Hehe

#32 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

Attached File  osback.gif   62.46KB   0 downloads

as you can see, looks better in the photo...

Posted Image
If you build it, they will come.

#33 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

Unfortunately, non-staff don't have permission to download files from the forum - clicking that link returns an error message for me stating that I don't have permission.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#34 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

the forum was bugging out earlier so its the same image as the one dispalyed

#35 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

You go Simon. I love everything you've described so far. Only thing I don't like about it is the font, not working for me. Like the map, equip and screen layout. Keep up the good work, looking sexy.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#36 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

I'm officially sceptical.

Good luck, it's looking good. I'll believe it when I see it though. And even if by some miracle it is ever released how long before development, advertising and promotion come to a complete halt and loyal players are left wondering what the point of playing further is?

Way to give hope to the believers though. I really hope one day I can see this.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#37 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

I am not really bothered about the client appearence until I have all the features added and I can play around with it then.

So, I am afraid you will have to live with it being ugly for now ;p

I made it a nice shade of brown but I don't think it really helps much.

Oh, and most of the development is behind the scenes now, I can't really demonstrate how missing graphics are downloaded almost instantly without opening a new connection.

Posted Image

Sorry for nicking the graphic from nightmist, just need to use some to test things! Kudos to whoever drew it.

#38 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

Omg is it the year 2002!?

Oh wait.....no....
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#39 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

Hey, check me out!

Posted Image

#40 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Lmaoade!
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#41 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

lol just lol

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#42 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5239 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:39 AM

I don't know why, but doing a mirror image of Gareth of yourself is funny...
Copycat...
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#43 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

lol, I would make a more current version but I don't have a desktop PC

#44 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

I don't know why, but doing a mirror image of Gareth of yourself is funny...
Copycat...

The picture is of Simon lol.

#45 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5239 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

Wait---the picture Gareth posted is of Simon?
I guess that makes sense...
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#46 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, Simon posted it years ago when he was working on the game.

#47 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:16 AM

Progress continues, I have successfully implemented NPCs and event handlers now, so NPCs can react to players and other NPCs performing actions.

Next I have to work out how to finish implementing monster spawning. I need to work out a good system.

Once that's done there will be some tidying up and stuff, including converting some behind the scenes server stuff to xml, and then I can build the first city.

Update:

Some of the XML work is done, user password encryption in the database is also done (no storing passwords in plain text!)

#48 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

Almost half of the monster spawning code is complete now, after some heavy work on the map editor. Placing monsters should be a piece of cake once it's completed.

A few finishing touches and a conversion to XML should make the map editor complete (for now).

Then all that remains is for the server code, which will read the monster information that the map editor has made and spawn the monsters accordingly.

After that I have everything I need to begin creating the game map.

Edit:

XML is 95% completed. Next is monster spawn code to interpret what monsters were set to spawn in the map editor. Getting there.

#49 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

True, but if anybody is interested in the progress, check out http://www.blackages.co.nr

Anyway...

I'm a little curious about Opal Spheres now, being around at the time it was actually being developed with Valerie (I think her name was), or something that began with V, and she was the artist if I remember correctly. Her husband played aswel but for the life of me I can't remember who it was. I'm pretty sure they also played Deity Online, the first version. I was going to continue development myself on Deity Online 2, but Sepherus lost the server code and Moonripper deleted his copy, and Thor was nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, i'd love to have another MUD in the family, since there isn't many of us (Nightmist, RoK, Rev, and Black Ages when it's released), so far the first 3 games are fairly different from each other, and I know Black Ages will also differ from them.

Opal Spheres looks good so far, but PLEASE get rid of those tree menus, they look aweful.

Aren't you that guy who used to start Nightmist rip-offs only to move onto other (just as poor) Nightmist rip-offs without finishing the prior?

Edited by Deval, 08 June 2008 - 09:00 AM.

"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#50 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

Nope, this is the first time i've ever attempted to make a text-based MUD. Black Ages to be fair isn't completely my game. Another member of the game asked me to help, so I thought I'd accept the offer.

#51 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

I can't find my map book that contains a map of OS ;o

#52 Shera

Shera
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

I would lend a hand with this if you need it Si. You know my background is in VB but i could self-teach. But its probably a bad idea as it would just involve hours of Treasure Quest.

<3 Jase
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. - Paul Fix

#53 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

Oh man. OS is so close I can taste it. Seems like this is something that you are actually, dare I say, putting a substantial amount of effort into? gg and keep it up.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#54 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

Aren't you that guy who used to start Nightmist rip-offs only to move onto other (just as poor) Nightmist rip-offs without finishing the prior?

Yes, although this is the first time i've ever attempted to make a text-based MUD.

I corrected that typo you made :ph34r:
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#55 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

Well no. The only projects I've worked on are M:RPGe (Now called PlayerRealms) which is one of the most popular 2D online adventure game creation utilities, Deloria Online (aka Rucarda), which ran for a fair while and was very active, and now Black Ages, which is a new project.

Deloria Online:
Posted Image

PlayerRealms:
Posted Image

Personally I think I've worked hard on these projects, and I've never quit. Deloria Online went over to different hands, but has recently been abandoned, so I may take over it again depending on my time.

But I've never made any nightmist rip-off games that i've started and quit.

#56 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

Hmm I wrote a 2d nightmist game as an experiment once (well, twice actually...). I just don't have the confidence to go all the way with it.

As for OS its on hold because real life is kicking my ass right now, work and women are the bane of my existance.

#57 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hmm I wrote a 2d nightmist game as an experiment once (well, twice actually...). I just don't have the confidence to go all the way with it.

As for OS its on hold because real life is kicking my ass right now, work and women are the bane of my existance.

I told you to stop seeing those students out of school hours simon

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#58 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:10 AM

Woo, free time! I had a bit of free time so I finished the map editor. The map editor code is now big and ugly and extremely confusing. It works now though, and you can make areas, zone monsters, and design the minimap seperately to the actual map and use any colours you like.
It's still a bit ugly but I'll work something out.

Next job is to create the first part of the world map, and then to see if I can get some npcs to spawn in the starting town. For a laugh I made a map of Nightmist City that you can walk around in with a nice minimap.

#59 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

ROFL Simon I did the same thing when testing my initial map system code:

Posted Image

Besides PlayerRealms (Which has been on hold for a while because of real life issues not giving me enough time to work on 2 projects), I don't really dabble in 2D games anymore.

One thing I will say, I've yet to see the table-top version of Nightmist which started this whole thing off.

#60 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5239 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

O wow! I never found and 2D MUD type games.
That sounds so appealing right now. Like a classic Final Fantasy game, but in an extended system. Really though, I just want to play Final Fantasy games...they're not as classic as the SNES FFIII or the all-time classic FF7 now, but they're still brilliant.

Anyone have recommendations for 3D or 2D games that could be similar to the FF series?
I prefer actual games instead of massive online games like Conquor and Eudemons, but I've also enjoyed some time on those, and would be up for trying a new one, if there is something good floating around.

Have a PC, Xbox360, N64, SNES, NES, GameBoy, and Nintendo-DS (shamefully at the age of 20)...
Honestly, if the new Final Fantasy game (13?) comes out for PS3 only, I'll probably buy a PS3.
Friend clarified this, as I post later.

So those are the systems to talk about, and of course, anything that can be put on ROMs and Emulators...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users