Boss Improvement

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

First I would like to say that this post is somewhat of a rant. I'm pretty certain that no action will or can be taken upon it.
Then why did I still take the time to post this you ask? Because Dennis told me to do so, and if Dennis tells you to do something, you shut up and do it. It's that simple.

Now, here's the deal. I recently started playing main again, seeing as I like to explore and receive prezzies just like we all do. By saying exploring, I mean actual exploring, not rushing through area's on auto-pilot taking down 10 bosses in a row. Which is exactly why I'm posting this, It takes me quite some time to go through most area's that were developed after, let's say, Captain Wyslen. I've got Halberds, Rose Blade's and all sorts of keys, and if I'm lucky they'll spare the chest after Banshee so I can at least let my characters swing at something. But the actual stuff I would want to go after, and what I could handle, is never there. It really does get frustrating after a while. I'd rather be torn to shreds by a boss then to keep seeing an empty square. The game is (as it is a game) already a waste of time, but to have the game say moose you every time you want to play it really hits the wrong button. Wasted time upon wasted time.

I know you can also simply train, but I don't see why i would have to constantly kill plain monsters just to save up to buy a drop I could very well have gotten myself, if they weren't massacred that fast.

What it comes down to is that I find it very frustrating going all the way through an area just to find out the Boss isn't in (surprise!). Although I'm aware the game can offer little help to stop this.

Even tho it's mostly my frustration talking. I can also see how hard it would be for 'normal' players to have a chance at anything decent.

P.s. In WoW they have instances, which are bound to character (or party), so you can always go through a dungeon/instance knowing that when you finally beat it, there will be a boss waiting at the end. Although for obvious reasons I don't see this happening on NM.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#2 -=Deadly Dennis=-

-=Deadly Dennis=-
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

lol i dont have that much influence maarten :ph34r:

but yea altho this wont happen i still support the sort of instance idea since it sucks running somewhere far far away and find nothing in.!!

#3 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Instances would be a great addition, but Nightmist is not at all set up to operate that way. We're not going to ever see that getting implemented.

This is a problem that (at least on multi) we're trying to address using the limited tools that we have. Almost all of the new content added in the last two years has either been (1) a high-level very demanding area or (2) a boss with a more frequent spawn rate than the other bosses in game.

The high-level dungeons (like Shifting Sands or Dvergar Fortress) aren't used often, so there is a very good chance that you'll be able to find the end boss is home after completing it. (We can't do this with mid- or low-level dungeons without constructing very rare keys, which has its own problems.) I realize that this only is a benefit to the very-high-end players, but anything we build for lower levels gets completely overrun by the higher-end accounts.

The frequent boss spawns are the best way that we've found to help out with this. Bosses that spawn every hour or every few hours give more people a chance to kill them. Unfortunately, this means that the drop rates for good items have to be made very low which in itself leads to player frustration.

We've considered many other alternatives, but have yet to find a better viable solution. Suggestions are welcome, but realize that a great deal of thought has gone into this already and I'm not going to reiterate these discussions ad nauseum.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#4 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

It's already been pretty much shot down, but not supported in any way, shape or form.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#5 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:31 AM

I didn't make a suggestion, so what has been shot down? You know something I don't? o.o
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#6 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

Nightmist I am pretty sure has a offline mode available to some staff, I suggest making that open source so players can play offline in there own server (a la diablo) and then simply load up the internet version once they have the items they want or making a party.

This can be used in 1alt and in multi

#7 -=Deadly Dennis=-

-=Deadly Dennis=-
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Nightmist I am pretty sure has a offline mode available to some staff, I suggest making that open source so players can play offline in there own server (a la diablo) and then simply load up the internet version once they have the items they want or making a party.

This can be used in 1alt and in multi

I dont know if this is true i was thinking about an offline for a long time lol but i dont think it should be able to load up to the online version people will get all the stuff they and others want and sell em for huge profits. Dont know if i made a valid point there but yea i say no to load em up to online versions, Offline version would be cool tho lol

#8 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

Nightmist has no offline mode, and the code is closed-source. Apart from some offline editing tools (which don't actually modify anything in the game), everything in Nightmist is done live.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#9 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

That's just how main is. . . If you want to find bosses in, put a checker at every one of them and check it every 5 minutes like most main players do.
Autek in game.

#10 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Thats what I mean Crane, I'm pretty sure (99%) staff can play nightmist offline, I'm not saying it is a correct rendition of the game by no means, But by having an offline mode and being able to train e.t.c. would be good.

If this was introduced in 1alt, there would be no worry as virtually NO boss can be done single handedly apart from the easy ones. Again, I only put this forward as a suggestion, and if it is deemed poor so be it.

#11 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

There is no offline mode for staff or anyone else.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#12 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

^Lies.

I've been playing offline plenty when I can. I also have the offline version on my iPhone.
Oddly named Solitaire; I don't know what motivated that change.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#13 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

I hadn't read everything, but this should make things easier, noted only for the main server.

If a monster is 'in', /page Time Knight . (If it responds it is in, if it does not, it is out.)

Elimates checks in general and prevents someone from leaving to kill a boss and not knowing if it's in.

Dunno how hard it is to script, just a thought. Might make things too easy though, but then again a lowbie check is easy as it gets.

#14 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

That would just be pushing it way to easy on that one, even logging on a lowbie takes more effort.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#15 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:55 AM

In honosty, should be no checkers to begin with. Some bosses would be in more often if there weren't any, or would atleast filter out some of the players not wanting to put the effort in to partying to a boss not knowing if it's in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users