• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Yeah definitely agree with that. It's just an idea at the moment. If I was to begin implementing it now it would set me back a couple months of development.

Testing all of the current systems and balancing is something I'm trying to achieve at the moment. I had an item list which wasn't working very well so I've started doing a graphical item inventory.

#32 Element

Element
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

Good to hear and sorry if it sounded harsh. Just looks like you got a good game going and trust me I've seen a lot fail because of simply too large of a scope. Hell even my games start getting feature creep and before I know it its 2 months later haha. Anyways excited to see an active mud Dev best of luck hopefully I can check it out soon.

-Adventure To Fate Game Dev- https://itunes.apple...d871690289?mt=8

#33 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Yeah I know what you mean I've been developing small games for years and it's incredibly easy to be like "Oh yeah this would be really cool", 4 hours later you've got 15 new features that haven't even been tested properly lol.

I'm hoping to have a download up soon, There's isn't a lot of things going on, but if I could get people logging in to see what breaks while I have only the basic features implemented that would be a good start. I just need to finish up the graphical inventory and should be all set.

#34 Terron

Terron
  • Members
  • 2121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:35 AM

keep it simple and you cant go wrong.  From my experience Its easier to add depth later on, through items skills and areas.  make sure classes are all viable and have generally the same amount of content and options.  try not to complicate things and players will come.

"Wake Up!!" 

#35 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:41 AM

Update:

I've almost completed the graphical inventory. Just need to add the code for equipping an item. As I had an item listbox previously, equipping an item simply put "(worn)" next to the item name. In this system i'm removing the item from the inventory and placing it into an equipment list, which is also graphical and can be viewed separately.

EPsVw.jpg

#36 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

I was working on the graphical inventory and wanted to do an equipment box similar to Nightmist. There was no 'easy' way for me to do this without changing a lot of the source code. The problem with the base code (Well it's not really a problem but a feature), is that the weapon, armor, helmet and shield data is retrieved from checking the inventory slots. There are many many times the data is referred to in the source code, so having a separate equipment list would mean finding and rewriting tons of code.

If this coding hadn't already been implemented early on, I'd have written it differently.

To compensate for the reduced inventory taken by equipped items, I have increased the capacity by 10, and worn equipment will now be indicated by a 'Worn' text. It's not exactly what I wanted, but it works, and having the 10 extra slots means that you could equip 10 items (In theory), and still have 20 slots for other things.

984R9.jpg

Edited by Zelimos, 22 February 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#37 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:41 AM

I've released a download. It's a little large but it's all testing at the moment. There's not much more I can achieve right now without testing so I've released it specifically to Nightmist players for now.

http://finalsaga.dra.../downloads.html

Let me know any bugs you find. Balancing weapons, monsters, adding items etc. will come soon enough, for now I just need the basics of logging in with a new character and finding anything in the early stages.

#38 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

There appears to be a major bug with people getting a run-time error when logging in. I'm trying my best to recreate this error so I can fix it.

#39 Terron

Terron
  • Members
  • 2121 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:16 AM

ive noticed if u click register then go back and login it bypasses the error

"Wake Up!!" 

#40 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

The registration menu connects to the server. I did this originally to check for existing names. But I will be rewriting it slightly so it's all on one window rather than clicking next. I'm going to take a look at the game loop. For some reason, the game loop stops looping, causing things like health, stamina and even monsters to stop working.

#41 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:57 AM

So i've fixed a couple of bugs. The first being the text box you type into doesn't clear after typing a message. Secondly, the server and game loops have been updated to prevent them from crashing when the server has been running for a long period of time. This was causing HP/MP/Stamina to stop regenerating and monsters to stop attacking (And anything else controlled by the server loop).

I'm currently redesigning the character general menu so a new download will be up soon. Accounts will be wiped.

#42 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Updates:

Character Generator updated.

Re-added the races (6 in total)

Added stat roller

Added name verification check on character generator

Adjusted experience formula

Fixed a bug that caused the server to crash when exiting the character generator

Edited by Zelimos, 27 February 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#43 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

uds6O.jpg

#44 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

Download now available for testing:

if you get a subscript out of range error, just try to log in again.

Edited by Zelimos, 27 February 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#45 Rodeo

Rodeo
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

I couldn't get the exe to install runtime error 13
May have to do with windows 10?

#46 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

Played a warrior for a couple minutes, was wondering why  it was so hard to roll anything decent. Seems like every stat has a minimum of 8 so for gnomes str can vary 8-17 while knowledge is 8-21. Combat is messed up as well it went from taking like 50+ attacks to have a succesful hit on the older version, to on my h-ling  with 17 str and 21 speed every hit "instakills" but the monster doesn't go away, i get no xp, and no gold just the message "You hit a Large Snake with a Club for 34 hit points, killing it." Hits range from 14-42 but out of 100+ attacks they all hit. Tried a wizard with 21 str 9 speed every attack still hits. Seems like only Valley Trolls can die, orc minions and large snakes take no damage. Nothing gives exp though and the training arena has no monster limit it seems.

Edited by Phibie, 27 February 2016 - 05:52 PM.

Phibi - main / Survivor- 1a

#47 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

I couldn't get the exe to install runtime error 13
May have to do with windows 10?

I'm running Windows 10 and it's fine. It could be a dependency issue. Here are a list of dependencies required to run the game which you must place in C:\Windows\System32. If it still doesn't work, you need to register them (Google how to register DLLs)

richtx32.ocx
MSCOMCTL32.ocx
MSWINSCK.ocx

I will include these in the next update.

Played a warrior for a couple minutes, was wondering why  it was so hard to roll anything decent. Seems like every stat has a minimum of 8 so for gnomes str can vary 8-17 while knowledge is 8-21. Combat is messed up as well it went from taking like 50+ attacks to have a succesful hit on the older version, to on my h-ling  with 17 str and 21 speed every hit "instakills" but the monster doesn't go away, i get no xp, and no gold just the message "You hit a Large Snake with a Club for 34 hit points, killing it." Hits range from 14-42 but out of 100+ attacks they all hit. Tried a wizard with 21 str 9 speed every attack still hits. Seems like only Valley Trolls can die, orc minions and large snakes take no damage. Nothing gives exp though and the training arena has no monster limit it seems.

I haven't done anything in terms of balancing monsters, stats and equipment. This release is purely to test the client functions to ensure all the basic stuff is working, such as creating characters and logging in, moving around etc.

#48 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

If you haven't already, go ahead and re-download. I think I've fixed the Runtime Error 9 problem. It seemed to point to the quest system, so for now I've disabled it.

#49 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

You can now read up on the development logs here:

http://finalsaga.dra....uk/devlogs.htm

#50 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

MAJOR UPDATE

Please delete what you have downloaded so far, and download this new client from the website:

This update includes an automatic updater which will now download any new updates I upload, to save you re-downloading every time.

#51 Rodeo

Rodeo
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:54 PM

server down?

#52 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

Yes. It's back in development after the alpha testing we did.

#53 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:33 AM

Made a few updates recently fixing a lot of bugs that were reported in the alpha release.

http://finalsaga.dra....uk/devlogs.htm

Edited by Zelimos, 19 April 2016 - 03:33 AM.

#54 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

Another download has been released for testing!

#55 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

LfOnJ4M.jpg

#56 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Definitely looks good. Tried it then server went down. 

Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#57 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:58 PM

Computer decided to restart for updates whilst I was out. It's up now.

#58 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:39 AM

Accounts have now been added to the game. This system is still in testing stages so may break :P

f4V7DO3.jpg

R3GIv0p.jpg

#59 Element

Element
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

Account screen looks good.

-Adventure To Fate Game Dev- https://itunes.apple...d871690289?mt=8

#60 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

Tested with a couple players yesterday and the lag was tremendous so I'm trying to increase the speed in which packets are sent between client and server by upgrading the networking system. In short, it will decrease the size of the packets but ultimately, I could do with finding a dedicated server host. I am tempted to rewrite the database to use MySQL, so that I can have online statistics and a web-based character generator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users