A Bit More Help To Mages.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

Well, here's a problem I have. Mages drain mana from themselves more than any other class when they're used.
I'd like to see their mana use go down as their exp hits some points or by level.

I have a level 25 mage running around in my party, so it's not so much about wanting my crit to use less mana for beam, but later on, when he's high level and going on trips that require a lot of hitting, it would be nice if he could be included in the party.

Basically- Why does it take an 'Archmaster' the same ammount of mana to cast spells as every other level? If it's really mastered the art of spell casting, it seems like it'd use less thought to cast the spells. It's had a great deal more experience in casting the spells, and should use less mana in my opinon.

Possibly -1 mana per level, until certain "lowest mana" has been hit. Keep mages from gaining mana for casting shock or something, lol.
I'd prefer an equation involving exp, but this seems more simplistic.

Reason-
Anyway, the reason for this is that mages aren't really able to be used much on long trips without draining several inventories of mana.

The same could be applied to clerics, but their mana use is about half that of mages, and then we'd just have people overly able to sit anywhere for weeks at a time if they had really low use of mana on clerics. -shrug-

Just another one of my ideas,
Gaddy
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#2 Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw

Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

Like you said could use -1 but start at say 15 or 20(a selected higher level) and then go up to lvl 30... maybe thats what you were trying to say but if not its another way to do it lol
To all the people ive offended, Yeah f*** you to. To all the friends I used to have, Yo! I miss my past, But the rest of you assholes can kiss my a**

#3 Bubba

Bubba
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

^_^

Im So Confused....
Yeah Thats Right... Im Bubba... The Drunk Redneck... The Man You Meet In Prison... The Pimp On The Streets Of L.A.

#4 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

I agree with the theory. However, mages are pretty good anyway, and surely this will just overpower them even more?
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#5 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

Ya, their damage has been up'd to the point where it can go either way on mana cost. It seems that there is quite a bit of difficulty in balancing a class over PvP and PvM.
Right now, I'm just kind of struggling with the idea of keeping a mage in my party as it hits arch because the damn thing will take all of the mana from half of my party. With a party of a dozen characters, you'd think they could make a trip through the Time Knight without having used 9 inventorys of mana. (Though obviously clerics and druids used some mana, too.)

Mages are very very PvP based, and that is why none have high exp. I am looking for an adjustment that would make them party applicable.
I can understand if it's unsupported by it making them even more annoying in PvP. Just want to put the idea out there to see if something could be worked out to save their mana over journeys across NM's more entertaining areas.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#6 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:28 PM

I reckon a spell similar to the old Vamparic touch should be introduced for mages, but obviously drains mana and can only work on monsters.

It wouldn't be alot of mana, perhaps a spell as damaging as shock but drains about 10 mana per stamina.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#7 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

It's a fair point, I thought I addressed this a while back by increasing mana regen rate based on level, however I'll have to check.
If you build it, they will come.

#8 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

o.O Would be quite nice if at least something was done for them.

Mana regan rate would help a little. However, 30 secs = regan of 2mana atm. That's 3 rounds of probably 3 stam--if you hit each time the crit has mana.
15*3*3 = 135 mana
I don't think even upping the regan of an arch mage to 5 mana per 30 secs would impact them very much. A little would be good, but figured I'd point out how little it would be.

If they learned to cast spells better, by level 30, it would cost around 10 mana per beam (more or less, not as if I'd decide that)
10*3*3 = 90 mana
A huge difference there. It'd make mages more similar to clerics for mana use, still plenty more, but also reasonable to use in a party that you want to go explore or train.

Edit- Also, it could be done by experience, so that mages that have hit 300exp cost less than arch, and at their 500exp marked with the new class name it could drop (though there are no mages near 500m exp as I understand it...because they're mana #####s). If this was the case, obviously an arch mage would use more than 10 mana per beam, but maybe by 500m it'd cost 10 mana or something.
It would also encourage people, who use mages to fight a lot, to train their mages up to high exp to save mana in moshes/duels/triplex.

I like the last idea in YELLOW the best. However, anything done would be appreciated by me, and my idea may be too dramatic of a change.

Edited by Gaddy, 29 June 2005 - 06:00 PM.

#9 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

30 sec= 3 mana regain for master+ at least.

I read the title and was prepared to flame; I can't stand when people complain about mage training (I know, Deimos isn't arch, but that's not because i couldn't train him to arch!). If you want it any easier they might as well gain a level automatically once a week.

However, this suggestion is good, as long as it doesn't bump down the costs TOO much. I'd say lower beam as they get higher level (or higher exp) by 3 points, max.
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#10 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

http://www.nightmist...=ST&f=2&t=14056
If you build it, they will come.

#11 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

Brilliant Simon!
Stadic Ingame...

#12 Bubba

Bubba
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:00 AM

Just a Question... How would making spells cost less mana make them even better at PvP? You still only have 5 stam at arch, it would be the same thing just less of a mana cost for the mages...
Yeah Thats Right... Im Bubba... The Drunk Redneck... The Man You Meet In Prison... The Pimp On The Streets Of L.A.

#13 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

They'd be able to take more pots instead of mana because they wouldn't need as much, and they'd be able to last longer because they wouldn't always run out of mana.

#14 Iron_Mouse

Iron_Mouse
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:56 AM

Supported.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users