Theives Or Assassins

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thieves right now don't steal. In my opinion that's a problem. Either they should be assassins 100% or be better for stealing. Here's what I think would be good.

1. Not thieves. Get rid stealing and add a different ability. Perhaps a significant bonus to assassinate while covert. Most of the time, when training, thieves are "assassinating" while perfectly visible, and not actually killing anything. This isn't stealthy, nor is it assassin-like. Assassins kill stuff, "assassinate" hits things hard. Instead of only having "assassinate" we could have "critically injure" for being overt (no change from current "assassinate"), and "assassinate" for covert. The covert assassinate would have a chance of instantly killing the opponent but any failure would not injure the opponent at all and leave the attacker stunned for 30 seconds. The chance of instantly killing the opponent could be determined by (attacker's lvl ÷ victim's lvl to 90%). That way there's not much variance in the PvP range. If there's only one other person on the square, a successful assassin remains covert, however if there is two or more people on the square an additional variable of being spotted comes into play. After a successful assassination on a square with two other people, the chances of remaining covert should be the assassin's level as a percent.

Now before we all say "not fair! my other class can't instant kill!", lets remind ourselves that it could only be done while covert, that failing gives the victim three rounds to retaliate, and can't be effectively used against another party. Those specific conditions allow everyone else significant defense, since it's most useful against individual crits one on one.

2. Thieves. Stealing should be less restricted, more effective, and include items. There's little reason against this because people rarely transport anything of value, ever, at all. The only times people carry large amounts of gold is when they travel to town from training, to effectively rob a person in this scenario they would have to anticipate who is coming and when they are coming, accurately, and then hold macros. They could also stalk them down to their training area, but by that time the risks are great enough that the thief deserves the loot which is still not much to talk about. The same applies to inventory items, if a thief could steal inventory, most of the time they would be taking mana/potions. Big deal. In the rare occasion that a thief would have the opportunity to steal an item of value they would once again have to plan well enough that they really deserve a shot at successfully robbing a person. Considering that if need be, players can avoid carrying valuables outside of town rather easily, I see no issue of balance here.
Evil report carries further than any applause

#2 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:04 AM

Tried this a while ago, I'm pretty sure they said it would be too hard to do coding wise. I agree it's a nice idea though.
Autek in game.

#3 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:31 AM

I just looked for whatever thread it was the discussion was on, but couldn't find it. I swear we had the discussion though. I think it'd be a great idea to have thieves be thieves.

The actual thief class could have assassinate switched out with a Stalk ability. It could work like track, however not always be 100%. The success percentage of still following the person each square could be based off the levels and stats of both characters.
Autek in game.

#4 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

We've talked about off and on for like six years now. Ever since they changed "steal gold" to be weaker in percent stolen and rate of success. I think it was spring of 2002.

#5 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

Gold stealing gets used with robbing dessy, robbing bosses that can't be killed by the person or by robbing players when you aren't sure you can kill them. It has its uses.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#6 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

But I'm greedy and want more.

#7 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

No argument there :ph34r:
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#8 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:08 AM

Thieves are overpowerd as it is lets nerf them... Lolz...

But yeah Thieves and Assassins are something totally diffrent and something could be done about it but, if they would of never gave them a 2nd name, and it was just Grandmaster Thief or Legendary Thief, this would of never came up. So!

Freek ingame.

#9 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:20 AM

I would say it would have never come up if thieves weren't tweaked to be weak on stealing, and then gearing the game against stealing gold on top of that. And I think you used to be called a burglar or something like that when you made it lvl 30, but man was that a long time ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users