Photo

A Curious Choice

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: The future of Nightmist development, which would you prefer?

The future of Nightmist development, which would you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw

Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:52 PM

Prophet yes i understand, your not seeing the whole picture. If staff are not busy w/ nm2 they can clean up regular nm, have more time to add more areas and weapons to regular nm, and so on.
To all the people ive offended, Yeah f*** you to. To all the friends I used to have, Yo! I miss my past, But the rest of you assholes can kiss my a**

#32 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

Staff arn't working on NM2. Only the Admins.
Stadic Ingame...

#33 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:18 PM

Staff arn't working on NM2. Only the Admins.

i thought staff were allready building/designing areas. but thena gian i haven't been around ^_^
Even in death my hate will go on

#34 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

Prophet yes i understand, your not seeing the whole picture. If staff are not busy w/ nm2 they can clean up regular nm, have more time to add more areas and weapons to regular nm, and so on.

Yes but regular nm isn't bringing the admins any money in too pay for the line costs and general running of Nightmist, Nm2 on the other hand will do this.

Edit: Jurian your breaking forum rules :P ^_^

Edited by Prophet, 11 June 2005 - 08:33 PM.

Si Senior!

#35 Roidhun

Roidhun
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

Reset NM1 drop NM2
Every country has an army... Either its own or somebody else's
No crits ingame atm...

#36 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

I chose choice 1. We don't need alot of work on NM2 not alot of ppl going to go there to pay for a game in the first place.(flame if you want) No real point to.

All we need is another staff or 2 here to be active and work out the problems with this vers an keep events and everything else going. Even if it takes another staff to be hired to help out. Things would be fine with just this version and everything staying the way it is.

We could have fixed problems b4, but every1 just gave up. This version is fine if you fix it.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#37 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

Reset NM1 drop NM2

Reason for reset? it would only result in the same thing happening in 6 months time...
Si Senior!

#38 Roidhun

Roidhun
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

it would only result in the same thing happening in 6 months time...

More or less the same reason(s) as the last time. Proper staff should be able to handle any adverse consequences.

Just my 2 cent's worth - and though I haven't posted much here, I have played this game almost from the very start...

Edited by Roidhun, 11 June 2005 - 08:44 PM.

No crits ingame atm...

#39 Payne

Payne
  • Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

Choice 1 is
<---- Choice 2 and 3 lol
Astinus on 1alt Only

#40 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:45 PM

Leave this version of Nightmist in the hands of a trusted person - Stotic perhaps? Not giving him code rights or anything, just allowing him (using Stotic as an example) full control over the admin processes of it. Giving him the right to hire and fire staff as he sees fit.

This'd give the players at least someone to look to for some problems, but allowing yourself and JLH the time to put into Nightmist2.

I see that as a better option than all above, but it's whether you'd be willing to grant him admin control over the game.

OH EM GEE

YES! LOL

Btw i didn't see the "Make Raylen staff" option, you musta forgot that one, tut tut ^_^

Ok now in seriousness, i agree with alone whole-heartedly (or didn't you see that bit) - put Mr.Mike in "charge", the worst that can happen is someone can pull an Aidon and you just have to reset 8 hours of game time :P

Which leaves you kids to work on the next big thing :)

Edit: I voted option 3, as long as the running of events is given over to someone else, as i and many others love the events :D

Edited by Raylen, 11 June 2005 - 08:50 PM.

+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#41 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:49 PM

Delete all arch crits, enough said.

#42 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

I don't feel that the current Nightmist should be abandoned completely, as I can imagine that a lot of the Nightmist II players will be players of the current Nightmist.

I feel that once in a blue moon, something new or different should happen, even if only a small thing, to excite the veteran players and such. Probably not too many new areas, as they take a lot of time and effort to construct and test, especially large ones, but small things like someone's pet dragon escaping or a Drow scout party deciding to pester Arilin a little bit!

From what I have been hearing and reading, and with the current Nightmist as a base for comparisons and ideas, Nightmist II will almost certainly be a fine game. While the slow pace may annoy some, developers and players alike, it does give much for time for refinement and thus a cleaner result.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#43 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Your not bringing any reasons into why their should be a reset...other than the fact that you haven't worked hard at the game for a long and that everyone elses hard work should be removed so that you can be at an even level to them.

The first reason was because the server was inefficient and so the game was recoded and at the same time changes to make it more balanced were made. So I doubt for the same reasons as the first.
Si Senior!

#44 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:56 PM

If you completely abandon NM, you will lose some of your potential playerbase for NM2. The people who don't want anarchy, who want staff involvement... these are the people who are most likely to pay to play. If you abandon NM, these people will go find another p2p game and stick with that.

Correct.

I would say 60/40 in Nightmist 2's favour. The sooner the better really, but I have done a lot on Nightmist and wish I could do more.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#45 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:30 PM

No-one could run this version of the game as efficiently as JLH and he spends more time on it than I think most would once you see the repetitiveness in the processes he performs. I voted 2 personally.

#46 Roidhun

Roidhun
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

other than the fact that you haven't worked hard at the game for a long and that everyone elses hard work should be removed so that you can be at an even level to them.

Read my post - I've played, but not posted so in the case of a reset I'll lose just as much "hard work" as everyone else.

I like the current NM with alts allowed, and I understand that NM2 will be basically a 1 alt game.

I do not feel that the game has been well balanced since the berserker class was added, and I would like to see some of the higher stat crits that were made with different kinds of auto-rollers disappear - ie. delete all accts in the reset, so my reasons are much the same as the reasons for resetting the game in the first place.
No crits ingame atm...

#47 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:37 PM

Delete all arch crits, enough said.

Ah, so that the people that pk you become weak and you become strong since you have lots of experts?
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#48 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:03 AM

i'm sure everyone will vote before reading anyone's thoughts but if someone is wavering....

take my advice: as someone who's been here for ages, nightmist as you know it will get boring. if you don't leave after a bad experience, or several bad experiences, you will go like so many other players: silently and generally unnoticed. just because it's dull, you've done as much as you'll ever want to do within the rules you've given yourself (ex: if i can't do X with X anymore i'm not going to work for Y to just to get X). it happens and nightmist (as we know it now) is not going to change enough to hold your attention like a persistently evolving world. it's followed one path so long that any dramatic changes would be too upsetting. we've been over it on these forums for a long time, and when hitting the circle with a mouse pointer to make the numbers go up gets dull, you're done.

that's why nm2 development is the best option for current, new, and older players. if you aren't bored now, you will be, and emails, memos, and symbolic events aren't a large price to pay for a better future for nightmist. JLH and Pan seem to have a life, and when they mean slow, that says to me that it's bordering on opal spheres. now considering that JLH and Pan represent HALF of the nm staff, maybe giving them some room would be a good idea.

so hell, even if you do prefer to have snappy replies, symbolic events, serverside text updates, and future vaporware... atleast try and be good. make nm less work, solve your own problems when you can, don't share, check the databases before choosing a name, and try and keep your clans functioning even if they are retarded. it doesn't seem like much for me but aside from paltry updates it's all that's in the way of nm2 development.
Evil report carries further than any applause

#49 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:00 AM

I voted #2

In all fairness for those who aren`t able to afford NM2 I think the current version of the game should still be run with limited involvement. Not just left to be run in the ground by azzholes.

It is way past time for JLH and Simon to get payed for this game. So forge ahead and make NM2 happen. And for the love of God don't make NM2 turn into another Opal Spheres. I was so looking forward to that game.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#50 Shaginator

Shaginator

Criff

• Members
  • 1668 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:19 AM

Im stuck in the middle I suppose, ive been playing for about 2 years and although many things about the game annoy me after all this time Im still here. You dont just put all that time and effort into something to abandon it. Not even for the sake of so called progress. Much can still be learned im sure from the current version even as long as its been around. I definatley agree that something should be done making it easier for JLH, Pandi, and whoever else it may be that is working on NM2, to have more time to devote to that. But to be bluntly honest ....I get tired of all the lazy, non job having, living at home with mom brats talking about how they wont pay for NM2. When you decide to get off your lazy arse and make a life of your own, are you gonna go to work, or devote yourself to an intense project and not expect to get paid like everyone else?? NO!!!! They deserve to be paid for what they have done. Half of you run around and just click your life away thinking you own things....but what thanks do you give the people that created this game. Im not saying there arent those that are appreciative, because I know there are a few. But Ive been hearing alot of blah blah blah lately about how the game has gone down hill and etc etc. If you ask me (and yes I know you didnt) its not the game, its the players and the lack of respect and decency that have made the game go downhill. So to end my babbling....continue with the ideas on how to make it easier for them to devote more of there time to a better NM2 but dont run the current version into the ground before we even get there. You can even help them by doing nothing!!! Thats right nothing. Dont complain when you share and get stole from....dont cry about everything that happens. I know this wont happen, but its nice to dream.
Overthrow/Redemption - 1a

Existance - Main

#51 Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw

Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:24 AM

I heard tons of people say the 3rd choice is winning lmao??? take a look at the pole?
To all the people ive offended, Yeah f*** you to. To all the friends I used to have, Yo! I miss my past, But the rest of you assholes can kiss my a**

#52 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:43 PM

A reset in NM1 will be the best choice.

I chose the 3rd choice after reading all responses. A reset will keep the players busy, working at things while the development of NM2 will be alot faster becuase the players will be training, getting gold, etc... instead of annoying the staff. Stotic and Wes could run NM1, while JLH and Pandilex work on NM2. This way, if any problems arise, they can ask Stotic and Wes to fix them, which I'm sure they could.

Working on NM2 is a MUST. Soo many people have been complaining how much NM1 sucks, and yet they want all the attention focused on NM1? Did you read the options at all? I don't think so. "The game continues as it does now, with all of the emails, memos, problems, events (champions etc.) being handled ASAP, occasional updates, additions and adjustments being added to the game. Development on Nightmist 2 is extremely slow." THE GAME CONTINUES AS IT DOES NOW. I very much doubt any new areas will be added into the game, actually, I doubt any "additions and adjustments" will be added quickly. Sure they MIGHT be added, but it will probably take a couple months to get them in.

Choice 3 is the best choice IMO. We can have Choice 3 and a reset, no, not to ruin everyones "hard" work, but to keep the community busy so JLH and Pandilex can work in peace.
«¤Mêad¤»*

#53 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:11 PM

No-one could run this version of the game as efficiently as JLH and he spends more time on it than I think most would once you see the repetitiveness in the processes he performs. I voted 2 personally.

The idea isn't to get someone to run Nightmist the same way current admin do, that'd be impossible. It was more an idea to not give the current players that feeling of being totally abandoned and having some admin system still running.

As a side note, I did speak to JLH about my idea, the reply wasn't that positive. Well, pretty much no- So, any ideas similar (as it seems kinda liked by some) would be good...
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#54 Kalypso

Kalypso
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

I vote you forget nightmist and speed up the work on opal spheres! I can't wait for that game!

ROFL
"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed.
"Maybe they're supposed to run wild until they find someone just as wild to run with."

#55 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

i still wouldn't mind a rough estimation on how slow slow will be (like a year?) and how fast option 3 will be (6 months?) or is the difference bigger?

can we just get a rough estimation?
Even in death my hate will go on

#56 Bun

Bun
  • Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:00 PM

manda spends more time on here than anyone else (devochtickasdausfda)

manda 4 staff tbh seeing as she has no life
Santa

I never went to asia this year i fly by and gave them a big wave.

#57 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5239 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:04 AM

I think Karl's suggestion of having someone oversee Nightmist (at the very least) is a good idea if that's what it comes to...

I'd like to know more about how NM2 will work- alt limitations, new style of equipment, attribute points---will there be anything really different or upgraded from the current NM?

I just would like to know more about NM2 before hoping to like it, especially with how the current NM has turned into a community of vultures and assholes. The actual game would have to be worth playing rather than people playing to talk with eachother.
It also seems as if admins have become un-caring about the game. Work on it and for players? Sure, but they don't really seem to care about NM much.
Will the same happen to NM2?

And another little request- Would it be possible to give each of us players an option to choose 1-5 or all of our current character names to have reserved on NM2?
I'd really really hate to see someone using the name Amy or the like to take advantage of people who recognize her as a trustworthy person.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#58 Scripto

Scripto

~teh Scripto

• Game Staff
  • 1628 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:10 AM

/nod Gaddy
For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.

Ingame:
Scripto (Staff)
Kannabis (Mortal)

#59 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:13 AM

Gotta disagree with the Gadster. NM2 is a new begining. First come first serve on the names. I for one would love information on NM2, but lets just keep in under the ole hat and surprise everyone.

The current version of NM has always been filled with information leaks. Half the game knows of an area before it comes out. Lets make everyone have to work for NM2.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#60 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:16 AM

To reply to gaddy's good points

1) It most definitely will be a 1-alt game. Everything else has been improved a great deal. I suppose the best way to explain it, is that everything is in more details, ie, in a technical sense, more variables for each thing. For example, weapons can have durability, and enable other abilities or "secondary fires".

2) Saying that admins are un-caring about NM1 is unfair, I do care about Nightmist a great deal, if I didn't, why would I be paying so much to run it! This is the biggest project I've ever undertaken, it is almost 5 years old and I will not give up on it.

3) I would like to be able to reserve names for the reason you have mentioned, however I have not decided how I will do this yet.
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users