Photo

Should All New Changes To All Areas Be Annouced?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Should all new changes to all areas be annouced? (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Should all new changes to all areas be annouced?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rosso

Rosso
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 02:00 PM

This is either yes or no. Basically its a question that asks if you know an area and it gets changed, should you know its been changed? We all know of the museum massacre.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~Bertrand Russell

#2 Rosso

Rosso
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

we have an announcement topic that never announces stuff like this

#3 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

yes it should
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#4 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:18 PM

Only in the way of a sign post (/read) near the area.. Or via Town Criers. No announcement on the forum (unless by a player who finds the change).

Oh, and what is the museum massacre?

Edited by alone, 25 November 2004 - 03:35 PM.

"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#5 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 06:21 PM

Lush jungle is changed for anyone who gives a crap.

Ankhegs were changed in particular- they now drop 350 gold and spawn in 10 minutes thanks to player complaints. Interestingly enough one of the players who complained made close to 3 mil on them before reporting the problem, and its safe to say the other made quite a lot as well.
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#6 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:11 PM

:unsure: NO! Part of the game is to find secrets.
Stadic Ingame...

#7 Chewbob

Chewbob
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:17 PM

I like alone's idea.

#8 Bishop

Bishop
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:29 PM

I don't think the intention is to ruin surprises/secrets, it's to make the players aware things are not as they were, or were intended. Letting the playerbase know a change occured doesn't mean giving out technical data, like maps or monster stats, for me it means stuff like; be ware, the map has changed, or in an effort to ensure reasonable game balance, the monsters in 'some new area' have been edited.

Edited by Bishop, 25 November 2004 - 07:30 PM.

#9 Haku

Haku
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

Yes.

#10 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:52 PM

I don't think the intention is to ruin surprises/secrets, it's to make the players aware things are not as they were, or were intended. Letting the playerbase know a change occured doesn't mean giving out technical data, like maps or monster stats, for me it means stuff like; be ware, the map has changed, or in an effort to ensure reasonable game balance, the monsters in 'some new area' have been edited.

Yes something like that should happen. I thought he meant like it would say: A New Area Has Oppened West of The Barrier Forest.

But it could say something like this i guess. This could have happened when Spider King was first created: There is an eerie wind of evil blowing in from east of Blackthorn. The area has been overrun by an army of Mutant Spiders!
Stadic Ingame...

#11 Sourcream

Sourcream
  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:56 PM

The hole point of New Area's is for Adventurer's to go and explore them

Say i voted a big fat Noo

#12 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:06 AM

I think changes should only be announced if it majorly affects gameplay, such as the sewer path change Cyric did.

Iv'e always thought of Nightmist as a large empire with many cities who don't really like each other but deal with each other. Players in the game should only know things that the empire does, if the change is by some other form such as some monsters being buffed then I do not think it should be told.

It's always possible that that a town in the middle of the desert could fall to the desert monsters so fast that help would not come in time such as Jahanna falling. It's always possible that reinforcements from an unknown land could show up to help some boss in his fight against all of us, and we would now know that until someone actually stumbled across all of them and actually 'lives' to inform the rest of the empire.

But yeah, In my opinion it all comes down to the type of change, the Sewer change was probably the work of the empire for whatever reason (in a roll playing point of view). But monsters from the desert over taking the town of Jahnna would not be public knowledge until someone actually found out or someone from the town managed to flee in time.

I think the Jahanna thing was very well done, If I remember correctly he actually made a small story to go with it, I think one person managed to get away from the town alive and came running to Arilin to inform everyone. Although my memory may be off..

Edited by Matt, 26 November 2004 - 06:09 AM.

"Faith; noun. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." --- Ambrose Bierce

#13 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:41 AM

Heavy use of the word ALL so I voted no. Maybe some however.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#14 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:16 PM

Ankhegs were changed in particular- they now drop 350 gold and spawn in 10 minutes thanks to player complaints. Interestingly enough one of the players who complained made close to 3 mil on them before reporting the problem, and its safe to say the other made quite a lot as well.

ROFL you sound thrilled about the whole affair. It's a good move tho rape the area till your heart is content then get it changed so others can't do so, who is the genius nark btw?

#15 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:16 PM

This could have happened when Spider King was first created: There is an eerie wind of evil blowing in from east of Blackthorn. The area has been overrun by an army of Mutant Spiders!

Just go to the weapon shop in BT and you kinda get a hint :unsure:

As for the museum massacre...well it's still a massacre as far as i'm concerned :) Though i can see that if some poor unsuspecting pacifist went in, they could get maybe get killed. Can we see more changes like this ty B)

Anyway, i vote no, just go explore
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#16 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:32 PM

Yes. But no spoilers. I remeber well the zeum massacre, for i was a victim, if i wouldve known the area had changed somehow, i would have took more precautions.

#17 Rosso

Rosso
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

so someone makes a heap of money in an area and then complains about it and it gets changed? where's the sense in that?

#18 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:30 PM

That they can no longer do so? It's perfectly legitimate to do considering it really isn't a bug.
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#19 Rosso

Rosso
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:03 AM

The way i see it is this person made a heap of gold and then decided it needed to change so no-one else could do the same. Why else would you complain about it, when you can make all that gold.

Edited by Rosso, 28 November 2004 - 01:04 AM.

#20 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:11 AM

Oh well... guess ill just have to level all the thieves i had for that area now...... whoever complained about it TY for making my thief party stronger :unsure:

#21 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:58 AM

what exactly is the 'museum massacre' and how much did ankhegs used to drop?.. and how long was there spawn time before change?
BeEp!

#22 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:25 PM

Ankhegs used to drop 500 gold and respawn every minute.... and they were clickable with a l22 thief.

But they could hit for 180-ish

The so called 'zeum massacre' was when art sculptures suddenly started hitting for 3 times as much as they did before, and gained more hp. Dont really see problem with that... my l26 paci survived pretty well in there

As for gendaras (lush jungle area) is there gonna be something added to it now that its best feature (ankheg hunting) has gone?

#23 AnEskimo

AnEskimo
  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:38 PM

No. I think it is cooler if a player discovers an area, rather than 100s of ppl searching for one that was announced...Discovering new areas is more role-playing as well I do believe.
GUѧ Ñ' ®Õ§€§ -- ÅÞÞËTÎTÈ FØ® DɧT®u©TÎøÑ
Metal/Tanis in game.

#24 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:29 PM

If the change is fairly small and insignificant, say, the adding of an extra room or two, then it is not worth announcing. If a complete new area has been put into the game, it should be announced, but its exact location not given away.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#25 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:25 AM

Why not put changes in the welcoming message (the one which currently talks about sharing), hinting at new changes. It also adds a bit of problem solving for people to figure out what changes have been made to an area, giving people something fun to do, yet also serves as a hint to players to be prepared.

For example, upon login:
--
Welcome to Nightmist
Type /? to obtain a list of online staff. While staff are here to help you, please don't pester them to give out free items, experience, gold, teleports or ask them to start moshes, because pages are ignored and clutter the screen up for when players are looking for real help. To page a player or staff member type /p name message.
You can get general help at any time by typing help to get a list of topics, there is also the frequently asked questions list on the website along with the forum at http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk to further aid you.

The regular events can be seen at http://www.nightmist...hp?act=calendar
Updates to the game can be seen on http://www.nightmist...php?showforum=2

Because of an increased amount of abuse from unruly players, if you give staff any abuse at all, including accusations of cheating, bad language, offensive comments, etc. then you can and will find yourself BANNED. Be polite and receive the same in kind. Problems with staff conduct should and can ONLY be resolved by e-mail - contact myself or JLH by e-mail. The addresses are in our profiles. -Pandilex

STOP COMPLAINING TO US WHEN YOU GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD AND GET STOLEN FROM!

Latest Gossip: (or Rumour Mill?)
Rumour has it that there has been increased, some suggest unnatural, storm activity east of Blackthorne, illuminating the horizon with a glorius canvas of purple lightning. In other news, word has been recieved from Jahanna suggesting they have been experiencing an increased and unusual amount of predator activity as of late; some suggest this may be due to mating habits, whilst others fear more malicious intentions have been bringing them to the city.

There are 58 characters online, (26 users).
Arilin Hunters' Tavern: You are in a crowded tavern in Arilin. The tavern exits North or West.

--

Alternatively, why not put the town cryers to some use? If not that, then why not set the bartenders to say it at 10 minute intervals? That way people can be aware of changes, but saves having their conversations fragmented by a constantly chattering NPC.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#26 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:30 AM

All good ideas ^^^^^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users