Photo

Favorite RPG Weapon

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite RPG Weapon type? (84 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite RPG Weapon type?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:10 PM

Remember the Castlevania days? Whips were SO in then.
Posted Image

#32 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:17 AM

Why are Katana AND sword both up there?

I don't see Broad Sword or Claymore up there...or Cougar Magnum or Desert Eagle...you get the point.

ahh but you dont. the Katana was THE best sword ever made. anyone who doesnt know that obviously hasnt done much research in the field of medieval weapons and shouldnt ask a question that should never have surfaced.

anyway i prefer the spear myself: a dangerous weapon when used properly

but i would also have to have a Katana
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#33 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:31 AM

I don't see Broad Sword or Claymore up there...or Cougar Magnum or Desert Eagle...you get the point.

ahh but you dont. the Katana was THE best sword ever made. anyone who doesnt know that obviously hasnt done much research in the field of medieval weapons and shouldnt ask a question that should never have surfaced.

He is saying that Katana falls under the catagory of Sword, along with Broadswords, Claymores, Gladius' etc. etc.

You also cannot say the Katana is the best sword. No weapon is the 'best' of it's catagory simply because it depends upon the circumstances. Katana's and other thin swords are broken easily with chains (see "Kill Bill" for an example), whereas some of your huge heavy swords will simply bludgeon people to death or cleave limbs from their bodies. Longer swords will outrange the short Katanas before the attacking people can get close. Therefore no weapon of any type is specifically 'better' than another.
If you build it, they will come.

#34 Megalomaniac

Megalomaniac
  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:27 PM

Claw's Rule with Rikku on FF10 if u get her good.
Lîfë ï§ Å Gâmê | Ðråçøñî§ îñgâmê

#35 Metatron

Metatron
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:39 PM

He is saying that Katana falls under the catagory of Sword, along with Broadswords, Claymores, Gladius' etc. etc.

You also cannot say the Katana is the best sword. No weapon is the 'best' of it's catagory simply because it depends upon the circumstances. Katana's and other thin swords are broken easily with chains (see "Kill Bill" for an example), whereas some of your huge heavy swords will simply bludgeon people to death or cleave limbs from their bodies. Longer swords will outrange the short Katanas before the attacking people can get close. Therefore no weapon of any type is specifically 'better' than another.

*ahem* Lightsabre, lol :)
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other sins are invented nonsense.

~Agmar~

#36 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 10:15 PM

Pandilex took the words right out of my mouth. o_o

When you see Katanas rip through trees and rocks in games/anime, obviously, it's a gross exaggeration. If you were to try to cut a rock in half with your katana...well...you'd be in the hole one katana.
Posted Image

#37 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

Katanas were still the best sword of their size category. they were sharper and stronger that any sword of the time and were the preferred weapons of Samurai.

and pandilex the time you spent posting on an off topic forum could have been spent looking at the forums trying to improve the game or at least thinking of ways to do so.

Edited by green_mantis, 16 March 2004 - 08:49 PM.

I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#38 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 09:15 PM

Katanas were still the best sword of their size category. they were sharper and stronger that any sword of the time and were the preferred weapons of Samurai.

If we were to pit a Mideval European knight and a Feudal-Japanese samurai against each other...well...it'd be obvious who would win.

The Katana would most likely break on the Knight's shield or on the plate mail. The only way that Katana could get past that kind of armour would be to wedge in-between the plates of metal...something easier said than done.

Edited by Squee, 16 March 2004 - 09:22 PM.

Posted Image

#39 Deathwish

Deathwish
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 09:19 PM

and pandilex the time you spent posting on an off topic forum could have been spent looking at the forums trying to improve the game or at least thinking of ways to do so.

Lmao... he does as he pleases you have no right to tell him what to do, how to do it and when to do it.. :)

Edit: Have to stay on topic.. I prefer rangers and thus the weapon of my choice would be a bow.

Edited by Deathwish, 16 March 2004 - 09:23 PM.

Out, out brief candle. Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour on the stage and then is heard no more.

#40 Consumed

Consumed

o0o-Alias ig

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

id go with guns or bows...and the reason i like guns is cuz i played this one gang game and was the leader a gang and had to fight all the other ones...cnat member what its called tho :)
-Alias ingame-

#41 iggy

iggy
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 03:35 AM

a Mop -- from Chrono Trigger :)

#42 Metatron

Metatron
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:53 PM

Maces
I mean you'd look so cool with one even better if its spikey
they'd hurt alot too. :)
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other sins are invented nonsense.

~Agmar~

#43 Bishop

Bishop
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:22 PM

I always liked short swords, the Wakisashi being the most interesting. A great weapon(s) for a rogue - dual Wakisashi.

And the poor Whip (0 votes), also a nice rogue weapon :) -Indiana Jones

Edited by Bishop, 18 March 2004 - 07:25 PM.

#44 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:03 PM

If we were to pit a Mideval European knight and a Feudal-Japanese samurai against each other...well...it'd be obvious who would win.

The Katana would most likely break on the Knight's shield or on the plate mail. The only way that Katana could get past that kind of armour would be to wedge in-between the plates of metal...something easier said than done.

ok how much research have you done to prove your findings because from what i have gathered a Katana can slice through an opponents shield. Katanas are not as brittle as other swords and are made of seventeen layers of steel folded over and over to get the sharpest edge possible.

#45 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:48 PM

That's the smith. I could make a claymore with 100 layers of tempered steel.

Doesn't mean that all claymores are as sturdy as this one.

I'll give you that Katanas are quite sharp and most are made of fine quality...however, you cannot just say that they are the best sword EVAR.

Also, when I say shield, I'm not talking about a leather buckler. I doubt ANY sword can "slice through" some of the tougher kinds of shields.
Posted Image

#46 Ambushed

Ambushed
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:03 AM

I would actually have to say staff,because of the reason how most staffs are magic,and therefore i think the classes to use them are cool,as in when u use magic,maybe not the best attacking weapon,but my favorite 'Weapon' just as is.
Ambushed in-game.

Play Time : 1 year 10 months

#47 surkillalot

surkillalot
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:12 AM

my fav would have to be the sword i dont know y i just love em :) :blink: :blink:
Good Vs. Evil who will win???

No images allowed in signatures - Crane

#48 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:15 AM

I think it's just because swords are so...over-used.

The hero almost always weilds one, the same with the (main) bad guy. The sword has come to be known as a symbol of power and authority.
Posted Image

#49 Metatron

Metatron
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

Also, when I say shield, I'm not talking about a leather buckler. I doubt ANY sword can "slice through" some of the tougher kinds of shields.

Thats where the maces come in a nice big spikey one could smash a shield to pieces :)

~Agmar~

#50 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 07:25 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, the buldgeon was the weapon that was designed for breaking shields, not the mace.
Posted Image

#51 JaceBowman

JaceBowman
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:49 AM

I'd probably go with the Scythe or if not that, the Enchanted Bow or the Arcane Mighty Composite Bow or whatever would fall into that catagory lol.
The war between us and the pkers will go on and on.

Ingame as: Bowlin_Iii or Bowlin_The_Final.

#52 Metatron

Metatron
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, the buldgeon was the weapon that was designed for breaking shields, not the mace.

probably but thats not to say it couldnt
*Go-Mace-Go*

~Agmar~

#53 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:59 AM

A gun wasn't meant to break through shields but "that's not to say it couldn't." :)
Posted Image

#54 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:16 AM

And thus we find ourselves back at the 'scientifically speaking, man can actually walk through a wall' debate.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#55 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:56 PM

Can you imagine being able to walk through walls? Hehe....

But then.... if you could walk through walls what would stop you from falling through the floor.... Man that would suck.
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#56 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:30 PM

I go with swords hand down, the Ragnarok in FF games rules. Ragnarok is also an Online Game I think.

Edited by Ryuku, 25 March 2004 - 09:31 PM.

#57 Indominable

Indominable
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:21 PM

hmm i would say a sword, but i would also vote for gun if i can vote again...
but if you can get a sword in your right hand and a gun in your left hand, that'll be even better in a RPG.
on second thought why not a gunblade :blink: just like in FF7 (i think :) )
you can shoot enemies in far range and slice and dice em in close range :blink:

#58 Ork

Ork
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:03 PM

I would have to say scythe.

took the words right out of my... fingers.

anyway i voted whip though mainly because i used to play castlevania, and simons quest about 10 hours a day when i was growing up... those were the days.

#59 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:54 PM

What a terrible night to be cursed.
Posted Image

#60 Oasis

Oasis
  • Members
  • 382 posts