Tense

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Kharybdis

Kharybdis
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:50 PM

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before... if it has, please disregard this post.

I think thieves should be given an ability that's similar to Rage, but rather than increasing strength and decreasing dexterity it would increase dexterity and reduce strength. Thus thieves would have a defensive ability (aside from Covert if you want to consider it as such), but the added defense would come at the expense of the thief's ability to fight.

When you use the ability you'd get a message that's something like, "You tense your muscles, preparing to react to incoming blows with lightning speed." I know the description is pretty weak... if you have something better, by all means post it. While under the effect of Tense your dexterity is increased by three, and your strength is reduced by five. The stat mods remain until you turn Tense off, as you do with Rage.

Any thoughts?

Edit(s): Changed the phrasing a bit.

Edited by Kharybdis, 25 February 2004 - 12:10 AM.

#2 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:21 AM

Aside from the message, I think its all good. Would this be added, would you have to buy it, or would it maybe be a quest thing? *wonder*

Also, this should take stamina. *shrug*

edit: i put berserk instead of rage. o.O that would have made no sense
edit 2: yet another realization of my deadness this week. apologies again.

Edited by Wolfgang, 25 February 2004 - 12:43 AM.

What the what?

#3 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:23 AM

I like the idea.

I like the descript too :).

#4 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:45 AM

How would it affect stealing?

Westcoast

#5 Element

Element
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:19 AM

good idea

-Adventure To Fate Game Dev- https://itunes.apple...d871690289?mt=8

#6 Nexus

Nexus
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:47 AM

good idea maybe it could be called "alert" or "awareness" or maybe even jumpy lol :)

#7 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:08 AM

nice idea ...

#8 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:41 PM

How would it affect stealing?

The effect that an ability like this would have on stealing very much depends on the formula for stealing success rate. Most likely, it will raise the success rate of steal. Though seeing as I do not have/know the formulas, this is nothing more than an assumption.

But, it would have a lowering affect on Assassinate, I think. The lower str would significantly lower the amount of damage dealt, though it may raise the sucsess rate of succeding(... sp?), or dealing damage. Yet again, only an assumption.

I think this is a good idea. The trade-off, in my opinion, would be very much worth it. Though, i think that unlike rage, it should NOT be able to be used while you have no stamina. Not that i'm saying it should consume stamina, but i'm saying that it should require stamina in order to be used. Like covert, maybe.

What the what?

#9 Lasden

Lasden
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 06:43 AM

why do you get weaker when you tense your muscles?
If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around, and it hits a mime, Does anybody care?

#10 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:09 AM

I think tensing your muscles was an example, but obviously if your getting ready to dodge someone swinging at you, your attack back at them would be less powerful. Also, it would be pointless increasing dex and not decreasing str, or everyone would just walk about with 26 dex, and normal strength which leaves no strategy.
I am the Dragon, before me you Tremble!

#11 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 04:57 PM

It would make more sense for the effect to wear off if you move.

Westcoast

#12 World

World
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:50 PM

or take stamina when you move with 'Tense' on

#13 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:59 PM

Hmm... Let me work this out:
Dwarf-
Normal: 21 x 18 x x x
Tense: 16 x 21 x x x
With str mods*: 18 x 21 x x x
So, you'd be left with a thief. With the HP of a Dwarf, hitting power of a halfling and dex of a halfling. And possibly, if there's an str mod I've missed, the str of a Human.

Human-
Normal: 19 x 19 x x x
Tense: 14 x 22 x x x
Mods*2: 16 x 22 x x x
Not great really, pointless on a Human.

Halfling-
Normal: 18 x 21 x x x
Tense: 13 x 24 x x x
Mod: 15 x 24 x x x

*Going on using two stat mods, Granite amulet and those boots (name I've forgotten).
*2 Using mods I'd assume to be best.

Just my part on it.. I like it. But not sure.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#14 Isengard

Isengard
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:06 PM

i like this idea
*Click* *Click*:
*I'LL* *SEE* *YOU* *ON* *THE* *DARK* *SIDE* OF* *THE* *MOON*

#15 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:02 AM

you might hate my idea but i was thinking maybe this skill would use all the stamina and double the dexterity so you couldnt attack but you would be near impossible to hit and it would stay in effect until another action was taken call it uncanny dodge or something or other and make it so you would have to buy it at a thieves guild.

the method to my madness is this: a high level berserker comes into your square, looks at you (now you know the attack is coming) and you use this skill, the berserker misses every attack giving you time to plan a strategy or arrange reinforcements.

if you dont like it just say so please but dont beat it into the dirt with a mallet
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#16 Zapatak

Zapatak
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:15 AM

Steve....i think your way off course again.....lol, beat it in the dirt with a mallet? whats that about lol. i think it would be cool, something to think about, and wonder if it would really work. Once details are figured out i think it would be a cool addition. :)
Zapatak ingame -zAcH-
(v)îNN€§ØT@ TïM߀®WØ£V€§

#17 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:09 PM

i dont like the idea of the doubling the dex and using all of the stamina. The origional is fine.

What the what?

#18 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:03 AM

I think the idea is pretty koo
Page/Memo Beatrix

#19 stalker

stalker
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 07:14 PM

Sounds like a kool idea to me. i train a lot of thieves and the thought of having the extra dex is quite good. i think that it should have a time limit kind of like mages invis or armour spells. (not sure if u will all like that its just a thought)
A wise man once told me that if you dont hurt people they wont hurt you........................he lied so i killed him

#20 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 07:58 PM

Dun like time limit. The idea of it being like berserk is good, i think.

What the what?

#21 Shadic

Shadic
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 04:57 AM

It should be like Rage, and I like it alot.

It is truely a thief move.

#22 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:16 AM

i just would like someone to tell me why they didnt like my idea i thought it was sensible :)
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#23 Oasis

Oasis
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:44 PM

I don't really see a point in this idea. It would be abused so they would hit, then cast tense, take off tense, then hit again and so on.

#24 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:44 PM

It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Besides, being able to run around with +dex is bad.

Westcoast

#25 Kharybdis

Kharybdis
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:26 AM

A possible solution to the issues mentioned could be to simply boost the thief's dexterity while leaving strength the same, but in place of losing strength you would lose the ability to attack for a short time after using this ability.

Newb: My reasoning behind the ability is that a thief should be skilled at dodging blows, so by focusing only on incoming attacks the thief would be able to react with greater speed, which is represented by the increased dexterity. Just a thought. *shrugs*

It doesn't seem particularly likely that this will be added, but at least there was a decent discussion.

#26 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:31 AM

Their dodge % and melee attack % should be raised. I agree with that, I even made a thread about it a while ago.

It's not that your idea is bad, I just don't think you got your point across quite the way you wanted to, so it lead to some misunderstanding. No big deal. But anyways, I could only justify the +dex with this ability if, like you said, they couldn't move or attack.

Westcoast

#27 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:03 PM

my opinion:

i say, lower the Str. and yes. stamina being used, or the ability wearing of, for movement are a good idea.

What the what?

#28 Consumed

Consumed

o0o-Alias ig

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:18 AM

i like the idea :) ...i probly wouldnt use it that often...but i think it would be cool to have... i think it should be called Stealth
-Alias ingame-

#29 Consumed

Consumed

o0o-Alias ig

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:28 AM

i like the idea :blink: ...i probly wouldnt use it that often...but i think it would be cool to have... i think it should be called Stealth

edit :) oops

Edited by Consumed, 17 March 2004 - 06:32 AM.

-Alias ingame-

#30 stalker

stalker
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:26 PM

as i said before i like the idea. it sounds like it would give us more of a chance of dodging berserkers and rangers (thats who kills me most cos they can 1 click and round) i like the idea
A wise man once told me that if you dont hurt people they wont hurt you........................he lied so i killed him

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users