Photo

Shields...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Should rangers be able to use shields? (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Should rangers be able to use shields?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:37 PM

In my opinion, I cannot see how a Ranger can effectively draw back a bowstring if they have a cumbersome shield on their arm. And also going by someone's suggestion that Paladins should wear heavier armour in comparison to most other classes and that Rangers should have less armour. Note, when I say "Shields", I'm not including bracers.

What are people's opinion on this?

Edited by Crane, 30 September 2004 - 11:37 PM.

The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#2 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:58 PM

As Crane said, I don't think Nightmistian Rangers would be able to draw back their bow-string with some clunky piece of iron on their arm.

I can understand if you gave Rangers some kind of small, bladed weapon that only required the flick of a wrist then gave them a shield to help block melee attacks but a bow is much more "complex" weapon and would require that nothing greater than a buckler or bracer be worn.
Posted Image

#3 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 12:25 AM

The rangers have their shields tightly attach to their "string pulling" hand so that they have their fingers loose and therefore can pull the string ...

/shrug

#4 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:06 PM

Alternative shields should be created, in the following of the Feathered Shield (but obviously of equal top their current best).
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

I mean shields similar to those used by Fighters and Paladins - I can't see how a Ranger can hold one and effectively use a bow. Alternate shields like Bracers and things that strap onto the arm rather than having to be held in place I support. The poll was mainly aimed at the shields they use at the moment.

Edited by Crane, 02 October 2004 - 08:42 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#6 Darkon

Darkon
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 06:21 PM

Maybe rangers should be able to use swords? A rose blade at the most. That way people can chose "Sword and Shield" or just a "Bow" and retain rapid fire...but rangers that would use a sword and a shield would need some kinda bonus...
Darkness is the only way, chivalry is another word for lust and desire, heroism is nothing more than demanding attention, and holy is only to control.

#7 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:22 PM

But then the Ranger will be more or less a Fighter.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#8 Darkon

Darkon
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:58 PM

Well Fighters can still get better weapons and armor, thats why a ranger with a sword would get some kinda special trait...like a special ability that can only be used while a sword is equiped.
Darkness is the only way, chivalry is another word for lust and desire, heroism is nothing more than demanding attention, and holy is only to control.

#9 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:45 PM

I agree that it makes no sense for rangers to be able to use the same shield as paladins and warriors.. rangers are supposed to be lightly clothed so they can move about freely and shoot their bows with great dexterity.

Rangers are already one of the most powerful offensive characters on Nightmist.. a slight AC reduction with a smaller shield OR bracers may even help even the classes out a bit.
BeEp!

#10 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

It might also encourage Rangers to make use of Hypnotize a bit more often. Interesting to know what the staff and administrators think of this.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#11 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:17 AM

if mages and thieves should be forced to wear bracers then so should rangers :P
If I were the rain... that binds together the Earth and the Sky, whom in all eternity will never mingle... would I be able to bind two hearts together?

#12 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 01:54 AM

rangers shouldnt be touched imo, should be worrying bout the zerks, they need some tweakin done
Primex ingame

#13 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:46 PM

Maybe they have the shield on thier back when they use the bow.
Stadic Ingame...

#14 ushka

ushka
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:53 AM

I think ditch ranger shields but make some stronger ranger only bracers?
:P

#15 Wafer

Wafer
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:38 AM

I think ditch ranger shields but make some stronger ranger only bracers?
:P

yep and/or bucklers

#16 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:01 PM

Rangers shouldn't use anything other than bracers really if you think about it. Even a buckler would be useless if you were using the hand for something else.

It would be nice if they had a quiver of arrows in place of a shield, but thats not what this is about.
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#17 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:33 PM

Im sorry for bringing up Zelda again but.....Link can have his Hylian(Spel?) Shield (For those of you who dont know whhat a hylian shield is il post a picture later.) on plus use a bow. Again as i said il post a picture of this later.

Posted Image Posted Image

Notice he is wearing a fairly large shield on his back that is offering some form of protection. Maybe not as much but some. Now if you look at the second pic you see the full shield and you see it is the shield that he is wearing on his back while using his bow. Again it is fairly large andit the kind of shield you would see a fighter wearing. Thats why i think Ranger's sheilds are fine.

EDIT: Got Pic EDIT 2: Got 2nd Pic

Edited by Sean, 24 November 2004 - 06:46 PM.

Stadic Ingame...

#18 .?.

.?.
  • Members
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:32 PM

thats zelda, not a nightmsit ranger.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.

#19 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 04:02 PM

Have you ever watched closely at how Link takes off his shield? Long answer short, he never takes it off. It magically appears strapped to his right forearm.

To take off a shield on your back, you have to take it off like a backpack then put it back on your arm.

If this is how it happens, one of two things would have to be true.
1) The Ranger spent an ungodly amount of time dodging blows and arrows while the shield was slipped off the shoulders and put into place.

2) The Ranger just stood there taking off the shield and readjusting it on his/her forearm.

3) The Ranger already had the shield on their forearm. This, of course, means they can't fire arrows from their bow.

True that a shield on your back will provide you protection but what idiot targets the shield on your back to hit? If I'm behind you with a weapon, I'm going to hit you in the head or take out your legs (maybe an arm). Getting hit from behind is not fun and a full swing of a halberd will make you face-plant into the ground.

...But on second thought, I can see Nightmistian Rangers standing with their backs turned to an enemy, jumping around and side-stepping, desperately trying to get the blow on the back.

Rangers could be the comedians of the realm. ^^
Posted Image

#20 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:05 PM

rofl, yeah. Notice how he when he uses his Bow he doesn't have the shield on? Maybe when you rapid fire it should take off the armour bonus from the shield, and then return it 5 seconds after you've fired. It doesn't unequip your shield, it just removes the bonus for a short period of time to symbolize taking it off to fire your bow, and then putting it back on.

I also agree with the comment about giving rangers swords. Maybe there should be a new set of swords made for them, which have a lower base damage than the fighters equivalent weapon.

#21 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:40 AM

Library info for Shield of Parry:
Armor base: 20, Can be worn by: rangers Description: This shield of Elven craftsmanship is remarkable in two ways. Despite its very light weight it offers the same degree of protection as small towershields. Also its design is such that its wielder may use large two-handed weapons such as the great-sword and long-bow with no encumbrance or hinderance from the shield itself., Level needed to equip it: 25, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0.

Windia armour shop, 10k

#22 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:43 PM

It should cost about 80k or you and then make rangers not be able to use spiked etc.
Stadic Ingame...

#23 ØWÑÅG£

ØWÑÅG£
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:58 AM

umm its Link nt zelda....dev u noob :unsure:

#24 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:40 PM

The game is called Zelda is it not?

#25 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 07:17 AM

leave things the way they are they work fine this way
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#26 Tom

Tom
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

so is JLH or any other staff ever gonna take them out then?
Feck Off

#27 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:48 AM

I got Ocarina of time Master Quest and I named him Xavier.

More to the point, I could use a large shield and bow, but with less accuracy.
Shield + Bow could be -2 dex, and Bow + Bracer could be no dex loss, good idea I say.

#28 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:16 PM

Maybe not -2 Dexterity, but an equivalent of a -2 Dexterity loss on chance to hit would be interesting (that is, dodging is not affected, but chance to hit is).

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#29 Satterlee

Satterlee
  • Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:42 AM

agreeed
I've seen more meds in my left nostril than you've seen in your life.

Poker in-game.

#30 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:44 PM

I support Crane's idea o.o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users