Photo

Scarabs

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you agree with the recent changes to the Scarab's exp? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree with the recent changes to the Scarab's exp?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

Don't flame or I'll ask for it to be locked... please state a reason along with answering the poll question
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#2 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

Makes 1st floor pointless for training now tbh, just go upstairs for more gold and exp, at least how it was before you got to choose between slightly more exp, but less gold or less exp, more gold. As it currently is now its made the 1st floor somewhat pointless.
Si Senior!

#3 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

I agree with it being at 68, mostly due to fact there so easy to get to, and scarabs are close to stronger monsters with more gold/exp, Pyramid > Scorpions Museum > Modern Art Statues

#4 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

I agree with it being at 68, mostly due to fact there so easy to get to, and scarabs are close to stronger monsters with more gold/exp, Pyramid > Scorpions  Museum > Modern Art Statues

Their gold is 250 which is considerably less than 400 upstairs.

Scarabs also seem to have higher dex than moderns.

Edited by Prophet, 12 February 2006 - 04:10 PM.

Si Senior!

#5 hotsauce

hotsauce
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:09 PM

i didnt think it should have been changed, and see no reasoning for it, only places to train low lvls now are all 68pod and below, which in my opinion sucks. I heard rumor that this maybe was to get more people to train alts with a pickaxe, but the areas that the pickaxe is effective in is small areas and are only sutiable for 1-2 alts at a time, so id say if the reasoning is to get people to use the pickaxe then si ply expand the areas where pickaxe's can be used

#6 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

I agree with it being at 68, mostly due to fact there so easy to get to, and scarabs are close to stronger monsters with more gold/exp, Pyramid > Scorpions  Museum > Modern Art Statues

exactly my point lol go upstairs for better gold

#7 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

i didnt think it should have been changed, and see no reasoning for it, only places to train low lvls now are all 68pod and below, which in my opinion sucks. I heard rumor that this maybe was to get more people to train alts with a pickaxe, but the areas that the pickaxe is effective in is small areas and are only sutiable for 1-2 alts at a time, so id say if the reasoning is to get people to use the pickaxe then si ply expand the areas where pickaxe's can be used

The pickaxe is already a bad invention I mean hitting a cg for 450 damage on a 3 stam thief dealing out 9k of damage off 3 stam unspelled is somewhat overbalanced.

Edit: the 9k comment is taking into account a party of thieves; imagine how much they do off 5 stam spelled...

Edited by Prophet, 12 February 2006 - 04:14 PM.

Si Senior!

#8 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

exactly my point lol go upstairs for better gold

Yes but before some ppl had the option of either better gold upstairs or better exp downstairs and now its been made so that there is no point of the downstairs area other than to get upstairs.
Si Senior!

#9 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

Whats the exp on arrow heads and suites? if there lower than 80 maybe should consider increaseing them, but having the first floor of an area having the better exp doesnt seem right.

#10 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

Whats the exp on arrow heads and suites? if there lower than 80 maybe should consider increaseing them, but having the first floor of an area having the better exp doesnt seem right.

Arrowheads are same exp as scarabs(before) better gold, and the 4th floor are not intended to be trained off due to the 30xp pod or something like that and not so good gold.
Si Senior!

#11 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:19 PM

Dangit, it was a decent place to train. It actually started getting more interesting with more people finding out about the place and war action was going on (even though I was getting owned half the time down there) The scarabs should be reset back to 80. Now the pyramids are just plain worthless to anyone including the lower levels.

#12 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:19 PM

Nvmind, but lets keep this on topic.

Edited by Prophet, 12 February 2006 - 04:21 PM.

Si Senior!

#13 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Dangit, it was a decent place to train. It actually started getting more interesting with more people finding out about the place and war action was going on (even though I was getting owned half the time down there) The scarabs should be reset back to 80. Now the pyramids are just plain worthless to anyone including the lower levels.

Ever tried getting to the top, its not so pointless and its kinda fun

#14 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

With the opening of the Pyramid of the Mortal God, it is easy to compare the Scarabs with the other monsters near it.  The Scorpion is 85 XP and is far meaner than the Scarab, as is the even nastier Ibis Statue, that has significantly less XP even after the Scarab was lowered to 68.  Even in the Museum... the Modern Art Sculpture, at 70 XP, attacks 5 times as fast as the Scarab, and has nearly the same HP.

The main reason though is that Scarabs are, in comparison, high XP monsters that are quite easily accessible and easy to kill.  They are still quite generous with XP though.

That logic makes sense. If you want better exp, you'll need to be a higher level. If you can't quite handle it, 68 exp isn't that bad. It really isn't.

Besides, what's the point if archmasters are handed to you on silver platters?
Posted Image

#15 AnEskimo

AnEskimo
  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

Restored to 80...Musuem is now COMPLETLY pointless.
GUѧ Ñ' ®Õ§€§ -- ÅÞÞËTÎTÈ FØ® DɧT®u©TÎøÑ
Metal/Tanis in game.

#16 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

Museum Monsters

(1st floor) Scarab -> 68 XP
(2nd floor) Modern Art Sculpture -> 70 XP
(3rd floor) Arrowhead -> 80 XP

Pyramid Monsters

(1st floor) Scarab -> 68 XP
(2nd floor) Scorpion -> 85 XP
(3rd floor + 1st floor miniboss) Ibis Statue -> 65 XP

Scarabs and Modern Art Sculptures have the same armour, dexterity and wisdom, and almost the same HP too. The only major differences are that Modern Art Sculptures are undead and attack faster than Scarabs, and of course, Modern Art Sculptures hold 150 more gold. Arrowheads have slightly more Dexterity and slightly less Wisdom. Scorpions have even more Dexterity and slightly less Wisdom, and their attack is far more damaging. As for Ibis Statues... well... high-damage, dual-attacks, low cooldown and high HP, and only 65 XP (the low XP is mainly due to their presence in the Pacifist-only Pyramid)

The fact that the Mummy in the Museum cannot be fought easily by low-levels is not really a good defence these days, since Stair Key 1s are so abundant from farming.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#17 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

mummy can to be fought ez by low lvls ;p
Primex ingame

#18 Foxie

Foxie

525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year?

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

I agree with the changes, simply because they are the easiest to get to in pyramind and the zeum, scarabs are easier to kill than scorps and modern art sculptures. The areas have not been made completely useless, and if you don't wish to train there, there are millions of other places for you to train.

i'm just wondering if the xp had always been 68 would you all still be moaning that it should be higher?
On main Azure/Foxie in game.
On 1a Azure, Melody, Faith, Solstice, Wylow, Hope in game.

#19 newb2

newb2
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

Why don't you just stop recycling monsters?

That would solve several problems.

heh

#20 Boys Night Out

Boys Night Out
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

recycling monsters?

they aint cans!!!
Tread lightly, as you tread on my dreams...

Hansol ingame

#21 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

Some existing monsters are already perfect for a new role, like the Scarabs and Scorpions in the Pyramid of the Mortal God. Creating new monsters can wind up making others obsolete, as well as naming problems ("Pyramid Scarab", "Pyramid Scorpion") and possible issues of balancing and rebalancing. What's wrong with recycling old monsters anyway? Should we have unique bears in each forest?
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#22 newb2

newb2
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

That would be pretty cool.

heh

#23 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

I think the point that newb wanted to make is that if the only reason for changing the experience on scarabs is that they are now easier to get to, then we should just change the pyramid monsters to a new name and leave the others as-is. I agree with that.

But...

The scarabs in the museum were always worth far more than their difficulty. They needed a correction. Even if the scarabs in the pyramid were replaced with another monster, this change would still be a good one.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#24 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

I said it shouldn't be 68, but 80 is too high.

80 is too high because Scarabs really are not that difficult of a monster.
I think around 70-75 would be good for them. I do not think their xpd should be less than modern art sculptures for hitting characters.
We are not the ones who made scarabs easy to get to...nor is much of the exp in Nightmist completely difficulty based--otherwise bears would be a good bit less exp than orcs, etc.

Edited by Gaddy, 12 February 2006 - 07:27 PM.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#25 Psyche

Psyche
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

Despite the fact that I've benefited from Scarabs lately, I do agree that they were bit unfair-ish (which I cried out occasionally through friend chats, etc. since I was killing Sand Spiders for the similar sort of exp before :x). Thus no objection, personally, though the change in ones of Museum, which need a key which I think costs more than what you need to get to Pyramid, is bit disturbing.

Musuem is now COMPLETLY pointless.

That one, yeah. Perhaps you could make their exp slightly more (like 73) like you do with ones in Arena... (Not really sure how this system works though) Otherwise create new monsters like "Pyramid Scarab" or "Museum Scarab." Plus lessen gold to around 200 ... just a thought. Modern Art Sculptures were mostly for healers, specifically pacifists, anyways, or so I thought.

And by the way, unique bears in each forest sounds cool =P
.... Searching for an Altruist, because I never thought humanity capable of it.

#26 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

I support this change..

Scarabs at 80 had the same exp as what you would get off of a sand spider.. Only difference was the sand spiders hit 5x as hard and give out about 250-300 more gold. Scarabs are to easy to kill and barely hurt you when they hit you, they should not have the same exp base as a sand spider.. Modern Art Sculptures are actually worth it now to get to the 2nd lvl of the museum. It was not right that they had less exp base then the monster a floor below them. The change had to be made as Trevayne's reasons said.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#27 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:20 AM

I support the change. I have trained all the crits I am going to train. Why not make it harder for the next guy to catch me.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#28 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:26 AM

I have been to the top of the pyramid. Twice with someone else and we kept getting demolished. Anyone else that I knows who go to the top never travels alone and has 40 arches in party.

i'm just wondering if the xp had always been 68 would you all still be moaning that it should be higher?

No I wouldn't have complained and would have eventually found a different place to train. Thing is, scarabs has always been 80 so why is everyone complaining about it now? Oh, I know. People stopped going to the museum because of the constant pk'ing by people and it wasn't worth the 12-15k to spend on museum keys anymore so people went to a place that was hardly ever used (trained down there for 2 months and not saw a single soul except the person who had showed me the place) and now all of a sudden the whole scarab exp is a conspiracy. It honestly should have been left alone. It was never an issue before in either place, it shouldn't have been one now.

#29 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

only cuz ur a noob
Primex ingame

#30 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:08 AM

No I wouldn't have complained and would have eventually found a different place to train. Thing is, scarabs has always been 80 so why is everyone complaining about it now? Oh, I know. People stopped going to the museum because of the constant pk'ing by people and it wasn't worth the 12-15k to spend on museum keys anymore so people went to a place that was hardly ever used (trained down there for 2 months and not saw a single soul except the person who had showed me the place) and now all of a sudden the whole scarab exp is a conspiracy. It honestly should have been left alone. It was never an issue before in either place, it shouldn't have been one now.

You act like this is the first monster to have it's exp lowered. With that said. Based on past experiance I highly doubt any amount of complaining will get the EXP back. Look how many lobbied for the orc exp to be brought back up and they still suck.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users