Options For Sharing.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:28 AM

I know staff have never been keen on sharing, but as well all know it's always going to happen, and every now and again someone is going to get burnt.

Would it not be worth adding some sort of security measure for those of us who wish to share?
I know your not for the idea, but surely if a system could be arranged it would save you lots of time in future when dealing with such problems?

As an example

An account made specifically for sharing - This account would have 2 email recovery address's for each player, and each address could only be altered/removed by entering a player specifc password. So basically each player has always got a way of recovering the password should it be changed.

As a second feature to the account - To access the email address to change you must enter a password, different from the one that you both log on with. Therefor each player within the account would have to use a seperate password to alter their email address.

As a third feature to the account - no character could be moved from the manager unless both players sign in using the different passwords and check the box next to the email.

E.g so bassically you log in normally, click on the link in the manager window to alter the recovery email address. - that comes up as normal, but you also must enter a password below it and have the option of checking a box to 'Allow moving of characters'

Once both boxes are checked by the players, characters can safely be moved from the account.

I don't have a problem with sharing personally, and it's something that won't go away - so why not make it safe.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#2 Abandoned

Abandoned
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:56 AM

:P Very very good idea

#3 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

In the ideal world, Stigmata. Yes, it should happen asap..

But unfortuantly, this is Nightmist, ans as I'm sure you're aware, probably won't happen (hope I'm proven wrong).
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#4 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:15 PM

So how would the trade system work for trading a character?

It just seems very inconvenient to have to have both player log into the account, and have both players to check a box to allow trading or moving of characters.

If you don't trust the other player not to make decisions on their own, or have any doubt that they would steal everything from your account, the solution is quite simple...and endorsed by staff.

Don't share!

Edited by Eternyte, 18 August 2004 - 01:20 PM.

I am the Dragon, before me you Tremble!

#5 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:26 PM

dun share but ok :P this could work
Even in death my hate will go on

#6 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

wow badass dewd

ADD IT!
Page/Memo Beatrix

#7 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

For trading a crit something could be worked out...

I'm perfectly happy with the way i play and share, i'm only suggesting it so these unfortunate events (where someone good loses their stuff unfairly) don't happen.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#8 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:04 PM

Using this system, I'd log onto your account, strip every crit of its items, and log off. And nothing could stop that, unless you want both people to enter their password when you log on, when you move, when you transfer any item, etc.

I don't want to encourage this, or any other event, caused by sharing.
If you build it, they will come.

#9 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:10 PM

Using this system, I'd log onto your account, strip every crit of its items, and log off. And nothing could stop that, unless you want both people to enter their password when you log on, when you move, when you transfer any item, etc.

pfft
Page/Memo Beatrix

#10 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:29 PM

Yes but that happens anyway doesn't it?

Except the crits go as well as the items....

This isn't a system to prevent it happening to a full extent, but atleast if it does happen and you make the wrong judgement when trusting someone atleast you will have your crits, and theirs!

As staff I understand that you don't want to endorse sharing, which is fine.

But adding something like this wouldn't be supporting sharing, simply preventing a disaster should something go wrong......Sure like you said, it would be possible to strip every item from the crits. But when a player decides to strip an account they take the crits as well as the items....having an account like this would simply restrict this 'cleaning' and allow for both parties to either sort out the crits/items between themselves or settle for either just crits OR just items.

JLH wouldn't even need to get involved because for someone to simply steal the account is impossible, they are either going to be left with no crits and just items, or the other way round. Either that scenario or they split it between themselves....which im sure is what everyone would do.

Edited by Stigmata, 18 August 2004 - 03:36 PM.

Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#11 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:00 PM

It would shatter the zero tolerance image for sharing.
If you build it, they will come.

#12 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:17 PM

how about you jsut make an account ip based so you can only use 1 ip for 1 account? making sharing impossible and then everything should be fixed :P

#13 MCM

MCM
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:18 PM

you can't really blame anyone but the people who share for when their account gets ripped off, as stated in that other thread about this...you are warned in big bold words not to share, as something bad could happen
The Smily Pill

#14 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:26 PM

its not about shareing its who you share with
Page/Memo Beatrix

#15 Cosworth

Cosworth
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:44 PM

how about you jsut make an account ip based so you can only use 1 ip for 1 account? making sharing impossible and then everything should be fixed :P

thats fine on cable or any other static ip connection but what about dynamic ip's for most dial up connections?
Iguanas ate my signature because it had an image in it.

#16 MCM

MCM
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:46 PM

most dsl and cable providers are non-static aswell
The Smily Pill

#17 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:48 PM

i thought of that but pretty sure jlh can do something since he can also comp ban ppl with dynamic ip's so must be able to figure something out the accounts :P

on a side note whatever is said on this thread won't happen anyway

#18 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:03 PM

It would shatter the zero tolerance image for sharing.

Hahaha, dang Pandilex, you crack me up!

Just do it, and put it on the shelf with zero tolerance towards thieves... Same ideal, just you can't work out how to go about it.

I guess you try (apparently), what more could we ask for from the admin..?

And by same ideal, you said there would be zero tolerance with thieves also, but that means as much as Deval saying I'm bald - It's a joke.

Edited by alone, 18 August 2004 - 08:03 PM.

"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#19 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:57 AM

Get your own crits and items or risk the consequences works best for me. I'm sick of people claiming they have better items and crits than me despite the fact most of their stuff actually belongs to their bum buddy.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#20 BlueCrew

BlueCrew
  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:16 PM

Look at it like this.....

Player A and player B share accounts. Player A steals all the items in the account yet wont let the other player change the account password or move the charecters.
So now Player B will be stuck with sharing with a thief and everytime he replaces the items Player A could steal them again.

This system wont stop staff from having to help with theft issues. It will just change what staff have to help out about if its stealing crits, or its stealing items and becoming hostile. Its plain and simple there are people out there that feel like they have to steal and as long as nightmist is going on there will still be these type of people around.Id love to share with someone but I dont because the risk are bigger then the reward.

People will always find a way to steal between the rules. Just try to avoid them and it works out alot better in the long run.

#21 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:02 PM

i thought of that but pretty sure jlh can do something since he can also comp ban ppl with dynamic ip's so must be able to figure something out the accounts :P

on a side note whatever is said on this thread won't happen anyway

What happens if you have multiple pc's e.g. 2 peoples houses that you would like to play at from both.
Si Senior!

#22 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:04 PM

then you get perm banned and HACK'D LOLO!
Page/Memo Beatrix

#23 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:14 AM

Better idea:

NM server detects an account is been used from 2 different computers at the same time
NM server goes into 'Crit Sharer Found - Take Action' mode:
* Kicks offending crits
* Deletes all crits in both accounts, and makes them unrecoverable
* Perm bans both computers
* Scans ips for any other accounts used by the people concerned, and deletes them
* Scans ips for any other computers who have used the account, and deletes all thier accounts, then perm bans them
* Deletes nm from offending computers, and puts code in registry that prevents reinstallation
* Uploads a virus to offending computers

If this dosnt stop sharing, nothing will

Edit...
also

NM server scans though forums for the words 'I share'
NM server checks IP of offending poster
NM server cross checks IP to see what accounts person uses
NM server goes into 'Crit Sharer Found - Take Action' mode, as above

Edited by joanna, 21 August 2004 - 09:19 AM.

#24 Conclavia

Conclavia
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:11 AM

to ban dynamic ip's he has to ban a range of ip's so he could potentialy ban someone else who happens to be from the same area (I assume that how he does it otherwise as I think it'd have to be somethign specifically on your computer)
And even static Ip's will change Cable and DSL providers rotate ip adresses every so often so they change it's just not as common as Dial-up which potentialy changes every time you connect.

and thats a little far harsh jurian, they'd loose more players to quitting than to getting caught by that prolly cause of the "virus" which I do believe is illegal in most parts of the world

Edited by Conclavia, 21 August 2004 - 10:19 AM.

#25 SaberTooth

SaberTooth
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:29 PM

/t joanna
i dont really like ur idea, yes i think it world down on the sharing/stealing problems but in my case my irl gf sometimes logs in to my account to use one of my clerics when she trains, while im playing with different crit ur solution would get my crit deleted just cuz she wants to live a little longer while training....

#26 BlueCrew

BlueCrew
  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

Well I dont share. But I do log onto my acccount from the 2 computers I own, 4 of my friends computers, and a computer at the library or school (not the same everytime). So the idea that I share could come up but in fact its just me. I have logged into my acct at the same time on 2 computers seeing how in this game I cant play alot of crits since im American.

Face it theres no way to take care of sharing unless it causes staff to spend there whole lifes on this game recovering crits. Leave it alone and eventually no one will share ne more because they have all been stolen from.

Again I put it in bold letters for the misfortuned palyers of nightmist.

#27 dognapot

dognapot
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:17 PM

I know staff have never been keen on sharing, but as well all know it's always going to happen, and every now and again someone is going to get burnt.

Would it not be worth adding some sort of security measure for those of us who wish to share?
I know your not for the idea, but surely if a system could be arranged it would save you lots of time in future when dealing with such problems?

As an example

An account made specifically for sharing - This account would have 2 email recovery address's for each player, and each address could only be altered/removed by entering a player specifc password. So basically each player has always got a way of recovering the password should it be changed.

As a second feature to the account - To access the email address to change you must enter a password, different from the one that you both log on with. Therefor each player within the account would have to use a seperate password to alter their email address.

As a third feature to the account - no character could be moved from the manager unless both players sign in using the different passwords and check the box next to the email.

E.g so bassically you log in normally, click on the link in the manager window to alter the recovery email address. - that comes up as normal, but you also must enter a password below it and have the option of checking a box to 'Allow moving of characters'

Once both boxes are checked by the players, characters can safely be moved from the account.

I don't have a problem with sharing personally, and it's something that won't go away - so why not make it safe.

didn't i do this better over a year ago?
wouldn't it be funny if rich had registered this name first, and you were bickering with him?

#28 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

Better idea:

NM server detects an account is been used from 2 different computers at the same time
NM server goes into 'Crit Sharer Found - Take Action' mode:
* Kicks offending crits
* Deletes all crits in both accounts, and makes them unrecoverable
* Perm bans both computers
* Scans ips for any other accounts used by the people concerned, and deletes them
* Scans ips for any other computers who have used the account, and deletes all thier accounts, then perm bans them
* Deletes nm from offending computers, and puts code in registry that prevents reinstallation
* Uploads a virus to offending computers

If this dosnt stop sharing, nothing will

Edit...
also

NM server scans though forums for the words 'I share'
NM server checks IP of offending poster
NM server cross checks IP to see what accounts person uses
NM server goes into 'Crit Sharer Found - Take Action' mode, as above

ummm

nice LSD trip

Edited by Rappy_Ninja, 21 August 2004 - 06:25 PM.

Page/Memo Beatrix

#29 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:23 PM

GOD DAM..Can't you guys get over with that stealing thing...it happens in games and in life...Everyone got stuff stolen before...YOU JUST HAVE TO ING GET OVER IT!!! I am tired of all you guy's btching and whining. Its only a game and you only lost an account...I am not trying to get mad at you guys or anything but you guys are on the verge of commiting suicide or something over a Nightmist account. I have heard ppl commiting suicide on Diablo or EVerquest or other games but never on a free game like Nightmist...
Hi-2 letters
Beg JLH to unban your crits-5k letters
There are many things that doesn't have shortcuts
For everything else, there are macros

#30 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:29 PM

well youll understand when you have played a lil bit longer :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users