Deaths Hourglass

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:47 PM

Allimac plucks a lock of hair from your head, placing it in small hourglass. As the hair turns to sand, he turns it upside down, leaving you 3 minutes to save yourself.

You place a lock of Devals hair in Deaths Hourglass, condemning him to death.

Ok, so the descs could do with some work. I'm flat chat at work atm but the idea momentarliy crossed my mind.

Spell is quite simple. When cast on an opposing player, it does no instant damage. A player has 3 minutes to have cleanse cast upon them or heal themselves at a pub. If a player fails to get aid in that time, the players total hp is instantly depleted and drops dead. The damage is not progressive, it is instant.

Deaths Hourglass may only be cast on one opponent at any given time.

Perhaps this spell is too uber. Anyway, discuss.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#2 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:52 PM

I like this idea. Doesn't seem so uber powerful to me. 3 minutes is a long time.

One question, what if your opponent is bald?
Posted Image

#3 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:55 PM

Then you pluck the hair from his comically large moustach... or his eyebrows? =\

#4 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:02 PM

Any tissue should do. I think this spell is under powered, anyone with a cleric or 100 gold could get out of it, easily.
Chairman of The Warriors of The Mist, The Great and Powerful Wizard

Skippy the Peanut Butter Fiend.

#5 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:26 AM

I was beginning to think that a lot of people have clerics...but what if somebody doesn't? Someone who doesn't use alts?

Wouldn't you agree that there would have to be some kind of potion that will remove/protect someone from the effects of this spell?
Posted Image

#6 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:00 AM

Making it totally useless. No thanks.

#7 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:01 AM

How many people would honestly waste room in their inventory for some "Cleanse" potion, just in case that rare mage comes along to try to kill them?
Posted Image

#8 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:13 AM

I dunno. But still, I think that the inn healing stopping it should work well enough for non-clerics. Squee, I know your a one alt user, but if ya go off, don't you go with a party which usually has a cleric, if your in deep you usually have back up.

#9 The_Final_Climax

The_Final_Climax
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:39 AM

Yes, but it would allow a mage to pick people off if they were training, perhaps even if they had a cleric/pally or some way to cleanse. If they are out training in the desert for example, and are running a few alts, they may over look the fact that a mage poped up onto the screen(or even a party containing the mage could be simply 'passing by'), and then left in all the scrolling text, and as low as some people set the text buffer, if not careful, they'd end up droping if they had an alt to take care of the problem. I'm curious though, would the effects be nulled if the mage was killed, as well as how many stamina would it take, I'm assuming one, but also curious of the mana cost, as well as if the charcter who had been victim to the spell would be reminded every minute or so (which I think isn't necissary, might give mages abit more umph, and cause for people to get back abit of fear, and maybe train less alts at once?)And lastly at what level would this spell be bought/obtained as well as how much/where? Well, thats a few questions, and my two cents on the topic. I like it, just curious if you'd elabarte on it abit when you get the time.
Deceive or be Deceived. Thus, Flourish or Perish.

Eesha ingame.

#10 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:47 AM

Hmm...well, when you think about it, when people only use 1-alts, they are usually restricted from straying too far from town. This means, if they were bound by "The Hourglass", they could just run to town.

If the victim was anywhere far from an Inn, they would most likely have a cleric or paladin near by.
Posted Image

#11 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:07 AM

In regard to the mana cost and extreme details of the spell, I was planning on hopping on Odin when I got home and testining out a few things before I decided on that.

Just to clarify: The spell can only be cast on one person per time, and uses only 1 stamina. If the mage who cast hourglass is killed, the spells effects still continue until death or a remedy occurs. Like Squee said, it is literally impossible to go to any worthwhile training place on ones own, anyway, so a support team would obviously be in the immediate vicinity if you were any great distance from town.

As for the spell advertising the intervals of minutes. I don't feel this is a good idea. I like the thought of the suspense as you race your character back to town against an invisible clock to save yourself. It makes it alot more exciting.

This spell cannot be cast on monsters. The spell would be available to level 28 and above. Casting the spell will reveal the caster if invisible. Mana consumption is will think on further when I can get my hands on the wheel of my mage. However, until that time, Squee is welcome to suggest a suitable MP cost.

#12 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:22 AM

I almost wonder if it should do one point of damage because of the hair pulling.
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#13 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:32 AM

If this gets in I will train a whole group of like 12 mages just for the simple pleasure of clicking every single person in a party without a cleric, and watching them run away in pure, unrestrained panic.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#14 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:10 PM

Would be amusing...perhaps more amusing to make it one minute, or even 30 seconds, or maybe not, who knows.

Great idea :) i've been thinking that mages do lack the coolness factor they so badly need, this would help :)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#15 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

Sounds good :)

I'm not quite sure about the hair picking thing though... I think that if you go around pulling peoples hair out they might get a bit suspicious and try to kill you, or prevent you from doing it :)

#16 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:56 PM

How many people would honestly waste room in their inventory for some "Cleanse" potion, just in case that rare mage comes along to try to kill them?

Lol, knowing me, I probably would, at least to start with :s

When I train alone... I tend to honestly train alone. There are very few parties I can join in which the people don't decide to try and kill me, and when I train my nice singular alts I rarely train in the direct vicinity of a town anymore... nearer towns there are more people- and by logic more hostile pking people

Also if this spell came into effect, that 'rare mage' may well become a bit more common

That said, I like this spell. I like the idea... and the time frame seems well thought out.
Anything shorter than three minutes and I think the spell would become overpowered though.
It would lose its charm.
But with three minutes I can see that I might just stand a chance at saving myself while I was training if I really made a dash for it, alts or not.

I also agree there shouldn't be a countdown clock while you're dashing. one warning when its cast and thats it, you're left to figure it out for yourself.

This spell has charm and originality... it gives mages a bit of power without making them killing machines... I want it ^^
But now I really want to train my mage and pretend she can cast it ^^;;
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#17 The_Final_Climax

The_Final_Climax
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:53 AM

Would be amusing...perhaps more amusing to make it one minute, or even 30 seconds, or maybe not, who knows.

Great idea :) i've been thinking that mages do lack the coolness factor they so badly need, this would help :)

-gasp- Mages are cool!...but I do like this, as I said before,also thanks for clearing up a few things for me Deval, just made me like it more.
Deceive or be Deceived. Thus, Flourish or Perish.

Eesha ingame.

#18 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:28 PM

Would it stay when you log off? If so... when you next log on I think it would be best to give you a message telling you that it is still cast on you... it doesn't have to tell you how long left until you die, but it should at least warn you, in case you either
1. Forget about it (not likely to happen I know)
2. Share with someone and they log on without knowing about it.

#19 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 03:24 AM

1) I can see someone being disconnected while this is cast on them...but, chances are, you'll log back on and remember you need to find a cleric or an Inn fast. I doubt you would log off, go on vacation for a week, then come back to realize some wily mage has indirectly killed you.

2) Sharing is frowned upon. If you share and this happens to you...tough luck. XD
Posted Image

#20 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:45 PM

I could see a use for that spell, when you see a large alt party in desert or on long boss run, take a mage and a few thieves. Assassinate the healers, death glass everyone else

#21 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:54 AM

I could see a use for that spell, when you see a large alt party in desert or on long boss run, take a mage and a few thieves. Assassinate the healers, death glass everyone else

Deaths hourglass may only be cast on one character at any given time.

#22 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:10 PM

Have more than one mage? :)

Edit:

Just thought i'd add that I do know he said take 'A mage', so theres no point in trying to flame me about it :)

Edited by Malavon, 29 April 2004 - 04:10 PM.

#23 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:53 PM

This seems a bit powerful to me... but 3 minutes (without a clock telling you) seems like a good amount of time. Maybe i overlooked this, but what level would it become available at?

What the what?

#24 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:40 PM

The spell would be available to level 28 and above

Edited by Charon, 29 April 2004 - 06:40 PM.

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#25 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:28 AM

i like the idea its very original and makes sense to lvl a mage to that 28 lvl ...

im thumbs up for it!

edit: what would be the cost and where you would get it ... perhaps a monster drop ( time mage? ) or a mysterious mage store in the middle of nowhere where u can buy it OR an npc driven quest to find it ...

Edited by Cule, 07 May 2004 - 08:32 AM.

#26 Evilcloud

Evilcloud
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

I like the Idea... This would come in very handy in 1 alt when there are many people training solo... Would actually give me a reason to get that extra 10 mill that i lack from 28 on my mage...

I'd suggest not being able to log out while under the effect of Death's Hourglass.
Get some kind of message "Death is coming for you, there is no escape!"

~~¤*~Menelaeus/Darkalliance in NM1A~*¤~~

#27 herbacious

herbacious
  • Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:50 AM

nope try again.
Eternyte in game Main or 1A.

#28 foxy_geeb

foxy_geeb
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

OOO i like this... but i do think that three minutes is perhaps to long... maybe a minute or a minute and a half... ooo i dunno if this could be worked out... but could it be the better the mage the less time u have!! so if the spell is cast by a super strong mage u have like 30secs and if a weaker mage then 3mins... sort of like attack points but in reverse... this would add more suspense... well just an idea dunno if it could work... love this spell idea but... good luck with it...

#29 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

nope try again.

How about giving some sort of reason for your blatant disapproval?

The only thing good I can see from this is that it would continue to build on that whole teamwork idea that 1a is focused on. For instance, find a cleric to help cleanse you.

As for the specifics, I'm really not sure.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#30 Outlaw

Outlaw
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

if it didnt happen in 2004, when this topic was started..why bump it up to 2007? Think 2007 is a good year to bump 2004 topics and maybe, just maybe they'll be added? .....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users