Speech - Normal Chat

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:46 PM

I think it might be a good idea to impose a level restriction (Level 10) before someone is able to page or speak in normal chat. This would deter players making stupidly named level 1's, and spamming or yelling abuse.

Sure they could still train to level 10 then do it, but it would still be a deterant from doing it.
I am the Dragon, before me you Tremble!

#2 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:47 PM

It makes sense in one perspective, but coming to this game as a new player and not being able to talk (ask for help etc.) would be kind of aggravating.
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#3 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:49 PM

Hmm...point taken. Maybe then players would use the tutorial section, and the help function.

#4 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:06 PM

Hmm...point taken. Maybe then players would use the tutorial section, and the help function.

Stop dreaming.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#5 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:18 PM

Honestly though I think that the idea is reasonable. I really do get tired of the level ones and such that sit around paging me or yelling stupid things and what not. I also get tired of the level ones that ask for gold, but thats a nub trying to get some help. I don't think it could be put into game for all crits because when i helped my friend out he needed to be able to talk to me though pages and stuff, really wouldn't make sense for him not to be able to at that time.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#6 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:56 PM

an rpg where players can't talk, lol
no
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#7 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:59 PM

An rpg where players don't rp, lol.

Oh my.. I can see me getting in poo... Quickly, onto the subject matter.

Thinking about it, it couldn't hurt to disable the /yell ability until level 10? They have little use for it, other than selling Fur Coats.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#8 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:22 AM

no

An RPG where you can play a throng of characters all at once??
:)

Just disable paging and yelling at baby levels, because really, no-one is gonna travel half the map to give the lil' ones gold anyway.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#9 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:41 AM

maybe just for level 1's?
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#10 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 01:58 AM

i don't get it, this is the most stupid idea i've heard in ages, and a lot of you seem to like it.
it's not happening!
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#11 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:03 AM

at least no yelling and paging for lvl 1s... they get very annoying

#12 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:30 AM

i don't get it, this is the most stupid idea i've heard in ages, and a lot of you seem to like it.
it's not happening!

:blink:

That's the most fire I've seen in your belly in... ever, young man!
/me scruffs JLH's hair.

Meanwhile, I'd say thats a pretty concise answer. :)
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#13 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:36 AM

JLH if you sat at SGH for a while, or in a tavern. Or if you made yourself available to be paged you would see why a lot of the players like the idea.

The reason why you think it's a stupid idea, is because you have little to none experience in training and actually playing the game which is most imporant in it's development.

#14 Aidon

Aidon
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:39 AM

I find the older players to be more trouble with stupid banter then the younger ones mostly.

#15 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:40 AM

i would guess, that most of the "newbies" would stop talking if someone would reply to them, i have noticed while sitting on various squares full of various people that a vast proportion of the community just flat out refuses to help new players. that to me is not acceptable, but i can't make you help other people.

#16 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:41 AM

I agree to a certain extent, but they usually make initiates. Hence, why the restriction would possible solve the problem.

Edit: Or perhaps hire players who are online a lot with knowledge of the game, give them a different colour on /who list, but be a normal character. Then make it their jobs to help out newer players. Then monitor the performance.

Edited by Eternyte, 24 February 2004 - 10:44 AM.

#17 S3it0*

S3it0*
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:58 AM

love that idea :) id use it quite frequently myself

#18 Xien Pk

Xien Pk
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:22 PM

no

An RPG where you can play a throng of characters all at once??
:)

Just disable paging and yelling at baby levels, because really, no-one is gonna travel half the map to give the lil' ones gold anyway.

I would...
Wew7zorxx

#19 Xien Pk

Xien Pk
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:33 PM

I agree to a certain extent, but they usually make initiates. Hence, why the restriction would possible solve the problem.

Edit: Or perhaps hire players who are online a lot with knowledge of the game, give them a different colour on /who list, but be a normal character. Then make it their jobs to help out newer players. Then monitor the performance.

I would very willingly do this.

Edit: Maybe you could also have a special chat for people that have new crits, like when a crit is made for the first time, automatically have this chat on, and send a pop-up to them saying that if they want, or need help, they can type '/help <Message>'. And if anybody that can help (sombody thats signed up for the 'help channle') They can then recive the help. Also send a warning that it is not there to obtaine gold / items (So that the people that help can offer their help, not their gold, if they don't want to that is...)

Edit (Secondary): How could we have people sign up for this?.. I think that we could add a thing into the Crit Options, and have it be for all of your crits if you want... Maybe, it's just a suggestion.

Edited by Xien Pk, 24 February 2004 - 02:33 PM.

Wew7zorxx

#20 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:11 PM

I love the idea of helping new players where I can. But you'll realise, it can become very mundain (sp?) after the tenth person.. And it's even more annoying when you spend over an hour helping someone out, jsut for them to say "Well, this game looks like it sucks" and quit there and then.

I would suggest however, that you make a new post for this, if you are serious about it.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#21 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:52 PM

the idea of players "acting in a staff roll", while reasonable in itself to help players, will become very annoying for the people doing so.
the staff as it is get an insane amount of rubbish from players, which is why i am automating as much as possible, limiting communication with staff as much as possible (and you wonder why we cloak...)
and don't say "but i can help and won't get bored of it", trust me, after the 10th moron asks you where to find X item, and will you help them get it, you'll get fed up too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users