Depth To The Game

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:59 AM

if you look at the posts, many people think that theres not alot of depth in the game and i agree ...

so heres few ideas to make it better ( some had been posted )

1.night and day ( coming )

2.pk:ing inside towns ( see thieves dicussion on this forum
link: thieves dicussion

3.more spells and abilities ( spells/abilites that makes sense )

4.could lvl over 30 ( still the same exp to get 30 lvl )

5.npc driven quests,more story to quests other than kill the boss ( this has been posted on the old forum, ppl liked it me aswell. )

6.quild quests ( npc driven, would get exp )

7.extremely rare items ( only 1 in the game ... if u get killed, the crit that killed u gets it )

post new ones :)

Edited by Cule, 04 March 2004 - 12:18 PM.

#2 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:29 PM

PKing inside a town will not happen. Unless somewhere like Pern Valley is made again.

More spells and abilities take a long time to code. They are added from time to time. Just wait and I'm sure something will be added in the next big update.

I think level 30 is fine. Going over would only grant people more power against the newer players.

I would imagine NPC driven quests are very hard to code, but not impossible. But once you've done the quest. That's it.. You'll just get bored again.

New items are being made all the time. I do however, like the idea of gaining a weapon after killing that person. But what if they just store it? Or delete it?

EDIT:
Made the spacing better, was too hard to read.

Edited by alone, 04 March 2004 - 12:29 PM.

"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#3 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:31 PM

:)

you kinda hit me to the ground once again.

post new ideas. i made this topic to summarise everything that had been suggested ( major chances ) and new ones ... ima trying to help here .... dont be so hard on me. :blink:

Edited by Cule, 04 March 2004 - 12:34 PM.

#4 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:21 PM

If they store the item, they don't get the benefit of using it i assume.

And one thing i know has been suggested before - at level 30 (or maybe even at say 500 mil exp) you can "reset" your character, or perhaps be "reborn" - with one stat (randomly?) increased by one. I don't know if i'd bother doing this though...maybe if i ever rolled a 6 stat. Meh, maybe it's not such a great idea, lol. :)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#5 Guest_Angelus_*

Guest_Angelus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:57 PM

I like that idea, make a boss which spawns ones a week and make it drop some kinda uber weapon (not too uber ofcourse). But whenever a person gets killed who had the weapon equiped, the weapon will go to the one that killed that person.

#6 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:15 PM

Sorry Cule. I wasn't meaning any of that in a bad way. Just my input (not very helpful).

I like the idea of a once a week weapon, and that whole concept. But surely it'd only be a small group who get the weapon. And with the way fights go right now, it won't ever go far, like into the hands of a newer player. It's only something that'll benefit the higher end of the market.
Which isn't always bad, I suppose.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#7 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:31 PM

It's hard to have depth in a 2d game.

Westcoast

#8 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:34 PM

I think level 30 is fine. Going over would only grant people more power against the newer players.

depends how you define power, since there is a level 10 pk cap :)
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#9 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:18 PM

depends how you define power, since there is a level 10 pk cap :blink:

People with say, 10 archmaster characters (or any number.. 1 will do). Continue to train them higher. As they get higher, they hit for more, as they hit for more, they can kill monsters easier, they can get gold easier.
Gold spent on items that increase their power, increasing their power to kill the same monsters they got the gold from :)

In the past, you've said yourself it'd increase the gap between newer and older players.

I wasn't refering to PKing in anyway, as it'd have very little effect on PKing (except for making archmasters fearful).

So, by power. I mean the ability to kill monsters for ones own gain.

Edited by alone, 04 March 2004 - 05:19 PM.

- AfterAll

Bunny!

#10 Angel

Angel
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 07:03 PM

So, by power. I mean the ability to kill monsters for ones own gain.

Power is much more subtle than the ability to kill puny creatures....
It hurts sometimes more than we can bear,
if we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace,
empty rooms, shuttered and dank,
without passion we'd be truly dead.

#11 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:29 PM

PKing in town... HAHAHA!!! people moan enough when they get PKed OUT OF town.

other than that... yer, i agree. But i don't get this Day and Night thing, it's a text-based game... how will this have effect on the game?

#12 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:04 PM

RPing you can RP consitantly if the game says the time of day not just what you see outside because the person across the room (in NM) might think it is day where you think it is night.
Chairman of The Warriors of The Mist, The Great and Powerful Wizard

Skippy the Peanut Butter Fiend.

#13 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:57 PM

Day, night and the weather.

These things could be added for simple RP purposes. They don't have to do anything, really.
Posted Image

#14 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:51 PM

no offense to anybody, but i don't see alot of RP going on in the game, and anybody that even tries (ive seen it happen, don't deny it), gets flamed, and labled as a 'noob' or retard.

#15 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 01:52 AM

times and weather situations could present tactical disadvantages and advantages for different classes and or races.
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#16 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 01:57 AM

no offense to anybody, but i don't see alot of RP going on in the game, and anybody that even tries (ive seen it happen, don't deny it), gets flamed, and labled as a 'noob' or retard.

I know... >_>

But we still have the RP forum? Woot woot?
Posted Image

#17 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:00 AM

Adding 'depth' to Nightmist would be a lot harder than it sounds....

Sure a lot of you have some great ideas that would really work well with Nightmist, but you have got to understand that when you change something, the chance of it working perfectly with everything else is a slim.

What I mean is, if you change something it's probably going to effect the way something else works, and whether that be in a good way or a bad way is never certain, which is why ideas need to be fully considered from every possible angle to make sure they can work properly with the current system.

My point is that even though it seems like adding new things to the game should be relevatively simple (ignoring coding times) more things effect everything else than you realise, and sooner or later adding something that seems good could end up screwing around with some of the fun aspects of the game that people take for granted.

I'm not saying this is always the case but I think some of you should consider the ideas you post properly, looking at every different aspect of the change before you post them, which would save a lot of time.

As a reply to one of the posts I read on this topic to do with Night and Day -
I personally like the idea of night and day.
With night and day comes endless possibilities, such as
monsters that can only spawn at day/night,
some shops only open at certain times,
thieves can covert and move without using stamina at night possibly,
when moving around the world at night dropped items will only appear on the square if you /look for them,
to add an even greater challenge, some players/monsters will only appear on the square if you /look at night
going by the ideas above, some races/classes could get the skill that allows them to see better in the dark, and so won't have to look on each square to see items and enemies.
/spy would not work at night.
/spy would see 2 squares in either direction in the day..

Obviously all these ideas would need to be approved to go into the game, but the idea of night and day is a good one and should be developed further.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#18 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:24 AM

Agreed, night and day and weather affecting how characters/items perform would be pretty awesome :)

Edited by Raylen, 05 March 2004 - 11:24 AM.

+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#19 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:28 AM

i think night and day brings enough excitment to the game ... but what i care ... ima gonna quit playing soon i think *sight*

#20 dognapot

dognapot
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:26 PM

yeah nightmist is a bore, but it seems that it's so far along in it's development that it's now too late to change? every big change that could potentially make the game better is going to piss off a large portion of players. for example...

adding weapons variety and random drops. say for a crit there is a gray area above max stats that is attainable by all players. right now it's about +2 of a few stats, but how about introducing random drops that add a stat for various levels and classes. this would make trade more interesting and offer an opportunity for characters to individualize themselves just a tad. however, it'll piss of everyone who 'worked hard' for thier amulets and gauntlets and wouldn't fly right by alot of people for that reason. there's also smithing, craftsmenship which would modify weapons to the same effect, but wouldn't work for a multitude of reasons.

then there's solo nightmist. nightmist where you are one person at a time. it could give many opportunities for individualization and a practically enforced RP enviroment (if only because you're one person). however, it's too much work or something and alot of people have trouble comprehending that it wouldn't affect thier 'hard work' too run another slightly different nightmist simultaneously. in addition to that it would take coding time and new area development which isn't going to happen.

then there's npc quests, but that's not going to happen for the same reasons as above. in order to not be crappy there'll have to be minimal coding and hellacious area building for quests that maybe only a portion of nightmist would get to enjoy.

just about every bold new idea can be tossed out here in nightmist due to a set of, now, highly predictable factors: time, effort, stupidity. any complex idea with potential to reshape the game is either too much work, is too time consuming, or cannot be understood well enough by the playerbase to make them to care.

Edited by dognapot, 05 March 2004 - 06:28 PM.

wouldn't it be funny if rich had registered this name first, and you were bickering with him?

#21 Magoo

Magoo
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:45 PM

nice thought .. i wish staff would take action on some of the ideas cus i see alot of the same things posted by people on how to improve the game and then never see it ingame
Skills pay the bills and ur dead Broke

#22 dognapot

dognapot
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:55 PM

they're busy people, and like most folks who play the game, probably have better things to do than nightmist.
wouldn't it be funny if rich had registered this name first, and you were bickering with him?

#23 Fusion

Fusion
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:58 PM

dognapot you look like a hobo. Off topic but i had to say it.

Nightmist would be cooler with a little map in the screen for the new players to like it more. I've tried to get a few friends to start up but they get confused and then give up. To put a map on the skin would make the new players understand where they are and where they need to go.

My friend has 10 hours gametime on his crit because he is still stuck in Tribal Street.... level 1 still.

#24 Guest_Angelus_*

Guest_Angelus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:52 PM

My friend has 10 hours gametime on his crit because he is still stuck in Tribal Street.... level 1 still.

10 hours? You have some dumbass friends...

#25 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:19 AM

PKing in town... HAHAHA!!! people moan enough when they get PKed OUT OF town.

other than that... yer, i agree.  But i don't get this Day and Night thing, it's a text-based game... how will this have effect on the game?

Ever wonder how long it takes your character to get hungry?

Hehe

Edit: Dog, you have to stop getting to these posts before I do.... Took the words right outta my mouth... (Put them a little more eloquently than I may have...)

Edited by Bean, 06 March 2004 - 01:22 AM.

Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#26 Flux

Flux
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:13 AM

dognapot you look like a hobo. Off topic but i had to say it.

Nightmist would be cooler with a little map in the screen for the new players to like it more. I've tried to get a few friends to start up but they get confused and then give up. To put a map on the skin would make the new players understand where they are and where they need to go.

A. Go see the Big Lebowski

B. It's a MUD, dude. If he really wants to get around, tell him to get some graph paper and do it like it's been done for the last fifteen years.

As to all the inquiries regarding changes to the game, I can resolutely say that in-game depth is the greatest priority on my staff agenda at this moment, and I believe it is a strong priority for the administration as well.

I have spent a great deal of time drafting formal proposals and discussing with Pandilex many ways to add additional elements of playability, depth and RP value to the game. Hopefully, you will get to experience some of these ideas in the not-too-distant future. That is to say, it's being worked on.
A good post is like a miniskirt: short enough to pertain interest and long enough to cover the subject.

#27 Shadic

Shadic
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:43 AM

I would definately like the Day-and-night idea, simply because having monsters move around and go sleep at night would be awesome!

/me imagines watching herds of bunnies moving through the grassy meadow.

#28 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

I've thought it would be cool to bring back an undead town back into the game taking ideas from Pern. I may consider doing this once my helper and myself have finished adding the monsters and request the Leprechaun area be added :)

That'll get you all wondering :blink:

#29 Amy

Amy
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

I like the idea of Night and Day.. Perhaps even carrying a torch around to get into some of the far away areas at night time.

This game is what you make it, the staff has done a great job expanding the areas around in far off places as well as certain many quests. ie. Give one npc an item to get an item needed for another area.

There are always ways to improve a game. That is what the suggest forum is for. It does not mean that everything suggested will get implemented however. (which is not always a bad thing lol).

Those who wish to roleplay, don't stop just because some in game think that you are on something. Just find someone who will play along (holler at me in game any time, will be glad to rp with you).

Travel Safely,
Amy of Draco
~With each choice comes consequences.. Choose carefully~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users