me more Prof. Crane!

Was right-on with the potassium though :P my chem teacher would be proud.

I might actually open my AP chem book to check for more burning colors...and maybe do some of my summer work ^_^.

deimos the noob said no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users