95 replies to this topic

#1 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:52 PM

1-Alt..

Ok, say Sausage is my main crit. Gold is another crit I play. With the 1-Alt Limit I would play 1 crit (being my main) and another crit being an "alt". Leaving me with 2 crits I can play freely, side by side. You of course wouldn't have to label your crits main and alts. You would just be able to log on whatever 2 crits you feel like logging on (other than pacis).

So know that you know what it is, what do you think about it?

Personally, I'm not sure what I think. I think I like it. But ALOT of things in the game would have to be re-worked. There's no way some of the bosses could be defeated by only 2 crits. I know alot of people go to bosses in parties. But alot of people do solo bosses. Like I said, ALOT of things would have to be changed. But, it would bring a nice, new "realm" to the game.

Edited by Sausage, 24 February 2004 - 02:52 PM.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#2 An Eskimo

An Eskimo
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:59 PM

1 character limit not alt. Role playing is playing as the one guy that you create and you should stick to 1 person at a time.
GÚñ§ Ñ' ®Õ§€§
Support Eskimos. Down with the Penguins.
SK84LIFE!
Metal in game.

#3 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:03 PM

Pandilex wrote:

It's impossible to stop people from making multiple accounts/characters, so this would end up being identical to the discussed 1-alt limit.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#4 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:42 PM

Two is a-ok. I never really enjoyed using more than that.

Westcoast

#5 Mercutio

Mercutio
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:16 PM

1 character limit not alt.  Role playing is playing as the one guy that you create and you should stick to 1 person at a time.

You have to take into consideration that not everyone cares for role-playing, and most are out for power. I mainly stay with 1 or 2 crits anyway, so I'm indifferent to the idea. This would make things balanced, but perhaps too much so. Nightmist without people running around with armies?
*shudders*

Nightmist seems fine as is. Why fix it?

Edited by Mercutio, 24 February 2004 - 06:16 PM.

You call it nagging. I call it constructive criticism.

#6 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:19 PM

It isn't fine though, thats the problem. Adding an alt rule would be awesome.

#7 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:40 PM

I think something like 3-4 should be added
Page/Memo Beatrix

#8 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:08 PM

It isn't fine though, thats the problem

why not?

not everyone wants to role play. If a person wants to play the game as more than one character why should they not be able to?

though i do support the idea behind the 1-alt policy. I'm playing devils advocate. o.O

Edit: I keep mispelling advocate. I'm still not sure if I got it right. I swear that i'll be good next week! o.o

Edited by Wolfgang, 24 February 2004 - 08:13 PM.

What the what?

#9 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:50 AM

It's not just for RP purposes, if it wasn't 10 minutes before the end of work and really needing to poo and then having to go to singing I'd list some, but well... need to poop, need to poop!
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#10 Mercutio

Mercutio
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:52 AM

It isn't fine though, thats the problem. Adding an alt rule would be awesome

Explain to me the problem with Nightmist as is. If the game is really that flawed, then why do people play it at all?

For you, an alt limit might be awesome, but I think you still fail to see that not everyone likes the idea. I understand it gets really annoying when a person logs 10 alts, kills off 2 crits and considers it an accomplishment.. but restricting their methods just so you can get a bit more training makes no sense. What would be the point of having a large group of crits that you took the time to train just sitting in the account? If you put the work into a crit, you should be able to use it. And besides, making this change would just ignite many more unneccesary ones, like tweaking bosses so that a smaller group of crits can take them. If you change one thing, you'll have to change many more.. and there is always one new change that nobody likes, so in a sense, you'd be "solving" one problem to start a thousand others.

#11 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:23 AM

People don't support the "One Character" policy simply because they want to stop getting PK'ed. They agree with it because they believe that Nightmist should be more RP'ing orienated.
Posted Image

#12 Mercutio

Mercutio
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 04:12 AM

As I said before.. the number of people who are here to rp are out-numbered by those out solely for power and bragging rights. If you want to rp, just pretend that all of a sudden you were attacked by a group of speechless bandits.. thus explaining the multi-crit attack.

#13 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 04:39 AM

...That gets boring after the 200th time. XP
Posted Image

#14 Mercutio

Mercutio
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:57 AM

Then you pretend it was a random passer-bye with murderous intent.

Look, if you want to rp, you have to do it alone 99% of the time. Very few people are willing to rp, as they might seem foolish to these people they will never meet. ....still haven't figured that one out. :)

#15 Zapatak

Zapatak
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:45 PM

I never got into rp. I run around with a group of 6 experts and still get pked by 2 archmasters. I like logging in more than 2 or 3 crits, i couldn't do anything without getting pked with just a couple crits on at a time. And actually...to tell the truth, i'm glad multiple crits can't be stopped even though most others aren't. :)
Zapatak ingame -zAcH-
(v)îNN€§ØT@ TïM߀®WØ£V€§

#16 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 02:52 AM

if anyone didnt notice that on a lot or RPGs there are multiple alternate characters that you can control to assist you in the game.
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#17 Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 03:04 AM

I don't pk but I like to log on lots of characters. Helps me get things done faster like getting gold.

#18 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:03 AM

if anyone didnt notice that on a lot or RPGs there are multiple alternate characters that you can control to assist you in the game.

That has to be one of the worst reasons I have ever...ugh. I'm choking on my own rage.

Nightmist is a MUD (Multi User Dungeon). RPG's (Role Playing Games) are different than MuDs. If you want to play RPG's, go find a Super Nintendo and play your Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire II, Secret of Mana, Lufia, etc.

Because MuDs lack the graphics of an MMORPG (Massive-Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), they usually encourage Role Playing. However, it's so hard to have Role Playing when people are more concerned about having strong alts than developing characters and interacting with one another.
Posted Image

#19 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:18 AM

That has to be one of the worst reasons I have ever...ugh. I'm choking on my own rage.

Nightmist is a MUD (Multi User Dungeon). RPG's (Role Playing Games) are different than MuDs. If you want to play RPG's, go find a Super Nintendo and play your Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire II, Secret of Mana, Lufia, etc.

Because MuDs lack the graphics of an MMORPG (Massive-Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), they usually encourage Role Playing. However, it's so hard to have Role Playing when people are more concerned about having strong alts than developing characters and interacting with one another.

if you dont have anything nice to say you should shut your mouth or read all the posts and see how they all fit in.

P.S. you missed all the good RPGs like final fantasy series, xenosaga, summoner, and super mario RPG
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#20 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:29 AM

FirstlyL Squee sorry I love those Super Nintendo games, though I do like RPing, try playing FF1 RPing in your mind with the 8-Bit theater party as yours too much fun.

AAAAAAAAAAAAnyway back on topic: Why do you wanna rely only on yourself for your fire power and also your internet connection speed saying how many alts you can run. If you had one person then ALL the pkers would have 1 person unless they joined others and to quote the AD&D third ed Player's Handbook "In fact rouges trust other rouges less than they trust anyone else. They're no fools" this may not be true of all of nightmist's rouges but hey (well the no fools part I mean honestly fools make up er 100% of them oops sorry). Well also if you have one alt it does encourage people to meet others and also it is also simply how can one brain have more than one body? Hmm cannot rant anymore its late sorry. I will figure out more prolly. Anyway alot of things have been said so meh.
Chairman of The Warriors of The Mist, The Great and Powerful Wizard

Skippy the Peanut Butter Fiend.

#21 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:16 AM

having one alt on at a time would make things intersting but it could make players an endangered species

#22 Zapatak

Zapatak
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

Actually i also think 1 alt could be cool, but a lot of things would have to be changed, since you would be spending all of your time on one crit, there should be more options for your one crit, cause when you reach lvl 30 with that crit, were is the point in anything after that? kill other people for fun? No, if there was a one alt limit there has to always be something new to do, thats why so many people have more than one, they get bored with it. :)
Zapatak ingame -zAcH-
(v)îNN€§ØT@ TïM߀®WØ£V€§

#23 Harky

Harky
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:46 PM

I've said it numerous times before. For nightmist to evolve into a better game, it needs to abandon the route it's currently on (advocation of alt usage) and redesign certain aspects of the game to 'work' with one alt. Sure, some people may leave, but those that will leave over such a change are most likely people that would never contribute to the progress of the game anyway.

The game made it through a reset, a complete wipe. It may have lost a lot of people along the way but the game is technically undeniably better now. If it can make it through that drop in players, it can make it through the drop of users when the alt limit is introduced, if it is decided that one is needed(which it is).

I won't get into all the benefits of introducing an alt limit yet, I've gone into it dozens before and you all already know this anyway - but roleplaying is just one of the beneficial factors involved.

Edit: can you believe the one thread out of hundreds that would benefit from a poll doesn't have one. :)

Edited by Harky, 29 February 2004 - 04:50 PM.

#24 Fusion

Fusion
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:30 PM

I say 3 alts. It is not totally overpowering yet not weak. I don't like to use more than 4 anyway because it just gets too crowded. The alt limit would not affect me much nor many of the people I know.

#25 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

And then they said that the world was round, and Mercutio just laughed.

Yeah, I don't really want to go into it right now. But, without a lot of thought and effort on my part, I can tell that the arguments against the alt limit are obviously flawed and rather bad reasons. Loss of power? What power? You click pictures. Oh no! The muscle mass in your index finger just went down by .01%! YOUR INFINITE POWER IS GONE!

The use of character argument isn't valid either. They will still be there for use, you just can't use them all at one time. This brings a bit more strategy into the game. You have to actually think about which alts to use instead of just logging a bunch on.

I'm sorry, the only reason I can think of that shouldn't allow the alt limit is to keep all these kids "happy". If they can't be like "lololoolkowegfawjgb nublet i pawntxored u im gosu u r nothing go cry nub lolz" then they will be the ones crying, because they can't feel good about themselves by player killing on a text-based game.

Good day.

Westcoast

#26 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:04 AM

Dearest Green Mantis,

I'm not sure if you saw...but my post actually (contrary to popular belief) does relate to this thread. I know, shocking. However, I'm going to have to ask you to remove your jaw off the floor.

Secondly, I know I missed a lot of good RPG's. However, if I listed them all, I do believe I would have developed Carpaltunnel Syndrome (please, excuse my spelling).

Next, Silverwizard, I heart the original Final Fantasies. XD
Have you ever read 8-bit Theatre? That's basically my Bible. XD

Now, Fusion, I'm not sure if you have some kind of disease or if you just like to act like an idiot but what would a three alt limit accomplish? I mean, the One Character Policy is basically all or nothing.
...No, don't speak. I'm ashamed enough for the both of us.

Lastly...
Hmmm...it seems Newb has said it all for me. I guess I'm done. ^^;

Yours truly,
Squee

Edited by Squee, 02 March 2004 - 02:04 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:38 PM

FirstlyL Squee sorry I love those Super Nintendo games, though I do like RPing, try playing FF1 RPing in your mind with the 8-Bit theater party as yours too much fun.

I have an FF1 party which is the 8-bit Theater party, it is a little wierd, try reading over 400 of them (that inculdes the ones without numbers) in 3 days.

Edited by Silverwizard, 02 March 2004 - 09:39 PM.

Chairman of The Warriors of The Mist, The Great and Powerful Wizard

Skippy the Peanut Butter Fiend.

#28 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:04 PM

Meh, i can't really think of a good reason why, but i like alts. I like how they can work together to help accomplish different things, (mages invis a party of 5 for pking purposes, clerics can spell up for the same, also for killing bosses, etc.) and yes, i like the power of having 10+ crits on at once. And i don't really care much for role-playing, i don't have enough time/patience/attention span - the way i play nightmist is more reminiscent of the way i play an empire-building strategy game - work until i have the most/best stuff, and then just sit there. (lol)

Anyhow, not sure if i've made any coherent arguments for the use of alts here, and if i have, i'm not sure whether they make any sense.....oh well. Alts get my vote :)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#29 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:40 PM

It's the people like you who are totally ruining the game.

Westcoast

#30 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:49 PM

It's always a possibility for the admins to start a new version of nightmist running in the future that has a 1 alt rule. Maybe when they are done with uni they'd consider it. I'm sure that would be great :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users