• 1049 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

nightmist_poster.jpg

#2 Peacemaker

Peacemaker
  • Members
  • 1940 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:27 PM

Looks nice. Wonder how much truth behind it?

Peacemaker both servers.

#3 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

It's something I have been planning for many, many years. How true I can stay to the original game, I'm not too sure. But I'm talking about things like back end stuff. Formulas, stats etc. Things like that might be different, as I don't have the Nightmist formulas. It would have been nice to have a stat roller like the original but for me, it's more about recreating the world of Nightmist in a visual environment.

I don't think too many people will be that bothered about a stat roller and the way damage and stats work, as long as the game experience is right.

I doubt Jon or Simon would be interested in collaborating. I know Jon won't have time as he's very busy. Simon is working on some other stuff so I'll have to be creative and see what I can come up with lol.

Edited by Zelimos, 10 March 2016 - 02:32 AM.

#4 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

No thanks.. I don't like the idea of someone making their own game and then slapping the NM font and "Nightmist 2" on it like its a sequel when it appears the makers of the original Nightmist aren't involved.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#5 Terron

Terron
  • Members
  • 2121 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

i dont have a problem with it tbh, not like the game would be in production under that name.  i mean my friends once made the town of nightmist on a minecraft game was pretty damn good too lol.  i mean its posted here for us to see just for nostalgic purpose, because we are literally the only ones who know and care.  besides posting a game as a sequel. in a complete different genre is doomed to fail.  also this is not the only nightmist i have ever played.  i played one that was gifs ontop of a background like conquer and was turn based like final fantasy.

a turn based strategy mud would be pretty decent tbh and nearly impossible to bot.  make me a good one plz ;P

"Wake Up!!" 

#6 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:26 AM

I've already made a MUD, Final Saga. This will be 2D, and will feature all of the towns etc in a visual environment.

Lets just be honest with ourselves for a moment. Nobody barely plays Nightmist any more, and I doubt many people would play a 2D sequel, whether it was created by the original developers or not. I'm not aiming at making a MMORPG, profit, or anything like that. I'm not really even aiming at having a lot of people play it. It's a personal project, in which I want to recreate the world of Nightmist in a 2D environment, like my own visual interpretation of the world, and I'm sharing it with you guys.

That's really all it is. Nobody plays these games any more. If I was aiming for it to be successful I wouldn't be making a 2D game, and I definitely wouldn't be ripping off Jon and Simon lol. It gives me something to do :)

#7 Terron

Terron
  • Members
  • 2121 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

log on and kill vamp bats like he rest of us...

"Wake Up!!" 

#8 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

Nah I'm good. I played Nightmist from 2001 when it was in it's prime, and it's just not the same without players. I was speaking to Simon about making Nightmist a browser-based client. He seemed fairly interested but whether or not anything will materialise from it, I'm unsure.

#9 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

While Nightmist is not a registered trademark to my knowledge, I highly advise against using the name in a title of your own design, as it implies collaboration and approval from JLH and/or Pandilex.  Whether or not Nightmist 2 resembles the original, the administrators have the right to take legal action if it is more than a fan game and is potentially making money.

#10 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

True Stig, very true. I'll have a word with both JLH and Pandilex and if they disagree with the idea I'll change the title.

There's so much I have to do at the moment though to get all the graphics set up right and I've been doing a lot of extra programming to add some crazy awesome features and effects. I can't even start mapping the world until I've finished everything, so the title at this point is fairly low in priority. If they do disagree I have a few ideas of some names.

So an update...

Pandilex:

"seems reasonable to me, provided it is labelled as unofficial"

Just awaiting a response from JLH.

Edited by Zelimos, 11 March 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#11 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:06 AM

A little mapping

nightmist_promo1.jpg

Edited by Zelimos, 14 March 2016 - 12:11 AM.

#12 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

Only 12 more tilesets out of 137 to reorganise. Then it's onto the next tasks.

#13 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

Website and forums now up and running. All news and updates will be released there. Thanks!

http://nightmist.draignet.uk/

#14 Slam

Slam
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

intresting perhaps

#15 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:45 PM

This is just a temporary interface for now. Just demonstrating the character creation menu.

menu1.jpg

#16 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

Hi guys. Once I've done with most of the programming side of things, I'll be looking for a small development team to help map out the world of Nightmist.  At the moment I have to complete the programming as a lot of it is changing and adding how certain systems work. If anybody is interested, you can find me here or we now have forums at http://nightmist.draignet.uk

#17 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:10 PM

Just a taster of what's coming...

qPmLIy.jpg

kW3xqM.jpg

Edited by Zelimos, 02 November 2016 - 11:16 PM.

#18 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

It's been a while, but I've started mapping out the town. It's very minimal at the moment, I'm just mapping in the main buildings so I can add the surrounding buildings and features.

nm_map1.jpg

nm_map2.jpg

nm_map3.jpg

#19 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Another beautiful day at the Boars Tusk Inn

boarstusk.jpg

#20 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

Added the ability to ride horses. Different mounts will be available to obtain throughout the game.

mounts1.png

#21 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:42 AM

New menu interface:

I've decided to disable paperdoll, as well as hair styles and eye colours and use standard sprites until later on. This way we don't have to wait until I have a full set of graphics for items which will only delay release, and isn't a super important feature that I need for testing.

menu2.jpg

Edited by Zelimos, 22 February 2017 - 03:44 AM.

#22 Terron

Terron
  • Members
  • 2121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

half orc mage.... i like it! much more open minded than nm 1 :P

"Wake Up!!" 

#23 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

Don't think that's meant to be there lol. Probably forgot to disable the mage option on that race.

Fixed. Should have been fighter thanks for pointing this out :P

Edited by Zelimos, 26 February 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#24 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:14 AM

Entrance to the Dark Ally. You can see the southern bank just below, and over to the right you'll be able to spot the Tower of Pandilex, and the Southern Gatehouse just below it. Granted, the tower needs to be made a little taller, but you gotta start somewhere I suppose :P

darkally1.jpg

Edited by Zelimos, 27 February 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#25 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

Entrance to Clan Town. Things are looking good so far.

ClanTown1.png

#26 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

It looks superb.

Is it playable now?

(I maybe haven't read anything posted for quite a while, and just now saw the pictures)

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#27 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

No unfortunately it's not yet available. However, to keep people interested in the development, I will be releasing an open alpha which will contain only the Town of Nightmist to explore, and possibly the Grassy Meadow.

#28 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

So I wanted to do something special for the entrance to the Subterranean Cavern, and here it is. I'm going to do the Grassy Meadow, and then finish up the main town. There's still a few bits of coding left to do to make things more 'Nightmist-esque' but we're moving forward towards open beta at a steady pace.

spidercave1.png

#29 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

Things are moving forward nicely now. Majority of the town is complete, and the Grassy Meadow is finished, and populated with Bunny's and Deer.

The next steps are finishing the mapping in Nightmist, and continuing with some programming to make some features more similar to the original game. I never particularly liked the Nightmist roller, but I'm a little indecisive about weather or not to add it. This game is based on the original game and I'm trying to keep the features as similar as possible to the original, but at the same time it's a sequel, which means that some features should be improved or changed.

There will be noticeable differences in Nightmist 2 to make the game more interesting.

• Players will craft their own equipment, but basic items and consumables will be purchasable from stores
  • Certain spells from the original game will be included in Nightmist 2, but other spells which worked well with a text game but not so much with a 2D game may be somewhat different or not included at all (Track being one of them).
  • Quests will be incredibly popular throughout the game to provide a single player experience so that players don't get bored when there are low numbers on the server.
  • There will be other changes but all will be revealed when the game is released...

Will the current Staff have staff positions on Nightmist 2?

It is entirely up to them. I will be looking for people who wish to be active on both the game and the forums. I highly doubt JLH or Pandilex will have much involvement if any at all, as I know they are both busy guys IRL. The game will be open to new staff members though at some point in time.

Has this been approved by the original owners?

Yes. I speak to Pandilex occasionally on Facebook and approached him with the idea some time ago. He was happy for me to go ahead with the project providing I made it clear on the website and game that it is an unofficial sequel. JLH hasn't said much, but since he's hosting the website I can't see that he minds (http://nightmist.draignet.uk).

Will it cost any money to play Nightmist 2?

No. Nightmist has been free-to-play since it's first release in September 2000, and will remain that way forever. There may however, be certain purchasable features in-game (Such as stat reset potions), as well as fixed donation prices with in-game and forum perks for donors (Say for example, you donate £10 and you get a unique name colour, a mount, and a special item).

When will Nightmist 2 be released?

There is no release date for Nightmist 2, but there may be several closed and open alpha tests throughout the coming months. It was planned to be fully released to the public in September, to celebrate the 17th anniversary of Nightmist Online.

#30 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

Glad to hear that you've routed with the game creators and are keeping the free-to-play attitude, etc.

Any chance of some character recreation or duplication?

Or at least getting to bookmark names?

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users