1-alt Limit.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#31 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:53 PM

That would be awesome. It makes the nekos happy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by newb, 03 March 2004 - 05:54 PM.

Westcoast

#32 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:33 PM

It's the people like you who are totally ruining the game.

No, it's the people who steal crits and are rude to other players....but i forgive you :)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#33 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:49 PM

*gets all antzy*

New Nightmist with 1-alt limit! Woot!

...You got my hopes up. JLH better not bring these hopes crashing down on my head or I will be uber sad. T_T
Posted Image

#34 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:42 AM

/me gives Squee a pillow.

Don't get your hopes up, wear this on your head, otherwise it's going to hurt :)
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#35 Guest_Angelus_*

Guest_Angelus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:10 PM

Actually its the people like him who keep this game alive. They play it how JLH intended it to be played.

Edited by Angelus, 04 March 2004 - 03:10 PM.

#36 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

They keep it alive, but they are making it worse.

It's like Smeagol and The Ring. It keeps him alive, but it makes him worse. You know. Something like that.

Westcoast

#37 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:30 PM

Yeees something like that :)

The game works in vicious circles but as long as everyone has fun, well yeah, everyone's happy :blink:

#38 Harky

Harky
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

The game has a lot of potential, if it keeps on the course it's currently on, it'll never meet it. The majority of the playerbase seem to be satisfied with this, and if JLH and/or Pan can say the same thing then I'll accept defeat and never post on any of these threads that include suggestions which are so obviously needed again.

And for those that say otherwise, noone's suggesting an alt limitation alone will fix all the game's problems - many things need changing. The alt limitation, however, needs to be at least considered before any of them can even be considered.

#39 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:56 AM

It's like Smeagol and The Ring. It keeps him alive, but it makes him worse. You know. Something like that.

heh. wheeeeeee lookit me im in control of nightmist im gonna make it bow down to my every whim and fantasy mwahaha arent i teh evil master all will fall before my mighty army of alts woot woot

Anyways, bearing all this in mind, if alts are really that bad, have a reset or something. Sure some people would quit (myself not included), but you could make it 1 crit only, and also put in some kind of good/evil alignment system, maybe?

But then maybe JLH (/bow) likes alts?

#40 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:26 PM

Reset won't happen unless something majorly bad happens. As in, his files getting deleted and stuff.

Westcoast

#41 Fusion

Fusion
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:54 AM

Yea if there was another reset I'm sure about 70% of the players quit expecially for all who put a bunch of time into getting to where they are. Anyway nuff of my nonsense.

3 ALTS!!!

#42 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, training mages doesn't take a lot of time. I mean, it's one of the easiest things to do. Obviously, any two-bit floozy could simply roll a perfect 4-stated mage and train it to level 30. You don't even have to be rich. It's not like you're buying mana all the time. Oh, and they can pretty much sustain themselves. Who needs a party? They last forever out in the field.

I don't know who you are but just because someone has 1 alt or 100 alts, doesn't neccessarily mean one worked harder than the other.
Posted Image

#43 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:16 AM

Squee that is a mage issue not an alt issue but I agree with the whole 1 or 100 alts means nothing though Crusher and Amy have it down to an art form.
Chairman of The Warriors of The Mist, The Great and Powerful Wizard

Skippy the Peanut Butter Fiend.

#44 Shadic

Shadic
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:17 AM

Actually its the people like him who keep this game alive. They play it how JLH intended it to be played.

Actually the original Nightmist was made by Pandilex as a tabletop pen&paper RPG, and as far as I know, you don't have any "alts" on those. :)

#45 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:27 PM

It was always made by JLH although Pandilex designed most of it.

#46 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5239 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 08:54 PM

Meh, i can't really think of a good reason why, but i like alts. I like how they can work together to help accomplish different things, (mages invis a party of 5 for pking purposes, clerics can spell up for the same, also for killing bosses, etc.) and yes, i like the power of having 10+ crits on at once. And i don't really care much for role-playing, i don't have enough time/patience/attention span - the way i play nightmist is more reminiscent of the way i play an empire-building strategy game - work until i have the most/best stuff, and then just sit there. (lol)

Anyhow, not sure if i've made any coherent arguments for the use of alts here, and if i have, i'm not sure whether they make any sense.....oh well. Alts get my vote :)

Exactly how I play. I don't want an alt limit simply because I don't want to have to play with others. I mean sure, there are cool people in game, but there aren't enough to make me want to have to work with people for a lot of bosses, to train, or to fight if i wanted to. It has absolutly nothing to do with wanting to pk easily and constantly. I just don't want to have to actually play with the other children, just talk to them and stuff.

If that is ruining the game half as much as the people constantly complaining about not having good enough crits, people stealing, people saying people are stealing, and basically the entire nightmist world's attitude (which overall is nutsty towards one another, but there are close net groups of friends and stuff)...then I probably should stop playing, i may be the biggest damage on this game if just wanting to be on my own when i want to do stuff on my own is bad.

And another thing, why the hell does everyone seem to think nightmist should work with their idea of a normal text game, d&d style game, or anything else for that matter? This isn't fking d&d, why should it be changed so that it is similar to other games when as it is right now owns the other games, especially D2, i cant even stand to create a game in there anymore because it bores me so much not being able to just do like i do in nightmist, logging on a party and controlling them rather than 1 crit and just running around like a dumbass.

Edited by Gaddy, 15 March 2004 - 08:57 PM.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#47 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

I take huge offence to that.

Because I roleplay, I'm a dumbass? Because I would rather use just one character, you're better than me? Because I can see that putting in a 1-alt limit could open so many more opprutunities for Nightmist, my opinion doesn't matter?

Maybe Nightmist isn't the game for you. It seems to me that you'd rather create an army and completely overwhelm your enemies with it. Maybe Warcraft is more of your style, not a MuD.

Edited by Squee, 15 March 2004 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image

#48 Silverwizard

Silverwizard
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:14 PM

Very well put Squee, an RTS is for people who want to have hundreds of people under their control not an RPG.
Chairman of The Warriors of The Mist, The Great and Powerful Wizard

Skippy the Peanut Butter Fiend.

#49 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 12:47 AM

I actually trained with someone today. Like, not just going to kill a boss, i trained with him for about 3 hours, and boy, did it feel weird. I kept thinking i ought to say something, lol.

The thing with roleplaying is, people like me and Gaddy here don't really understand it (side note: my brother was talking to Amy of Draco the other day, and she's a pro RPer, and he...well...he tried. He did well to ignore all my suggestions :blink:) - we'd rather just get on and play the game.

I think what Gaddy is basically saying is that sure, you all say that Nightmist would be improved with more scope for RPing and one alt, because thats what you like doing. Every coin has 2 sides, though, and we just like ths other side: we say Nightmist is better with lots of alts. And i agree, it does beat lots of 1-alt games, they have a tendency to bore me :)

That's all for now :blink:

#50 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 01:00 AM

Again, if you want to do that, pick up Warcraft III. You get to play a hero AND manage an army. That's what it seems like what you really want from Nightmist.
Posted Image

#51 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 01:02 AM

I never RP in game, in fact I despise RP'ing on the client in game, yet I prefer to only use one character at a time. It's not solely for RP, that is just a major element in the argument. I too like to get on and play the game. I liked it when you would go to rose gardens to train with a mate, run into opponents of equal force, have a fun fight using our mains which we were proud of, that we strove to make better. Instead the game is now a bunch of bones heads with boring, ugly, basic characters, with nothing unique about them, nothing distinct, who figure if they aint got the skills, well at least they got the alts.

#52 surkillalot

surkillalot
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 01:13 AM

i like what Oracle said earlyer just make a new game basicly the same ast nightmist but 1 player limit or 1 player 1 alt it would be fun no more armys whole new areas new bosse new everything i think that would be great cause this is a one of a kind game and i sure would like to play another game just like it :)
Good Vs. Evil who will win???

No images allowed in signatures - Crane

#53 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 03:54 AM

Let me just take a minute to point out to you how long the current Nightmist map took to develop. Yeah I thought so, thanks for coming.

P.S You willing to fund JLH in that kind of venture? Oh right... Ok, well please see quip above.

#54 Shadic

Shadic
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:05 AM

Possibly a different "realm" type thing, that would allow us to play in a world where each person can only have 1 alt?

Just like, with Diablo 2, and the realms... You don't see, know, or care about people on other realms. And, it would make the 10-alters happy, and those who wish to play with only a single character...

The world doesn't even have to be different, the only tweaking I could image would be like, 1.1 times more exp (As soloing is difficult) so you have to adventure in parties, with others. Now, even with everything the exact same, it would require people to think very differently about the game, and have to seriously team up to fight any boss, expecially those which give out largely needed items. (Halberd comes to mind)

#55 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:54 AM

No, it's the people who steal crits and are rude to other players....but i forgive you :)

:blink: You go girl !!
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#56 Tienno

Tienno
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:22 PM

Ok, 1 alt game.......... good idea? bad idea? honestly, no idea! to some this is idea of role playing is the be all and end all and good on them i applaud you for trying to entice a little fantasy into a game that some times lacks imagination. To those i say write new scenarios for the game as you would be ideal to make new encounters and adventures such as the war between arilin and harabec.

To those who want to log on 20 alts and pk til death runs out of ways to give you kicks i say this, good on you! you are playing the game as you see fit. JLH alloud you to log alts on which was never the case. Now I'd like to take you back a few years to the days when we used to cheer like crazed banshees because we had 10 people online. In those days we used to sit in the local pub of which we used to have sysops sat there too talking and moaning to JLH because "This game is boring it needs changing" JLH responded "What do you want to change?" and the answer was........ "We want multiple log ins!" So as you can see we have gone full circle. We campaigned to get these multiple log ons to increase the image of the game and be able to do so much more with the game. The first day we could log on multiple people we partied like it was 1999......... wait i think it actually was!!

Anyway my point here is no one is right and no one is wrong, but im glad its being discussed as, to me, it seems we have a community and the community want to better the game again. Personally sometimes i like logging on 3 or four alts and sometimes i like to be alone. The game needs something more but at the moment im quite happy with the level of fighting i end up in with pkers and also im glad a war is being planned as it gives people a sense of community again.

Pkers keep doing what tyou are doing and make sure the game develops the way you want, Roleplayers keep roleplaying and make sure the game develops the way you want. Both groups can interact in one game and get along i believe so lets not go back to how we were, the past is the past but lets move on to the future and make Nightmist enjoyable for all again.

Jesus i feel like winston churchill addressing the troops!

Tienno :)
I will always give my 2 cents no matter what. You can bet your last dollar on that one!

#57 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

Hmmm, oddly enough I dont remember many people pre-reset using alts after it was introduced. I mean SURE everyone tried it, but a lot of people got bored with it, and went back to the one alt way of play.

That, and I hardly found pre-reset nightmist boring. I could acctually go kill bosses with one alt *Or have a damn good chance at least*. I dunno, I guess its a matter of opinion, eh?
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#58 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:48 PM

I don't recall any players using alts pre-reset.

#59 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:01 PM

...im glad a war is being planned...

What an odd thing to say.
Posted Image

#60 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:53 AM

If you want to improve nightmist try adding more quests. sure they will take a whole lot of work, but in the end, they are worth every hour spent. That would keep everyone happy. new areas, new quests, new items. Materialistic people always want more. it is the only way to keep them happy. (of course, almost everyone is materialistic)

Edited by green_mantis, 22 April 2004 - 02:54 AM.

I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users