• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:56 AM

Here's the scenario:

I have no idea what NightMist is. Whilst downloading the client for the first-time I'm eagerly reading the website trying to discover any useful information. About 10 sec later I notice my download complete. Fantastic, I begin to install the game.

Complete. Now I double-click the fluffy cloud. "ohh cool this seems pretty sleek and easy."

Account: noobie4lyfe
Password: *****

Oh wait a second.... what's this...?

Main.... or 1-alt?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that is how our story ends. With confusion!

Suggestion:

Add an "About Game" link on the the site describing the contrast between the two servers. Their pros/cons. How they affect different player's gaming attitudes.

If this is agreed on and 'noted' I will glady write it all up.

P.S. - My original idea was editing the actual login screen; re-designing to that a short synopsis would be viewable from right there on the login screen! But I know this would take time and coding that we don't have right now.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#2 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

I would support some initial explanation on a help page as to which server is which. I might also suggest renaming "Main" to "Multi-alt", as, ideally, the 1-alt server should not be secondary to the multi-alt 'main' server.

A more in-depth "installation" or "Getting Started" page would certainly make things easier for newcomers. It could even be a place to put Nightmist's introduction story that once appeared on the homepage - I know copies of that still exist somewhere, about Norinth, Ewin and the first Undead Wars.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#3 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

Well actually once you log into one of the choices Main or 1 alt it explains it there.
However the line on 1 Alt "This is the 1-alt server, please co-operate with other players to achieve your goals" is a bloddy joke.

It should read "People dont cooperate on this server so fend for yourself and goodluck."
" For lunch we can have cupcakes until our little fairy tummies are content. We can all stay up to watch the sunset, then go to sleep in our little fairy beds.”

#4 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:47 AM

Most people judge the book by it's cover.

I can't see how it wouldn't be beneficial to implement a sort of 'Getting Started' guide to the main website.

[Plenty of people work together on the 1a server. Good attitude though!].

#5 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Supported. We need JLH to make any modifications to the game client though.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#6 Throwback

Throwback
  • Members
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

Well actually once you log into one of the choices Main or 1 alt it explains it there.
However the line on 1 Alt "This is the 1-alt server, please co-operate with other players to achieve your goals" is a bloddy joke.

It should read "People dont cooperate on this server so fend for yourself and goodluck."

rachel you act as if you never got invited anywhere. sorry there are enemy clans, we can't all be friends.

Vegas 1a....formerly known as Memphis
¨¨*(^.^)·:*¨¨

#7 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Alrighty then, this has recieved the support I was aiming for.

I will write the guide and submit it.

#8 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

Here you go.

http://www.magisteri.../NMGetting.html

#9 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

Personally I always felt that you should try to roll for good Charisma in a Paladin too to aid with the healing spells. They're probably the hardest to roll in all fairness if you are after a really good Paladin. Nice job with the help page though.

Would it be fair to mention that Elves make the best Pacifists, and that Pacifists are only available on the multi server? Pacifists don't really need that much Dexterity and Constitution in all honesty (at least my experiences with Europa suggest so), although the stats do indeed help.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#10 Elf

Elf
  • Game Staff
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

not sure on the reasoning behind your post to be honest.

Charisma for most classes determines how much you yourself are healed for.
With Clerics and possibly Paladins (a lil bird told me) there is a very small
difference in what you can heal others for.. 1 - 4 points per heal.

Dex and Con determine how often you are hit and how much
HP you have.. would say perfect on them 2 stats no matter the char.

and everyone knows Elfs make the bestest EVERYTHING !!

Elf :ph34r:

Meeting you was fate,
Becoming your friend was a choice,
But falling in love with you was beyond my control..

#11 Foxie

Foxie

525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year?

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

I can spot a few spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors.

reccommend -->recommend
lanch --> launch
atleast --> at least
The main server enables you to utilize (or "run") 20 characters at a time. This allows the player to solo with much more ease --> you say multi alt then use solo, could be confusing; should also be "with more ease".
mutliple --> multiple
CHRACTER -->Character
forces --> i'd use "encourages"
login to it with you're newly created password. --> your
It's a good idea to enter your e-mail address as prompted! --> say Enter your blah blah...
melee --> i'd use mêlée
recieve --> receive
balancd --> balanced
Theifs --> thief (sing.) thieves (plur.)
doing spell damage --> remove "doing"
magic attacks --> magical
only an average dexterity and strength --> remove "an"
good mages. --> you've capitalised all other classes
On main Azure/Foxie in game.
On 1a Azure, Melody, Faith, Solstice, Wylow, Hope in game.

#12 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

I prefer Emma's coverage of the differences between servers [link] for a few reasons:

- Since we are looking to include this from the login screen, I wouldn't bother with details on installing and downloading (since they have done that already).

- Most of the information in your sections on "Creating an Account" and "Account Manager" are already covered with pop-ups in the client.

- Emma gives more details on the differences between servers.

- Spelling and grammar count.

- Might as well get them to a comprehensive help site right from the very start.

#13 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I made the guide with intentions of being a resource before the player even touches the game. The reason being is that I noticed the homepage only has a "Installing" link that simply says, "To install Nightimst, first download it from the 'Download' Section. After it has downloaded, press 'Open' and follow the instructions! "

This is why I went into further details from the start. However, I do see what you're saying Trev. This was only a start and of course I'm open to editing/adding more.

Thanks again and I'm definitely open to modifying it.

#14 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

Perhaps we can have something more detailed like your write-up as part of the download instructions (off the NM website) and then a link/button to Emma's site on the front of the client.

#15 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:19 AM

That would be wonderful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users