Recent Discovery In Theft - Ability To Do It

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:32 AM

well it has been figured out how Rick/Authority recieved my password, and i never gave it to him, and i still stand by it

.¨¨*:· ÞrîmëX ·:*¨¨. says:
dude u do kno rick did hack u right?

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
how

he hacked ur msn via

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
he said this?

which put a program on ur email and password recovery

yes

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
tell jlh?

i wish i saved the log

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
so at least u get my stuff

lol i need proof

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
ask him bout it casually

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
set him up

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
say u wanna do it to someone

i already tried he wont tell me

cuz i really did wanna do it

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
mm

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
see if he told neone else

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
gotta nuts brb

k

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
cant u explain how he did it to jlh?

-döwñwård §pîrâ£- says:
or is that a stretch

lol jlh isnt fixin it

said he dont care

well, if neone who u know and dont trust i advise u dont let them have ur msn, cuz i never clicked a link or downloaded a program, in fact i never gave rick my msn

if i remember correctly - JLH gave rick my email when explaining the email on the acct.

isnt this some bs or wha, still dont plan on coming back and even deleted my old forum name, hence the remaking of a forum name for this post.

but i call people out to voice urselves on this as its a theft that actually should be dealt with rather those also on forums regarded as sharing.

ty for reading this
- Mike
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#2 Limit

Limit
  • Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:47 AM

What do you expect? This game has taken on a New Era. I remember when people stole from clan banks and staff would come and make them give it back. But that was then and this is now. The people we use to call "Staff" no longer exist on nightmist. (The few of you who try plz take no offense). I still do not and will not ever see the logic in staff allowing people to get away with admitted theft. If you guys have to do a whole investigation on something and dont have time thats a different story. But when you have people who admit to stealing, regardless whether they had to hack to do it or not it should be prevented. What you dont realize is the theft issue is not only affecting the present NM community but the future community. If we had no goverment and no laws ... everything would be out of control. If someone were to come into my house and run out the door with my computer, i could go to the police to help get it back. People dont want to play a game with so much negativity and theft. I know i wouldnt want to waste my time if i was somoene new to the atmosphere. Anywhere effort is somewhat needed staff are not. I still wonder how much Ed/bill payed to get back and have everything restored for them. Must be some logic behind it since there is effort involved.

I know Staff are here for a reason, although im still not sure what it is.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

#3 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:54 AM

mind u, i dont want to come back, if i got the stuff back i'd give it away to the people that helped me aquire it - i got myself banned for a reason so i dont have to think about the game. i've moved on. and im going to reiterate this, i made a new forum acct just to post this, and only this, ur not going to see me on forums or in game posting even when i dont play anymore
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#4 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:57 AM

What do you expect? This game has taken on a New Era. I remember when people stole from clan banks and staff would come and make them give it back. But that was then and this is now. The people we use to call "Staff" no longer exist on nightmist. (The few of you who try plz take no offense). I still do not and will not ever see the logic in staff allowing people to get away with admitted theft. If you guys have to do a whole investigation on something and dont have time thats a different story. But when you have people who admit to stealing, regardless whether they had to hack to do it or not it should be prevented. What you dont realize is the theft issue is not only affecting the present NM community but the future community. If we had no goverment and no laws ... everything would be out of control. If someone were to come into my house and run out the door with my computer, i could go to the police to help get it back. People dont want to play a game with so much negativity and theft. I know i wouldnt want to waste my time if i was somoene new to the atmosphere.  Anywhere effort is somewhat needed staff are not. I still wonder how much Ed/bill payed to get back and have everything restored for them. Must be some logic behind it since there is effort involved.

I know Staff are here for a reason, although im still not sure what it is.

/nod

You took the words right outta my mouth. Musta been while you were kissing me. :unsure:

I deleted all the auto loggers I had today that belonged to Rob, Dylan, Mary and others. After seeing how things are being handled in NM the urge was overwelming.
I will say this that anyone who gives me thier account and password from this point on I am taking your stuff. I am tired of training. I want to get accounts like everyone else is now a days.

Edited by Momba, 08 January 2005 - 03:01 AM.

My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#5 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:02 AM

i never gave him my password - this is completely unrelated to sharing
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#6 Limit

Limit
  • Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:03 AM

No actually it was during the race for who could steal the most.. which apparently is gettting bigger every day.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

#7 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:04 AM

well another good post ruined by ppl slaggin other ppl and accusing staff of cheating... so yeh
Primex ingame

#8 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:05 AM

there was no claim to staff cheating, just claim to staff not being staff, just being more forum moderator/having a fancy crit to sit on in game and ban swearers
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#9 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:08 AM

there is no way staff can help you because if i said "i will help if anyone steals anything from you", then people will share and do god knows what and i will be forced to help everyone otherwise it would be unfair. a typical theft case takes me about an hour to sort out completely, i don't have that kind of time.
no other staff can do it because only i have access to the logs, and i won't give other staff access to the logs because they are too big to transfer over the internet.
i can't stop you giving out your password
in this case, you were probs sent a keylogger, note to everyone: anti-virus programs will not stop keyloggers, a firewall like zonealarm will ask you "do you want to allow this program to access the internet", say no...
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#10 Limit

Limit
  • Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:12 AM

Understandable, but when you have the knowledge about a theft and dont need to investigate it you can do something.. and often choose not to. In the last week how many people have quit the game because of theft? Old players even... far too many. A player saying he did take something not belong to him = instant proof of theft. How much more difficult could it be to figuere out that one.

#11 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:12 AM

JLH beat me to it... but I'll say this: the simple fact is, the staff and the administrators cannot help everyone no matter how hard they try.

In this day and age, there are viruses, trojans and many other forms of spyware and rogue software cruising around the Internet - you have to be so careful nowadays with what you download and access. The best thing you can do is to follow JLH's advice and use a firewall program like ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet Security to shield your ports.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#12 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:13 AM

let me reiterate this for you JLH, I DID NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING NOR DID I CLICK A LINK and i have zonealarm, ad-aware, norton autoprotect and some windows program all of which ask if programs can access internet.

and again, i NEVER gave him my password
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#13 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:14 AM

Yes in this case what you say is true. But what about the most recent cases where the person stealing has openly admitted to taking the stuff.

I honestly don`t think I would be so upset given that everyone in NM has been warned not to share if it wasn`t for the fact that the ones stealing get on the forums now a days to brag about it as if they are untouchable.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#14 §têålthÿ Kíllå

§têålthÿ Kíllå
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:16 AM

So your saying you are to busy to pay attention to your own game you made?? If someone really likes this game and has his stuff stolen that could be horrible for them! Well since this guy did this what is stopping people from simply BFing their computer? Thats simple and im a noob at that computer stuff...I just don't understand.

#15 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:17 AM

i'd like another reply from good ol JLH, explaining where when i dont download anything nor do i click a link and still its admitted to, and btw JLH u were the one to give him my email, i remember him repeating it to me on aim then saying wtf....

i just laughed, sent back his stuff after u unlocked and went about my business

ana told me rick said "he had his way" as she is a shared friend... and now im told this, after i never gave him my msn cuz im hardly on msn
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#16 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:18 AM

tbh it doesnt seem that hard to me to give people who had stuff stolen like dev he knows who stole it... acct search of guys stuff that stole it I am sure dev would be willing to tell you his main take stuff he stole and give back to dev = case solved

tbh it seems like a quick 20 minute thing

and it should be the same for any theft thats over 5mil+ lost

I mean I could give you list of good players with thefts of over 5mil stolen

Andy (Magoo)
Chris (Epic)
Dev (Zipo)

I mean awhile back chris used grenade on kev and got 30mil gold and jlh solved that in a snap it took what ? 5 minutes ? why not just do same thing for everyone who gets stuff stolen over 5mil ?

there is at most 50 accounts ingame worth 5mil+ and the cases are so easy to solve esp if person admited what they did

I dont mean hallys being stolen at south bank by adepts I am talking 5mil+ thefts so basicly it rarely happens often now but it just so happens that 3-4 very rich people got stuff stolen recently and all their thieves are well known

because 3-4 weeks ago thefts werent that comman and now well they are everywhere for large ammounts of 30mil gold at a time so something needs to be done

Edited by Rappy_Ninja, 08 January 2005 - 03:24 AM.

Page/Memo Beatrix

#17 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:26 AM

let me reiterate this for you JLH, I DID NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING NOR DID I CLICK A LINK  and i have zonealarm, ad-aware, norton autoprotect and some windows program all of which ask if programs can access internet.

and again, i NEVER gave him my password

if this is the case, then your pc was not hacked, and your password was not gained via you, therefore someone else knew it who told him or got hacked.

in reply to §têålthÿ Kíllå's comment, i will fix anything that is technically flawed in the game, but i can't fix the problems you bring upon yourselves.

in reply to limit's comment, i can't just punish someone without investigation since they'll say they didn't do, i would have to prove that they did take it and then they just (happened before) say "he told me the password, we share", the victim claims he's lying, and i can't prove it either way, so i can't help.

sure, in an ideal world, no-one would share or give passwords out, and i'd lock down characters to pc's, but then i'd have issues with if you get a new pc, none of your crits would work, and you couldn't share (and i admit there are many players who share and there are no problems)
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#18 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:35 AM

just my word against his?

does anyone know how i am after being stolen from multiple times before?? only person in all reality thats i've ever given my pass to and kept it that way for long time is bill/ed, and nothing ever got stolen, i changed pass on rick and anyone - I MEAN ANYONE knows damn well i wouldnt, after the incident with you and rick the day before, would i turn around and give rick the password

i say majority of nightmist can vouch that i wouldnt - making it more than my word vs his

i may have been stupid enough to "trust" people like that in the past but i made damn sure to change everything necesary to prevent his access to the acct. end of story.

i would like more of investigation to go into msn as i dont use it often other than that day to talk to you, JLH, and You, yes you, were the one to give hime the email, which - 1 way or another, he found a way into - giving him the pass recovery. my email pass is dif from any of my other passwords, but if u get into an msn, im thinking - not knowing for sure - u can click the check email button to get email rather than type a password.

Edited by Lappa, 08 January 2005 - 03:38 AM.

-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#19 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:36 AM

as an additional note that i think some of you seem to forget, Pandilex and I run nightmist for fun, the game does not make money.
we do try as much as we can to help out (and try and assist with various theft issues, but not force anything, ie, i'll tell you (if i can work it out) who took your stuff, but i won't make them give you it back), but ultimately, we have other stuff we do with our time too.

#20 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:39 AM

i would like more of investigation to go into msn as i dont use it often other than that day to talk to you, JLH, and You, yes you, were the one to give hime the email, which - 1 way or another, he found a way into - giving him the pass recovery. my email pass is dif from any of my other passwords, but if u get into an msn, im thinking - not knowing for sure - u can click the check email button to get email rather than type a password.

if your email password was different, and he did not know it, he could not have got into your msn account.
if there was a way to get into people's msn accounts without the password, microsoft would know about it and fix it very fast, and also, why go for you when they can go for me...

#21 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:41 AM

thats how a hack works, im not a hacker and i know nothing of how it could be done, i said in thinking, he got into the msn while i left it on over nite somehow- and because the pass was changed early morning around 8am est - when i was on last at 2am - and i leave my computer on all the time
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#22 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:42 AM

im done replying i just thought it'd be nice to show nightmist a new "method" of theft that jlh will "also not deal with"
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#23 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:44 AM

technically, i only deal with theft issues that were caused by the server. it would be nice however if the guy who took your stuff told you how he did it, as for all you know, he could keep doing it that way to you until you realise how he did it and stop him.

#24 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:45 AM

well that wont happen anytime soon, as i dont play the game anymore and i made sure i got baned for good in the process - so no new acct to let him "try" on
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#25 Vodka

Vodka
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:47 AM

Mike,

What I wanna know is.. you seem to think it's fine and dandy to steal from Rick and Nissy.. yet, when it happens to you.. you cry about it? You got what you deserved.

Edited by Vodka, 08 January 2005 - 03:49 AM.

When you do something right nobody remembers, but when you do something wrong nobody forgets.

Hump in game.

#26 Limit

Limit
  • Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:50 AM

And it is totally appreciated John. Yet ofcourse some of us vets have played for 3-4 yrs and put so many hours into this game it would make most people sick. Its a general nature for us to be concerned and to look to you .. the one who created it all for us... the only person to be able to help us.. Alot of the people who would be willing/are willing to donate money into this wonderful thing you call NM have hesitated to because how easy it is to lose everything. Now if what happens on here isnt important to you then fine with me. But the way to keep your customers is to service them to your best ability, or have someone assist with the job. And if it takes you making it p2p to do that then do it. I rather pay 20 bucks a yr to ensure no one got ripped off then to see such great players/people come and go every week because of thieves. And hell id pay to see those who steal banned if thats what it took.

What more can i say that you dont already know?

#27 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:54 AM

unfortunately there is no way for me to really stop theft, because players like to share.
ultimately, it's down to the players to not give out their password, and not allow their computers to be compromised (zonealarm is probs best bet for firewall), and choose a password harder than 1234567890 (there are over 200 characters with that as a password...)

#28 tool

tool
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:59 AM

and choose a password harder than 1234567890 (there are over 200 characters with that as a password...)

let me get to cracking accounts before the good thieves get all the great stuff

#29 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:04 AM

there's nothing decent tbh

people that say to me "i have no idea how this happened, but blah blah blah has vanished from my account", if you can provide lots of details (ie, the cobalt staff on crit blahblah was on my crit on tuesday at 5pm server time, and it's not on my crit now), i can usually tell you where it went and what computer commited the crime.
I don't have a problem with doing that, i like to know myself how things are moving about as for all i know i could have made a bug in a recent update and it could all be entirely my fault so i'd fix it.
however, when i find out it was done due to "i let my friend come over and play nightmist on my characters", or "i share with my friend irl and he'd never take my crits", then i can't help you, you took the risk to share your stuff even when we advise you not too...

I am not evil, nightmist means a great deal to me (why else would i have kept working on it for 4.5years), and there is a lot more to come with nightmist 2 in the future, but i can't be responsible for babysitting you while you play the game!

#30 AnArChY

AnArChY
  • Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:19 AM

it might be cuz he didn't hack you? only way for him to hack you is file, link, connect, ect ect u say he did none of that so wut other way could he get you? he had to know pw or guess pw my pick is u gave it to him
Immortal God Found On: Anarchy, Lizard, Speed, Clown, Ferocity...
1a Anarchy Sephiroth Sesshoumaru Shinigami...
Evil Never Dies
Evil Only Sleeps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users