Http://nightmist.co.uk/wiki/

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:14 AM

One of the most difficult things with Nightmist right now is the lack of good player resources. Most of the clan and fan sites are broken links or are so far out of date that they are useless. This not only gives the game a bad image, it also makes it hard for us to attract and keep new players.

I think it's time that we did something about this.

The above is from a thread in 2007, although Emma has made a good fansite since then, it still lacks info and the updating isn't frequent. These problems go for any and all fansites out there. The reasoning is simple, there's too much too be done and keep track of for just one person.

I myself have made a fansite before in the past (2004), which too my surprise is still operational, and so I know with what good intentions these things are started. But I also know how fast this diminishes, because it's simply too much, which results in another semi-done fansite.

Since we know what causes these issues, all that's needed is to find a solution. This solution comes in the form of a wiki. This choice has been made because of the following reasons.
  • Everyone can collaborate, all you need is an account and you can add or adjust.
  • Accessible everywhere as long as you have an internet connection.
  • You don't need to know any HTML, it works through a content management system and simplified formating rules.
  • Easy to navigate.
Several people already have an account, and so the wiki is already being updated regularly. If you don't have an account yet, but would like too. Just memo Angelus in game with the request (main or 1a).

This thread can be responded on only on the following subjects.

Suggestions
About subjects that should/could be addressed on the website, but also technical suggestions for how things should operate or even bugs.

Offers
The offering of information, if you can't or simply don't like to add the information yourself you can place it here. Someone else will then place it on the wiki. Please only post stuff that can be copy/pasted almost directly to the wiki without needing much adjustment. So check it on spelling/grammar, headers, spaces etc. (If you need to use tables or the like, then you aren't required to format these, since wiki uses a different formatting method)

Wrong information
If there is current information that you stumble upon which is wrong, then you can notify us here (or of course adjust it yourself). This excludes maps, since we all know they are a little outdated.

Commenting on current grammar or spelling mistakes won't be addressed here, looking at the amount of text that is added to the wiki this will most likely mean there is a constant flow of posts.

http://nightmist.co.uk/wiki/

Note: This means your post can be deleted if it goes off-topic. I'm certain my idea of what's off-topic will be the same as yours. So don't be afraid of posting thinking it won't stand the test of ti..forum moderators.

Edited by Prototype, 09 August 2009 - 10:31 PM.

Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#2 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

I have a fair bit to add re Fighters if needs be. Also a question. Is it neccessary for you to write the "proper description" from /library for a spell rather than what we actually care about.

Personally I would rather see, +x Strength for xminutes x seconds than, In the fourteenth century ancient ritualists used this arcane enchantment blah blah.

NB: I am posting this as I don't have an account, If you could create me one or memo me details on how to to "Masta" on 1alt I would be appreciative :ph34r:

Thanks - Luke

#3 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:12 AM

I've added a few minimalistic profiles for bosses, and given them a star rating for approximate difficulty, using the star image that appears around the Nightmist website sometimes - how does it look? Note that the difficulty of some bosses is open to interpretation.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#4 Sleeping

Sleeping
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

I've added a few minimalistic profiles for bosses, and given them a star rating for approximate difficulty, using the star image that appears around the Nightmist website sometimes - how does it look? Note that the difficulty of some bosses is open to interpretation.

Looks great to me. :ph34r:
Does not play well with others.

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

I'm concerned about monster drop rates on this Wiki... while some are fairly obvious and accurate (e.g. 50/50), the appearance of "?%" looks messy and a lot of them cannot be determined for sure. I noticed someone tried to fill in the values of the Blue Dragon's drop rates, which I know to be incorrect. Thing is, I'm not certain if the true drop rates should be listed at all because it was information that was divulged from staff quite a few years ago (namely when the first Sovereign Sword dropped).

ADDENDUM: One thing I should ask... what will or should happen if a member of staff stumbles across staff-only information on the Wiki, or something a little more down-to-earth like subtle trash-talking of a staff member? (The risk of this happening is the reason why I've refused to create or contribute to topics about individual staff members)

Edited by Crane, 21 February 2009 - 12:54 AM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#6 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:07 AM

Drop rates could be shown in high, medium, low or anything in that nature. People just want an estimate, if it says 4% or extremely low, it's basically the same thing in my book. So not that bothered, but you should ask the people involved in this (Sleeping as far as I know).

I deleted the community section this morning. Although in my eyes this would simply contain their field of expertise, ways to contact etc. Also wiki's should be as opinion free as possible, which, as far as I've seen, every page still is. But those pages aren't really needed, maybe in time when the basic stuff is done, or maybe there will be better idea's by then.
Angelus ingame.

#7 Sleeping

Sleeping
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

I see the estimate, I don't mind if either option is used.

PS. I still think it's the best to list exact hp for bosses since usually it's easy to calculate by recording your alts exp before the fight and afterwards, then doing simple math.

Edited by Sleeping, 21 February 2009 - 08:45 AM.

Does not play well with others.

#8 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

Sleeping and I seem to be involved in a minor edit war... I favour putting "Low", "Moderate", "High" and "Immune" for monster magic resistance while Sleeping prefers exact numbers; the thing is, I do not know how he works it out, because I don't think Wisdom is simply subtracted from spell damage, especially when it starts getting high; similarly with HP as well. I'm not sure what the answer is to this one.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#9 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

one, two, three, four, i declare an edit war...HARRRR NERDS LOL
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#10 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

Him and I have discussed it and made a compromise. Peace reigns!

UPDATE: I have experimented with introducing a "flashing 5-star" difficulty for those few bosses that are just beyond difficult. So far, I've given the rating to Grotesque and Resca, although I'm wondering if it looks good or not and also wondering if Resca himself is flashing 5-star or just 5-star, since the fight isn't that intense except for the few times that the Wall of Blades and the Roc appear.

Edited by Crane, 23 February 2009 - 12:26 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#11 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

Just wanted to give a little update on the state of things. Luckily the software used gives an excellent way of doing this. So here it is.

There are 661 total pages in the database. This includes "talk" pages, pages about Sleeping Fox, minimal "stub" pages, redirects, and others that probably do not qualify as content pages. Excluding those, there are 493 pages that are probably legitimate content pages.

103 files have been uploaded.

There have been a total of 8,922 page views, and 2,191 page edits since Sleeping Fox was setup. That comes to 3.31 average edits per page, and 4.07 views per edit.

Members stand for pages/articles.

• Area (26 members)
  • Armor (78 members)
  • Boss (30 members)
  • Crafter (8 members)
  • Drink (1 member)
  • Dungeon (30 members)
  • Food (1 member)
  • Gem (7 members)
  • Item (7 members)
  • Key (6 members)
  • Material (18 members)
  • Mini-Boss (35 members)
  • Monster (179 members)
  • NPC (7 members)
  • Potion (1 member)
  • Quest Armor (3 members)
  • Race (7 members)
  • Shop (9 members)
  • Town (14 members)
  • Undead (43 members)
  • Weapon (15 members)

Edited by Angelus, 23 February 2009 - 07:01 PM.

Angelus ingame.

#12 Isolated

Isolated
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:02 AM

Him and I have discussed it and made a compromise. Peace reigns!

UPDATE: I have experimented with introducing a "flashing 5-star" difficulty for those few bosses that are just beyond difficult. So far, I've given the rating to Grotesque and Resca, although I'm wondering if it looks good or not and also wondering if Resca himself is flashing 5-star or just 5-star, since the fight isn't that intense except for the few times that the Wall of Blades and the Roc appear.

rescas intense when you run out of meats to give the roc and rescas only at mod and starts picking off crits 1 by 1 lol

Edited by Isolated, 24 February 2009 - 04:03 AM.

f uck you I wont do what you tell me

#13 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:52 AM

Heh, I'll say! Resca's rating remains at "flashing 5-star"... might be a bit of a hyperbole because five stars is meant to be the top rating, but we needed something special for those bosses that a single multi-alt player simply cannot take on alone. So far, there are four bosses that I would label "flashing 5-star", although only two currently have profiles.

Approximate guidelines:

1-star: Elshira
2-star: Giant Sand Wurm
3-star: Time Knight
4-star: Blue Dragon
5-star: Imhotep
Flashing 5-star: Resca

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#14 Isolated

Isolated
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

is the same thing gonna be with creatures ingame?
f uck you I wont do what you tell me

#15 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

Perhaps, but you must realise that there are only about 5 people working on this. Crane and Sleeping are tending to focus on the larger bosses, mainly appearing on multi as that is their focus, Angelus is helping me with formatting and I'm just doing a lot of legwork to get lots of items and weapons online with Mass Copy/Paste.

With such a small base of people actually editing the wiki, getting through such a lot of work will take time. And monsters such as you have described are most likely to be at the bottom of the list.

-A long winded way of saying yes, but perhaps in 6months time.

#16 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

Is it just me or is the site broken now? I haven't been able to access it for a few days now.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#17 Hoick

Hoick
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

Is it just me or is the site broken now? I haven't been able to access it for a few days now.

I talked to Angelus about it ingame today. If I remember correctly, he said that it's changing host servers. I'm pretty sure that's what he said though.
Main: Hoick
1a: Constellation

#18 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

Apparently I'm dealing with a couple of kids, they were changing data center about 32 hours ago, which would result in the website being 2 hours offline. Well it's been 32 hours now, I contacted them that I wanted to cancel it, no response yet. I'm thinking they must be busy dealing with the problems, but too late for me, communication towards customers is one of the most important parts of running a business. So im setting it up somewhere else, on a more steady host.
Angelus ingame.

#19 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Rightio. By the way to people reading this, If you are a class specific player and know more about the class or want to write any advice about it please do so, There are still 3 classes which have got no discussion on. And I know there are some hardcore druid users out there :ph34r: Especially on 1alt.

Question: What do we do when gold drops and pod is different on both servers (I mainly look at crane and anyone else who has edited in things for multi)

#20 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

It's back online.

Apparently they only read (and act on) the problems I've been mentioning and totally ignore my desire to move from their hosting. Seeing as what I paid I probably won't be seeing back, I might as well keep it on there. If it happens again, I'll put it on my personal site.

Masta: for specific questions etc. you can use http://forum.sleepingfox.nl

It all depends on how big the difference is. If it's an entire boss that's server specific, you mention so on the top of the page. If it's just gold drops you mention both and put behind it which server. (ex. http://sleepingfox.n...eadow#Monsters)

Edited by Angelus, 01 March 2009 - 01:26 PM.

Angelus ingame.

#21 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

Just a quick update from the 1alt side.

I'm back onto editing the wiki, there has been plenty of updates on top hp/mp that I could feasibly find on 1 alt.

If certain staff would be privvy to letting me know if there even exists a single half-elf berserker on 1alt, or half-elf ranger for that matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that could people who do read the forum /memo Masta if you level or if you think data is wrong, I know some of it most likely is.

Also I'm working on getting a few more items updated onto the wiki soon shortly, so It should be more and more popular ingame too, in DA too often I see players asking questions and getting half-assed answers. Players like Crane and Serg have updated the wiki with lots of what they feel (As do I), quality info. So feel free to use the stubs and pass them around

-Luke

#22 plugwash

plugwash
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:08 AM

I tried to upload a better map of sentant, the file uploaded successfull but the wiki software won't generate a thumbnail. It gives the following error

"Error creating thumbnail: <br />
<b>Warning</b>: passthru() has been disabled for security reasons in <b>/home/primex/domains/sleepingfox.nl/public_html/wiki/includes/GlobalFunctions.php</b> on line <b>2030</b><br />"

#23 plugwash

plugwash
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

It appears the wiki has been moved to being hosted on the nightmist website and the error when generating image thumbnails has changed.

"Error creating thumbnail: The system cannot find the path specified."

#24 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:10 AM

the original server he had it on was a linux one, it is now on one of my windows ones, i guess it tries to load something that doesn't exist
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#25 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:36 AM

It used to work, as you can see by all the previous uploaded images (maps). But my hosting provider is one that should not exist anymore, if you could understand dutch you would only have to google their name and find loads of complains about them. Now that the functionalities were dropping it was time to get away from there, and seeing as it's part of the game, there is no better and more secure place then giving it to the same person that hosts the game itself.

As far as the issue, think it has something to do with ImageMagick (have made some changes in that, as my previous host didn't provide this), or some PHP functions aren't enabled on the server. Either way, I can't find it out cause I can't get to the files anymore.
Angelus ingame.

#26 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:49 AM

Think it's this what he can not locate.

$wgImageMagickConvertCommand = "/usr/bin/convert";

That path might not be correct, also when on a windows server it needs to be convert.exe, not just convert. The line is found in LocalSettings.php (in the wiki folder) line 87.

Additional info: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$...kConvertCommand
Angelus ingame.

#27 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

the server does not have imagemagick installed on it, which is probs the problem

just noticed, it should be able to use php's GD library to do the same thing - that is installed on the server already
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#28 plugwash

plugwash
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

it does but it needs to be explicitly configured to do so.

#29 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

Oke, on line 86 "$wgUseImageMagick = true;" needs to be set to false. It should then automatically use the GD library instead.

Edit: in LocalSettings.php

Edited by Angelus, 04 May 2009 - 10:45 PM.

Angelus ingame.

#30 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thought I would give this a long bump.

I've spent the last few months adding a few things with respect to HP/MP and have spent many hours paging and researching, in some cases Inactive characters. I would like to know what else we can realistically add to the wiki (Not including armour / weapon content, that gets done when I'm bored) That could be benefitial and isn't currently on there.

I would also like to big up Maarten, Gareth and Serg all of whom have made some pretty impressive and useful additions to all aspects of gameplay. Also to anyone else I have missed but may have made contributions that I am unaware of, give yourselves an e-pat on the back! If work behind the scenes can be done this well and this co-operatively with core multi players. It's no wonder people say 1alt has little co-op :P

On to happier notes if anyone can correct the 1ALT side of the TopHP/MP charts then feel free. I realise there were some banned players in the mage area so have been starting to rectify that side. If you want to memo me on 1alt "Masta" please feel free to do so with any input 1alt side. Formatting issues should go to Gareth or Maarten and Core Boss content problems; well depends who you find friendliest :)

Peace out and love on this fine Tuesday Morn'

-Luke

Edited by Masta, 23 June 2009 - 09:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users